Gambo: Possible Cousins to suns

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am old enough to remember giving up picks for Antonio McDyess just to watch him bolt back to Denver. Can you imagine giving all that up for Cousins and then having him bolt after a year?

Yes, go ahead, trade for Cousins, but do it when we can his name on the line for an extension.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're right, it's not a sure thing but neither is the idea that Cousins will make us a winner and that's if he stays. Given the talent advantage Washington has and the fact Cousins is even closer to him, I don't think "staying" is very likely.

Warren's been disappointing but don't forget, he was clearly our best player the first month and a half of the season. We'd also be giving up Bender, a player a lot of people believe in.

I might be willing to trade our number 1 this year if we were getting a player locked up for a few years but that's not the case. All we're getting is a few months of Cousins and the chance to join all the other teams in a bidding war. And this is happening at the worst time because almost every team either has room or has an easy path towards creating that room.

Bender isn't part of the rumor. Top ten talents just don't become available. A core of Bleadsoe, Booker and Cousins with Chriss, Ulis and Bender still being very young is a very good looking young team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am old enough to remember giving up picks for Antonio McDyess just to watch him bolt back to Denver. Can you imagine giving all that up for Cousins and then having him bolt after a year?

Yes, go ahead, trade for Cousins, but do it when we can his name on the line for an extension.

That moment crossed my mind too and that kind of outcome would be even worse today because teams have a much harder time getting high quality free agents and the recent deal will make it even more of a rarity.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't believe guys are really scared to do this. Well he might leave, well he might get here and love it.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Virtually any trade for big man that sends Alex Lin out of town I am for. If somehow we can get Knight included it really is a dream come true.

However I read somewhere that Cousins is the slowest player in the NBA.

Is that really true?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bender isn't part of the rumor. Top ten talents just don't become available. A core of Bleadsoe, Booker and Cousins with Chriss, Ulis and Bender still being very young is a very good looking young team.

Actually, it depends on who you listen to but yes, Bender was a part of the rumor. But either way, it will be Bender or Chriss and I've even heard rumors that there is at least 1 more draft pick involved. Or, was involved. I do think the reports coming out of the Kings are accurate, Cousins is no longer available.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Virtually any trade for big man that sends Alex Lin out of town I am for. If somehow we can get Knight included it really is a dream come true.

However I read somewhere that Cousins is the slowest player in the NBA.

Is that really true?

One of the slowest for sure, I don't know if he's actually the slowest but it wouldn't shock me. He's also the most blocked player too and he has an incredibly high usage.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe guys are really scared to do this. Well he might leave, well he might get here and love it.

You don't give up a potential number 1 pick in a year that most people say is one of the best drafts in recent memory for the chance to do the same exact thing you can do when the season ends. We can enter the bidding, we have plenty of cap space. We don't need his Bird Rights. Why in the world would you want to give up a great draft pick, a highly regarded teenaged prospect and a player that's shown the ability to score at a high level (plus Len for whatever you think that's worth)?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get all the Cousins hype, if the deal was for Warren, Len, and one of the Miami picks I'd do it but I think his talent is overstated here. He's not a top 10 player in the league, he can't lead his team to the playoffs. I don't think that can be ignored. People are expecting him to come here and turn us into a playoff team but he can't turn his own team into a playoff team. He's a better center than what we have but I don't see the need to rush into this trade when we'd have to give up our own first round pick, which is #2 overall right now, for someone who could be a rental. I know Cousins joining the team would help us win more games and our pick wouldn't be that low but knowing the Suns luck we'd trade our pick, it'd end up #1 overall, and Cousins bails when he has the chance in a year. If we were to trade for him it should be in the offseason, when he can be signed to an extension.

For how many people here that still complain about losing the Lakers pick, despite it being a late lottery pick at this point, I'm surprised to see more advocating a trade sending off what would be a top 3 pick in a really good draft. I'd definitely let both Miami picks go, because we keep our own. When you're a bad team that misses the playoffs every year you don't trade your own lottery picks unless it nets you a superstar who is locked into a longterm contract.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get all the Cousins hype, if the deal was for Warren, Len, and one of the Miami picks I'd do it but I think his talent is overstated here. He's not a top 10 player in the league, he can't lead his team to the playoffs. I don't think that can be ignored. People are expecting him to come here and turn us into a playoff team but he can't turn his own team into a playoff team. He's a better center than what we have but I don't see the need to rush into this trade when we'd have to give up our own first round pick, which is #2 overall right now, for someone who could be a rental. I know Cousins joining the team would help us win more games and our pick wouldn't be that low but knowing the Suns luck we'd trade our pick, it'd end up #1 overall, and Cousins bails when he has the chance in a year. If we were to trade for him it should be in the offseason, when he can be signed to an extension.

