Four categories of Phoenix Suns fans

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I believe there are four categories of Suns fans. And I enjoy reading the points of view and opinions of ASFN posters in all four categories. I mean that!

-- One who is either a Valley or Arizona native and still here or has been here since they were old enough to root for an NBA team.

-- One who has been here for a long time. I am in that category, having visited and deciding in 1970 that I wanted to spend the rest of my life in Phoenix. I followed the Suns closely and moved my family here from the suburbs of New Jersey eight years later, when the job market loosened up.

As I have cited in the past, my first NBA game at the Madhouse on McDowell was against my then beloved Knicks (not too far removed from their two championships), but I gave my heart completely to the Suns by the second half of the game.

-- One who been here a short time and has made the Suns their favorite (even if they have a dual allegiance to their former -- now long distance -- team).

-- One who was raised a die-hard Suns fan, but left the Valley or State and remains a Suns fan from long distance. I admire that the Suns remain in their heart but have seen, reading between the lines, that they are in a separate category.

The team remains their favorite, but they are obviously not part of the community. They don't have the Arizona Republic delivered every day. Or have neighbors who live and die with the Suns.

Or can't make a last minute decision to go to a game, find a parking spot on Monroe (the City has just increased meter hours to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Damnit!) Get a delicious bacon cheeseburger at Marjerle's. And walk a couple of blocks to see a Suns, Mercury or D-backs game all throughout the year.

What I am saying is Suns fans from out-of-state or out-of-the-country are wonderful, but don't have the same total perspective as the first two categories.

That is why I yearn to see a Suns team which, for the first time in its 4 1/2 decades, will build a team that will be strong in the playoffs for awhile. Here it is, about to turn 2015, and one of the loves of my life, the Phoenix Suns, are screwing around with entertaining basketball based on 3-Point Guard lineups which, if we are lucky, may lead to an appearance in the playoffs.

That is the basis of my opinions and my posts. And my hopes for my city's team for a long, long time.

How do you all feel about it? What are your dreams for the Suns? What should they be planning right now for the future?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah BC, that's not cool. I could move to Phoenix tomorrow and I wouldn't be any more of a Suns fan than I am today.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This

One who was raised a die-hard Suns fan, but left the Valley or State and remains a Suns fan from long distance.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I've lived here most of the time since the Suns started and I've met very few people who have any interest in the team. Now and then one of them will ask me how the Suns are doing and after I tell them far more than they want to know, they wait a long time to ask again.

Drop D

Striving for the Penultimate
Reaction score
There are two types of people:

1) Those that categorize people
2) Those that do not

I belong to the latter group. :D

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps BC867 was speaking from the perspective of personal nostalgia. IMO, Suns fans are where you find them and they have their own reasons for being a Suns fan. I welcome all Suns fans.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By the way. This is the type of thing that Colin Cowherd talks about all the time on ESPN radio. I usually find it quite condescending.

BC. I know you didn't intend it to come across this way. Life lesson I guess.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Uh... As one of those out of state fans who's "not really part of the community", on this day of togetherness, let me just say:

Screw you BC. You're a schmuck for posting that drivel above and claiming to somehow have better perspective/fandom than others.

Seriously... An absolutely INANE post.

Yeah i agree with pretty much everything here. That was just about the most ignorant post i've seen here.

Addtionally. BC, when you refer to post count to as a basis on your authority or rank in this community, it is seen as disrespectful to the community here. Each member here has the same voice. YOU arent a better suns fan because you have more posts and new people shouldnt be viewed as ignorant fans because they have either not been here long, or havent posted much.

Last edited:

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the internet, and discussion groups like this, I don't find myself any less informed than the fans living in Phoenix. With so much info online, it really depends more on how much time you want to spend on it. For some of us, its not so much being out of State than it is trying to balance career, family, education etc.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BC isn't attacking anyone personally and it is completely unacceptable to attack him personally back because he is stating his opinion.

I am trashing a couple of posts. If you can't be civil then don't post. Those that disagreed but didn't get personal can stay.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've never lived in Arizona and nobody raised me to be a Phoenix Suns fan. I choose them as my team because of KJ.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe there are four categories of Suns fans. And I enjoy reading the points of view and opinions of ASFN posters in all four categories. I mean that!

-- One who is either a Valley or Arizona native and still here or has been here since they were old enough to root for an NBA team.

-- One who has been here for a long time. I am in that category, having visited and deciding in 1970 that I wanted to spend the rest of my life in Phoenix. I followed the Suns closely and moved my family here from the suburbs of New Jersey eight years later, when the job market loosened up.

As I have cited in the past, my first NBA game at the Madhouse on McDowell was against my then beloved Knicks (not too far removed from their two championships), but I gave my heart completely to the Suns by the second half of the game.

-- One who been here a short time and has made the Suns their favorite (even if they have a dual allegiance to their former -- now long distance -- team).

-- One who was raised a die-hard Suns fan, but left the Valley or State and remains a Suns fan from long distance. I admire that the Suns remain in their heart but have seen, reading between the lines, that they are in a separate category.

Reading between the lines here, I think you're WAYYYYYY out of line. We're... what... separate but equal? Tell me, just so I can understand fully here... what exactly is it that you're reading between the lines?

The team remains their favorite, but they are obviously not part of the community. They don't have the Arizona Republic delivered every day. Or have neighbors who live and die with the Suns.

Or can't make a last minute decision to go to a game, find a parking spot on Monroe (the City has just increased meter hours to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Damnit!) Get a delicious bacon cheeseburger at Marjerle's. And walk a couple of blocks to see a Suns, Mercury or D-backs game all throughout the year.

