Gambo rumor

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Melvin Ely and Brevin Knight.

I love Brevin Knight, but he's not a good enough shooter for the Suns system. He can sure run and offense and run the break still.

Guarantee it's not Monta Ellis, rumor is he tore his ACL in summer league yesterday, they're waiting for results. :(

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Melvin Ely and Brevin Knight.

That's about $8 million in salary for next year. Who are you removing the Suns roster to make that deal?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
That's about $8 million in salary for next year. Who are you removing the Suns roster to make that deal?
I'm guessing Kurt Thomas. It's nothing substantial or legit, I just heard both were on the block and fit the profile of the guys Gambo mentioned and fill needs.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I'm guessing Kurt Thomas. It's nothing substantial or legit, I just heard both were on the block and fit the profile of the guys Gambo mentioned and fill needs.

I doubt KT's on the block anymore, now that TT left

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just a question, not that it is a possibility...

I read somewhere (maybe on here, so it's probably only half-true) that we got a trade exception in the #21 to Boston trade. Now I know you can't combine a player and an exception, but can you combine two seperate exceptions to make a larger one?

EDIT: No, you can't.

Last edited:

_Ra

Reaction score
Gambo has a history of talking just to hear his own voice and making up rumors. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
True, but over the last year or so his rumors have been a lot better and in most cases entirely accurate.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
_Ra said:
Gambo has a history of talking just to hear his own voice and making up rumors. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

This is holdover from his days of Diamondback hating back when we were actually a good team. But over the past year or two, he's been pretty accurate, but that is overshadowed by his earlier rumormongering.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jamaal Magloire.... I guess the Bucks are desperate to trade him

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:

I wouldn't mind seeing "the big cat" in Phoenix, but I'm not sure he can run with the Suns. Though I guess not many traditional bigs can.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I've thought about this a lot, and a Kurt Thomas for Magloire trade kind of makes sense for both teams. Kind of.

The Bucks have Bogut and Gadzuric at center with two soft 4s in Villanueva and Joe Smith. Thomas would solidify the 4 for them allowing Villanueva to play a big 3. That would be a pretty dynamite front line. I bet Thomas would be happy playing his natural position on a team that plays more to his pace. None of the three Bucks centers -- Bogut, Gadz, or Magloire look very good at the 4, and Villanueva at the 4 creates matchup problems for them defensively.

Defensively, Magloire would be a fine get for the Suns, probably better than Thomas, and he's not an offensive liability.

HOWEVER, two problems on Magloire. First and foremost, he's in the final year of his contract, one in which a strong argument could be made he was vastly underpaid compared to what much lesser centers received. What would he command on the open market now? $12 million per? $14 million per? It's kind of scary to think what he could reasonably expect NEXT YEAR.

A second lesser problem is Magloire is a back-to-the-basket player. He's probably a little more versatile than we think of him, but his strength is not playing the elbow or high post. I think it's a lesser problem, though, because the Suns figured out how to use KT, too, and all the other great things Magloire brings -- size! -- would probably outweight the minor problem of getting him adjust to the offense. Like KT, he's not going to be a guy finishing on the break. But he's definitely a guy who can start one with a defensive rebound or a block, and no defender want's to be on the receiving end of a Magloire pick.

I do think it's a potential win-win for both teams for ONE SEASON, even assuming the Bucks would want KT and pick (and nothing else) in exchange. But now we're back to giving up value for renting players, gambling that a move like this would put the team over the top.

And I write all this knowing D'Antoni would never go for it, because Magloire just isn't a D'Antoni kind of center. I just felt it was something that needed to be said. ;)

Last edited:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
_Ra said:
hes been accurate in recent history

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
Why would we trade KT when we are seeking depth at the post ?

My bet :

James Jones and Pat Burke to Toronto for Calderon and a resigned Woods

Toronto then matches what Mike James gets or prays Williams stays healthy. They really lack depth at SF...Bargnani and Joey Graham are about it. So JR could come in very handy. Calderon is in his last yr...and he and Barbo can compete for a spot. Consider him leverage. Woods is returning to the desert to perhaps finally do something. and he may be a cheap 7 ftr for a couple yrs. Maybe having Lute on the sidelines will help him (albeit courtside). We might have to sweeten it up with a second rnd pick...but we sure can do it.

we still have $$ to get another FA if need be. Jumaine maybe?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hugh D'Man said:
Why would we trade KT when we are seeking depth at the post ?

