For Those of You Who Continue to Apologize for Sarver

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing about the draft and who we could have gotten and blah blah blah. Bottomline, Sarver was geared towards winning NOW and not waiting on draft picks to develop. So he signed guys like Marcus Banks (who came off a good year) instead of drafting a pg....and it turned out to be wrong...so what. Hinesight is 20/20 and it gets tiresome hearing the Monday morning quarterbacks second guessing everything.

Do you even know what the definition of hindsight or monday morning quarterback are? It means looking back, people complain. That absolutely wasn't the case with most of Sarver's decisions. People were loud and clear about how awful those decisions were AT THE TIME he made them. That's called foresight.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Do you even know what the definition of hindsight or monday morning quarterback are? It means looking back, people complain. That absolutely wasn't the case with most of Sarver's decisions. People were loud and clear about how awful those decisions were AT THE TIME he made them. That's called foresight.

This reminds me of the "same old Cards" of a few years ago. People who heavily criticize an obvious bad move get labeled darksiders or are told since the people in charge are paid professionals there is no way a fan could accurately evaluate a move and have to give it time. Time passes and no one can mention said bad move without being told hindsight is 20/20.

I was livid at the KT trade but was told losing KT wasn't a big deal and Brian Skinner would be just as good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of the "same old Cards" of a few years ago. People who heavily criticize an obvious bad move get labeled darksiders or are told since the people in charge are paid professionals there is no way a fan could accurately evaluate a move and have to give it time. Time passes and no one can mention said bad move without being told hindsight is 20/20.

I was livid at the KT trade but was told losing KT wasn't a big deal and Brian Skinner would be just as good.

yup. I also used to love the Skinner at... ah, I'm not opening this can of worms again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing Sarver does not have anyone out front doing PR. Sarver has a history of doing things unexpectedly like signing Shaq. It would not surprise me in the least if he went from penny pinching mode to extending Amare close to the salary he wants. This would be so like Sarver unless he plans to sell the Suns.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I suspect I'd be listed as a Sarver defender in many past debates. Realitically, the charges that he was generally cheep simply did not stand up and I said so. In any case, I'm not conviced the Kerr disaster is due to Sarver merely being cheep, but a more complex ego batle.

Why did Sarver THINK he needed to cut Kerr's salary? By all accounts, vastly exceeding expectations should have meant an increase, but I get the feeling the decision was made a year ago although it was unfair.

The tact that the TNT job had just opened up meant that Kerr had another option to the grind of being an NBA GM. The TNT gig might not pay the same per year, but those guys seem to have a lot of job security compared to GM's. It was not a good time for Sarver to try to push Kerr around.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tact that the TNT job had just opened up meant that Kerr had another option to the grind of being an NBA GM. The TNT gig might not pay the same per year, but those guys seem to have a lot of job security compared to GM's. It was not a good time for Sarver to try to push Kerr around.

Maybe Sarver was pushing Kerr around on purpose by offering him a pay cut when there was the television opening. Sarver must have known Kerr would choose TV before taking a pay cut when I think most all in the NBA perceived Kerr was in order for a pay raise. IMO, Kerr rightfully had pride to reevaluate his situation as this was an insult and a matter of pride. Now what is Sarver thinking?

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All you people that automaticaly want to blame sarver should read the newest article posted on valleyofthesuns.com. After reading it I believe what kerr said at the press conference is 100% true.

SunsFanVegas

Registered
Reaction score
I still don't buy it. All Kerr is saying is the "right" thing to say so as not to throw mud or actually tell us the truth that we all know anyway. He is jumping a sinking ship because of what the owner is doing. Why would Kerr, or anyone in that position have a good year like he has, gotten his team to the WCF, and then just walk away because he misses his family? I would think he would want to do all he could to finally get over the hump and at least try to get a ring for this franchise and himself as a GM. It's like working for a few years to get that promotion or buy that new house you dream of and getting sooooo close, but then just walk away and give some lame excuse for not reaching your goal. It just doesn't add up. But that is just my opinion. Something far more is going on behind the scenes that we don't know about yet.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I still don't buy it. All Kerr is saying is the "right" thing to say so as not to throw mud or actually tell us the truth that we all know anyway. He is jumping a sinking ship because of what the owner is doing. Why would Kerr, or anyone in that position have a good year like he has, gotten his team to the WCF, and then just walk away because he misses his family? I would think he would want to do all he could to finally get over the hump and at least try to get a ring for this franchise and himself as a GM. It's like working for a few years to get that promotion or buy that new house you dream of and getting sooooo close, but then just walk away and give some lame excuse for not reaching your goal. It just doesn't add up. But that is just my opinion. Something far more is going on behind the scenes that we don't know about yet.

