Gambo: Possible Cousins to suns

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
McD is good but he's not perfect

McD has been in charge for about four years and this team is still at the bottom of the league. He made one of the most laughable combination of deals a few years ago sending away the coveted Lakers pick, Thomas, and Dragic and came away with Knight, who he subsequently overpaid in an extension. He named Watson head coach. He signed Tyson Chandler to an absurd deal. He's had only one impactful draft pick. I commend him for getting Bledsoe, but overall, he's done nothing to bring this team to relevancy.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
McD has been in charge for about four years and this team is still at the bottom of the league. He made one of the most laughable combination of deals a few years ago sending away the coveted Lakers pick, Thomas, and Dragic and came away with Knight, who he subsequently overpaid in an extension. He named Watson head coach. He signed Tyson Chandler to an absurd deal. He's had only one impactful draft pick. I commend him for getting Bledsoe, but overall, he's done nothing to bring this team to relevancy.

Dragic and Thomas wanted out... Brandon looked good potentially but doesn't seem to fit in with the Suns. Bottom line he was looking to salvage what he could out of a untenable situation.

Chandler was taken in an attempt to get Aldridge I thought

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
McD takes chances...Kerr couldn't get a deal done to save his life.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Even if the kings didnt want knight..

We are under the cap and didnt need to include him.. seems like Mcd didnt offer Bender, Warren, Len, Miami picks..

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
2019 first round draft pick from Sacramento
Sacramento's 2019 1st round pick to Philadelphia (unprotected) [Philadelphia-Sacramento, 7/9/2015]

Smh at Bryan Colangelo's luck.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd keep Jokic over Cousins.

Yeah, no way would I part with Jokic for anything the Kings have. He has to be on the very, very short list of untouchable players. We should trade Knight for him.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
And since when is Davis an "offensive big"?

He's probably a top 3 best defensive big man in the game. He can guard 1-5 with ease.
Um he scores 30ppg?

His defense is good but not top3 and I have never seen AD guard small guys.

AD+Boogie seems anawful combo to build around if you dont have 3 pure shooters.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not to nitpick, but Chandler's deal isn't "absurd".

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Dragic and Thomas wanted out... Brandon looked good potentially but doesn't seem to fit in with the Suns. Bottom line he was looking to salvage what he could out of a untenable situation.

Chandler was taken in an attempt to get Aldridge I thought

And McD has publicly come out saying he shouldn't have traded Thomas. Even if IT did want out, which I question, the Suns controlled him for three more years and could've leveraged a better deal down the road.Don't forget that the Suns also lost the Lakers pick from the Nash deal for no reason during that Goodwill donation.

McD was the biggest loser during that trade deadline fiasco. There's no denying it.

I like GMs who take chances, but ones who know what they're doing while risking assets. Having Chandler and Knight as a result of those "chances" are evidence of a growing problem in the Suns's FO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Porzingas is super inconsistent still. He's not really all that

He isn't consistent but for a 21 year old big man that plays anywhere on the court, he's incredibly consistent. And he is all that. There's a reason he's near the top of everyone's list of coveted players even though he is still as much project as he is player.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And McD has publicly come out saying he shouldn't have traded Thomas. Even if IT did want out, which I question, the Suns controlled him for three more years and could've leveraged a better deal down the road.Don't forget that the Suns also lost the Lakers pick from the Nash deal for no reason during that Goodwill donation.

McD was the biggest loser during that trade deadline fiasco. There's no denying it.

I like GMs who take chances, but ones who know what they're doing while risking assets. Having Chandler and Knight as a result of those "chances" are evidence of a growing problem in the Suns's FO.

There's no denying he messed up the Thomas deal. But ripping him for that deal has to be balanced against the fact we acquired him in the first place for some guy named Alex Oriakhi. And personally, as much as we'd like to undo our trades of Thomas and for Knight, I'm sure Miami is likely just as motivated to undo their trade of two first round picks for Goran Dragic.

Dragic has played well, especially since Whiteside returned to the lineup, but those picks look to be pretty valuable. And that Lakers pick still hasn't converted so we have no idea what we lost there. We'd much rather have it back than Brandon Knight but it could be the 20th pick in next year's draft for all we know.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He isn't consistent but for a 21 year old big man that plays anywhere on the court, he's incredibly consistent. And he is all that. There's a reason he's near the top of everyone's list of coveted players even though he is still as much project as he is player.

Yeah seriously. A 7ft who's athletic and can handle the ball? This year he's shooting a higher % from 3 than Booker. Oh and hes getting you 2 blocks a game.

Once Melo's gone he'll blow up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kings must really overrate Hield.

No, they were stuck and running low on options. Keeping him destroys their draft position this season which likely costs them their own pick. Having decided that they had no interest in paying Cousins 200M plus, now became the time to act. No sane team would deliver fair trade value because in addition to having to pay him the max, there was nothing they could do to guarantee the guy wouldn't just walk at the end of next season.

It was just a bad situation and it's why many Kings fans wanted it resolved with a couple years still on the table, as many of us have pointed out regarding Bledsoe's contract. We will face a very similar situation if we don't move him prior to the year he becomes an RFA.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And since when is Davis an "offensive big"?

He's probably a top 3 best defensive big man in the game. He can guard 1-5 with ease.

Yeah, forgive me for mistaking a guy who averages 27 a game and is huge as being an offensive big.

Incredible deal for new orleans, anthony davis can play all over the floor, no problem occupying same space as cousins. Plus They are now a big destination for a third star.

The one thing gs can't do is guard great bigs, so having two against them and pounding their ass on the glass is smart way to go.
New Orleans has a woeful need for spacing and shooting. One thing they didn't need... interior scoring. The lane is going to be very clogged on their offense now.

I'm not saying this trade doesn't make them better, but I don't think it makes them good. IMO they're a bad fit together.

I maintain, this was a stupid trade by two stupid teams. Sacramento waits this long to trade Cousins and gets a really poor return, New Orleans continues their habit of making big splashy... and totally redundant move. The ONLY THING they had going for them was a superstar, monster scoring, interior big. Yes, having two stud bigs is nice, but it isn't enough, this isn't the 90s you HAVE to be able to score from the outside and you have to be able to attack in transition. I don't see how they're going to significantly improve either of those areas before Cousins is deciding if he is going to walk.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Yeah seriously. A 7ft who's athletic and can handle the ball? This year he's shooting a higher % from 3 than Booker. Oh and hes getting you 2 blocks a game.

Once Melo's gone he'll blow up.

Playing in the skills competition is not a proof for "handling the ball".

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I would have done Bender and both Miami picks but Sacramento likely views Hield much better than they do Bender.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Seeing what the Kings got for Cousins makes me sad. I feel we could have easily offered a better deal without giving up Booker or Bledsoe. Our pick this year alone is worth more than the Pel's entire deal in my opinion. Happy for Gentry. A true gentleman of the sport.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Our pick should be untouchable, unless it was Anthony Davis coming back, not Cousins.

If it is true that we offered Len, Knight, Warren and our 2017 pick unprotected we dodged a bullet.

Now McD pls be smart enough to not offer that for Paul George.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And that Lakers pick still hasn't converted so we have no idea what we lost there. We'd much rather have it back than Brandon Knight but it could be the 20th pick in next year's draft for all we know.
And that pick would still have much, much more value than Brandon Knight.