Fire Petzing now

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Apropos the subject of this thread, I think Warner's analysis almost completely exonerates Petzing. Much as in Kingsbury's offense, plays are well designed and guys are getting open.

Warner points out some tweaks that could improve the play design or execution, the responsibility for which falls on coaching.

A big flaw seems to be that Murray is setting to throw before routes have developed enough to let him see who's about to come open. Coaching him to slow down his backpedal or add a step seems as though it would be a lot more effective than shortening the routes.

I felt as though Kingsbury kept on simplifying the offense and limiting the playbook to plays that Murray was able to execute properly, resulting in playcalling that was too predictable and horizontal. Seems as though the same might be happening with Petzing. Not much pew-pew is going on.

Both play designers / callers were effective for a while, then went downhill. Murray is the common denominator.
If that is what Kurt thinks then I owe Drew an apology. Not that Drew cares but it's the principle of the thing.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apropos the subject of this thread, I think Warner's analysis almost completely exonerates Petzing. Much as in Kingsbury's offense, plays are well designed and guys are getting open.

Warner points out some tweaks that could improve the play design or execution, the responsibility for which falls on coaching.

A big flaw seems to be that Murray is setting to throw before routes have developed enough to let him see who's about to come open. Coaching him to slow down his backpedal or add a step seems as though it would be a lot more effective than shortening the routes.

I felt as though Kingsbury kept on simplifying the offense and limiting the playbook to plays that Murray was able to execute properly, resulting in playcalling that was too predictable and horizontal. Seems as though the same might be happening with Petzing. Not much pew-pew is going on.

Both play designers / callers were effective for a while, then went downhill. Murray is the common denominator.

So after watching this it does appear to me the problem is mostly Kyler.

Guys are open, but he seems to always be rushing to get the pass off before the route that forces the defense to commit is occurring. I am not sure how much of this is him not trusting his pass blocking (somewhat understandable) and how much is him simply not understanding what he needs to be waiting for.

i wish I could say I thought this was correctable, but this is year 6 and he should not still be having these kind of issues.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after watching this it does appear to me the problem is mostly Kyler.

Guys are open, but he seems to always be rushing to get the pass off before the route that forces the defense to commit is occurring. I am not sure how much of this is him not trusting his pass blocking (somewhat understandable) and how much is him simply not understanding what he needs to be waiting for.

i wish I could say I thought this was correctable, but this is year 6 and he should not still be having these kind of issues.
Here’s what I can’t get out of my head. Last year, with Dobbs, we were all really excited about the offense and guys were getting open downfield and we were taking shots… Dobbs just couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn.

Everyone to a man thought that Kyler could lift the offense simply because he was definitely a better passer than Dobbs. But now, with Kyler and the same passing options or better, no one is getting open and Petzig is obviously horrible… despite him scheming a better offense than we thought and coming into the season with some heat … and despite the fact that last guy (Kingsbury) blamed for Kyler’s woes is lighting the league up with a rookie QB everyone here thought would bust, one good WR and a middling core everywhere else that had no success last year.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here’s what I can’t get out of my head. Last year, with Dobbs, we were all really excited about the offense and guys were getting open downfield and we were taking shots… Dobbs just couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn.

Everyone to a man thought that Kyler could lift the offense simply because he was definitely a better passer than Dobbs. But now, with Kyler and the same passing options or better, no one is getting open and Petzig is obviously horrible… despite him scheming a better offense than we thought and coming into the season with some heat … and despite the fact that last guy (Kingsbury) blamed for Kyler’s woes is lighting the league up with a rookie QB everyone here thought would bust, one good WR and a middling core everywhere else that had no success last year.
Uh, how many games did Dobbs actually win?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It goes without saying that these RESULTS are not what they want. But, they’ve also said like 1000 times, that they are process driven & not results driven. And they believe in the current process. Granted, eventually that process needs to result in production, but they don’t seem to be concerned in the least JUST YET. Something has to give here soon.
I think they are concerned behind the scenes and would be crazy not to be.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they are concerned behind the scenes and would be crazy not to be.
I agree. I miss the days when coaches like Mora would come out after a game and criticize his team for playing like crap lol. Now, all we get is coach speak. It’s so damn boring.

602 Native

All Star
Reaction score
I'm glad he's not going to shy away from it. QB sneak is such a high percentage play and Kyler is normally pretty terrible at converting 3rd and inches.

For me it encapsulates why this dude is a terrible OC.

The tush push is perfect for Hurts. He’s big and can squat a Mack truck. In other words his OC has created things in the offense that utilize his unique skills.

Petzing does the opposite with K1. Instead of using a dynamic player he creates a plodding offense that doesn’t take advantage of the dude. Few rollouts, bootlegs, moving the pocket to create lanes to throw.

Instead it’s dive right left and some play action when everyone knows it’s coming.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For me it encapsulates why this dude is a terrible OC.

The tush push is perfect for Hurts. He’s big and can squat a Mack truck. In other words his OC has created things in the offense that utilize his unique skills.

Petzing does the opposite with K1. Instead of using a dynamic player he creates a plodding offense that doesn’t take advantage of the dude. Few rollouts, bootlegs, moving the pocket to create lanes to throw.

Instead it’s dive right left and some play action when everyone knows it’s coming.
Slight disagreement. I think getting teams to play bigger personnel groups actually helps Kyler as he can run away from those guys easier, but I agree that they don't seem to be emphasizing his rushing which they should.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I hear this guy talking football it blows my mind why he isn’t in coaching. Elite offensive mind
Yeah love listening to Kurt. He really understands offenses and how to attack defenses.

Glad to see so many opportunities there in the passing game.