Game 3 Impressions: Cardinals 24 Raiders 23

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I think it's time to move Wilson to OLB.

If Johnson comes in for Wilson and put Wilson at Porter's spot, I wonder what that would do for the pass rush.

I know Joey isn't the player he once was but you really cant be serious. :doi:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, I thought the Cards ended the game, having one TO. And I was surprised that Whiz didn't use it to ice the kicker on the missed FG. Did anyone else see that happening?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Some of these big guys have things like exercise induced asthma I am sure the Cards look for stuff like that.

But I agree if that continues it would be a concern.

There's medication for exercise induced asthma. Not an excuse in my book.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks, Mitch.

No cheese whiz on my screen this week, but I think I blew out a vocal cord.

Looking forward to what you'll have to say after San Diego.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Quote: Mitch

* All pre-season all we heard was how unblockable DD and CC were...yet...these guys, other than with occasional flashes---have yet to show up. What is up with that? Obviously no team is worried about Bryan Robinson---who tried hard yesterday but was repeatedly knocked backwards and started chasing plays nearly back at the linebacker level. Dan Williams gets into the game and makes a bone crushing tackle on McFadden...only to be replace the next series. Just don't understand this.

Good write-up Mitch-----concerning the NT position. I too am not understanding why Bryan Robinson is starting, especially in light of his inability to keep the double team off DD or the trash off the line backers.
Why is Watson not playing or even suiting up? When I did see Williams in the game, he got winded easily, although he did his job very well when he was fresh.

I still don't understand the handling of Watson. He has done all the things that the team has asked of him. He has lost weight, gotten stronger, learned the playbook and the techniques. Yet he is benched, (ala Matt Leinart). Is he just not one of Whizenhunts guys too? He has clearly outplayed ALL other NT competition on this team. What is your take on this???

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Derek Anderson is, unequivocably, the WORST QUARTERBACK I'VE EVER SEEN.

Leinart must have been stage 4 cancer for him not to have even been our back-up. That's the only explanation that makes any sense. Otherwise, that decision was a MONUMENTAL mistake by Wiz.

seriously... no hyperbole... WORST QB I'VE EVER SEEN.

When I'm looking down the sideline for Josh McCown, times are really bad.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Quote: Mitch

* All pre-season all we heard was how unblockable DD and CC were...yet...these guys, other than with occasional flashes

Dockett without a doubt did show up in this game. 7 tackles, 1 sack, 2 tackles for loss, and 2 QB hurries.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
Great post as always...

...but my favorite is:

Here's a key stat for the game...LOOSE BALLS: Raiders 3 Cardinals 0. The two uncanny KO blunders and Joey Porter's stripping of Gradkowski that resulted in a mad loose ball scrum and chase... had the Cardinals picked that one up, we all might have been off the oxygen and tequilla shots a half an hour earlier.

....and there it is: "Oxygen and Tequila Shots: A lifetime of watching gut-wrenching Cardinals football".....I had been struggling for an autobography title, thank you!

/I had been a bit depressed about how bad we've looked, but then I realized how many years we've been 0-3 or 1-2 in my lifetime...so I'll take 2-1 any way we can get it....

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Too funny... though, I have my doubts as to whether McClown would have gotten us the 2 W's so far this year.

You do remember that in 2005 the Cards won more games with McCown as starter than with Warner?

:p

Captain Matt

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch...loved the post, but please, please go back and watch the game and focus your attention on Dockett. While the stat line wasn't huge, he was extremely disruptive.

1st series 2nd down he blows by the guard....unfortunately the run was to the other side.
3rd down, after the penalty, he chases down Grad for a tackle.

2nd series, 1st down one of the funniest plays of the day was DD blowing by the guard, hitting the FB, then the RB, then the QB just as he released the ball. He was like a freaking Tazmanian devil on that play.
1st down (after the Wilson penalty) he explodes of the line to his the RT, immediately recognizes run, breaks away and chases down the RB and cleans up the tackle.

3rd series (at the 5 yd line) DD lines up on the right side, blows by the G, redirects when he sees them running away from him again, and cleans up the tackle.
Next 2 plays he was back on the left and double teamed on the incompletions.

After the botched punt he takes a play off.... Comes in after the big gain on that play, on the left side, recognizes run (away from him) immediately and pushes the center into the hole.
Lines up left on 2nd down and is a part of the gang chasing Grad on the roll-out that goes for an incompletion.
3rd down he's double teamed for the incompletion.

5th series he's out for the firdt 3 plays (Branch) and McFadden runs for 7, 15 yard completion, and a deep incompletion. On 2nd down he comes in and they run away from him again (are we seeing a trend here?) for a short gain. On 3rd down he's double teamed and pancaked on the incompletion.

2nd Q, 6th series, he runs past the play (a run to his sied!) and McFadden scoots past for a medium gain.
Good protection on 2nd down, rushes wide on the completion for a 1st.
Slides to the right side on 1st, and starts to disengage as another "run" is away from him, recogizes the flea flicker and drops in coverage.
Back on the left on 2nd and is double teamed on the roll-out, then chipped as the play breaks down and Grad is run out of bounds.
Looks like he kind of takes the play off on a long 3rd as the Raiders are in max protect and they get the 16 yard completion for the 1st.
Is out on 1st (Iwebem is in when Porter gets his deep stuff), and 2nd for the deep incompletion, but comes in and draws the double team on 3rd when Lennon knifes in behind the line for the sack.

After our 3-n-out he draws the RT, TE, and a chipper from McFadden on the Lennon interception.

4 plays later he's out (Branch is in after the shuttle pass debacle) and McF goes for a medium gain. He's doubled on 2nd when Miller catches the 1st down completion.
Double teamed at the nose on 1st as McF slides past for the big gainer.
Sldes back left on 1st, sniffs out the run and goes wide to force McF back in the middle for an easy tackle following a short gain.
Blows by the G on 2nd as the Raiders draw us in for the screen and a big gain.
Collapses the left side on the goal line on 1st down snd the play is stuffed.
Riaders run the sweep away from Dock for the TD.

More of the same in the 2nd half....

Puts 3 Raiders on their back on 1st down, etc, etc,

No, if you re-evaluate DD, he had a good game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser