Gambo: Possible Cousins to suns

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I like Cousins, but I'd say No to this. The Suns are currently the #4 lottery seed, which gives them about a 38% chance of landing in the top three. Based on what I hear about the strength of this draft, plus the Suns' financial situation, a top-three pick is probably worth more than Cousins. So either negotiate minimal protection for the pick (top one? top two?), or politely decline the deal.

OP
OP
H

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The callers, gambo and burns are all idiots focusing on cousins's attitude, as if that means anything for whether the trade should go through.

The question they need to discuss is whether the suns should deviate from their timeline, given the Warriors are winning the title for the next 3 or 4 years.

OP
OP
H

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The callers, gambo and burns are all idiots focusing on cousins's attitude, as if that means anything for whether the trade should go through.

The question they need to discuss is whether the suns should deviate from their timeline, given the Warriors are winning the title for the next 3 or 4 years.

BTW bill simmons says the Celtics will not give up this year's pick, that's how valuable it is. So suns proposed deal, with nothing more, is reasonable.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Cousins, but I'd say No to this. The Suns are currently the #4 lottery seed, which gives them about a 38% chance of landing in the top three. Based on what I hear about the strength of this draft, plus the Suns' financial situation, a top-three pick is probably worth more than Cousins. So either negotiate minimal protection for the pick (top one? top two?), or politely decline the deal.

I know they would want an unprotected pick, but top 2 or 3 protection would get me to bite on the trade. Top 2 protection or it is an unprotected first and second next year. The Kings would never go for this unless they really want to dump Cousins.

Interesting. McD trades are never leaked ahead of time. This is NOT coming from the Suns org according to Gambo, its coming from the Kings. If Cousins knew of this trade, would he work to force it since he is buds with Bledsoe? Could this "leak" be a way of the Suns trying to put a little pressure on Sacremento? Hmmm.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We're actually 2nd in the "race for worst" and catching the Nyets will be almost impossible.

Side topic, but for all the complaints about us not tanking... we're tanking, about as well as could be hoped right now.

If the season ended today we'd have a 20% chance at the top pick, a 56% chance at top 3 and could pick no later than 5th (which, because its our luck, is exactly where we'd pick).

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know they would want an unprotected pick, but top 2 or 3 protection would get me to bite on the trade. Top 2 protection or it is an unprotected first and second next year. The Kings would never go for this unless they really want to dump Cousins.

Interesting. McD trades are never leaked ahead of time. This is NOT coming from the Suns org according to Gambo, its coming from the Kings. If Cousins knew of this trade, would he work to force it since he is buds with Bledsoe? Could this "leak" be a way of the Suns trying to put a little pressure on Sacremento? Hmmm.

Yeah, Gambo used to have a big mouthed source in the organization, but since McD took over he has been as blind to the Suns moves as we are.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kings sources denying.

Funny, if it doesn't pan out, I will be relieved.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really. If these two teams really want to do this deal. It would be better to do it this summer.

1. If the Suns trade for Cousins, the Suns get better and the pick is not as attractive to Sacramento. Sacramento wants a top pick.
2. The Suns would want an extension from Cousins, which they could get this summer.

It takes uncertainty out of the equation for both teams, and there is really no urgency to do this deal now for either team.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BTW bill simmons says the Celtics will not give up this year's pick, that's how valuable it is. So suns proposed deal, with nothing more, is reasonable.
Bill Simmons is an idiot. Even Ainge and Rivers has agreed about that.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Exactly how I feel. Cousins is a top 10 player, if the deal is there you have to make it. Why else are we hoarding all these 'assets'? To keep rolling the dice on getting a franchise player? Guess what? Cousins is one. Many said Barkley was a immature punk before he came to Phoenix, and the Suns took that chance. It seemed to work out ok.

Exactly. No risk it No biscuit

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't know what to think. Cousins is a tremendous talent and a disruptive influence. Also, this is the Suns best real chance at the #1 pick in years in one of the best drafts in years. I would give up both Miami picks before I give up this year's pick.

