Free Agency 2018

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shabazz Napier? Portland did not give him a QO. Decent player, could probably get him inexpensively.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shabazz Napier? Portland did not give him a QO. Decent player, could probably get him inexpensively.

How much better is he than the revolving door we had last year? Offensively he looks like a wash, another pg that shoots okay but can't facilitate.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Portland has a terrible cap situation. If they resign Nurkic they'll be paying luxury tax on his contract. I think they'll be trying to unload someone because Nurkic is an important piece for them. A rich offer to Nurkic might cause them to let him walk. I was in favor of signing him before the lottery. Since we got Ayton there is no need for that now.

There salary situation is one of the reasons a lot of people thought they'd blow things up this offseason, especially after being swept out of the playoffs by the Pelicans.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Found this interesting. I'm not sure how true it will be but it says that for the Suns to move Chandler and Dudley this offseason they'll need to attach an asset to any sort of deal. I don't believe expiring deals carry the value they once did. Since all contracts are now 4 years maximum when signing with a new team or 5 years for select deals where players stay on the same team, that creates more expirings for teams to deal with. There are a lot of expiring deals already out there and how it's mentioned so casually that the Suns will need to attach an asset to move them, I think that could be true. We haven't heard of any potential deals involving them as positive assets either so they may be onto something.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23940031/nba-free-agency-expiring-contracts-watch-trades

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Found this interesting. I'm not sure how true it will be but it says that for the Suns to move Chandler and Dudley this offseason they'll need to attach an asset to any sort of deal. I don't believe expiring deals carry the value they once did. Since all contracts are now 4 years maximum when signing with a new team or 5 years for select deals where players stay on the same team, that creates more expirings for teams to deal with. There are a lot of expiring deals already out there and how it's mentioned so casually that the Suns will need to attach an asset to move them, I think that could be true. We haven't heard of any potential deals involving them as positive assets either so they may be onto something.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23940031/nba-free-agency-expiring-contracts-watch-trades

You don't really ever see teams hunting expiring deals during the runup to free agency, expiring contracts gain value at mid season, as do vets. I could see us getting something for Chandler in February if he still has as much of a pulse as he has the last few years. The real problem is that most of the league is over the cap, so to take on Chandler most teams would have to send roughly equal money back the other way... thereby defeating our goal of creating cap space during free agency.

Dudley however... he's probably worthless in any equation. If we want to create space we'd probably have to stretch him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't really ever see teams hunting expiring deals during the runup to free agency, expiring contracts gain value at mid season, as do vets. I could see us getting something for Chandler in February if he still has as much of a pulse as he has the last few years. The real problem is that most of the league is over the cap, so to take on Chandler most teams would have to send roughly equal money back the other way... thereby defeating our goal of creating cap space during free agency.

Dudley however... he's probably worthless in any equation. If we want to create space we'd probably have to stretch him.

Now I agree with this outlook. I've seen others try to make the case for Chandler, and to a lesser degree Dudley, as potential trade chips lately that have positive value or that they could be moved easily for cap space. That's not happening now, not in July and not in the offseason. No one wants to take on dead money deals like that before the season is even under way.

We'll see what happens when the year starts and how things look in early 2019 in regards to those guys have any sort of value as expiring contracts but I'd be surprised if we find a team willing to take both of them because I don't think there will be a market for even one of them. Chandler could be a decent pickup for a team like the Cavs were last year though. A veteran big who can give you 15 minutes a night and be a leader while also helping clear up some salary mess when he expires. I doubt we'll find many takers for them though. Their main value is sort of matching salaries in a trade because typically rookie contract players are hard to move because their cap number is so low. It's hard to get back something equal in value while following the financial trade rules in the CBA.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tyler Ulis has been waived.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I’m not really going to miss him. Undersized on D. Can’t shoot.

Seems like a nice guy but he’s too small compared to the length players have at every position these days.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah seems like a good guy just not a lot of room in the NBA for guys 5'10.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Ulis waived, we now have $9.8m in cap space. I haven't heard if we've renounced Peters yet. If we waive Williams, Shaq, Reed and renounce Peters we'll have $16.8m assuming the cap is at $101m.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes he can. But he's still a liability when the defense keys on him as Cleveland did in the playoffs.

I just want a point guard who can stabilize the offense and allow dudes to learn how to play as a unit. I'm not worried about if LeBron James or Harden would demolish them in a playoff series.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not much room for a 6' guard either but we appear poised to sign one in Fred VanVleet.

VanVleet is 3-4 inches taller and probably 30-40 lbs heavier, that's pretty significant even if he isn't a huge guy himself. If Ulis wasn't so light I think he could be a decent bench player even at his height, but he's just much skinnier than the other short guys who have found consistent success in the league.

VanVleet may not be the ideal PG but I think he may end up being the best FA target for the Suns this year, though my preference would be a value trade for Beverly.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want a point guard who can stabilize the offense and allow dudes to learn how to play as a unit. I'm not worried about if LeBron James or Harden would demolish them in a playoff series.

I'm fine with that if it's a short term deal or a long term deal with backup guard numbers. But if we're signing him to the speculated 4 year 60 mil deal, ARGGGGH. I like him better than any of the other backups available but I think we'll be pissing and moaning for the length of his career if we give him that kind of money for that many years.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm fine with that if it's a short term deal or a long term deal with backup guard numbers. But if we're signing him to the speculated 4 year 60 mil deal, ARGGGGH. I like him better than any of the other backups available but I think we'll be pissing and moaning for the length of his career if we give him that kind of money for that many years.

I really doubt he gets even close to that kind of money. I would guess... 3 years 18-24 mil, with the last year being probably a player option. Toronto isn't matching, they're waaaaay over the cap. We're bidding against other teams that are in the market for a servicable point guard... and have cap space, there are not a lot of suitors out there.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I hadn't heard those numbers before but I'm not a fan of signing him or any FA PG for that much. $10 million a year should be the most we offer anyone on the market, RFA or UFA. I guess I'd go more than that if Chris Paul wants to come here for some reason but that's not happening. The most VanVleet should get though should be like a 4 year/$44 million dollar deal. That's not ideal but it should be movable, if need be.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO you guys are nuts with those figures, and I like VanVleet.

There are two teams in the market for point guards AND that have cap space. Us and Orlando. That's it. I think people are going to be really surprised at how small the contracts given out to the non-stars are this off season. There is very little money to go around.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really doubt he gets even close to that kind of money. I would guess... 3 years 18-24 mil, with the last year being probably a player option. Toronto isn't matching, they're waaaaay over the cap. We're bidding against other teams that are in the market for a servicable point guard... and have cap space, there are not a lot of suitors out there.

I hope you're right and I'd be fine with that kind of offer. I was on board with the idea of bringing him in until these stupid salary rumors started pouring in. I keep hearing that there won't be enough money out there for many of the free agents so I'll admit, that 60 mil contract idea really surprised me. It seems unreasonable but it only takes one foolish GM to make it happen.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO you guys are nuts with those figures, and I like VanVleet.

There are two teams in the market for point guards AND that have cap space. Us and Orlando. That's it. I think people are going to be really surprised at how small the contracts given out to the non-stars are this off season. There is very little money to go around.

I may be nuts but those weren't my "figures", I was responding to that stupid Evan Sidery and maybe Gambo comments.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05