Gambo: Possible Cousins to suns

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If this is coming from a Kings source, then I would think it's the Kings that are motivated. Maybe Cousins told them he will not sign an extension with them.

In that case we are bidding against Boston and Ainge has been low balling. Some of the suggested offers are more than had EVER been given up for ANY player. What did it take for Garnett to go to Boston, Gasol to the Lakers, or Barkley to the Suns. That is probably the type of deal we are looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Okay so I figure there's a typo or two here but even still I'm falling short? What exactly are you talking about? I get some of it but even what I get makes little sense to me, it's not like we have a reputation of wasting a pick when there's a nearly sure player on the board and I have no idea what the Ruth reference means.
I think he meant to say "end up picking fourth and missing...."

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just really hesitate to give up so much for a player in the last year of his deal.

Orlando gave up Oladipo, Ersan, and Sabonis for Ibaka. Now they are shopping Ibaka who will be an unrestricted FA this summer. Yuck.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather trade Bledsoe to the Kings and get their current draft pick (plus other goodies). Let Bled and Cousins unite in Cali instead of AZ.

Unfortunately, that can't happen. It's already committed to Chicago (top 10 protected).

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
According to Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee, there is nothing to the King-Suns DeMarcus Cousins trade rumor.

Jones contends that the Kings are not actively looking to deal Cousins, particularly if they don't get a high-level player in return, so the lottery picks from Phoenix reportedly will not be enough to move the needle for Sacramento. It needs to be noted that this most recent rumor was based on a discussion that happened between the two teams prior to Christmas, but ever since the Kings announced that they are planning to sign Boogie to a massive extension this summer, they have not engaged with any teams on the trade front.

Source: Jason Jones on Twitter
Feb 1 - 11:01 AM

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conspiracy Theory (and not so farfetched IMO): The deal was tentatively agreed to well before Christmas, in fact it was agreed to by the middle of November.

Ryan, wanting to avoid similar fallout to the Marcus trade, informed Warren's agent of pending deal. Warren flipped and went through the motions in the 11-18 game at Indiana leading to his benching (Watson was pissed about his effort and said so). It also prompted the mysterious comment by Watson about having to trade away a highly regarded young player (that many thought was a reference to Bender) followed by the subsequent Warren month long absence attributed to a "minor head injury" that was never witnessed.

Before they finalized the deal, the Kings owner stepped in and vetoed it. So they put TJ back on the floor and moved on. Unfortunately, Warren is still going through the motions because he feels unappreciated and betrayed by a team that would send him to Sacramento of all places.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt this actually happens.

I do as well but Gambo rumors regarding the Suns usually come true. If the trade occurs this summer it makes perfect sense.

I wish the Kings would take Knight, Warren plus picks.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do as well but Gambo rumors regarding the Suns usually come true. If the trade occurs this summer it makes perfect sense.

I wish the Kings would take Knight, Warren plus picks.
Conspiracy Theory (and not so farfetched IMO): The deal was tentatively agreed to well before Christmas, in fact it was agreed to by the middle of November.

Ryan, wanting to avoid similar fallout to the Marcus trade, informed Warren's agent of pending deal. Warren flipped and went through the motions in the 11-18 game at Indiana leading to his benching (Watson was pissed about his effort and said so). It also prompted the mysterious comment by Watson about having to trade away a highly regarded young player (that many thought was a reference to Bender) followed by the subsequent Warren month long absence attributed to a "minor head injury" that was never witnessed.

Before they finalized the deal, the Kings owner stepped in and vetoed it. So they put TJ back on the floor and moved on. Unfortunately, Warren is still going through the motions because he feels unappreciated and betrayed by a team that would send him to Sacramento of all places.

My conspiracy theory. The trade is already agreed upon, but it is planned for the coming summer. The contingency is that the Suns pick has to be top 5 or something. Some Kings insider only heard part of it and let it slip. The Kings and Suns are now doing damage control because it can't come out that it is in the Suns best interest to lose games in order for a trade to happen.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My conspiracy theory. The trade is already agreed upon, but it is planned for the coming summer. The contingency is that the Suns pick has to be top 5 or something. Some Kings insider only heard part of it and let it slip. The Kings and Suns are now doing damage control because it can't come out that it is in the Suns best interest to lose games in order for a trade to happen.

Nice try but I like mine better.:)

About a month or so ago, reports started leaking out about the Kings front office. They were all focused on the fact that Ranadive was interfering on every decision and was the de facto GM. I think that was the result of him again canceling a proposed trade.

Remember, it's well known that the owner is the Cousins fan within the organization. Shortly after that, we started hearing about the super max deal for Demarcus this offseason. Demarcus really wants that contract and has been balling on a new level since that came out and keep in mind, that takes him off the market for awhile (a full season I think).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still, I don't think Gambo comes out with this rumor now unless he gets information leaked from the Suns. He prides himself with insider information. I'm going with the summer trade theory unless the Suns and Kings are intent on making it happen now. Maybe the Kings are wanting Bledsoe in the trade which is a sticking point. Both sides want the best deal possible.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Like cheese I don't know how I feel about this.

It's like Barkley in he's a Barkley level talent with some Barkley level headaches, albeit younger than Barkley was when we acquired him. But we are also not a playoff team looking for a superstar that would put us over the top as was that Suns team.

I am digging the building through youth and this draft seems to be the first opportunity for us to snag a homegrown super stud since we took Amare. If we hit a home run with this draft and Chriss and/or bender hits and Booker continues to develop I think we will be a vastly superior team, for many more years, than if we trade for boogie and become a playoff team now. And there's no guarantee that we even become a playoff team now with his addition.