My bet :

James Jones and Pat Burke to Toronto for Calderon and a resigned Woods

Toronto then matches what Mike James gets or prays Williams stays healthy. They really lack depth at SF...Bargnani and Joey Graham are about it. So JR could come in very handy. Calderon is in his last yr...and he and Barbo can compete for a spot. Consider him leverage. Woods is returning to the desert to perhaps finally do something. and he may be a cheap 7 ftr for a couple yrs. Maybe having Lute on the sidelines will help him (albeit courtside). We might have to sweeten it up with a second rnd pick...but we sure can do it.

we still have $$ to get another FA if need be. Jumaine maybe?

I think Calderon is a possibility, but I still say the Phoenix Suns have absolutely no interest in Woods. The guy is a head case.

Joe

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I think Calderon is a possibility, but I still say the Phoenix Suns have absolutely no interest in Woods. The guy is a head case.

Joe

wasn't Hunter as well ? Didn't he have a rap being unable to pay attention ?

what is in Woods' past that gives him a psycho label ? I'm not aware of his looniness.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
hes been accurate in recent history

Gambo is one of the most accurate in sports. Unlike most of the other guys who are ex-jocks, this guy has a journalism backround and a ton of legit contacts. Compared to most, he is pretty accurate. Not to mention he has people in almost all of the franchises at the management level that leak him stuff all the time.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SteelDog said:
Gambo is one of the most accurate in sports. Unlike most of the other guys who are ex-jocks, this guy has a journalism backround and a ton of legit contacts. Compared to most, he is pretty accurate. Not to mention he has people in almost all of the franchises at the management level that leak him stuff all the time.

I know Gambo personally. He's not the idiot people seem to make him out to be, but -- and I say this without any malice -- he is one of the least accurate, poorly connected loud mouths on the radio. He has gained better footing inside the Suns org, but his reputation among his peers as someone who does real journalism before speaking into the mic ... it's not good. Not good at all.

As former print journalist, nothing -- and I mean nothing -- Gambo does follows the rules of print journalism. Most of his columns online would fail Journalism 101.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
I know Gambo personally. He's not the idiot people seem to make him out to be, but -- and I say this without any malice -- he is one of the least accurate, poorly connected loud mouths on the radio. He has gained better footing inside the Suns org, but his reputation among his peers as someone who does real journalism before speaking into the mic ... it's not good. Not good at all.

As former print journalist, nothing -- and I mean nothing -- Gambo does follows the rules of print journalism. Most of his columns online would fail Journalism 101.

Gambo has had men killed for less.... Watch your back tonight on your way home

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
I can't read the name Pape Sow without thinking of that hilariously awful Kevin Federline song, Popo Zao. It just cracks me up.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Muggum said:
I can't read the name Pape Sow without thinking of that hilariously awful Kevin Federline song, Popo Zao. It just cracks me up.

Popo Zao in catanese means "Grandmother Skinny"

/learning Chinese

nowagimp

Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Gambo has had men killed for less.... Watch your back tonight on your way home

Gambo is known to be especially lethal when he takes on Gingerbread Men, he's a real culinary athlete.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Didn't Gambo call the James Jones acquisition a few weeks before it happened?

The Pacers have a plethora of point guards. Pollard is a free agent, and is probably done. He didn't have much of anything left last year. Foster might be a different story, but he's been fragile - although he is a hellacious rebounder. Just say no to Tinsley; he's Jason Kidd-lite and a malcontent on top of that.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Didn’t Gambo say that Marion & JJ were going to Orlando for Tmac? What happened to those sources?

HooverDam

Reaction score
jbeecham said:
None of those trades sound very good and depending on what we give up they could be a lot worse for our team. I'd rather take my chances with Jay Williams and Lampe. I'd even take a look at Sean Dockery from Duke who went undrafted. He was more of a pure PG for a stacked Duke team. He's got pretty good shooting percentages over the last 2 seasons, but he didn't shoot very much (48%fg, 43% 3pt two yrs ago, 47% fg, 40% 3pt last year).

You wouldnt do James Jones and a 2nd Round pick for Michael Ruffin and Donnell Taylor? I think that would be a fantastic trade. We NEVER use our 2nd rounders anymore, and I've always liked Ruffin (though Ill admit I dont watch the East much and have only seen him a few times).

Furthermore, a trade like this probably doesn't preclude the Suns signing guys off their summer roster like Lampe, Tommy Smith, or whomever else.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05