Gambo: Possible Cousins to suns

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
From the way I read it went down, the owner in Sactown effed the whole trade with Cousins. Word is both us and the Lakers were willing to give better deals to Sactown for Cousins, but the owner in Sactown has a man crush on Hield and wanted the trade with the Pelicans. Supposedly Divacs was pissed, but the owner is the boss.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the way I read it went down, the owner in Sactown effed the whole trade with Cousins. Word is both us and the Lakers were willing to give better deals to Sactown for Cousins, but the owner in Sactown has a man crush on Hield and wanted the trade with the Pelicans. Supposedly Divacs was pissed, but the owner is the boss.

There was a little more to it. The Kings felt they owed it to Cousins to give him a heads up that they'd changed their minds and were going to move him so they notified his agent. His agent then started calling up every team that might be a destination and informed them that if they traded for Cousins they would pretty much be removed from teams he would later consider signing for. DeMarcus and his agent really wanted the extra 40M or so that he could only get by re-signing in Sacramento and did their best to scare away potential suitors.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it may but Cousins is so much more than just a quality player.

I think they need the right coach. Alvin Gentry is an awful coach and has been for a long time. His one decent season was a result of him adopting D'Antoni's coaching style and the Suns went on a run after. He looked good only because of how bad Porter looked before him.

I think it could work but the Pelicans need to get help around Cousins and Davis. Holliday is their next best player and even he is an average at best player. And the rest of the team is a complete joke and wouldn't even make the rosters of the top contending teams in the league.

I think Gentry will be gone at season's end. The Cousins trade did not help the situation. The Pelicans would have been better off getting more help for Davis. I'm not sure Cousins is a good fit for the Pelicans but they rolled the dice.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There was a little more to it. The Kings felt they owed it to Cousins to give him a heads up that they'd changed their minds and were going to move him so they notified his agent. His agent then started calling up every team that might be a destination and informed them that if they traded for Cousins they would pretty much be removed from teams he would later consider signing for. DeMarcus and his agent really wanted the extra 40M or so that he could only get by re-signing in Sacramento and did their best to scare away potential suitors.
I didn't know that part. So it was a major suck fest all around. Still, Sactown screwed the pooch on the only really available potential Super Star left this year. Amazing how little they ended up with compared to where they started out. They actually negotiated themselves down in value.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that part. So it was a major suck fest all around. Still, Sactown screwed the pooch on the only really available potential Super Star left this year. Amazing how little they ended up with compared to where they started out. They actually negotiated themselves down in value.

Did they? I don't think they had much choice. And they had another pick coming from New Orleans until the agent made his threat, at that time the Pelicans were no longer willing to continue with their original offer. Keep in mind that had they kept Cousins, they would have also lost their pick this season and now they'll only lose a couple of 2nd rounders instead (IIRC).

Anyway, the deciding factor in all this was the realization that they were about to commit to almost 240M dollars to a high risk player. A player that just about every teammate despised and one that had cost the franchise multiple coaches and assets through the years while averaging wins in the 20's. If they'd waited, they would have had to give him his max or let him walk for nothing. And the fear that no team would want him a year from now (when they could again trade him) was too much to risk.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05