Game Thoughts: Cardinals 31 Seahawks 20

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Unit Grades:

Offense: A-. Hey, they overcame a sluggish start, a rare goose egg in the first quarter, a demoralizing goal-line stand by the Seahawks and a daunting 14-0 deficit at home where, for whatever reasons they have struggled this year. Kurt Warner struggled early because he was floating his passes (like he was early in Chicago), which alters his WRs' timing. But, he got his legs under him in the second quarter and started throwing darts, which led to a 340 yard 2 TD performance and a 123 QB rating. Whiz's decision to give Q a week off looked all the more brilliant today, as Q looked as good and healthy as he has looked in well over a year. His holding pnealty was the one knock. Then, there was a re-emergence of the classic Fitz...the backshoulder TD pass from KW was as prefectly crafted as a Shakespearean sonnet. Stevie Breston was outstanding and looked like the Stevie Wonder of last year and the Stevie Wonder of punt returns his freshman year. The offensive line played exceptionally well...Reggie Wells had his best game of the season and possibly his best game ever, as his blocks sprung Beanie Wells on both his outstanding TD runs. While I mentioned Beanie, wow, what an effort and what a showcase of pure talent out there from him today...it gives us all goosebumps, doesn't it? Mike Gandy got nabbed for two holds, and I thought on the second one that Trapp committed the obvious penalty as he had both hands on the bottom of Gandy's face mask and was pushing Gandy's neck backward. But, Gandy played hurt and for the most part played well. I am becoming enamored with Lyle Sendlein at center...this kid plays with such a good tempo. Deuce was solid and Levi has perhaps his best game as a Cardinal, as he basically dominated Patrick Kerney...which was aided and abetted by good Cardinal coaching because on several occasions Whiz had Tim Hightower chip Kerney, which made him a little skittish. Hightower played hard as usual. Kreider, Spach and Becht did their jobs as blockers well...the highlight was Kreider's block on Wells' first TD and Spach's block on Wells' second TD.

Defense: C-. Pretty ugly (an apt oxymoron) giving up drives of 99, 91, and 84, 80 yards...and often looking about as alert as the town drunk on the streetcorner at 7 AM. There were really only four ballers on the defense all day: FS Antrel Rolle (who, because of the poor effort of his teammates had to spend the whole day preventing 3rd string RB Justin Forsett from scoring multiple TDs at will); DT Darnell Dockett, who played hard and tough all day (the face mask penatly could have been a non-penalty because Dockett didn't bring Forsett down by the facemask, he was just wrapping up a good hard tackle); OLB Clark Haggans (who has become surprisingly effective as a pass rusher and got to Hasselbeck on several occasions); and CB DRC who blanketed Nate Burleson all day to the tune of 0 catches (yes the same Burleson who predicted a Seahawks win and proceeded to get shut out). The rest of the defense, save Bryan Robinson's sack and a couple of decent plays by BMF (who really turned in a stinker today all-around), were bascially sitting ducks and non-factors. The two inside LBers Karlos Dansby and Ali Highsmith were atrociously poor, not only in effort, but in basic fundamentals. DC Bill Davis appeared to have no counter or answer once gain (see the Carolina game) for the off-tackle play where they seal the 3 DL inside. This is now a major concern (you think the Seahawks after rushing for 11 yards the first game watched the Carolina tape?) OLB Bertrand Berry got one pressure and after that completely checked out mentally and physcially (the two off-sides plays were totally inexcusable and the first one allowed the Seahawks a great escape from the 8 yard line. And then there's Adrian Wilson, who is not only being used improperly by new DC Bill Davis, remains a disaster in coverage. Seems like every time this year a player is wide open, and it's usually a TE in or near the red zone, Wilson was confused or doing his own thing.

Special Teams: A. Rackers and Graham were spectacular again...and the cover teams were rock solid.

Coaching: B. The players were not ready to play this game...but they rallied and whatever was said at half-time helped. It also helped that Whiz is so good at diffusing controversy...as he did with Q during this week. Whiz is extraordinary at tempering his own ego. He's master at it. Q called him out publicly...Whiz never flinched and handled it with unusual aplomb. Plus, give Whiz credit for having the cajones to go for it on 4th and 1, even after the first goal-line stand went against him and the team. The funny thing was, how in the world was it a 4th and 1 at the 11 yard line, when Wells' slapping 15 yard penalty following a first and goal at the 3, should have been a first and goal from the 18 yard line? Does anyone have an answer for this?

Game Balls:

Warner
Fitzgerald
Boldin
Breaston
Wells, B.
Wells, R,
Sendlein
Brown, L.
Dockett
Rolle
DRC
Rackers
Graham
ST Coach Kevin Spencer

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I wouldn't give a game ball to anyone on an offensive line that couldn't get its RBs one yard twice.

