Gambo: Possible Cousins to suns

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny that part of Sac's reasoning for doing the trade now is "character matters" and the primary piece they're getting back was ejected from his previous meeting with Sacramento for deliberately punching Cousins' in the junk.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny that part of Sac's reasoning for doing the trade now is "character matters" and the primary piece they're getting back was ejected from his previous meeting with Sacramento for deliberately punching Cousins' in the junk.

They love Buddy but don't discount the value of that top 10 pick they'll receive in this year's lottery. Assuming it's business as usual, they could very well pass us by without breaking a sweat.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There you have it that's the guy the owner wanted despite better offers. He's as meddling as they come

We've never before seen the level of interference and ignorance that we've seen from that guy and he's probably nowhere near done.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They love Buddy but don't discount the value of that top 10 pick they'll receive in this year's lottery. Assuming it's business as usual, they could very well pass us by without breaking a sweat.

It does them little good to be that bad, if their pick is in the top 10 the 76ers have the right to swap picks. And they better get things moving in the right direction fast or their 2019 season can mirror the Nets season(6ers own that pick too, all for taking the previously mentioned Stauskas and Jason Thompson).

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Divac is incompetent and Ranadivé is the most bumbling, meddling owner in sports. He is like a mix of Mr Magoo and 1980s George Steinbrenner.

I don't know how many of you saw the video from the 2014 draft where he makes it clear to management that he wants "Stauskas?... Stauskas... STAUSKAS!" despite the cringing faces the rest of the people in the room make at the start of the conversation... but eventually the guy writing the checks turns them all into yes-men.

And he threw all those yes-men under the bus a few months ago absolving himself from any of the blame for that pick.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does them little good to be that bad, if their pick is in the top 10 the 76ers have the right to swap picks. And they better get things moving in the right direction fast or their 2019 season can mirror the Nets season(6ers own that pick too, all for taking the previously mentioned Stauskas and Jason Thompson).

It does them a lot of good. They lose the pick entirely if it's not in the top 10. And the Philly swap is a possibility but it isn't much of a threat. The big risk is Philly making the playoffs but that's not likely with 4 other teams above them in the race and their best player questionable. Even if they add a few extra wins, there are only 3 teams in the entire NBA right now with a worse record than Philadelphia. By the time the season ends they'll probably both finish among the bottom 6 or so.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing I wasn't aware of that is coming out now is how Cousins can't get the supermax $200 million+ extension this summer now that he's been traded. Had I known his extension would be about $30 million less on a new team I wouldn't have been that against trading for him. That price tag was way too high for someone who has never been able to win. I know the Kings are a horrible franchise but he was there for 7 years and never did anything, they had multiple GM's, coaches, and an ownership change in that time.

http://clutchpoints.com/demarcus-co...ran-player-contract-extension-trade-pelicans/

I think there is a chance he's a free agent after next season now also, unless things really click. I'm still not a fan of his and don't understand all the hype about him being the best center in the league but if the Pelicans don't make the playoffs this year or next then I think that sort of talk should be reigned in. The Pelicans aren't stacked but they're better loaded than the Suns are or would be even if we'd acquired Cousins.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He can sign one this summer but the extension he could have gotten from the Kings would have been more because of the new CBA, making it easier for teams who draft players to hold onto them. Since he's been traded though he no longer qualifies for the same sort of extension, he can only make 30% of the cap rather than 35%, had he stayed with the Kings.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well little sad suns didn't get cousins been a long time since suns made a good trade... but I mean kings really never won anything with cousins so how would that change with the suns.

Hope the suns have a good draft and find that key young players to fast forward the rebuild process cause losing stinks.....

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Well little sad suns didn't get cousins been a long time since suns made a good trade... but I mean kings really never won anything with cousins so how would that change with the suns.

Hope the suns have a good draft and find that key young players to fast forward the rebuild process cause losing stinks.....

