Free Agency 2018

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
kids... this is why you sign your first massive contract extension when you get the chance. Damn... that injury just destroyed his earning power for generations of his family.
Yup this is why I never understood why some people were saying Booker should wait till next summer to sign his extension to help the Suns with cap space next year.

Booker isn’t stupid and there’s no way his agent would’ve let him do that after seeing how this whole IT situation has unfolded.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sad to think this was just one year ago

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That was his problem. He was not a max guy, never was, even when healthy. He is the type of guy (when healthy) that owners are terrified to sign. His numbers seem to justify a max deal but it’s fools gold—health risk such huge defensive flaws, size.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad to think this was just one year ago

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I always felt the Celtics lead IT to believe he would be rewarded for his play until he got hurt, then they moved him. IT has never received a big pay day and now is playing for the minimum. I feel bad about his situation.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I always felt the Celtics lead IT to believe he would be rewarded for his play until he got hurt, then they moved him. IT has never received a big pay day and now is playing for the minimum. I feel bad about his situation.
It’s why I never have a problem with players trying to earn as much $$ as they can despite fanbases urging them to take discounts.

IT should have never played after his sister passed. Boston likely loses that series itself then and the hip injury never even happens.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s why I never have a problem with players trying to earn as much $$ as they can despite fanbases urging them to take discounts.

IT should have never played after his sister passed. Boston likely loses that series itself then and the hip injury never even happens.

It's a cold business for sure. I'm probably one of the few that liked what IT brought to the court. If the Suns do not sign a quality PG, they could have done worse that signing IT. Denver seems to be a good place for him to land though.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I think the issue is in today’s NBA, some guys aren’t worth the money they are getting because super max guys paved the way for inflated salaries for guys like Tyler Johnston. The sad thing is Johnston has never put up the numbers IT has yet Thomas has never gotten a contract like Johnston’s current deal and probably never will.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If IT is healthy and can provide an offense spark that Denver team looks like a tough out. I like what there doing there.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am starting to come around to Phrazbit's idea of no max contracts as long as the rest of the salary cap and lux tax is in place. The "max deal" is this number that every somewhat good player thinks he deserves. If it was not there, then we would be thinking about relational numbers for all players instead. We would be saying "is that guy worth 40% of our cap allotment?"

IT was a great player and all, but was he ever worth 30% or more of your team's payroll?

If there were no max contracts, we probably would have paid Booker less on this deal, not more.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there were no max contracts, we probably would have paid Booker less on this deal, not more.

I still think the Super Max is the real problem. It used to be just a handful of the best players received a max (for the most part). Now, a second level star automatically expects the max because there's a different level for the game's best.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm hoping the Suns have a PG in mind. Some of these contracts are ridiculously cheap.

Which makes Ariza look like a fail, it's wasn't even a need, much rather have a cheap PG than the 11th forward for the team for 1 year

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think the Super Max is the real problem. It used to be just a handful of the best players received a max (for the most part). Now, a second level star automatically expects the max because there's a different level for the game's best.
The super-max is a problem because good players who technically qualifiy for automatically think they should get it. It actually becomes a hindrance to the team that drafted the player. Someone like Demarcus Cousins qualifies for the supermax in Sacramento, but they trade him because they KNOW they do not want to pay him the supermax. Once he is traded, he no longer qualifies for the supermax, so he is more valuable in trade than to keep.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Which makes Ariza look like a fail, it's wasn't even a need, much rather have a cheap PG than the 11th forward for the team for 1 year

I disagree. It certainly was a need. Your options at 4 are Bender and Chris. Ariza was very much needed. Additionally, he is a veteran who can still play and contribute. I want a point guard as much as the next guy, but a stretch four was definitely needed, and Ariza was a very good signing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I've seen this mentioned a lot but who should they have targeted?

I wasn't in favor of the Ariza deal at first either but there just isn't a lot of quality PG's available this summer. Tony Parker might have been the only one I would have been interested in but most viewed that signing as a surprise because it looked like he was returning to the Spurs. That's the only player they missed out on, when it comes to PG's that were available.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ariza was who the coach wanted. The coach is not the GM, but when you hire a new coach, you try to give him the role players he wants. Igor has been around the block enough to have a good idea of what he wants.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. It certainly was a need. Your options at 4 are Bender and Chris. Ariza was very much needed. Additionally, he is a veteran who can still play and contribute. I want a point guard as much as the next guy, but a stretch four was definitely needed, and Ariza was a very good signing.

I understand Ariza will play most of his minutes as a stretch 4 but this is asking a lot of Ayton, Chriss and Bender to hold the fort inside. A lot of teams will try to force the ball inside on the Suns.

If the Suns are expecting the center position to hold up, they will need another strong center candidate besides Chandler. Montrezl Harrell would be a nice addition as he can play both power forward and center.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand Ariza will play most of his minutes as a stretch 4 but this is asking a lot of Ayton, Chriss and Bender to hold the fort inside. A lot of teams will try to force the ball inside on the Suns.

If the Suns are expecting the center position to hold up, they will need another strong center candidate besides if Chandler. Montrezl Harrell would be a nice addition as he can play power forward and center.

Despite what's been said, I think lineups without a traditional point guard will not be uncommon.

Booker
Bridges/Jackson
Ariza/Warren
Bender/Chriss
Ayton/Chandler

I think lineups like that will see the court for a stretch here and there. Unless we make a trade...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Despite what's been said, I think lineups without a traditional point guard will not be uncommon.

Booker
Bridges/Jackson
Ariza/Warren
Bender/Chriss
Ayton/Chandler

I think lineups like that will see the court for a stretch here and there. Unless we make a trade...

A lineup like the above will get situational playing time like at the end of games but the Suns have said they do not want Booker as the primary ball handler.

I guess it all comes down to having confidence in starting Brandon Knight at PG... which I don't.

I'm not against giving him the opportunity but I want someone who can take over if he falters. IMO, Harrison and Okobo are mostly depth although I think Harrison will be a specialty PG.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. Does anyone believe anything else of note will happen with the Suns until training camp? Is it time to go into a 2 month basketball hibernation?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05