Free agency thread 2022

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Problem is, a good draft won't be enough. He pretty much needs to hit on either a starter (and super high-level starter at that) or a solid contributor with EVERY DAMN PICK, or we're in a boat load of trouble. Unless, of course, he works all kinds of roster magic before the draft. Who here is confident of that? *crickets*
My worst fear Stout. Our depth was questionable as it was. Say what you want about Chandler, Chase, Hicks and Kirk being gone, but they HAVE to be replaced wisely. We can freestyle this offseason if we want, but it will be an epic fail if SK doesn't kill it. I really believe that he feels he has some super legit plan that none of us are in tune to. The fact that our picks are coming later in rounds due to our fraudulent finish, and you can see why I'm terrified.

Reaction score
If you all really want me to make you sick.

Tyreek Hill - 18 mil (per year avg)
Travis Kelce - 14.3 mil (p y a)

Combined 32.3 mil.

Deandre Hopkins - 27.2
Zach Ertz - 10.5

Combined - 37.7 mil.

Hopkins>>>Hill so the $9mil disparity makes sense. I would take DHop all day over Hill & twice on Sunday. Ertz<<<Kelce so that difference in $ also makes sense.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow, building an offense around your QB

Who would have thought?

SK, SK??
Don't worry, we're going to have a dynamite draft, stack the offense with talent, fix the offensive line, fix the defensive line, fix the edge, fix the...er, whoops. *Keim ducks and runs for cover*

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point I have to assume Keim is working on a trade for either a WR or a pass rusher. Very few really good pass rushers get traded in their prime, Chandler Jones was the exception, so I'm kind of expecting a trade for a WR.

I joked about it yesterday when we signed Vigil but I wouldn't be shocked if we shop Simmons for a WR. Dallas doesn't seem to be in a position to trade Lamb, the guy Kyler would want, so I am half expecting us to try and get Jeudy from the Broncos. Based on his twitter posts he wants to stay there now they have a QB but there's talk that Denver thinks they have too much money tied up at WR, Sutton 15 mill a year Patrick over 11, so lots of people assume they're going to look to move Jeudy before they have to redo his contract too. That all assumed they needed a QB, now they don't, maybe they keep him, maybe they go after a player or picks.

I'm going to "speak it into existence."

I just can't believe we're going into next year with us having to rely on the draft to fill G, WR and pass rush.

Stout

Reaction score
At this point I have to assume Keim is working on a trade for either a WR or a pass rusher. Very few really good pass rushers get traded in their prime, Chandler Jones was the exception, so I'm kind of expecting a trade for a WR.

I joked about it yesterday when we signed Vigil but I wouldn't be shocked if we shop Simmons for a WR. Dallas doesn't seem to be in a position to trade Lamb, the guy Kyler would want, so I am half expecting us to try and get Jeudy from the Broncos. Based on his twitter posts he wants to stay there now they have a QB but there's talk that Denver thinks they have too much money tied up at WR, Sutton 15 mill a year Patrick over 11, so lots of people assume they're going to look to move Jeudy before they have to redo his contract too. That all assumed they needed a QB, now they don't, maybe they keep him, maybe they go after a player or picks.

I just can't believe we're going into next year with us having to rely on the draft to fill G, WR and pass rush.
What trade capital do we have, though? We have a dearth of high picks and we really, really need those picks to (try to) infuse this roster with young talent. There's an argument to be made with how bad SK drafts that using the picks just to trade for established players makes more sense, but man, we've got to start getting it right sometime.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What trade capital do we have, though? We have a dearth of high picks and we really, really need those picks to (try to) infuse this roster with young talent. There's an argument to be made with how bad SK drafts that using the picks just to trade for established players makes more sense, but man, we've got to start getting it right sometime.

Simmons. He's really the only guy he was a high pick, he played enough the right team might value him. Collins has trade value too but he hasn't played much and frankly of the 2 I think Collins is probably going to be better so if I were the Cards I'd keep him.