Did you read the article? He was saying the same thing 4 years ago before he took the job, that hes saying today. And to be frank, this team isnt able to go any higher than they are right now, its a perfect time to leave. We dont have the money to make the team any better than it is, and with this whole amare fiasco on the horizon, why not leave on top? Smart man.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I believe what kerr said at the press conference is 100% true.

You're either extremely gullible or the victim of cognitive dissonance. Kerr is no idiot. Clearly he's not going to bad mouth Sarver, or he'd blacklist himself for any other NBA job.

Maybe you didn't watch the playoffs, the playoffs in which Kerr was completely invested and it was mentioned time and time again that his plan was to sign a new contract and stay on board. You really think he suddenly got the compunction to spend more time with his family?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You're either extremely gullible or the victim of cognitive dissonance. Kerr is no idiot. Clearly he's not going to bad mouth Sarver, or he'd blacklist himself for any other NBA job.

Protecting Sarver will go a long way in procuring his next GM job. If you can stay loyal to an idiot like that then we can trust you with anything.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's amazing Sarver does not have anyone out front doing PR. Sarver has a history of doing things unexpectedly like signing Shaq. It would not surprise me in the least if he went from penny pinching mode to extending Amare close to the salary he wants. This would be so like Sarver unless he plans to sell the Suns.

Your're joking right? Have you listened to gambo and ash, they are his publicists.

I didn't listen to gambo and ash yesterday but I can guess exactly how they handled the situation.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you people that automaticaly want to blame sarver should read the newest article posted on valleyofthesuns.com. After reading it I believe what kerr said at the press conference is 100% true.

really? and you also believe Kerr when he said he was leaving the team in a great position as he bails right before a huge summer of decision making which will now be left up to an outsider who doesn't know the personnel... or gasp... Sarver himself?

how can you swallow the company line Kerr gave when he was already in negotiations for not only himself but also with Amare. doesn't look like a guy ready to call it quits.

actions speak louder than words.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
really? and you also believe Kerr when he said he was leaving the team in a great position as he bails right before a huge summer of decision making which will now be left up to an outsider who doesn't know the personnel... or gasp... Sarver himself?

how can you swallow the company line Kerr gave when he was already in negotiations for not only himself but also with Amare. doesn't look like a guy ready to call it quits.

actions speak louder than words.

Hahahah. I am with you. It's so blatant that he is leaving for other reasons. If you think that..then you think Kerr has no class. First off, Kerr would not leave the Suns in what is arguably one of the biggest offseasons in a long time unless there was a damn good reason. He didn't offer to see the Suns through any transition or the offseason.

Plus...as stated before, Kerr is not one to lob grenades on his way out. He is not about to blast the organization when he knows the Suns are dependent on some offseason acquisitions if the team loses Amare. He wouldn't damage the teams reputation anymore knowing we need some FA or even Amare himself to possibly resign.

Bottom line is this is a "see ya" scenario. This isn't another Jerry type transition out of the organization.

This is PR work at it's finest.

Last edited:

SunsFanVegas

Registered
Reaction score
Did you read the article? He was saying the same thing 4 years ago before he took the job, that hes saying today. And to be frank, this team isnt able to go any higher than they are right now, its a perfect time to leave. We dont have the money to make the team any better than it is, and with this whole amare fiasco on the horizon, why not leave on top? Smart man.