Game balls to BWells and whichever member of the offensive staff made the route adjustments to get the WRs from being blanketed to open toward the end of the first half and for most of the second half.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The funny thing was, how in the world was it a 4th and 1 at the 11 yard line, when Wells' slapping 15 yard penalty following a first and goal at the 3, should have been a first and goal from the 18 yard line? Does anyone have an answer for this?

I was confused by this as well. It seemed like the announcers were equally confused although they never really addressed it.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was confused by this as well. It seemed like the announcers were equally confused although they never really addressed it.

I think the ref's screwed up. Fitz got the first down at the 4 yards line. A personal Foul after the play moved it back to the 20.

First and goal I thought. Am I wrong?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Gandy got nabbed for two holds, and I thought on the second one that Trapp committed the obvious penalty as he had both hands on the bottom of Gandy's face mask and was pushing Gandy's neck backward.

I can NOT get over this...that was a TD called back because of that, and it was BLATANT that Gandy did NOT do anything on that play other than almost get his neck broken.

That call was a travesty, and the refs should be fined for making it. Seriously, that was ass-tasting bad and there is no reason in the world professional referees should call holding on that, ever. Throw in that it was a point-changing call (from 7 points to 3), then they need to know wtf they are doing. They did not. That call pisses me off like nobody's business.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Dick Stockton is a clueless idiot and I hate when he calls games.

So no I don't know why we could pick up a first down when is was 3rd and goal.

Stockton doesn't know why the Cards can't take the lead when they are down by 7 and are obvioulsy going to kick the extra point. DUDE is dumb as a bag of hammers and so he wont' be able to tell us what was up with this situation.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can NOT get over this...that was a TD called back because of that, and it was BLATANT that Gandy did NOT do anything on that play other than almost get his neck broken.

That call was a travesty, and the refs should be fined for making it. Seriously, that was ass-tasting bad and there is no reason in the world professional referees should call holding on that, ever. Throw in that it was a point-changing call (from 7 points to 3), then they need to know wtf they are doing. They did not. That call pisses me off like nobody's business.

100 % agree. The first horrible call that Whis had reversed had me proffessing my love for instant replay/ challenges. Of course the Cards crapped the bed with that 4th and 1 at the goal line.

PI on McFadden in the 4th QTR was a horrible call.

I usually bitch about the Zebras but today had me talking to myself at a much higher rate then normal.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
FWIW
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/9086/officials-made-right-call-after-wells-penalty

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- NFL officiating director Mike Pereira says officials made the right call on a key ruling during the Cardinals' 31-20 victory over the Seahawks.

The Cardinals had gained 3 yards on second-and-2 from the 7. Officials then flagged Arizona running back
Beanie Wells for a 15-yard penalty after the play.

In short, the Cardinals faced first-and-10 instead of first-and-goal from the Seattle 19 after officials flagged Wells.

"They made the first down and then got called for the unnecessary roughness," Pereira wrote in an e-mail. "It will always be first-and-10 unless the foul is against an official."

I did not know that. Neither did anyone I spoke with in the press box, including team and league officials.

Referee Walt Coleman got it right.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch, as always I seek out your thoughts of the game as soon as it's over.

What happened to the paragraphs? :)

I really don't have anything to disagree with.

I do want to say that this team truly impressed me today. Got off to a slow start and had to dig out of a 14 point hole and that's what they did. It wasn't like we got off to a quick start and threw the Hawks off their game plan. We had to adjust and fight our way back into the game, then into the lead and finally a commanding lead.

This may be my favorite win of the season.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The funny thing was, how in the world was it a 4th and 1 at the 11 yard line, when Wells' slapping 15 yard penalty following a first and goal at the 3, should have been a first and goal from the 18 yard line?

Watching at a sports bar without audio, i was especially baffled by this! Here's what it says in the NFL Gamebook:

2-2-SEA 7 (10:13) K.Warner pass short left to L.Fitzgerald to SEA 4 for 3 yards (J.Wilson).

PENALTY on ARZ-C.Wells, Personal Foul, 15 yards, enforced between downs.

1-10-SEA 19 (9:45) (Shotgun) K.Warner pass incomplete deep left to S.Breaston (K.Jennings).

I don't recall ever seeing a penalty being enforced "between downs", or the line to gain being moved backwards... but maybe i'm just going senile. ?!

...dave

EDIT: Just saw Bert's post - good find and thanks for the explanation!

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Graham needs to make the probowl. dude is amazing.

:yeahthat:

I was concerned about him outkicking the coverage early in the year but he is MONEY.

On an unrelated note, I think SyracuseMan19y7493's signature expands the screen too much. I have to scroll right to find the "go to" button. Anyone else experiencing this? Is it something I can fix or does he have to resize his signature?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On an unrelated note, I think SyracuseMan19y7493's signature expands the screen too much. I have to scroll right to find the "go to" button. Anyone else experiencing this? Is it something I can fix or does he have to resize his signature?