Would I trade Jeudy for Simmons if I were Denver, no, I'd keep Jeudy and worry about the contract later, but like I said I'm speaking it into existence. Financially they are 50 million plus on 3 guys, Wilson, Sutton and Patrick, and they are giving Wilson an extension with a raise(although if done right it might actually lower his current cap hit). Jeudy is in the 3rd year of a 4 year rookie deal so it's likely after this year if he excels, which seems likely with Wilson, he gets a big raise too. All offseason people have been assuming Denver would use Jeudy in a trade for a QB, if I were them I'd keep him but finances might persuade them to deal him.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, we're going to have a dynamite draft, stack the offense with talent, fix the offensive line, fix the defensive line, fix the edge, fix the...er, whoops. *Keim ducks and runs for cover*
You know what Stout? I would be happy if we just stacked the offense. I have my doubts this will have.
Keim is going to try and spread the limited talent “ butter” wit a very thin layer over the entire roster.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I doubt a trade for Juedy. You don’t trade for Wilson and start taking away weapons this year.
Maybe a guy like Ravens Marquis Brown could be had. He would add something this offense desperately needs.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Really need Steve to get this draft right.

Last year was an improvement and even that draft had our 1st round pick not playing much.

Hopefully this will be a step up. Need 3 impact players.

Stout

Reaction score
Simmons. He's really the only guy he was a high pick, he played enough the right team might value him. Collins has trade value too but he hasn't played much and frankly of the 2 I think Collins is probably going to be better so if I were the Cards I'd keep him.

Would I trade Jeudy for Simmons if I were Denver, no, I'd keep Jeudy and worry about the contract later, but like I said I'm speaking it into existence. Financially they are 50 million plus on 3 guys, Wilson, Sutton and Patrick, and they are giving Wilson an extension with a raise(although if done right it might actually lower his current cap hit). Jeudy is in the 3rd year of a 4 year rookie deal so it's likely after this year if he excels, which seems likely with Wilson, he gets a big raise too. All offseason people have been assuming Denver would use Jeudy in a trade for a QB, if I were them I'd keep him but finances might persuade them to deal him.

Except then you'd just be weakening one position (dangerously so--we'd be left with an awful crop of ILBers) to strengthen another. Ugh, what a lousy situation.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt a trade for Juedy. You don’t trade for Wilson and start taking away weapons this year.
Maybe a guy like Ravens Marquis Brown could be had. He would add something this offense desperately needs.

he's obviously on the list too and for the same reason where he is on his contract, plus he played with kyler in college. Jeudy is bigger and that's my preference but I've talked about Brown in the past too he'd be a guy we'd want. I just don't know if we have anything the Ravens would want, they already have Simmons in Patrick Queen

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except then you'd just be weakening one position (dangerously so--we'd be left with an awful crop of ILBers) to strengthen another. Ugh, what a lousy situation.

The weakness on our defense last year was run defense. The 2 worst run defenders in our regular rotation were Jones and Simmons IMO. Of course one of the best run defenders was Hicks who's also gone. So now we have weaker run defense and less pass rush without Jones. So I figure we're going to focus on pass rush in the draft. Signing Vigil and keeping the other guys gives us role players who can play the run. Collins in limited duty appeared to be a better run defender than Simmons, he's bigger and stronger and able to hold up. He apparently wasn't ready last year but I think it's likely he's going to be playing way more this year and so if you're going to move one of them Simmons makes the most sense.

not saying we have to move Simmons but we have to get at least one more Wr we don't have a #2 on the roster right now and we're not sure if Rondale is the 3 yet or not.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he's obviously on the list too and for the same reason where he is on his contract, plus he played with kyler in college. Jeudy is bigger and that's my preference but I've talked about Brown in the past too he'd be a guy we'd want. I just don't know if we have anything the Ravens would want, they already have Simmons in Patrick Queen
We may not have to trade players. The Ravens may be happy to take a draft pick. They might be in a better position to replace Brown in the draft.