Free Agency 2018

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Igor's connection to Dragic it would make some sense to consider trading for him using a lessor package. This way the Suns would not have to give up one of their best players.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Supposedly Lillard prefers to go to either LA or NY if he is to be traded, I think POR would prefer to trade him to NY to get him out of the conference. Imagine if somehow LA entices POR with the same package being offered to SA for Kawahi and are still able to land Kawahi next summer? James / Lillard / Leonard would be an impressive Big 3 and bad for PHX & GS.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd do that one, though I am terrified that JJ is gonna end up being better than Lillard eventually.

It's highly unlikely that JJ will reach Lillard's level but still, I'd rather watch him try than trade him for Damian.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That’s a tall order for a terrible shooter. It really limits his ceiling.
Hard to quantify. JJ will almost certainly be a much more impactful defender than Lillard. Even if he doesn't become nearly the offensive player that Lillard is he could well become the better overall player.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JJ I'm almost certain will never be the player Lillard is... but IMO, we have that player at 21, in Booker. I think we'll need a player with JJ's skill set, even though it's not intrinsically as good as Lillard's more than we would the redundancy of Booker and Lillard... and I also think it would cost us more than just JJ anyway.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly Lillard prefers to go to either LA or NY if he is to be traded, I think POR would prefer to trade him to NY to get him out of the conference. Imagine if somehow LA entices POR with the same package being offered to SA for Kawahi and are still able to land Kawahi next summer? James / Lillard / Leonard would be an impressive Big 3 and bad for PHX & GS.

ESPN is reporting this morning that Kawhi doesn't want to go to the Lakers he wants to go the Clippers because he doesn't want to be 2nd fiddle to LeBron now.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
ESPN is reporting this morning that Kawhi doesn't want to go to the Lakers he wants to go the Clippers because he doesn't want to be 2nd fiddle to LeBron now.
And that would also make for some great sports theater.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dragic would be a great choice for this team at this time, and you would not have to give up a lot.

It seems like situations change but no matter how hard both sides fight it, Dragic was always meant to be a Sun.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's not going to happen but I would like to see the market weaken for Leonard like it did for Bledsoe. The Spurs have reportedly received some very nice offers for him but so far, no trade.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To be honest, the Clips would be a better destination. They have better ownership now, cap space an Kawhi could pretty much have his way on who they bring in, plus it’s the same part of LA he’ll be playing in.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be honest, the Clips would be a better destination. They have better ownership now, cap space an Kawhi could pretty much have his way on who they bring in, plus it’s the same part of LA he’ll be playing in.
But the Clips have nothing to offer. The best scenario would be for LAL to empty the shelves for Kahwi, and then have him bolt next year for the Clips. They still have not fully recovered from Dwight bolting.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was trying to see what the Clippers could give up for Kahwi. Tobias Harris, Beverly, Harrell, and maybe three future firsts is about what I could come up with. The thing is that those first round picks would be valuable because the Clippers would have nothing left on their roster.

Harris, Beverly, pick swap rights in 2019 if their pick is a lottery pick (Clips owe a lotto protected first to Boston next year, so a pick swap is the only way they could trade it). In fact, they could just do three or four years of pick swapping.

The Clips then would have to try to rebuild through free agency next year.

But with the stuff coming out about Kahwi, most teams are not going to want to deal with "Uncle Dennis." He is worse than LaVar.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They can’t trade a first rd pick until 2022.
They can trade swap options, which would be very valuable given the Clippers roster. The Stepien rule just says that a team cannot go two years in a row without a first round pick, it does not have to be their own. I just doubt the Clippers would do this. All they would have to rebuild would be Kahwi (and Uncle Dennis) and next year's free agency.