Almost convinced myself to stay the course.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have to gamble on Cousins if the opportunity comes up. He's a legit top ten player in the NBA and 26 years old those type of guys just don't become available.

Do you really need another rookie this team is already super young

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost convinced myself to stay the course.

I'm already convinced to stay the course, I'm just a little disappointed to learn that we probably tried to make this deal. With the change in the CBA and the huge dollars available to almost every team, the original plan of trading for a superstar and hoping to sign another big name or two just doesn't fly IMO. Especially when there's at least one franchise ahead of you in this game. I just figured we were smart enough to realize that building through the draft was the only real avenue available to us.

And I'm still of the opinion that Cousins is highly overrated. For some reason, people tend to point to the things he does well and often overlook the other things. This guy couldn't even win it all on a loaded college team, inarguably one of the most talented teams ever.

IIRC, that year Kentucky had 8 players drafted off a team that didn't even make the final 4. I know most of that talent was freshman but that was a very advanced group and highly rated group. Four of their players were drafted in the top 20 and two of them in the top 5. Those same two are now typically considered to be the best in the game at their position but one of them's best NBA season looks an awful lot like one of our really bad seasons.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to gamble on Cousins if the opportunity comes up. He's a legit top ten player in the NBA and 26 years old those type of guys just don't become available.

Do you really need another rookie this team is already super young

Why? He's reportedly closer to Wall than Bledsoe, what's the likelihood he stays with a depleted Suns roster instead of signing with a far better Washington team. How in the world could we justify that risk? And how many here would be calling for everyone's head once that happened?

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Perhaps it merits another thread, but who are you guys leaning toward if we got a top-3 pick? The top 4 prospects on NBAdraft.net are point guards.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why? He's reportedly closer to Wall than Bledsoe, what's the likelihood he stays with a depleted Suns roster instead of signing with a far better Washington team. How in the world could we justify that risk? And how many here would be calling for everyone's head once that happened?

Well what's the rumor. You'd be giving up Alex Len who's nothing special, TJ Warren is solid at best and a #1 and that's never a sure thing. It's not like your giving up anyone from your core.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still, I don't think Gambo comes out with this rumor now unless he gets information leaked from the Suns. He prides himself with insider information. I'm going with the summer trade theory unless the Suns and Kings are intent on making it happen now. Maybe the Kings are wanting Bledsoe in the trade which is a sticking point. Both sides want the best deal possible.

But Gambo is never shy about saying that he has a source on the Suns. In this particular case, he said his source was a Kings insider. Of course, if Cousins himself is trying to force something, I could see Gambo calling that a Kings source.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Perhaps it merits another thread, but who are you guys leaning toward if we got a top-3 pick? The top 4 prospects on NBAdraft.net are point guards.
Fultz, Ball and then Jackson for me. Fultz is a little similar to Bledsoe in terms of style, but projects to be better at just about everything (not a guarantee, but very possible) and would clearly be more of a Bledsoe replacement. Ball with his style could easily coexist with both Bledsoe and Booker and the offense would be terrific with the 3 of them on the court together. Jackson seems like the best fit as he could slide right into the starting SF role and would take over a similar role to that of Tucker, but should be a much more versatile player on offense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Most people who are for the trade are assuming we would get a commitment from him to resign here.

But any verbal commitment is non-binding and I do not trust him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fultz, Ball and then Jackson for me. Fultz is a little similar to Bledsoe in terms of style, but projects to be better at just about everything (not a guarantee, but very possible) and would clearly be more of a Bledsoe replacement. Ball with his style could easily coexist with both Bledsoe and Booker and the offense would be terrific with the 3 of them on the court together. Jackson seems like the best fit as he could slide right into the starting SF role and would take over a similar role to that of Tucker, but should be a much more versatile player on offense.

My evaluation would be almost exactly the same. Fultz is a rare complete player. Ball is Jason Kidd with a three pointer. Jackson is PJ Tucker with a more diverse offensive game. No he is not as physical, but he is a very effective defender. I do think there is a step down from Fultz to Ball, and a bigger step down to Jackson.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
My evaluation would be almost exactly the same. Fultz is a rare complete player. Ball is Jason Kidd with a three pointer. Jackson is PJ Tucker with a more diverse offensive game. No he is not as physical, but he is a very effective defender. I do think there is a step down from Fultz to Ball, and a bigger step down to Jackson.
Agreed. If all 3 are available we should take Fultz and if Fultz is off the board and Ball and Jackson are available I take Ball. The thing I love about Ball is that I don't believe he has to strictly play PG to be a very effective player. I think he could be out there playing anywhere from 1-3 and will still make the offense better. Jackson would be a solid consolation prize if the others aren't available and I think he could be very similar to Wiggins if he cleans up his jump shot.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well what's the rumor. You'd be giving up Alex Len who's nothing special, TJ Warren is solid at best and a #1 and that's never a sure thing. It's not like your giving up anyone from your core.

You're right, it's not a sure thing but neither is the idea that Cousins will make us a winner and that's if he stays. Given the talent advantage Washington has and the fact Cousins is even closer to him, I don't think "staying" is very likely.

Warren's been disappointing but don't forget, he was clearly our best player the first month and a half of the season. We'd also be giving up Bender, a player a lot of people believe in.

I might be willing to trade our number 1 this year if we were getting a player locked up for a few years but that's not the case. All we're getting is a few months of Cousins and the chance to join all the other teams in a bidding war. And this is happening at the worst time because almost every team either has room or has an easy path towards creating that room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05