Golden state @ Dallas

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
GS players need to take anger management classes along with Crawford...

They looked very much an eighth seeded team in game 2, out of sync... I hope that was an anomaly and they will bounce back in games 3 and 4 at home. We need them to knock Mavs out :).

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Nelson will fine Jackson, Davis for actions in Game 1

Associated Press

http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=...anner_id=espngeneric011920070bgen5146x0462500

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Though the Bay Area is abuzz with excitement for the Golden State Warriors' first home playoff game in 13 years, the Warriors are getting a few remedial lessons in keeping their cool.

Warriors coach Don Nelson said Thursday he will fine Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson for being ejected from Golden State's 112-99 loss in Game 2 of the club's first-round playoff series against the Dallas Mavericks.

Davis and Jackson put on a taunting, preening display that dampened an otherwise successful trip for the eighth-seeded Warriors, who stole Game 1 from the heavily favored Mavs and headed back to the West Coast with homecourt advantage in the series, starting with Game 3 on Friday night.

"It doesn't make any sense to me, as hard as we worked to get to the playoffs, to all of a sudden get there and not be able to play because of ejections and not controlling our emotions," Nelson said before a brief workout at the Warriors' downtown training complex.
"I want to play with passion. I want to play with emotions, (but) have respect for authority out there. The referees are the authority, and just like when I make a decision, I expect the respect to be there for me. ... Things don't always go your way, and you've got to control your emotions."

The NBA hasn't announced any potential discipline against Davis, who apparently was thrown out for sarcastically applauding the officials late in the third quarter, or Jackson, who left the court in a contentious, roundabout manner after getting his second technical foul in the final minutes.

But on what should have been a celebratory day before hoops-crazy Oakland's first taste of the postseason since 1994, Davis and Jackson spent the day avoiding direct comment on a dressing-down from their veteran coach. Nelson didn't announce the amount of his fines, only saying, "it will be substantial."

Neither player betrayed any particular anger about the fines -- perhaps a testament to Nelson's control of the club in his first season back in town. The Warriors spoke mostly about improving their defense and harnessing the energy of their sellout crowd Friday night after splitting the first two games.

"That's in the past," said Davis, who had just 13 points Wednesday night after scoring 33 in the series opener. "I'm not even going to talk about that, not even a little bit. It doesn't have even a little relevance."

Davis kept clapping for the officials while standing at the bench, even when Nelson asked him to stop. Davis defended his clapping a bit, saying, "I was stopping."

Jackson still could face a suspension for the very definition of failing to leave the court in a timely manner. He took time to shout at officials and spar with fans on the long walk back to the locker room, but the swingman was cool again Thursday.

"I love basketball," Jackson said. "I'm going to continue to play with a lot of emotion. Obviously, I've got to police myself. It's obvious, and I will continue to do that, but my passion for the game will never change."

The Mavericks already learned last year about remaining calm in the playoff cauldron. Their path to the NBA finals was littered with misbehavior -- Jason Terry's one-game suspension for punching San Antonio's Michael Finley below the belt; D.J. Mbenga's five-game suspension for going into the stands; Jerry Stackhouse's one-game ban in the NBA finals for a hard foul on Shaquille O'Neal.
"Guys can get suspended, so we kept our cool (in Game 2)," Dallas forward Josh Howard said. "That's something that comes with experience."

But that cool didn't slow down a series that's become more competitive and exciting than most 1-8 matchups in an average year. Dallas' win in Game 2 snapped Golden State's six-game winning streak against the NBA's best regular-season team -- and it might have awakened the Mavs' competitive spirit as well after they were outfoxed by Nelson and Davis in the opener.

"Those guys have got pride, a lot of pride," said Al Harrington, who hasn't made much of an impact for the Warriors. "They didn't have the best record for nothing. It was getting a little heated (in Game 2). Guys were talking trash, which they didn't in the first game."
Coach Avery Johnson missed the Mavericks' workout in Dallas while tending to a family emergency in Houston, but was expected to join the game for the flight to California. Johnson was the starting point guard for the Warriors' last playoff team under Nelson in 1994.

"You have to realize once things don't go in your favor, you have to let it go and focus on the next play, the next assignment, the next task," said Devean George, who has three championships rings from his days with the Lakers.

"You can't get caught up into what didn't go in your favor before. I think experienced players allow things to just happen and then move on."

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Great article by Stien... if the Mavs lose game 3, just watch them fold in 4 also...

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

They got the victory they needed to avoid full-fledged and fully justified panic.

They got the Golden State Warriors rattled, too, albeit with considerable assistance from the Warriors.

They also got some offense from other sources, with Dirk Nowitzki still drawing all the attention from Golden State's defense.

However . . .

