Gambo and Ash - Barbosa closer than Diaw to a contract extension.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Maybe the reason Boris is negotiating very hard is the HE'S PLAYING FOR FRANCE.

his agent isn't. The fact that Boris is playing for France has NOTHING to do with the negotiations and is a pretty stupid thing to bring up IMO as it adds nothing to the discussion- especially when you put it in all caps to signify most of us are too stupid to realize the above.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

his agent isn't. The fact that Boris is playing for France has NOTHING to do with the negotiations and is a pretty stupid thing to bring up IMO as it adds nothing to the discussion- especially when you put it in all caps to signify most of us are too stupid to realize the above.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

Agents without their clients can only talk and talk and talk. But I suppose it's stupid to think the client actually has to make a decision to take something less that the max.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Agents without their clients can only talk and talk and talk. But I suppose it's stupid to think the client actually has to make a decision to take something less that the max.

George, you do know France has phones, right? Good grief, man. Agents handle negotiations and let Clients in on only what they need to know... that is numbers. Players don't come to the negotiating table so for that to be the reason you're giving as to why this deal isn't done yet is laughable.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

Then how could the negotiations for Barbosa been any further along since he's playing for Brazil? cheese is right, the agent will handle the negotiating and keep Diaw informed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
Then how could the negotiations for Barbosa been any further along since he's playing for Brazil? cheese is right, the agent will handle the negotiating and keep Diaw informed.

stop making so much sense. You'll give George a headache!

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
SunsTzu said:

Haha, plus a deal can be agreed upon and just wait for them to get back to actually sign it. Although players usually will take a full day of travel to get their extension signed.

Remember with RJ left Team USA for a day to fly back to the states to get his extension signed?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Haha, plus a deal can be agreed upon and just wait for them to get back to actually sign it. Although players usually will take a full day of travel to get their extension signed.

Remember with RJ left Team USA for a day to fly back to the states to get his extension signed?

That actually raises a question I had, is there any reason why team officials can't fly out of the country or even out of state to get the player to sign? I know D'Antoni said something about running to Brazil or France if LB and Diaw agree to terms to get them to sign but I don't know if he was just speaking tounge in cheek or if it's an actual possiblity.

I can see why the Suns may want to wait until after international play is over to have them sign though in case there is an injury.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Barbosa is close and Diaw isn't is all of this is based on GAMBO's rumor mongering.

I'm still waiting for the PG and Center trade he was promising. :bang:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
That actually raises a question I had, is there any reason why team officials can't fly out of the country or even out of state to get the player to sign?

Yah it is definitely possible. They just have to get into the same room.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Barbosa is close and Diaw isn't is all of this is based on GAMBO's rumor mongering.

Gambo or not - it still doesn't take away from the ridiculous idea that Boris deal isn't being negotiated because he's playing for France, now does it?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Gambo or not - it still doesn't take away from the ridiculous idea that Boris deal isn't being negotiated because he's playing for France, now does it?

As I said, agents and GM's talk all the time. The issue is whether the a deal is "close" (the whole point of the discussion) and I would not expect a mega deal happening without some face time. In any case, this is not like a free agency deal. They have until late October to get an extension done.

In any case, I'd watch very closely the RFA negotiations for Wilcox, Gooden, and Jeffries. So far, the Nene signing is the only RFA re-signing and it may be viewed as an anomoly. In movement situations, none of the big money deals have been RFA's. Elson and Butler are low end and Banks was was unrestricted.

For every JJ situation, there are a half dozen RFA's that get no phone calls. Rational GM's have learned that it takes making a terrible overpayment to take a guy now that the Clippers aren't giving away players any more. So while it's true the Suns risk another JJ situation, Boris risks becoming a Gooden if his agent cons him into excessive demands.

This is a very high stakes game with literally millions at stake. To strike a deal, both sides have to give but both have take the other side seriously.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

Gambo never promised a thing. He was reporting a rumor and talks from his sources in the Suns. Just because something didn't pan out doesn't make him a rumor monger or make him wrong. It just means since he reported it, something happened.

:|

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
As I said, agents and GM's talk all the time. The issue is whether the a deal is "close" (the whole point of the discussion) and I would not expect a mega deal happening without some face time. In any case, this is not like a free agency deal. They have until late October to get an extension done.

In any case, I'd watch very closely the RFA negotiations for Wilcox, Gooden, and Jeffries. So far, the Nene signing is the only RFA re-signing and it may be viewed as an anomoly. In movement situations, none of the big money deals have been RFA's. Elson and Butler are low end and Banks was was unrestricted.

