Free Agency 2018

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But most metrics show that Payton played worse than Harrison. I think the Suns think Payton is hot doo-doo and they don't even want him for peanuts.

I agree the Suns likely did not want to keep Payton for reasons unknown... probably for any price. They hardly talked about him after the season ended. It was almost eerie how quiet it was from both parties. I'm not sure Harrison or Knight is a better PG than Payton but it is really a mute issue at this point.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cousins won't get the max from anyone. I doubt the Pelicans will even give him that much. He'll have to sign a lesser deal for 1 year to prove he's able to return to form from his injury. I can see someone gambling on a long term deal with him but it'll be in the $15-20 million dollar range which is half of what he would be looking at if he were healthy. Too many questions about his injury. Sucks for him because now he needs to earn a deal at 27 or so years old. If he can return to form though he'll get a max deal next summer but that's a big if.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pelicans sign another player on a reasonable contract.... Julius Randle.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
And now, as fodder for the next 20 pages...

Devin Booker and Marqueese Chriss just started following Damian Lillard on Twitter. Discuss.
Me discussing

Yes yes yes!!!!!
What would the Suns have to give up to make that happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers have renounced Randle's rights, making him an unrestricted FA. Too bad the Suns are done. I would have been all for signing him in the $15 million range to fill the hole at PF for us. What's done is done though.

I think the Suns pulled the trigger too quickly in free agency even if they missed out on Ariza. It's probably not a popular view but it's the way I feel. There will probably some other good deals to be had.

I'm still hoping the Suns have a plan in place to trade for a starting PG.

The thought even crossed my mind the Suns may sign a mysterious European PG like Mike James. o_O

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
More and more it's looking like we're going to take our chances and go with Knight, at least to start the season. He's currently practicing with the Summer Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More and more it's looking like we're going to take our chances and go with Knight, at least to start the season. He's currently practicing with the Summer Suns.

Even so I'd feel better if the Suns had another PG option other than Harrison and Okobo.

McDonough is seemingly very confident in Knight.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Suns pulled the trigger too quickly in free agency even if they missed out on Ariza. It's probably not a popular view but it's the way I feel. There will probably some other good deals to be had.

I'm still hoping the Suns have a plan in place to trade for a starting PG.

The thought even crossed my mind the Suns may sign a mysterious European PG like Mike James. o_O

I agree with this. I know there is a chance we make a trade but we would have been better off making a trade first, relieving the logjam first, and then make a move for someone. At least then we'd be able to negotiate a trade from a better position. Right now, it looks like we need to trade a Forward and that doesn't bode well for teams in the NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. I know there is a chance we make a trade but we would have been better off making a trade first, relieving the logjam first, and then make a move for someone. At least then we'd be able to negotiate a trade from a better position. Right now, it looks like we need to trade a Forward and that doesn't bode well for teams in the NBA.

I keep hoping beyond hope McDonough will pull a rabbit out of his hat, however, I'm starting to lose hope.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of players are signing for only one guaranteed season although Curry gets a player option in the 2nd year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If Brandon Knight was available on the open market, no way do we sign him knowing now what we've learned the hard way. But we're stuck with him for awhile so it makes sense to see if he's salvageable. It's a long-shot but he's a sunk cost and if he hasn't turned over a new leaf, we'll know soon enough. But I still think we have a trade on the horizon and that will likely be for a point guard.
Doesn't "turn over a new leaf" refer to attitude? Knight's problem at Point Guard is that he doesn't have NBA Point Guard skills, no matter what his attitude.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Summer of 2019 Is huge point guard Free agency time.

It seems like a lot of teams are preparing for it as well signing players to 1 year contracts. The Suns need to show progress this season if they want to compete with the big boys.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Summer of 2019 Is huge point guard Free agency time.
A one year rental on a competent journeyman would be nice.

It’s not just about wins and losses. Having a competent PG is going to help with player development.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't "turn over a new leaf" refer to attitude? Knight's problem at Point Guard is that he doesn't have NBA Point Guard skills, no matter what his attitude.

I would disagree with this. I think he showed he has good PG skills, it's his BBIQ and ego that I didn't care for. Go back and read what so many of you (the generic Bledsoe hating "you") said on this board after his first few games. The consensus was we finally had a true point guard. That all changed quickly but he showed the potential IMO.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Depends on if his agility isn’t affected from the ACL. He can still create space.

You must be registered for see images

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Knight is actually a very good, very talented player. His problem has always been between his ears. He was not just shoot first, he would shoot when not open and when other players clearly were. He had a propensity for hero ball that seemed to be instilled in him from a young age. So, there is a chance that if he really has had a chance to rethink his game, he could pull it off. He has the skills and talent. If his mindset is truly changed, he could be as good as any pg's we have been considering in free agency.

But very few players change their mindset. So, who knows. He is like having a lottery ticket. The chances are really low, but you might as well see.
We get the #1 pick in the draft and you're already setting the bar low. JC, it gives me a headache just reading that.

It is time for a new mindset for Suns fans. "The chances are really low." Yup! "You might as well see." I hope not! Tanking is over. Knight is not the Point Guard to run the offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05