FJ hot seat article

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this was a pretty good article from Dan Bickley accepts the card at the end where he names Doug Collins and Pat Riley as possible replacements.

Joe Mama

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/1119bickley1119.html

Win cools hot seat for now

The Arizona Republic
Nov. 19, 2003 12:00 AM

It is hours before tip-off, and Frank Johnson is alone in the basement of America West Arena. Down the hall, members of the Orlando Magic are addressing the sudden dismissal of Doc Rivers.

For a head coach catching his own whiff of trouble, the scene is a little too close for comfort.

"Every time you get in this business, you hear a phrase: You're hired to be fired," Johnson said.

This is a strange time in the Valley. Our teams stink and we're running out of hot seats for all the coaches in peril. Dave McGinnis is walking the green mile, Dirk Koetter may have to sacrifice his defensive coordinator and the Coyotes' coach is hanging on by his ties. John Mackovic has already been fired in Tucson, and when baseball comes out of hibernation, Bob Brenly will feel the breath on his neck and Mark Grace biding time in the broadcast booth.

Being Frank
Suns coach Frank Johnson's career coaching record with the team.
Season W/L Pct. Playoffs
2001-02 11-20 .355 0-0
2002-03 44-38 .537 2-4
2003-04 4-6 .400 ?
TOTAL 59-64 .479 2-4
And now, just 10 games into the NBA grind, Johnson's feet have landed in this wicked stew.

On Tuesday, the Suns authored a much-needed blowout. They passed the ball and poked holes in the opposing defense. They beat the wretched Bulls and calmed the growing storm.

But this story isn't going away just yet.

Father and son Colangelo have been greatly disappointed with the pedigree of their basketball team. The Suns have shown a tendency to wither in the fourth quarter of games. Their focus has been a little off center. And in the brutally tough Western Conference, it can get late very early.

The Suns are in the midst of a cozy stretch of games, with six of the next seven at home. If this team hasn't turned a corner before departing for the East Coast on Dec. 4, well, you know how impatient and proactive Jerry Colangelo can be.

Johnson understands the situation, but he wonders if people understand his. He claims the loss of Bo Outlaw hurts more than anyone realizes, that the Suns have missed his energy and lunch-bucket mentality. Then he spoke cryptically of some internal issues plaguing the team.

"When you have a lot of young players, it's like kids," Johnson said. "You're going to have situations, problems to deal with when your kids are young. And when they're older, the kids look back and say, 'Hey, thanks for helping me through these difficult (times), thanks for understanding.' And as they get older, they understand what you're trying to do as a parent.

"Well, it's the same thing here. We have a group of guys here who are very talented players . . . (but) we don't have enough of those young guys who are willing to do some of the dirty work. The mentality for young players, and we're no different, is everybody wants to score, give it to me, let me get mine. And I think we're fighting a little bit of that right now."

Johnson may be right about the challenges of a younger team, but he is overstating the importance of Outlaw. It is also a dangerous thing to subtly point a finger upstairs at General Manager Bryan Colangelo, who needed to dump Outlaw's salary yet nimbly upgraded the overall talent of the group.

"Now, skillwise, did we get a little better there? Yeah," Johnson said. "But they're still young skilled players and certainly still trying to learn the league."

Yet that same learning curve applies to Johnson. When he was awarded a three-year contract in February 2001, the Suns hoped he would grow with a young team. They provided his assistants, keeping Johnson on a short leash. They knew then what they know now, that it won't require antacid to swallow his modest contract.

It is worth noting that the elder Colangelo has had a long history of promoting assistants, from Paul Westphal to Danny Ainge, from Scott Skiles to Johnson. Longing for a NBA championship to complement his World Series ring, Colangelo may have had enough of the in-house promotions.

Pat Riley is out there. So is Doug Collins, who lives in Scottsdale.

Regardless of alternatives, Johnson is on the clock, just like the day he got the gig.

Except the ticking is getting louder. And while Tuesday's win was nice, a few more encores are a necessity, not a luxury.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
FJ's demise is inevitable.

JC is probably trying to line up the replacement right now. Its interesting that Riley was mentioned as "out there."

There is obviously a disconnect between FJ and management. My guess is that started way back with the Hancock scandal. But the players liked FJ and the C's didn't want to upset them. They also knew that he was likely to fail, so they gave him a 3 year contract with alot of fluff.

For FJ to start complaining about not having Bo, is a sign that he already knows he is gone. BTW, if we still had Bo, he'd be our starting center and we wouldn't have White.

If Bob Young says that Riley is "out there" then it might be a real possibility. Riley would be an interesting choice here. He has proven to be a fairly adaptable coach over the years. He demands great defense but also had a great running teams in LA. Just the type of thing JC wants.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oops. I just noticed its a Bickley article and not Bob Young. If it was Young, the Riley speculation might have some substance.

If its Bickley, it lends no credibility to the idea whatsoever. It might as well be a post on the ESPN board.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Also, Riley has stated very, very clearly that he has no interest in an immediate return to coaching.

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like an assistant from an established in successful coaching staff. Someone from Sacramento or Utah would be nice. I really do not want to see Pat Riley even if he is available. Same goes for Doug Collins.

Joe Mama

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Obviously Bickley does not read this board or he would have mentioned old smirk face....George Karl as a possible replacement too.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Also, I believe that Riley owns something like 10% of the Heat. I believe he wanted a percentage of the Knicks and he left in a huff because they wouldn't go for him owning any part of the team. Riley comes with a NY attitude so either you love him for it or hate him. I have that same attitude (I'm a born and bred New Yorker). He played High School ball less than 20 miles from where I was brought up. His problem is that he runs his guys into the ground during practice. They always end up hurt. Do we need to take that chance? There is something called too much practice and he is an advocate of that. Just to let you know...I love his style... he looks so mafia savvy. That greasy look is something else!!!! He would rule this team with an iron hand.....but fairly, unlike Skiles!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
I would like an assistant from an established in successful coaching staff. Someone from Sacramento or Utah would be nice.

Joe Mama

PJ Carlisemo? :D

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Doc Rivers is like a surlier, more egotistical version of FJ. No thanks there.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pat Riley on our bench, but not this year. It would be better to bring him in next year or the year after, when the team is ready to start chasing rings in a serious way (like when Jerry West brought in Phil Jax).

Riley would definitely instill discipline on both ends, but bring him in too early, and he'll slag the players before the team gets to the top.

George Karl scares me--he's a better coach than FJ, but I don't think he'd be an improvement, if you catch my drift.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by JCSunsfan
Oops. I just noticed its a Bickley article and not Bob Young. If it was Young, the Riley speculation might have some substance.

If its Bickley, it lends no credibility to the idea whatsoever. It might as well be a post on the ESPN board.

It doesn't matter if its a Bickley or Young article because he was just giving alternatives on available coaches. He never said the Suns made contacts.