For every JJ situation, there are a half dozen RFA's that get no phone calls. Rational GM's have learned that it takes making a terrible overpayment to take a guy now that the Clippers aren't giving away players any more. So while it's true the Suns risk another JJ situation, Boris risks becoming a Gooden if his agent cons him into excessive demands.

this is ridiculous IMO as well. You're trying to compare Diaw to Jeffries (who averaged 6 points a game for a playoff bottom-feeder), Wilcox (a guy who in 4 years proved nothing, then put up decent stats on a really bad team ) and Drew Gooden (who's been a complete underachiever for a guy drafted 4th and who has attitude problems, plays bad defense, has a mediocre offensive game but can get rebounds) - to Diaw - a guy who was one OF THREE player in the entire NBA who averaged more than 10 points, 6 boards, 6 assts, then flourished in the playoffs to the tune of 18, 6, and 6 for a WC Finalist.

The reasons those guys haven't gotten a sniff is because they're ceilings are pretty much set and it ain't pretty, whereas Boris is just scratching the surface and has already shown to be 5 times the players you mentioned. The negotiations for mid-level players AT BEST is no barometer to measure up next to Diaw and to try and do so really underscores a poor understanding of the game.

You want to compare Boris' situation to someone - compare his situation to JJ three years ago, or Rip Hamilton when his contract was extended or when Tayshaun Prince's contract was extended, or even track how Dallas' negotiation goes with Josh Howard - those are the guys Boris shoudl be compared to - not a bunch of complete underachievers. You know why the above guys didn't make it to RFA and the other relative scrubs you mentioned did - IT'S BECAUSE THEIR GMs KNEW how important it was to keep them from ANY KIND of FA, restricted or not.

As far as "face to face" time - do you REALLY believe that Boris is going to be face to face with Sarver or DA during any negotiation? No player does that - that's WHY they hire agents.

Last edited:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
If Boris Diaw holds his demands steady at $55m, I'll be pissed. Where's the frickin hometown discount? Don't the Suns get any credit for rescuing you from the abyss? Last year, you were ready to head back to Europe and play for chump change, and suddenly you won't step on the court for one of the best and friendliest teams in the NBA if they're offering you 'only' $10m per year?

If that's how it's going to be, to hell with it, just dump him. I don't think I can take another five years of pointless arguments over whether the Suns can survive the enormous contract of an overpaid third-option type. :rolleyes:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
If Boris Diaw holds his demands steady at $55m, I'll be pissed. Where's the frickin hometown discount? Don't the Suns get any credit for rescuing you from the abyss? Last year, you were ready to head back to Europe and play for chump change, and suddenly you won't step on the court for one of the best and friendliest teams in the NBA if they're offering you 'only' $10m per year?

If that's how it's going to be, to hell with it, just dump him. I don't think I can take another five years of pointless arguments over whether the Suns can survive the enormous contract of an overpaid third-option type. :rolleyes:

home-town discount? You're kidding me, right? And as far as saving Boris, that's a two way street because Boris SAVED this entire season last year. No one was counting on him doing much of anything and the guy was one of three players in the entire league to average 13 points, 6 boards and 6 assts. Not to mention the way he stepped up in the playoffs.

And as far as him being a "third option" type guy - any guy that can create his own shot and create for others is hardly a third option. I say anything between 10 and 11 is pretty much right around what Boris deserves and at that price, which ain't even close to the MAX, his contract wouldn't be enormous, it would be in line with what other players of his ilk have gotten.

Bottom line, you just can't continue to NOT be able to get the in between deals (between the MAX and the MLE) done and hope to have prolonged success in this league. Especially considering that our guys on MAX deals or near it (like Nash and Marion) are getting older and Boris is going to be a HUGE part of not only this team, but the next era's team as well.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
And as far as him being a "third option" type guy - any guy that can create his own shot and create for others is hardly a third option.
Leaving the 'type' aside, Boris will be the third option at best for the Suns next season, and he'll continue to be the third option for the indefinite future if he re-signs.

And as far as saving Boris, that's a two way street because Boris SAVED this entire season last year.
Sure, just like Joe Johnson saved the entire season two years ago.

If Diaw doesn't come down on his demands, the Suns should absolutely let him ride into next season, then S&T his ass to one of those short-sighted East Coast teams for another high 2007 pick. Who knows, maybe they'll get a 'throw-in' in that trade, too, someone like Iguodala or Al Jefferson...

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
Does Boris worth $55m? IMO yes, ess talented players have this.

Should the Suns give him so much? I am not sure because MARION/NASH/AMARE are already in.

Should Boris ask $55m? I don't think so. the suns are a pefect team for him. He should accept a little discount to stay there. But even if he isn't greedy the suns will have to give him much.