For how many people here that still complain about losing the Lakers pick, despite it being a late lottery pick at this point, I'm surprised to see more advocating a trade sending off what would be a top 3 pick in a really good draft. I'd definitely let both Miami picks go, because we keep our own. When you're a bad team that misses the playoffs every year you don't trade your own lottery picks unless it nets you a superstar who is locked into a longterm contract.

yeah... i do kinda wonder how much of an impact Cousins could make. he's been playing on a bad team in a loaded West for years, but the West is NOT what it once was and that team STILL sucks outloud. You'd think if he was that special, that team would have a solid grip on the 8 seed at least, and I know he's putting up monster stats, but is just Kevin Love. A guy who put up massive stats on a really bad Wolves team who couldn't elevate them at all? I mean, even Barkley back in the day on pretty bad Sixer teams took them to the playoffs at this point in his career and even won a couple series. And can Cousins really be "the best" player on your team with hopes of winning a title? Not to mention that our pick this year could be a franchise game-changer.

pretty torn here.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah... i do kinda wonder how much of an impact Cousins could make. he's been playing on a bad team in a loaded West for years, but the West is NOT what it once was and that team STILL sucks outloud. You'd think if he was that special, that team would have a solid grip on the 8 seed at least, and I know he's putting up monster stats, but is just Kevin Love. A guy who put up massive stats on a really bad Wolves team who couldn't elevate them at all? I mean, even Barkley back in the day on pretty bad Sixer teams took them to the playoffs at this point in his career and even won a couple series. And can Cousins really be "the best" player on your team with hopes of winning a title? Not to mention that our pick this year could be a franchise game-changer.

pretty torn here.

Not only are the Kings really bad but Cousins has a lot of pull with the owner and GM. He's had how many coaches fired at this point? He may not have Lebron type influence but they've had some players there throughout Cousins time that should have helped turn them around. Rondo led the league in assists playing there for a year, Thomas broke out playing there before he signed with the Suns, and he's had Rudy Gay also who isn't a superstar but is a solid SF who can score at a high rate. Now a team like New Orleans with Anthony Davis have had bad luck with injuries but they've managed to win more than Sacramento because of Davis, mainly. They're also in the West so if the Pelicans can ride Davis to the playoffs then there is no reason Sacramento couldn't have ridden Cousins with the sidekicks he's had over the years.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not only are the Kings really bad but Cousins has a lot of pull with the owner and GM. He's had how many coaches fired at this point? He may not have Lebron type influence but they've had some players there throughout Cousins time that should have helped turn them around. Rondo led the league in assists playing there for a year, Thomas broke out playing there before he signed with the Suns, and he's had Rudy Gay also who isn't a superstar but is a solid SF who can score at a high rate. Now a team like New Orleans with Anthony Davis have had bad luck with injuries but they've managed to win more than Sacramento because of Davis, mainly. They're also in the West so if the Pelicans can ride Davis to the playoffs then there is no reason Sacramento couldn't have ridden Cousins with the sidekicks he's had over the years.

You can't be serious the Kings are a model of a bad franchise to try and act like they've given him everything is just plain wrong.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't be serious the Kings are a model of a bad franchise to try and act like they've given him everything is just plain wrong.

They are a lousy franchise but to just assume Cousins isn't a part of the problem is wrong IMO. Their new owner is 10 times worse than what the Sarver haters here think he's been. Cousins gets coaches fired but at least he's a great motivator. A lot of his teammates have been motivated to go elsewhere.

On the plus side, he reportedly has been a very positive factor in the community. And he isn't a walking police blotter despite his reputation as a hot head. Plus, he was very young when he was defying Westphal and getting him and other coaches fired. There is a fair chance that many of his problems are behind him. But if you're truly the best in the league at your position, it seems strange that you can't even lead your team close to the Love-led Twolves level.

But, as I've said, the deal breaker for me is that I believe he'd be an almost LOCK to go elsewhere.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Okay so I figure there's a typo or two here but even still I'm falling short? What exactly are you talking about? I get some of it but even what I get makes little sense to me, it's not like we have a reputation of wasting a pick when there's a nearly sure player on the board and I have no idea what the Ruth reference means.

sorry, i meant to say we probably end up picking 5th and end not getting a chance at either Ball or Fultz.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry, i meant to say we probably end up picking 5th and end not getting a chance at either Ball or Fultz.

