Free Agency 2018

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Len is still unemployed and with the sixers resigning Amir it's difficult to see him getting more than a couple mil anywhere.

Glad we didn't ink him to the 12-15 mil a few of you were kicking about. ;)

I'd say we should offer him what little space we have left on a 1 year deal, but I think Williams for the minimum is the better choice and I doubt Len would be as willing as Williams to play 3rd string.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Len is still unemployed and with the sixers resigning Amir it's difficult to see him getting more than a couple mil anywhere.

Glad we didn't ink him to the 12-15 mil a few of you were kicking about. ;)

I'd say we should offer him what little space we have left on a 1 year deal, but I think Williams for the minimum is the better choice and I doubt Len would be as willing as Williams to play 3rd string.

That would be mostly me. But it was a combination of events that moved him off that money. The league was changing and that was the season everyone kind of jumped on the bandwagon as far as traditional bigs go (during the season). Prior to the season, free agent bigs raked it in and teams are still paying for those blunders. And now, there just isn't much money available on the market. The players like Len that turned down their extension offers with the expectation of a huge payday are looking like fools this summer.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That would be mostly me. But it was a combination of events that moved him off that money. The league was changing and that was the season everyone kind of jumped on the bandwagon as far as traditional bigs go (during the season). Prior to the season, free agent bigs raked it in and teams are still paying for those blunders. And now, there just isn't much money available on the market. The players like Len that turned down their extension offers with the expectation of a huge payday are looking like fools this summer.
I am not sure what kind of offer Len got from the Suns if any at all. I do not think they wanted to commit to him for any kind of three year RFA deal (I think three year deals are required). So they just tendered him the QO and let it stand. It was a smart move. I did not think so at the time, but it was.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think we offered. Between the Chandler signing, the Williams signing, the way they said it was "up to Len and his agent" to take the QO... I think the front office has been low on Len since his second season and only went lower from there.

This last year was the first time that, in my eyes, he actually looked like a rotation player more often than not.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I thought the Suns should offer Len an extension also, 2 years ago. I want to say I predicted something in the $8-12 million a year range but I'm not positive. I might have said we should go up to $14.

Found an old thread that I started about offering an extension to him to avoid him hitting restricted free agency. I did say we needed to sign him but I stopped short of saying we should offer more than Chandler makes annually.

A lot of us whiffed on that one. Looking back at these scenarios paint a good picture of why we're all throwing around ideas on a message board and much smarter basketball minds are running the show.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/extension-for-alex-len.238371/

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I don't think I'd want to give up what it would take to land Lillard... unless Portland is desperate to shed salary.
Right

I would guess that part of the deal might be Chandler and Duds for some horrid contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that would be the other part. Getting DL is gonna hurt. He’s a legit All Star.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I wouldn't suggest that he doesn't fit the timeline, it would hurt to give JJ in a trade for a guy that is 28 years old. Obviously he is still young enough to give us potentially 6-8 years of good play though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would probably also includes JJ and some future firsts...

Trading JJ would make some sense with the Suns loading up on forwards.

If it is not too late for the Suns to trade Bridges (he has signed) this would make some sense as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OT:

I'm watching Trae Young on NBA TV in Salt Lake summer league... Hawks versus Jazz.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TJ Warren, Chriss, Dudley Bucks Pick, Suns unprotected pick next year.

That works money wise, but Lillard has 3 years left on his deal Portland would be crazy to trade him

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That works money wise, but Lillard has 3 years left on his deal Portland would be crazy to trade him

The Trail Blazers will want a potential star in return. JJ would probably have to be included... maybe Warren plus picks as well.

This would explain why the Suns gave up a lot for Bridges and signed Ariza.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Probably more like Warren, Chriss, Dudley, Chandler, Bucks pick and at least two unprotected (or nearly unprotected) Suns picks for Dame and Turner's contract? I'm not even sure if that's enough to get their interest.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brainstorming here. If Okobo hasn't signed he might be included. The Trail Blazers will want a point guard as well.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The Trail Blazers will want a potential star in return. JJ would probably have to be included... maybe Warren plus picks as well.

This would explain why the Suns gave up a lot for Bridges and signed Ariza.
I just don't see how signing Ariza factors in to whether or not we will keep JJ. Ariza will be here for only a year and thus I buy him being brought in as a temporary stretch 4 and mentor more than anything else.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't see how signing Ariza factors in to whether or not we will keep JJ. Ariza will be here for only a year and thus I buy him being brought in as a temporary stretch 4 and mentor more than anything else.

Ariza would start and Bridges will be brought along. The Suns would need forwards if they trade JJ and/or Warren.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do we even have anymore assets I think it's just the Bucks pick at this point, right?