Did the suns saved Boris? maybe, but Boris saved the suns.

His boris a third option?
I DON'T CARE
Who scores doesn't matter while the team can score!
The question is does he make the team better? Yes! Can he score? Yes Can he pass, rebound, block? Yes! Can he create shot for himself and teammates? Yes! Can he be a clutch player? Yes! Is he better when comes the playoff time? yes! Will Boris be more valuable than Marion in 2 years? IMO yes.

Go back on earth and face the truth, NBA is a business. You, americans, love giving the world lessons of liberalism. You can't reproach someone to take the money when he can. This is the market law. If you have a problem with it, you can try communism :D

Shazam

Reaction score
Here's what contract negotiations are probably actually like:

Diaw(on cell phone to agent)- "Hey, do I have a new deal yet?"
Agent- "Diaw baby, great news. Nene just re-upped for 6 and 60!"
Boris Diaw- "You are lying to me for real."
Agent- "Dead serious baby, I should be able to get at least 65 to 70 for a talent like you!"
Diaw- "Are you sure the team can afford that kind of money?"
Agent- "They can't afford not to afford you! Don't worry, their salary cap situation is probably just fine."
Diaw- "Great, I gotta get back to practice."
Agent- "DO NOT GET HURT!"

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
home-town discount? You're kidding me, right? And as far as saving Boris, that's a two way street because Boris SAVED this entire season last year. No one was counting on him doing much of anything and the guy was one of three players in the entire league to average 13 points, 6 boards and 6 assts. Not to mention the way he stepped up in the playoffs.

And as far as him being a "third option" type guy - any guy that can create his own shot and create for others is hardly a third option. I say anything between 10 and 11 is pretty much right around what Boris deserves and at that price, which ain't even close to the MAX, his contract wouldn't be enormous, it would be in line with what other players of his ilk have gotten.

Bottom line, you just can't continue to NOT be able to get the in between deals (between the MAX and the MLE) done and hope to have prolonged success in this league. Especially considering that our guys on MAX deals or near it (like Nash and Marion) are getting older and Boris is going to be a HUGE part of not only this team, but the next era's team as well.

That's right. It doesn't really matter of Boris Diaw is a third option on this current team. He projects to be at least a second option player, and more importantly he is fully capable of creating his own shots and shots for his teammates. He also could/should get even better.

Of course all of this is assuming that Gambo knew what he was talking about when he said that Boris Diaw is asking for $9-10 million per season. One thing Gambo likes to do is take one piece of solid information... in this case that the Barbosa negotiations are further along than Diaw's... and mix them with his own guesses and assumptions. I'm not saying that's necessarily what has happened here, but it's a very real possibility.

As soon as Nene got his $60 million offer from Denver I predicted that it would be difficult to re-sign Diaw. At that time I thought it would take a deal averaging at least $11 million. I hope Gambo's report is accurate and my initial guesses were wrong.

BTW - Nash's deal is nowhere near the maximum. A veteran with his years in the league should have a deal averaging something like $15-20 million. Even if we include his team option year in 2009-10, Nash's deal only averages $11.8 million over the next 4 years.

Joe

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
How funny perspective is...

Remember when we were debating if Joe was worth 50 million the summer before he left in restricted free agency? Well look what ended up happening. I think this is an even more likely scenario with Boris. We are quibbling over money with a kid who for all intensive purposes has shown MUCH more than Joe did prior to 04 - 05. Like it or not players are paid on potential in the NBA and it would be a grave mistake to let Boris test free agency, even at a restricted status. And Joe and Cheese are absolutly right. Boris projects to be a much more valid options as a guy who can carry a team on his back for a time. I'm not sure if he has STAT's potential as franchise guy but i am positive he has the skill set to be one of the best second options in the league...

If it comes down to Marion and Diaw - its not even a question in my mind. Like someone else said, Boris will likely get his money (after blowing up next year) and Shawn will be traded next off-season. And thats the smart thing to do. Just give him his money Sarver. History is bound to repeat itself if you don't learn from it........

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Leaving the 'type' aside, Boris will be the third option at best for the Suns next season, and he'll continue to be the third option for the indefinite future if he re-signs.

Sure, just like Joe Johnson saved the entire season two years ago.

If Diaw doesn't come down on his demands, the Suns should absolutely let him ride into next season, then S&T his ass to one of those short-sighted East Coast teams for another high 2007 pick. Who knows, maybe they'll get a 'throw-in' in that trade, too, someone like Iguodala or Al Jefferson...[/quote]

Pure insanity....:shock: