Free Agency 2018

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying it'll make it more entertaining but I can see the Warriors thinking in this. If the Suns were capable of doing something similar I think everyone would be pulling for them to do it, to hell with everyone else. They're not bypassing any rules. The NBA installing a hard cap wouldn't even stop this sort of thing. They'll need to get creative to fix this because I'm not sure how they'll stop players from taking discounts to sign with contenders. No one blinks at veterans who do that at the end of their career, doing it coming off surgery and rehab really isn't that much different.

The Suns and most NBA teams are so far removed from being able to do this it's not even funny.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns and most NBA teams are so far removed from being able to do this it's not even funny.

I really don't mind it as much as I thought I would. If they signed a healthy Cousins, I'd have much more of a problem but there's a low chance he returns to form. It sucks but since the Suns aren't competing, what does it bother us? We might even sneak into the playoffs now if a team or two decides to blow it up.

Here's an article from sports illustrated that goes into detail on achilles injuries. 36% of players who suffer those injuries next return, that's a lot. So Cousins may already be done but he doesn't realize it yet.

https://www.si.com/edge/2015/04/16/rothman-sports-medicine-achilles-injuries-kobe-bryant

Once the tendon ruptures, it is usually never back to 100% again. Even in professional sports, 36% of NFL or NBA players sustaining an Achilles tendon rupture never return to pro sports, and those who do usually take about a year before they are playing competitively. Additionally, players who do return typically have a decrease in their power of about 50% and only play for an average of 3-4 more seasons. These injuries also seem to be on the rise, with more than 16 NFL players rupturing their Achilles tendons in the 2014 season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't mind it as much as I thought I would. If they signed a healthy Cousins, I'd have much more of a problem but there's a low chance he returns to form. It sucks but since the Suns aren't competing, what does it bother us? We might even sneak into the playoffs now if a team or two decides to blow it up.

Here's an article from sports illustrated that goes into detail on achilles injuries. 36% of players who suffer those injuries next return, that's a lot. So Cousins may already be done but he doesn't realize it yet.

https://www.si.com/edge/2015/04/16/rothman-sports-medicine-achilles-injuries-kobe-bryant

I'm glad you have found the bright side PH.

As for me, I think the Warriors are recruiting Cousins for the 2019-20 season if they should lose a star. The super teams have such a leg up on other teams it's not even fair. It's almost like Cousins is on their farm team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

As for me, I think the Warriors are recruiting Cousins for the 2019-20 season if they should lose a star. The super teams have such a leg up on other teams it's not even fair. It's almost like Cousins is on their farm team.

I see that view but I'm not going to worry about that until he can prove he can return from that injury. The evidence and history is against him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because they don't need him. Its really that simple. They have 4 allstars, 3 of the most dangerous shooters....perhaps ever. And draymond, a dpoy caliber player, the heart and soul of that team. Adding boogie is a bit much, and quite frankly classless imho. It's like if a team kept running up the score when it's up by 40 already.

Houston gave them a scare and that was exciting, no? How boring is it going to be now?

I don't get this thinking at all. They are simply doing their job very well and taking advantage of the current rules and cap situation. It would be unfair to their shareholders, their players and their fans to not do whatever they can legally do to stock their roster.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I really don't think so. They won't have salary room even if Durant opts out (I believe) and they won't have his full Bird rights so I don't see anyway they could keep him should he return anywhere near to full health.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't think so. They won't have salary room even if Durant opts out (I believe) and they won't have his full Bird rights so I don't see anyway they could keep him should he return anywhere near to full health.

I guess Cousins has a VIP Pass if nothing else.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I still stick to that fact his numbers are identical to Kidd's rookie year, he had 70%, free throw in college and can hit 3s and has amazing court vision. I feel his rookie season is to small of a sample size, because in college FG 55% FT 70% and 3 40%. He wouldn't have to be a Scorer on the Suns just rebound, push the pace and be a distributor, with Ayton and Booker the Suns could use all his strengths and that would minimize his bad shooting, while maximizing his amazing court vision. He would be able to grow with this young Nucleus and is the exact type of player to pair with Booker and Ayton.

Ok....except we have NBA numbers and his NBA numbers show he is an historically bad shooter, so why default to numbers from a different league when we have numbers from his current league?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't get this thinking at all. They are simply doing their job very well and taking advantage of the current rules and cap situation. It would be unfair to their shareholders, their players and their fans to not do whatever they can legally do to stock their roster.
I agree with this. But it still doesn’t mean the league sucks as a result.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. But it still doesn’t mean the league sucks as a result.

I think it's going to become a problem for the league but right now they are still doing well so status quo is likely. Once it starts eating into revenues, things will change.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
sure, GS and the top stars are just taking full advantage of a flaw in the system
but anyone not concerned about it needs to consider this...

the suns won the lottery for the first time in 50 years
but the way things are trending
if they do not win the free agent anti-lottery as well in a couple of years
all the hard work -- the picks -- the coaching -- creating chemistry
won't matter
we have to hope a superstar or two picks us as their next trophy vehicle
instead of our competition

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ok....except we have NBA numbers and his NBA numbers show he is an historically bad shooter, so why default to numbers from a different league when we have numbers from his current league?

Well compare these NBA numbers

Player A
PPG 11.7 RPG 5.4 AST 7.7 FG% .385 3Pt% .272 STL 1.9 TO 3.2

Player B
PPG 10.2 RPG 6.9 AST 7.2 FG% .360 3PT% .305 STL 1.7 TO 2.6

One of these guys was rookie of the year one of them was Ball

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I think it's going to become a problem for the league but right now they are still doing well so status quo is likely. Once it starts eating into revenues, things will change.
I posted on the Cousins thread, but DMC says he received zero substantial offers from other teams so he looked to Dubs and Celtics on his own and chose GSW. The league had thieir chance to get him and passed.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted on the Cousins thread, but DMC says he received zero substantial offers from other teams so he looked to Dubs and Celtics on his own and chose GSW. The league had thieir chance to get him and passed.

I'm not really talking about the Cousins signing. It's just that until the league is given a financial reason to do something about the way super teams are built, little will change.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The league needs a franchise player tag system. Then each team can at least keep a star player.

It would resolve ALL of this mess.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess he figures it's a nice high profile place where he can show the league he is worthy of a full max deal.

And if that story is true and he maybe has 4 years left on his career, he probably figures why not sign and get his best chance by far at winning a ring this year. And then go get paid again.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right. But they would have franchised KD, LeBron and Paul George.
I think the players, after a certain amount of time in the league, should have the right to go where they please. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in Cleveland. But the league needs a hard cap and, especially, no max salaries.

If not for max salaries this wouldn't happen. That's the owners fault, they're trying to protect themselves from their own stupidity.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right. But they would have franchised KD, LeBron and Paul George.

KD and Paul George WANTED to leave.

Can you fault Lebron for wanting to leave Cleveland for Miami or LA lol hell no. You have to always think what would you have done? I know what I would of done

I love AZ born and raised here hell I even got Mesa tattooed on me cause I'm just hood like that but guess what? I work in the Bay Area because they pay me a lot of money to do so.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05