Game Thoughts: Saints 45 Cardinals 14

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
One word comes to mind: "Ouch."

Remember this though: this game was an aberration, as embarrassing a defeat as it was, for this is the first playoff game in two years that the Cardinals weren't competitive in---they won 4 others and nearly won the Super Bowl.

One of the more encouraging aspects of this year's team was the team's improvement in terms of physcial strength and toughness. While the offense was able to maintain their physical strength throughout the duration of 18 games, the defense was not. The defense checked out, for all intents and purposes, in Week 16. The irony is, the defense garnered 3 Pro Bowl selections in DT Darnell Dockett, SS Adrian Wilson, and CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, while the high powered offense only garnered one in WR Larry Fitzgerald.

Anyway, back to the physical toughness issue. If this game doen't put even more stock in the team's need to re-sign S&C guru John Lott, what does? Lott has made significant progress with these players, and this progress must continue if the Cardinals ever have hopes of hoisting a Lombardi Trophy. Imagine a Cardinal defense that plays as sudden and tough as the Saints' did yesterday.

Aside from not playing physical football on the defensive end, the mental discipline and toughness that is so necessary for NFL defenses to have was glaringly absent the past three weeks. It is absolutely mind-boggling that after the 35 point second half the defense gave up to the Packers, allowing them to score easy TDs on all five of their second half possessions---where on many occasions the Packer receivers had no Cardinals within five yards of them in coverage---how this trend carried over into the Saints game. Why this wasn't ironed out during the week, is a question that needs to be asked repeatedly.

You see, it's one thing to give up 10 TDs in 12 possessions (for an NFL payoff record)...but it's HOW the Cardinals' defense was giving them up. It would be one thing if we were watching the Cardinals' DBs fight and claw like crazy trying to cover the receivers...then you could just say, hey, pat Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees on the back for playing lights out the way Kurt Warner did versus a very good Packer secondary. At least the Packers were close to making the plays. The Cardinals weren't remotely close...and on the very few occasions they were, the DBs got turned around and had no sense of where the ball was: witness Adrian Wilson's poor coverage on the Jeremy Shockey TD versus a player who could barely run...witness the 3 yard TD---straight pass to the WR--that Bryant McFadden gave up.

How is it even conceivable that finally when Davis started matching players up that Karlos Dansby could be asked to cover Marques Colston? Two plays later Michael Adams was assigned to Colston. Why wasn't Greg Toler? At times it looked as if no serious preparation had been done to defend the Saints.

What's so confusing about DC Bill Davis is that on other occasions his defense came out of the tunnel with a clear purpose and with the coverage matchups set...like they did in the Viking game where they played tight coverage on the WRs. and confused Brett Favre with shifting safeties and blitz packages. Many of us were totally perplexed as to why Davis abandoned that plan in the very next game at San Francisco...and really since the 49er game the defensive planning has been questionable at best.

Davis didn't suffer from a lack of personnel or---until yesterday---devestating injuries. When you have two interior DL the caliber of Dockett and Campbell, a solid anchor OLB in Clark Haggans, and athletic, rangy playmaker in ILB Karlos Dansby and two Pro Bowl DBs in Wilson and DRC, the cupboard is pretty well stocked. Plus, Davis had veterans such as FS Antrel Rolle, CB Bryant McFadden, DT Bryan Robinson, ILB Gerald Hayes and DEs Bertrand Berry and Chike Okeafor to work with. As all the TV commentators who worked the games pointed out, the Cardinals have talent on defense.

But, one of Davis' shortcomings was that---as some of the older veterans were tiring---he was very slow and reluctant in developing the young talent---yesterday the most effective and aggressive DB on the field was CB Greg Toler---and perhaps the inconsistent pass rush over the past three games might have been given a boost had OLB Will Davis been given some snaps here and there---and, as tentatively as Monty Beisel played yesterday, one has to wonder if Reggie Walker might have been a better option in helping to stop the Saints' running game---or at least worth a look.

The one bright spot on defense in the first Packer game was the FS play of Rashad Johnson---I went back and watched the tape keying on Johnson and I wish you would too---he was rarely out of position, he took good angles to the ball and he made good, hard secure tackles (only missing one that I saw). Thus, with Antrel Rolle ailing, it remains a mystery to me why Johnson was inactive in both the playoff games. The decision was to take nickel back Ralph Brown out of his position and into an unfamiliar role as nickel FS---at the other cover 2 safety the decision was to play newly acquired S Hamzah Abdullah, who posted 10 tackles in the first Packer game playing SS in place of Wilson, but does not look natural or instinctive in deep coverage as a FS. The bottom line is, the defensive coaches should have stressed coverage and by choosing Brown and Abdullah over Johnson---a player that Nick Saban called "the smartest player I've ever coached," this doesn't speak well for the coaches' preparation, nor does is speak well for their ability to bring along the young talent if a walk-on like Abdullah, who lacks FS skills, can come right in and get the nod over Johnson.

Don't be surprised if Johnson makes a strong impact next year, provided Whiz does the right and imperative thing by bringing in a new DC and DB coach.

As for Kurt Warner, it speaks volumes to his character that he retuned to play in the second half. As much as he has worried about his long-term health, he plays fearlessly on the football field. And, there is no question that because he is so feared by opponents, they are going to take shots at his head anytime they can, to either hurt him or rattle him. Well, it appears that you have to knock him out, because he won't get rattled. We've seen him play with one arm, with one decent hip, and we've seen him bounce back from a concussion, and all this guy does is play at a level of excellence that is extraordinary.

My hope is that Kurt Warner reminds himself that he is now painting as many Rembrandts as he ever has...his performances this year, especially on the road, were nothing short of masterful.

I don't now about you, but ever since ESPN broke the speculation that Warner was going to retire, it has taken away a significant portion of the excitement I had for the Cardinals and the playoffs. Honestly, it's been sad thinking about having to watch the team try to move forward without him. I really had faith that Warner would play out his two years and honor his contract. In a way it was like a safety net, because I, like some of you, figured that if the team didn't make it back to the Super Bowl this year, they would still have a good chance to make it next year.

If Warner retires, expect the Cardinals, after this defensive meltdown, to be picked 3rd in the NFC West next season behind the 49ers and Seahawks.

The good news is that one would think a good free agent QB would jump at the chance to play in this offense. But, the not so good news is, because of teams' being able to restrict 5th year free agents, the market for good free agent QBs is very thin.

The debate over whether Matt Leinart can lead the offense to a winning season and the playoffs will be rampant on this board for quite some time. It will be interesting to see what Whiz will do. It would seem imperative that he bring in a free agent to compete with Leinart and that he will draft a QB this year, knowing that Leinart's cap number in 2011 is going to approach $14M.

As for Karlos Dansby, in the words of Ken Harrelson, "He gone."

Regardless of whether Warner is returning or not, the team---with all of its defensive needs---would be smart to consider trade offers for Anquan Boldin. But---as much as Boldin is respected around the league---missing playoff games again this year due to injuries does not help his market value. The Cardinals won't let Q go for peanuts...but a team like the Dolphins might make a reasonable offer, in which case, the Cardinals might make a move this time.

What also may be interesting this off-season is the status of Ken Whisenhunt's contract situation. He heads into the 4th year of his contract (the club has a 5th year option) and is currently making about $2.5M a year....which is now roughly a third of what new Seahawks' coach Pete Carroll will be making next year.

The Bidwills are going to have their hands full this off-season...and it will be interesting to see what kind of a financial commitment they make this year to the present and future of the team.

Arizona Cardinals' 2009 Season Awards (per Mitch):

Team and Offensive MVP: Kurt Warner

Offensive Rookie of the Year: Beanie Wells

Most Improved Player on Offense: C Lyle Sendlein (with honorable mention to WR Early Doucet)

Most Unsung Offensive Player Award: Reggie Wells

Offensive Leadership Award: Larry Fitzgerald

Defensive MVP: Darnell Dockett

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Will Davis and Greg Toler

Most Improved Player on Defense: Calais Campbell (with honrable mention to Antrel Rolle)

Most Unsung Defensive Player Award: Clark Haggans

Defensive Leadership Award: Adrian Wilson

Special Teams MVP: Ben Graham

Special Teams Rookie of the Year: LaRod Stephens-Howling

Most Improved Player on Special Teams: Reggie Walker

Most Unsung Special Teams Player Award: Michael Adams

Special Teams Leadership Award: Neil Rackers

Pro Bowl Cardinals: WR Larry Fitzgerald, DT Darnell Dockett, CB Dominique Rodgers Cromartie, SS Adrian Wilson.

Last edited:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Great post Walter. I really hope the Cardinals front office goes after some defensive players in the draft and free agency. Also we need a new Left Tackle. I would love to see us steal Vernon Davis away from Frisco this year to. There are alot of big name free agents out there if we can steal away a few we could really shore up this team's weaknesses.

I agree that we need to find another CB badly. Greg Toler looks like he will turn out to be a keeper. How long will it take him to become a number two CB, that is the question. I think he is still two years away. McFadden should be the number three corner at best with the way he has played. With Dansby most likely gone we will need to bring in two new linebackers. Last I looked Demeco Ryans is a free agent this year. I figure the Cards will probably use the first or second round draft pick on a linebacker as well.