The last trade we made was a good trade.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It would be great if we got lucky and something happened that did fast forward the rebuild process but trying to force that might be the worst thing we could do. We're looking at 7 straight years out of the playoffs but we didn't actually start our rebuild until after we parted ways with Nash and even then, we were trying to shortcut the process the first couple of years. Now, depending on how you view it, we are in year 3 or year 4 of trying to rebuild from ground zero (actually lower, we had very little talent and no youth).

But however you look at it, we're still early in the rebuild process; we need this draft and maybe even one more before we start looking like a team that can then grow into a contender. If we trade Bledsoe, that probably puts the playoffs at least 2 years down the road and maybe even 3. If we keep him, playoffs should be a realistic goal for next season but I don't know that any of us will be happy with our longterm ceiling if we don't add at least one additional lottery player.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He can sign one this summer but the extension he could have gotten from the Kings would have been more because of the new CBA, making it easier for teams who draft players to hold onto them. Since he's been traded though he no longer qualifies for the same sort of extension, he can only make 30% of the cap rather than 35%, had he stayed with the Kings.

OK thanks kingdad...That was helpful knowing that...Cousins can't even sign anything now plus he lost money on top of it. I'm sure there is a lot of mixed up feelings going around the Pelicans team/fans

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It would be great if we got lucky and something happened that did fast forward the rebuild process but trying to force that might be the worst thing we could do. We're looking at 7 straight years out of the playoffs but we didn't actually start our rebuild until after we parted ways with Nash and even then, we were trying to shortcut the process the first couple of years. Now, depending on how you view it, we are in year 3 or year 4 of trying to rebuild from ground zero (actually lower, we had very little talent and no youth).

But however you look at it, we're still early in the rebuild process; we need this draft and maybe even one more before we start looking like a team that can then grow into a contender. If we trade Bledsoe, that probably puts the playoffs at least 2 years down the road and maybe even 3. If we keep him, playoffs should be a realistic goal for next season but I don't know that any of us will be happy with our longterm ceiling if we don't add at least one additional lottery player.

The Suns can go different directions but it seems McD wants to upgrade but not give up his "core". So who is the core McD?? Booker and Bled...And who else?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns can go different directions but it seems McD wants to upgrade but not give up his "core". So who is the core McD?? Booker and Bled...And who else?

I'm sure it changes all the time for Ryan. But right now, I'd guess that Booker is part of the "core". Bledsoe is viewed as part of the core first, asset second. And Bender and Chriss are also probably core first, asset second. Warren and Len are assets first, core second. Ulis and Williams are probably core but no strong commitment to that idea, he'll move them if he needs to. Everyone else is filling a role, nothing more.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

This is at best the 2nd year we are rebuilding, more realistically it is the first year we really embraced the rebuild.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah but since Woj is pretty much always spot on and reliable we can rule that one out pretty much.

According to WOJ the final 2 offers that were considered came from New Orleans and the Lakers.

The Suns insider on realgm is a joke, in a later post he writes:

Don’t be surprise if the Suns do end up trading Brandon Knight to Orlando for Jeff Green’s expiring contract. That would give them the flexibility this offseason to maybe make a play for Demarcus Cousins. According to Cousins people, he is NOT happy with this trade. He feels like he and Anthony Davis are the same player in a sense that they both need the ball in their hands to be effective. Of course that can changes once they play together.

Cousins is not a free agent in the offseason. Also Cousins seemed pretty happy when the media informed him about the trade, New Orleans is 2 hours from his birthplace.
The insider guy on realgm is on target and rare with his info.

Cousins looked happy in an angry sort of way. He has insisted he wants to stay in Sacramento and being traded just cost him $30-40 million because he is no longer eligible for the designated player exception. No one is happy with losing

if the Suns really want Cousins, they can go after him as a FA in the summer of 2018 and they won't have to give up a high lottery pick to do it.

I am not sure I want to go for a star player right now at all. Get the top three pick and make a trade in the summer.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Suns insider is full of bs, what predictions of his ever came to fruition? He might have called some minor deal but more often than not it is nothing.

Our front office does not leak stuff like this anymore, all of McDonough moves came out of nowhere. And if I believe an insider, I'll go with Woj everytime and Woj says we had no real interest in Cousins.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05