Free agency thread 2022

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Taking their salary into consideration, I will definitely take Hill over Hop. But I do believe Hop fits better for Kyler with his 50--50 ball ability. Kyler doesn't yet have the vision and lead-the-receivers-with-the-pass skill to fully utilize Hill.
Not much vision you need with the separation Hill gets. There has never been a more explosive WR in history period. Guys that could do it occasionally in his fashion but not consistently.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A thought occurred to me.

I keep seeing "We can't rely on draft picks. Keim sucks in the draft. We need to sign some good FA's". But tell me this.

How many of Keim's big ticket FA's have paid off?

Hicks was bad for a year, ok for a year then reasonable for a year. Pugh has been above average and consistent. Veldheer was decent.

Jordan Philips sucked. Kennard has sucked. Campbell was average. Swearinger sucked. Alford sucked on his original deal. Sam Bradford really sucked. Jermaine Gresham sucked. Iupati was ok when healthy but was injured a lot. Phil Dawson sucked. Suggs sucked.

His expensive signings have more often than not unperformed their deals. If anything he has a worse record in this area than the draft and it costs us a lot more money.

Where he has excelled in FA is finding good value in the cheaper guys. The famous "Keim time" FA's but also guys like Corey Peters, Frostee Rucker, Antoine Bethea, James Conner etc

Maybe he's finally learned his lesson.

His strengths are trades and finding value in FA. Not signing FA's from the top of the list.

So he sucks at drafting, and major free agency signings. That's 2 of the major responsibilities of his freaking job. If his strengths are trades and finding value in FA, HE SHOULDN'T BE GM!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Taking their salary into consideration, I will definitely take Hill over Hop. But I do believe Hop fits better for Kyler with his 50--50 ball ability. Kyler doesn't yet have the vision and lead-the-receivers-with-the-pass skill to fully utilize Hill.
Hmm hill gets crazy separation which kyler thrives on.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So he sucks at drafting, and major free agency signings. That's 2 of the major responsibilities of his freaking job. If his strengths are trades and finding value in FA, HE SHOULDN'T BE GM!

Well he is, and will be for at least a few years yet.

As its evident big FA deals rarely work maybe we can stop complaining we haven't made any?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Gresham was good for a couple one-year deals and then Keim signed him to a long-term deal that was wildly overpriced.

Chopper has said this multiple times, but you want to sign FAs who will outperform their contracts. IMO, despite the strum and drang on here, A.J. Green probably outperformed his deal. J.J. Watt is definitely underperforming the investment we made on him.
This leads me back to re-signing AJ Green. He was still better than expected and not saying he's what he used to be by any stretch of the imagination, but in increments he recalls his former glory and is a hell of a lot better than other options or a third round WR still learning the ropes. He's solid insurance which will not break the bank and does not stop us from still fortifying the position. My only deterrent is that I have a feeling that AJ does not care too much for Kyler, but that's a Kyler problem which the kid needs to address and not Green, which is the definition of being a pro. I highly doubt all the members of world class symphony like each other, but they see past that and do their job

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. This is why I like the Budda for Tyreek trade.
Made sense, but considering that Hill fetched a 1st, 2nd, two 4ths, and a 6th, Budda probably wasn't gonna get it done.

Not to mention, having two WRs making over $25M/year wasn't really tenable.

...dave

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Yep. This is why I like the Budda for Tyreek trade.
I would not go after a guy like Tyreek because as Ouchie says Kyler thrives on crazy separation. Thrive for that result is not the right perspective, more like a Kyler problem who's still stuck in a mindset that he's playing in the Big XII where obvious separation is common place. Kyler needs to become a NFL QB and throw guys open (which he has actually done on occasion) because crazy separation in not a luxury a team should have to pay for that allows their QB to be successful

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not go after a guy like Tyreek because as Ouchie says Kyler thrives on crazy separation. Thrive for that result is not the right perspective, more like a Kyler problem who's still stuck in a mindset that he's playing in the Big XII where obvious separation is common place. Kyler needs to become a NFL QB and throw guys open (which he has actually done on occasion) because crazy separation in not a luxury a team should have to pay for that allows their QB to be successful
Um? Tyreek gets more separation than arguably any receiver ever. If that is Kyler's strength, why WOULDN'T you want to go after him? We'd rather force another receiver that doesn't fit our needs? Haven't we done that enough recently?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made sense, but considering that Hill fetched a 1st, 2nd, two 4ths, and a 6th, Budda probably wasn't gonna get it done.

Not to mention, having two WRs making over $25M/year wasn't really tenable.

...dave
It probably will cost more than Budda alone, but he would be the main cog in the deal for sure.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um? Tyreek gets more separation than arguably any receiver ever. If that is Kyler's strength, why WOULDN'T you want to go after him? We'd rather force another receiver that doesn't fit our needs? Haven't we done that enough recently?
How is this Kylers strength? Can someone please explain? He all to often had WRS running wide open down the field only to not even look their way and throw to a guy completely covered. Instead opting for the the much tougher lower % throw. It was literally pointed out all season. By folks on NFL network, posters here breaking down film, in game threads etc…. Often he had guys running free and just never saw them or didn’t care. I’m betting he didn’t see them? So how is this his strength? Short Kyler won’t even see Short Hill running free a majority of the time.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is this Kylers strength? Can someone please explain? He all to often had WRS running wide open down the field only to not even look their way and throw to a guy completely covered. Instead opting for the the much tougher lower % throw. It was literally pointed out all season. By folks on NFL network, posters here breaking down film, in game threads etc…. Often he had guys running free and just never saw them or didn’t care. I’m betting he didn’t see them? So how is this his strength? Short Kyler won’t even see Short Hill running free a majority of the time.
It has been discussed several times in this thread. Lots of us believe that having a WR that gets uber separation would be only but beneficial.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This leads me back to re-signing AJ Green. He was still better than expected and not saying he's what he used to be by any stretch of the imagination, but in increments he recalls his former glory and is a hell of a lot better than other options or a third round WR still learning the ropes. He's solid insurance which will not break the bank and does not stop us from still fortifying the position. My only deterrent is that I have a feeling that AJ does not care too much for Kyler, but that's a Kyler problem which the kid needs to address and not Green, which is the definition of being a pro. I highly doubt all the members of world class symphony like each other, but they see past that and do their job
The real question is how much is he willing to sign for? I don't believe we would be able to re-sign him for the same contract as last year.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Idk how I’d feel about paying him 30 mil per

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The real question is how much is he willing to sign for? I don't believe we would be able to re-sign him for the same contract as last year.
Nor should he get that much IMO. I disagree that he overachieved his 8M price tag as some suggest here. I'd value his contribution somewhere in the 6M range.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Nor should he get that much IMO. I disagree that he overachieved his 8M price tag as some suggest here. I'd value his contribution somewhere in the 6M range.
Bucs just signed Russell Gage for 3yrs 30 mil and he had 70 less yards receiving last year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05