Free Agency 2018

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's a good role player but you can't give him starter money God no Suns.

Hopefully it's a nice decent contract

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
IMO you guys are nuts with those figures, and I like VanVleet.

There are two teams in the market for point guards AND that have cap space. Us and Orlando. That's it. I think people are going to be really surprised at how small the contracts given out to the non-stars are this off season. There is very little money to go around.

I guess people think the Raptors will match anything in the neighborhood of the 9.5mil starting salary which is the most they can pay given his early bird status. The last example of a team trying to steal a decent early bird RFA is when the Nets signed Tyler Johnson for 50mil so maybe people are using that as a baseline? Typically when trying to steal an early bird RFA the team will just use the poison pill provision to include a 3rd year that would cause a balloon payment, not all 4 like the Nets did.

Not to mention as you pointed out how lean this year will be compared to the record amount of cap that was available when Johnson got that offer. Guys like Nerels Noel and Shabazz Muhammad are going to really regret turning down those 40-70mil deals if reality hasn't already hit them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO you guys are nuts with those figures, and I like VanVleet.

There are two teams in the market for point guards AND that have cap space. Us and Orlando. That's it. I think people are going to be really surprised at how small the contracts given out to the non-stars are this off season. There is very little money to go around.

I really hope that's the case. I said $10 million a year is the most I'd like to see them offer. Ideally they'll get him for less but since he's restricted I think they'll need to offer more than the MLE to make Toronto pass on matching. I think he'll be able to get the full MLE from someone, which is $8.3 million or so, which means we'll need to offer more than that to get him to sign with us. Orlando also needs a starting PG and has cap space so that's 1 team we'll be competing with for him.

Even though he's a backup for the Raptors, he is backing up an All-NBA backcourt in Lowry and DeRozen on a team that finished with the best record in the East. Toronto's payroll is supposed to be around $127 million with the projected luxury tax line around $123 million. While no team likes paying the Luxury Tax, that isn't too high of a bill for them to match an offer and deal with later. They have CJ Miles who is on an expiring $9 million dollar deal. That alone could offset VanVleet's new salary. It's not a given they'll pass on matching though. Who knows what sort of deals they may make. If they can find a taker for Lowry that opens up a bunch of money for them and a starting spot for VanVleet. With a new coach it's tough to see what they'll look like next year.

When looking at contracts signed under the larger cap the Suns signed Dudley for $10 million a year, so it's not out of the realm of possibility they offer VanVleet a similar contract. I think going higher than the MLE is something they won't be able to avoid. Looking at last year's PG signings though, I wouldn't be surprised if he can get a contract starting at $10 million a year. Here are some of last years PG signings....

George Hill signed a 3 years/$57 million dollar deal.
Jrue Holiday signed for 5 years/$125 million
Jeff Teague signed for 3 years/$57 million
Patty Mills signed for 4 years/$50 million
Darren Collison signed for 2 years/$20 million
Shaun Livingston signed for 3 years/$24 million

Of those, I think he's similar to Mills, Collison, and Livingston and they're all making more than the Mid-Level Exception.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Little surprised by his 2nd tweet, sort an attachment to the one quoted above. Apparently teams can only offer $8.5 million to start because of his status as a restricted free agent who has only been in the league for 2 years.

Apparently it has to something to do with the "Gilbert Arenas provision" which handles undrafted and 2nd round picks and their restricted free agency limitations. I need to read up on that because something doesn't add up right. VanVleet was undrafted and has played 2 years in the league and is now a restricted free agent this summer, I get that much. What I'm not understanding is how Denver is paying Jokic full max money after they declined his option for next season. He's played in 3 years to VanVleet's 2 but I didn't think that 1 year made that much of a difference, especially when it comes to what other teams can offer. I know the poison pill provisions also allow teams to offer more in the 3rd year but I'm not entirely sure why that is. Here is the CBA info on the provision, it seems to be questions 20 and 43.

Question #20 deals with some info on restrictions for teams paying the tax and mentions the Arena provision for restricted players on those teams

Question #43 Details the Arenas provision

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Little surprised by his 2nd tweet, sort an attachment to the one quoted above. Apparently teams can only offer $8.5 million to start because of his status as a restricted free agent who has only been in the league for 2 years.

Apparently it has to something to do with the "Gilbert Arenas provision" which handles undrafted and 2nd round picks and their restricted free agency limitations. I need to read up on that because something doesn't add up right. VanVleet was undrafted and has played 2 years in the league and is now a restricted free agent this summer, I get that much. What I'm not understanding is how Denver is paying Jokic full max money after they declined his option for next season. He's played in 3 years to VanVleet's 2 but I didn't think that 1 year made that much of a difference, especially when it comes to what other teams can offer. I know the poison pill provisions also allow teams to offer more in the 3rd year but I'm not entirely sure why that is. Here is the CBA info on the provision, it seems to be questions 20 and 43.

Question #20 deals with some info on restrictions for teams paying the tax and mentions the Arena provision for restricted players on those teams

Question #43 Details the Arenas provision

The 1 year is the difference between early bird and full bird.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rumors are PG-13 could sign a 2-3 year deal with OKC good for that market

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I just want a point guard who can stabilize the offense and allow dudes to learn how to play as a unit. I'm not worried about if LeBron James or Harden would demolish them in a playoff series.

well said

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently the Warriors are looking to sign DeAndre Jordan on the cheap. He has ties to Golden State a few different ways. He's good friends with Durant and their GM Bob Myers is Jordan's former agent. They're looking to sell him on joining them to round out their starting 5 and winning a title. I can only imagine how ridiculous they'd be with Jordan in the paint. All of their other starters can shoot 3's, everyone can lob him alley-oops from out on the perimeter and on defense Jordan and Green is a scary defensive frontcourt with Klay and Durant on the wings. If they sat Steph for Livingston or Iguodala they could really shut teams down. Hopefully Dallas can convince him to take the money they'll offer him.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/6/30/17520630/deandre-jordan-rumors-warriors-u-mad

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bordow is reporting that the Suns could make a decision on Williams today. The replies mention the guarantee date, July 6th which he does confirm, but for whatever reason he thinks they might let him out early, so maybe he knows their plans more than he's reporting right now.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
With Mavericks pushing for Jordan, DeMarcus Cousins more likely to stay with Pelicans

Cousins is immensely talented, but coming off a torn Achilles it becomes a question of years. The money will not be the max, but it will still likely be in mid $20 million a year range. The question is how many years does the Pelicans, or any team want to committed to Cousins fully guaranteed? Because the history of big men, especially those who rely on their quickness as part of their game, coming back from this injury is not good.

Most likely this is a two-year deal. There could be a third year with Joel Embiid-style incentives — hitting thresholds of minutes and games played — but that’s probably the max.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mavericks-pushing-jordan-demarcus-cousins-170002614.html

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Apparently the Warriors are looking to sign DeAndre Jordan on the cheap. He has ties to Golden State a few different ways. He's good friends with Durant and their GM Bob Myers is Jordan's former agent. They're looking to sell him on joining them to round out their starting 5 and winning a title. I can only imagine how ridiculous they'd be with Jordan in the paint. All of their other starters can shoot 3's, everyone can lob him alley-oops from out on the perimeter and on defense Jordan and Green is a scary defensive frontcourt with Klay and Durant on the wings. If they sat Steph for Livingston or Iguodala they could really shut teams down. Hopefully Dallas can convince him to take the money they'll offer him.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/6/30/17520630/deandre-jordan-rumors-warriors-u-mad

Eh, at some juncture you just have to ask "what is the point?" Why the heck would, could, or should a team like GS make an effort to keep adding every available star player who becomes available each off-season? Is a 90% chance of winning it all just not enough - you just cannot live unless you up to 98%? It's ridiculous.

At some point, when the inevitable fall-off comes in two or three seasons, there is going to be a huge backlash from the rest of the teams in the league, not to mention other fanbases in general, towards GS. And the NBA may need to step in to stop this "superteam" nonsense before it gets so out of hand that the competitive nature of the sport is down to nothing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can't believe Jordon would give up a load of money to sign for the MLE. He will probably change his mind like last off season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I understand (a) wanting to win a championship, (b) wanting to play with other great players and (c) wanting to play with friends. But I can’t understand wanting to create teams so dominant that it eliminates competition.

I recall going to the park or gym having these guys who would load their teams so they not only never lost but no game was ever competitive. I get not wanting to leave the court. But are you really even playing basketball if you’re just coasting and messing around because your team is so much better than any other? Don’t you want to test yourself against your buddies? Prove you’re better? I don’t understand the mindset. I always wanted to set up fair teams for competitive games. The competition was the fun part.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In case there is any confusion about the time teams have to match offers to RFAs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping the Suns do not overpay for VanVleet but I'm starting to worry.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns may want to keep their eye towards free agency next summer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Derrick Favors may prefer to stay with Utah.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If I'm the Lakers, I'd rather have Randle over Cousins considering the injury, cost, and attitude.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05