The Jets have both D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold as free agents this year. Either one would be a huge pick up for our line. Anybody that you have your eye on this year that you would like to see us pick up.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Well done Mitch

The thing that stuck out to me most on both sides of the ball yesterday was how much faster the Saints were. Along with the obvious defensive deficiencies, this team must get faster!!!

This draft needs to add at least 6 defensive players, 3-4 LB'ers & at least 2 DB's.

PAckAttack99

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Awwwww......poor cheaters.......

What's the matter poor Cardinals fans? The redbird losers couldn't cheat enough to win two games in a row??? Couldn't facemask the QB to get a free TD??? Couldn't run over the defensive secondary to just waltz into the endzone??? Kind of tough to win when you can't cheat your asses off, huh???

Buckybird

Reaction score
What's the matter poor Cardinals fans? The redbird losers couldn't cheat enough to win two games in a row??? Couldn't facemask the QB to get a free TD??? Couldn't run over the defensive secondary to just waltz into the endzone??? Kind of tough to win when you can't cheat your asses off, huh???

haven't you ever heard the old saying? Cheaters don't always win...ask the Stealers.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What a dork. Get over it loser. You lost. Keep your whining confined to your board and quit polluting our board with your sniveling.

Rooster7

Rookie
Reaction score

See Cards fans, what Vikings fans have to put up with? This is how Puker fans are. They always have excuses as to why their team lost.

I'm just surprised this one is still sober enough to type!

By the way, I was hoping the Cards would have won. I would like to see my 1st and 2nd favorite team play for the NFCC.

PAckAttack99

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wow, what a cheeky and clever response, referring to alcohol! How clever! By the way, I notice you didn't say anything about the fact the cards had to cheat their asses off to win...

Last edited:

Rooster7

Rookie
Reaction score
Wow, what a cheeky and clever response, referring to alcohol! How clever! By the way, I notice you didn't say anything about the fact the cards had to cheat their asses off to win...

Whatever LOSER. Go suck on your mommys 80 proof breast milk.

Reaction score
:ban: No reason to wait; ban this fool now!

mrbyte

Be careful what you wish for.
Reaction score

yes, yes I can feel the anger within you let it out use the hate....then go away you lost deal with it.

Dimicron

Rookie
Reaction score

Are you claiming that you can't score more than 45 points without cheating? If so, the Packers scored 45... seems you may wish to look in a mirror before casting stones.

Football, it's a game. Accept it, move on. You'll live longer, and happier!

Cheers!

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
Back to Mitch's excellent post after the distraction, it was interesting to see something the Vikings defense had today that the Cardinals have not had lately. INTENSITY.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Back to Mitch's excellent post after the distraction, it was interesting to see something the Vikings defense had today that the Cardinals have not had lately. INTENSITY.

didn't they also have something we dont? a pass rush from the edge

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
If Warner retires, expect the Cardinals, after this defensive meltdown, to be picked 3rd in the NFC West next season behind the 49ers and Seahawks.
Kind of like before this season...

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch-----I would like for Whiz to see about a new DC and DB coach(s) too. I feel VERY strongly about returning John Lott, and wouldn't mind if they spent 5 of the draft picks on defense this off season.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I agree if Warner retires that everyone will pick SF to overtake the Cards and base it solely on the Cards QB situation(Leinart) while disregarding the putrid QB situation that exists in SF. Like i said in another thread, ML could easily step in and be the best QB in the division next year. I don't think many will pick Seattle in front of the Cards as i look for them to go into full re-build mode.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mitch, I usually find very little to fault in your prognosis that you write. This time I vociferously take exception of your annointment of Lyle Sendlien. He straight up cost the Cardinals at the very least 1 game, San Francisco, by telegraphing the snap. I watched most of the game Saturday and saw that he was back to tipping the snap count again. This is one link in the chain that must absolutely be fixed or traded, but not honored.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
While the offense was able to maintain their physical strength throughout the duration of 18 games, the defense was not. The defense checked out, for all intents and purposes, in Week 16.

The defense started to wear down around week 7 actually. Just look at the rushing totals for our opponents after the Giants game. 270,164,123,163,189,161 and 171. We didn't see anything like that last year other than the Vikings game.

I just think that the 26 week season in 2008/9 (4 preseason,17weeks regular season and 5 weeks of playoffs) really took its toll on our older defense.

One of the reasons imo it is so hard to get back to the SB is that it takes veteran players to win but then the long seasons wear harder on those older guys.

Because of that the team really deserves a lot of credit for breaking the Super Bowl loser jinx and not only getting back to the postseason but advancing to the second round.