Of course I read the article, and listened to his press conference, but there isn't a person on this earth that can convince me that he is not leaving for other reasons than just wanting to spend more time with his family or to go back to TV. He wouldn't have been in contract negotiations if his intention was to leave from the start. Kerr knows his hands would be tied severely in signing any talent to help this team let alone deal with the Amare situation. Kerr is not an idiot, he saw the handwriting on the wall, and is jumping ship. His so called "reasons for leaving" are just political politeness, period. Sarver is a complete jacka$$ and is doing his best to squash the fan's hopes in at least trying to keep a competitive team on the court. Well...at least we had a few weeks of being happy about our teams accomplishments this year.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Of course I read the article, and listened to his press conference, but there isn't a person on this earth that can convince me that he is not leaving for other reasons than just wanting to spend more time with his family or to go back to TV. He wouldn't have been in contract negotiations if his intention was to leave from the start. Kerr knows his hands would be tied severely in signing any talent to help this team let alone deal with the Amare situation. Kerr is not an idiot, he saw the handwriting on the wall, and is jumping ship. His so called "reasons for leaving" are just political politeness, period. Sarver is a complete jacka$$ and is doing his best to squash the fan's hopes in at least trying to keep a competitive team on the court. Well...at least we had a few weeks of being happy about our teams accomplishments this year.

What are you talking about? Sarver doesnt want a competitive team?? :biglaugh:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I deep downb would love to buy a Dodge Viper and I could go buy one today if I wanted to, but I might not be able to put the $$$ into it to maintain it.
On a lighter note, when the Viper first came out (over $100K twenty years ago), it did not come with air conditioning.

Have they remedied that? I don't even want to go look it up. I'm satisfied with my Dodge NITRO SUV. (Except for fuel economy, of course.)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your're joking right? Have you listened to gambo and ash, they are his publicists.

I didn't listen to gambo and ash yesterday but I can guess exactly how they handled the situation.

I have listened to Gambo and Ash enough to know not to listen to Gambo and Ash for my information.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
He probably wants one but he doesn't seem willing to do what it takes to sustain one.

Exactly. This is the same stupid argument when the Cards were in the dumps, and people continued to spin and make excuses. Of course everyone who enters any competition hopes to win, and would love if it happens, but there is a big difference between hoping these things happen, and having a well executed plan to make them happen.

Getting rid of your competent GM and alienating fans, front office personnel and most importantly players is not the way to win a championship. I wish Sarver would sell the team to someone who actually has the resources to put together and maintain a championship team. Clearly he doesn't.

Last edited:

SunsFanVegas

Registered
Reaction score
Getting rid of your competent GM and alienating fans, front office personnel and most importantly players is not the way to win a championship. I wish Sarver would sell the team to someone who actually has the resources to put together and maintain a championship team. Clearly he doesn't.

This is my wish as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Paula Boivin's article in the Republic:

"Therein lies the problem. For an organization that was so successful this season, morale around US Airways Center remains an issue. It's the big stuff, such as having to haggle over contracts on the heels of a profitable postseason. And the little stuff, such as Jason Richardson paying for teammates' breakfasts during the playoffs when a team normally would pick up the tab."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...#ixzz0r4iuv1S4

Jesus... the bolded part is Bidwill-esque.

But like I feared, the Republic basically lets him off the hook. He should be SHREDDED for how he's treated people in this organization. He's got to have naked pictures of Nash. I can't imagine any other way that Nash believes in him and signed an extension to continue playing for this piece of work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
But like I feared, the Republic basically lets him off the hook. He should be SHREDDED for how he's treated people in this organization. He's got to have naked pictures of Nash. I can't imagine any other way that Nash believes in him and signed an extension to continue playing for this piece of work.

Bob Young at least gets his shots in:

"So it came as a shock to many Tuesday that Kerr evidently broke off negotiations for a new contract and decided to part ways with the Suns and owner Robert "Low Ball" Sarver.

Maybe we should have seen this coming.

After all, there might be no better opportunity for Kerr to get out while he's back on top.

At least it's as close to the top as the Suns are likely to get as long as Sarver isn't willing to spend the money on players - and now, it appears, on his front office - to maintain a contending team."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/hea...enix-suns-steve-kerr-young.html#ixzz0r4gMrspy

SunsFanVegas

Registered
Reaction score
I truly believe that not only is Sarver cheap....but he is a lunatic. He has no idea what the hell he is doing and should not be an owner of ANY sports team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05