I see. That would be a disappointment but I'd still be thrilled drafting someone like Markkanen or Isaac or even Dennis Smith, should he be available.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I support it just because this team sucks and nothing matters

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But i would rather have Cousins than those guys

I'm not so sure you'd say that a few years down the road but even granting that, again, we're only really talking about 3 months of Cousins. Anything beyond that is highly unlikely IMO. Just google Wall and Cousins and see how many times those guys names have been linked.

And remember, Wall was the starting point guard when Cousins was at Kentucky. I think his first choice is to re-sign with the Kings because he can get so much more money from them than anywhere else but once that option is gone, I can't see him choosing Phoenix over Washington or one of the premium contenders or one of the big population centers. We'd be way down his list IMO.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If the plan is to build around Booker/Bender/Chriss/1st round pick, then we should be getting rid of PJ/Chandler, and even Bledsoe to get the young guys minutes and be best positioned for a top 3 pick. (which can replace Bled anyway)

Building around Bled/Booker/Bender/Chriss/Cousins is kind of intriguing as well. Tough choice.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the plan is to build around Booker/Bender/Chriss/1st round pick, then we should be getting rid of PJ/Chandler, and even Bledsoe to get the young guys minutes and be best positioned for a top 3 pick. (which can replace Bled anyway)

Building around Bled/Booker/Bender/Chriss/Cousins is kind of intriguing as well. Tough choice.
We do need a low post offensive threat. One of the reasons Steve Nash had so many assists was that Amare, Marion, JJ, etc could finish.

Chriss can catch the oop and dunk but that's about it in the low post. Len's low post efficiency is pretty poor. You have to wonder, is it that Bled doesn't get the ball to them in a position to score or that they cannot finish.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this draft is very guard heavy we have really good young guards already. It's a good draft but make mistake there is not a lebron or Duncan in this draft at the top.

Anyone in this draft that's 6'11 and gonna average 28 points and grab 10 rebounds while getting you 4 assist? Doubt it highly doubt it.

If he leaves he leaves man you gotta take risk sometimes. Can't live life scared

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We do need a low post offensive threat. One of the reasons Steve Nash had so many assists was that Amare, Marion, JJ, etc could finish.

Chriss can catch the oop and dunk but that's about it in the low post. Len's low post efficiency is pretty poor. You have to wonder, is it that Bled doesn't get the ball to them in a position to score or that they cannot finish.
From watching unfortunately I think it's both. I don't think Bledsoe is a great creator for his teammates. And I don't think we have high percentage finishers. Awesome combo. But, that's one reason we are the second worst team in the league.

Everyone, let that sink in . . . we are the second worst team in the league. Not, we are are talented and bounces haven't gone our way. Our combination w-l record is only better than the awful nets. The more I thought about that the more I think I'm realizing, adding cousins isn't going to necessarily make us a playoff team. And it's likely definitely not going to make us a title contender. So more I think about it . . . the more I'm a "no" on the deal. We need a transcendent player to pull us out of second worst team and give us hope of becoming a contender when our potential begins maturing. That guy is not on our roster. Maybe he's the first or second guy in the draft. He's likely not boogie cousins.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this draft is very guard heavy we have really good young guards already. It's a good draft but make mistake there is not a lebron or Duncan in this draft at the top.

Anyone in this draft that's 6'11 and gonna average 28 points and grab 10 rebounds while getting you 4 assist? Doubt it highly doubt it.

If he leaves he leaves man you gotta take risk sometimes. Can't live life scared

BTW. On 45% shooting, which is not so hot for a big man shooting that much.

Let me put that in perspective, Alex Len is shooting over 50%, Tyson Chandler is shooting 68% . . . .

I guess he would be in improvement in efficiency for us at the PF spot, but our present usage there is so low, he might hurt us more than help us with his higher usage.

The attitude, low efficiency, losing team, parade of coaches. I am beginning to think fools gold.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might be willing to trade our number 1 this year if we were getting a player locked up for a few years but that's not the case. All we're getting is a few months of Cousins and the chance to join all the other teams in a bidding war. And this is happening at the worst time because almost every team either has room or has an easy path towards creating that room.

Just to clarify, if the Suns traded for Cousins now they would have him for the remainder of this season and the 2017-18 season as well.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05