What I am saying is Suns fans from out-of-state or out-of-the-country are wonderful, but don't have the same total perspective as the first two categories.

Thank you for making the out of staters second class citizens.

That is why I yearn to see a Suns team which, for the first time in its 4 1/2 decades, will build a team that will be strong in the playoffs for awhile. Here it is, about to turn 2015, and one of the loves of my life, the Phoenix Suns, are screwing around with entertaining basketball based on 3-Point Guard lineups which, if we are lucky, may lead to an appearance in the playoffs.

That is the basis of my opinions and my posts. And my hopes for my city's team for a long, long time.

How do you all feel about it? What are your dreams for the Suns? What should they be planning right now for the future?

here's how I feel about it. You forgot the 5TH TYPE OF FAN:

5. The fan who denigrates others, tells them they're not part of the community, and don't really have the perspective on the Suns to make an informed opinion because they live out of state and think that just because they live in Phoenix know what the Suns need more then anyone else.

And my personal opinion is that type of fan has no basis to deem other fans less than themselves, in any way shape or form.

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BC isn't attacking anyone personally and it is completely unacceptable to attack him personally back because he is stating his opinion.

I am trashing a couple of posts. If you can't be civil then don't post. Those that disagreed but didn't get personal can stay.

I didn't attack him. I said his opinion was bull****. I'm out of here.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally don't agree that location has anything to do with being a fan. I had a pretty big debate on the Cards board a few years back that being a season ticket holder made you more "invested" in the team.

I am not sure I feel that way anymore. I certainly don't get as happy or as pissed off when I am not at the game.

Really there are:

Casual Fans

Passionate Fans

Diehard Fans

I think anyone who gets on a message board to talk about a team is in the "Passionate" or "Diehard" fans category regardless of where they are.

That being said, I wouldn't take what BC said personally at all because it doesn't apply to anyone here.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I apologize

I personally don't agree that location has anything to do with being a fan. I had a pretty big debate on the Cards board a few years back that being a season ticket holder made you more "invested" in the team.

I am not sure I feel that way anymore. I certainly don't get as happy or as pissed off when I am not at the game.

Really there are:

Casual Fans

Passionate Fans

Diehard Fans

I think anyone who gets on a message board to talk about a team is in the "Passionate" or "Diehard" fans category regardless of where they are.

That being said, I wouldn't take what BC said personally at all because it doesn't apply to anyone here.
Thank you Chris, but I am sorry that I offended some.

I was trying to say that, not only am I disappointed as a Suns fan in their playing four people out of position regularly, but I am embarrassed that they are doing it as a larger than life representative of the community in which I live.

I should have stated it better or, better yet, I shouldn't have posted it at all.

I am really sorry.

P.S.: asudevil83, I made no reference to my post count.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Thank you Chris, but I am sorry that I offended some.

I was trying to say that, not only am I disappointed as a Suns fan in their playing four people out of position regularly, but I am embarrassed that they are doing it as a larger than life representative of the community in which I live.

I should have stated it better or, better yet, I shouldn't have posted it at all.

I am really sorry.

P.S.: asudevil83, I made no reference to my post count.

I've seen it elsewhere.

Hey, newbie. 39 posts and you're telling us what to not say. 1,039 posts wouldn't give you that right.

There is a lot more to 35 minutes per game than 35 minutes per day.

You didn't say one thing to change the thinking of a lot of us. Playing in two professional leagues year round wear out a player a lot more than playing in one.

Basketball is a contact sport. It wears a player down.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
When I posted, "Hey, newbie. 39 posts and you're telling us what to not say. 1,039 posts wouldn't give you that right.", asudevil83, it was my response to his post. Do you really disagree with what I said?

Anyway, I screwed up, I apologized and I'm not going to keep beating it into the ground. Thanks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's get talking about the Suns next big move to acquire a big man BC867 :)

This thread was taken way to serious.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's get talking about the Suns next big move to acquire a big man BC867 :)

This thread was taken way to serious.

It was? I imagine you're just trying to play peacemaker but how about this? I think the opinions espoused by Phoenix area fans are all suspect as they are shaped and molded by the local media. The only true fans are the ones that live elsewhere and can therefore engage in critical thinking freed from the heavy bias of the Phoenix area. I love all fans, even the Valley sheep, but I only respect the views of outsiders.

How well would that be received, if I had been serious? Anyway, BC apologized so AFAIC it's history, but I'm not at all surprised that some posters took offense.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was? I imagine you're just trying to play peacemaker but how about this? I think the opinions espoused by Phoenix area fans are all suspect as they are shaped and molded by the local media. The only true fans are the ones that live elsewhere and can therefore engage in critical thinking freed from the heavy bias of the Phoenix area. I love all fans, even the Valley sheep, but I only respect the views of outsiders.

How well would that be received, if I had been serious? Anyway, BC apologized so AFAIC it's history, but I'm not at all surprised that some posters took offense.

Steve

This does not vindicate name calling and cursing. I respect disagreement and discussion but there is no reason to run a loyal Suns poster into the ground for an opinion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This does not vindicate name calling and cursing. I respect disagreement and discussion but there is no reason to run a loyal Suns poster into the ground for an opinion.

I'm not in favor of the name calling and nothing in my post suggested I was. But if someone tells me my opinion has less validity simply because of where I live, I think that's a bit different then just offering an innocent opinion. I would defend BC too but there's no chance I'd defend his message.

Steve