His free agency is a factor too.
That doesn't make any sense. If the Suns acquire Cousins, then the Suns pick this year won't be good regardless of whether we keep it or not. We certainly won't have a "real chance at the #1 pick" with Cousins, Bledsoe and Booker all on the team.

I'd care more about keeping one of the Miami picks than I would the Suns own pick in this case.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trading for Cousins at this time is far too risky IMO. He can't sign with us right now and neither he nor his agent can bind him to us in any way. Yes, he likes Bledsoe but I'm pretty sure he's even closer to Wall and Washington is much closer to contending than we are. He'd play for us for a couple of months and that would quite likely be it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What really boggles my mind is that Gambadoro is usually pretty accurate with his information. It's understandable the Kings would deny it.

The Suns trade for Cousins doesn't make any sense unless it happens this summer because the Suns would likely rise out of the #2 slot with him on the team.

Maybe the Suns are still working a trade with Knight, Warren, Len and pick(s) for Cousins.

Or maybe a third team is involved in a super trade.

Personally I am not a Cousins fan but maybe this is the Barkley moment for McDonough.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barkley didn't turn around the franchise. They were coming off a WCF's appearance when they traded for him. We're talking about adding Cousins to one of the worst teams in the league.

not quite. They made the WCFs in 1989 and 90. In 1992, they were coming off losing 4-1 to Portland in the Semifinals when Stevie Burt missed a turnaround 8 footer to win Game 4 in 2OT... the last game ever at Veterans, before losing Game 5 on the road. And the year previous to that, they got manhandled by the Jazz, 3-1 in round 1, losing Game 1 of that series at home by something like 38 points. He didn't have to turn them around, but they were headed toward playoff purgatory.

that said, I don't know how I feel about this deal.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
not quite. They made the WCFs in 1989 and 90. In 1992, they were coming off losing 4-1 to Portland in the Semifinals when Stevie Burt missed a turnaround 8 footer to win Game 4 in 2OT... the last game ever at Veterans, before losing Game 5 on the road. And the year previous to that, they got manhandled by the Jazz, 3-1 in round 1, losing Game 1 of that series at home by something like 38 points. He didn't have to turn them around, but they were headed toward playoff purgatory.

that said, I don't know how I feel about this deal.

You're right it was 90' not 92'... Chambers' production was declining at that point.

Still they were a 53-win team and this team won't win half that many.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ryan McDonough is in the final year of his contract and record wise, the Suns are just as bad as they were when he took over 4 years ago. So I'm sure he's feeling some pressure to deliver on that "superstar" that he's been promising Suns fans that he'll get with all the assets and draft picks they have.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right it was 90' not 92'... Chambers' production was declining at that point.

Still they were a 53-win team and this team won't win half that many.

It also put the Suns on the map. They were one of the top draws on the road and on TV. Other players wanted to play here and advertising dollars went through the roof. We went from being that AZ market team to the entire country paying attention.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
We're actually 2nd in the "race for worst" and catching the Nyets will be almost impossible.

Side topic, but for all the complain ts about us not tanking... we're tanking, about as well as could be hoped right now.

If the season ended today we'd have a 20% chance at the top pick, a 56% chance at top 3 and could pick no later than 5th (which, because its our luck, is exactly where we'd pick).

I say we make the trade because we probably end up picking fifth and miss out on Ball or Fultz

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say we make the trade because we probably it up picking Ruth and miss out on Ball or Fultz

Okay so I figure there's a typo or two here but even still I'm falling short? What exactly are you talking about? I get some of it but even what I get makes little sense to me, it's not like we have a reputation of wasting a pick when there's a nearly sure player on the board and I have no idea what the Ruth reference means.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd rather trade Bledsoe to the Kings and get their current draft pick (plus other goodies). Let Bled and Cousins unite in Cali instead of AZ.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05