I've found it mildly annoying, but so far haven't said anything. For me, he would only have to trim it about an inch

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
Krieder had a horrible first half and a much better second half.He had three plays I wrote notes on that he was the key culprit for the plays failure.He needs to pull his head out earlier in the game.If were gonna waste a man on having him in the game knowing he can't catch then he better drive someone out of the picture and not walk into a hole with people on either side and stand still.That was his third turkey play he made.

The first two I'll have to check my notes to refresh my memory.Reggie Wells is a pulling fool and was making key second level blocks and I salute him as a past O-Lineman.He's the best we got.Yes he can screw up too,but he is still the best blocker the CARDINALS have.

No One has commented on the absence of J.Urban.I noticed Doucet on the field instead of J.U. Did anyone have an Urban siteing today?Doucet dropped one for a first down right in his hands.Kids got to buck up.At least he's got quicks.

I agree Graham for game ball today.What a weapon he truly is.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100 % agree. The first horrible call that Whis had reversed had me proffessing my love for instant replay/ challenges. Of course the Cards crapped the bed with that 4th and 1 at the goal line.

PI on McFadden in the 4th QTR was a horrible call.

I usually bitch about the Zebras but today had me talking to myself at a much higher rate then normal.

I agree. McFadden has as much right to the ball as the WR. The WR was actually behind McFadden. It was just a plain bad call.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Krieder had a horrible first half and a much better second half.He had three plays I wrote notes on that he was the key culprit for the plays failure.He needs to pull his head out earlier in the game.If were gonna waste a man on having him in the game knowing he can't catch then he better drive someone out of the picture and not walk into a hole with people on either side and stand still.That was his third turkey play he made.

The first two I'll have to check my notes to refresh my memory.Reggie Wells is a pulling fool and was making key second level blocks and I salute him as a past O-Lineman.He's the best we got.Yes he can screw up too,but he is still the best blocker the CARDINALS have.

No One has commented on the absence of J.Urban.I noticed Doucet on the field instead of J.U. Did anyone have an Urban siteing today?Doucet dropped one for a first down right in his hands.Kids got to buck up.At least he's got quicks.

I agree Graham for game ball today.What a weapon he truly is.

I noticed this and haven't taken the time to comment on it yet. I was wondering who had to sit for Early to be active. I did notice #80 in during a punt so maybe he is stepping up enought to be on ST's and therefore move Urban down a notch.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I agree. McFadden has as much right to the ball as the WR. The WR was actually behind McFadden. It was just a plain bad call.

The only thing McFadden did wrong was cut off the Wr's route and you cant do that. According to the rules, thats PI. The bad thing about the play was the ball was thrown about 15 yards inside of the receiver instead of outside.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch-----as usual your observations are astute and accurate. I especially like the game balls you handed out as someone has finally recognized Reggie Wells, Lyle Sendlein, and Levi Brown for their contributions. If you go back and look at the posts on this board, this year, our O-line has contributed nothing but penalties and disaster all year, (yet we are 6 and 3 after today. Must have been SOMETHING there before today.

For the most part I agree with your Defensive assesment. However I will say that Dansby did contribute one VERY IMPORTANT stop late in the game on a pass where he kept the receiver from getting 1st down yardage, AND kept him inbounds when he was headed for the sideline and a clock stoppage. That one play was critical at the time, but you are correct in that he did little else all day. Very few of the defensive players made most of the plays today, and you awarded game balls fittingly.

Special teams were spectacular in my estimation.

Coaching, except for special teams, was only adequate in my estimation. Too many players on Offense and Defense were NOT put into position to be able to excell. I thought much talent was being wasted today, but the players worked through it.

Once again-----great post Mitch. You are as steady as a rock, and I truly look forward to your thoughts on each game. Well done my friend.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I think the ref's screwed up. Fitz got the first down at the 4 yards line. A personal Foul after the play moved it back to the 20.

First and goal I thought. Am I wrong?
Officials made the right call... http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/9086/officials-made-right-call-after-wells-penalty

Obviously most of us, even Sando, were not aware of this rule. A personal foul after making a first down results in pushing you back 15 yards and starting first and 10 instead of first and whatever (first and goal in this case).

DS_Whit

Rookie
Reaction score
Graham needs to make the probowl. dude is amazing.

I was thinking how great it would be to see a fake punt with Graham running some sort of option play from the backfield. I am sure that the coaching staff could think of something that could use Graham's many skills from his rugby days. His foot is amazing.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

The refs sucked today. They really where slowing the game down to a crawl. I don't know if it was because things were getting out of hand, but the refs were too much a part of this game, and its out come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05