You can't call Wednesday night's Game 2 win, which didn't look comfortable until Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson talked their way into unpardonable ejections, more than a small step for the guys from Big D.

"We kinda looked like the Mavericks tonight," Avery Johnson told the media masses after a 112-99 triumph evened this 1 vs. 8 doozy at 1-1 entering Friday's Game 3 in Oakland.

Right.

Kinda.

You have to figure that much of the follow-up chatter after this one will focus on the Warriors' second-half loss of composure, which -- you also have to figure -- is tied to frustration stemming from Dallas going to the free-throw line 43 times.

But I'm not going to get too hung up on it, since none of Wednesday's scenes will surprise veteran Warrior Watchers. Davis believing his first technical foul was unjust and sarcastically clapping at the referees until he got tossed? Jackson getting his own two Ts and then stupidly putting himself at risk for suspension by refusing, as they say, to leave the court in a timely manner? You just saw, in a span of two games, pretty much everything good and bad about this extremely dangerous No. 8 seed: Copious amounts of athleticism, fearlessness and confidence at the disposal of a highly creative coach, all of which is offset by a wild streak in their behavior and basketball decision-making that can make the Warriors a danger to themselves.

Yet we repeat: The scenes you just saw are somewhat expected from the volatile, young Warriors. I'm drawn more to the mystery that is the Mavs' collective mood, specifically how skittish they continue to look, as if they're somehow starting over confidence-wise after completing one of the most extraordinary regular seasons on record.

Even during their highest highs last season -- like winning a Game 7 in San Antonio or taking a 2-0 lead in the NBA Finals -- you could sense that the Mavs themselves, new to that sort of success, didn't always believe what they were accomplishing. Not so this season. These Mavs have carried themselves for months as though they really believe that they're the league's best team. It's been one of the standout aspects of their 67-15 response to unraveling in the Finals.

Then this series began.

Nowitzki, not surprisingly, is taking the brunt of the criticism, even though I'd argue that he played Game 2 in an encouraging manner, trying to bring his teammates into the game with Don Nelson intent on keeping Nowitzki swarmed. The MVP-to-be slowly built up to a 23-point outing, with 10 points in the pivotal third quarter.

He was still timid at times, undoubtedly shaken by his 4-for-16 nightmare from the field in Game 1, but Nowitzki is a 7-footer who can't just go into Kobe Mode, dribbling past halfcourt and straight into shot opportunities. He's going to need help getting the ball in good spots if the opposing coach -- who knows his weaknesses as well as anyone -- has his defenders fronting Dirk on almost every possession and mixing up the timing of the double-team help.

For all the improvements they've made with their defense and shot selection, this has been true about the Mavs since Steve Nash left: Teams with good defensive schemes that make the Mavs operate in the halfcourt can have success, because Dallas doesn't have the playmakers or traditional low-post scorers who can create easy shot opportunities for Nowitzki. The Mavs' offense is filled with isolation plays and Nelson's Warriors, with their interchangeable range of same-sized defenders, contest them well.

So it remains incumbent on Josh Howard, Jason Terry and Jerry Stackhouse to capitalize on Nellie's Dirk obsession. The Mavs' four best players combined on this night to total 90 points -- after managing just 52 in Game 1 on 18-for-57 shooting. Still this fact remains true: Dallas didn't seize any semblance of control until Davis' ejection. That's true even on a night when the guard's game lacked bite . . . and with the Warriors racking up 24 turnovers compared to nine assists . . . and with Monta Ellis seeing very little of the ball after his scorching start.

"I know they're mentally and physically tougher and they're more experienced [than last season], but what does that mean?" Johnson wondered aloud before the playoffs began.

"It means something if you can use it to your advantage."

So far? The Mavs haven't. Nowitzki acknowledged in his postgame address that the Warriors, in spite of their second-half unraveling, are "still in the drivers' seats."
That's because it was the experienced Mavs who inexplicably looked like jittery playoff rookies in Game 1. It's also because they'll be greeted in Oaktown by a rabid crowd that's been waiting 13 years for a playoff game, in a building that Golden State went 30-11 in. Winning one or two there will require the Mavs to be their 67-win selves by then, as opposed to kinda resembling them.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
there are too many funny posts to respond to on this thread.......with all of the conspiring going on in the nba and all. where were the refs in game 1? maybe dallas played so horrible in that game that the refs couldn't even get them in the game lol. dallas hasn't played well in this series so far, except maybe that second half last night. I don't know what happened in game 1. Either way if the mavs play like they should this series could be over in 5 like the smartest suns fan said on TNT last night. If the warriors can play as well as they chirp(jackson and davis in paticular)...maybe they stretch the series to 6.

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Why Terry for Dallas' MVP? I'd give it to Josh Howard, hands down. He's the one that completely excised Baron Davis from the game - plus he scored 22 on good shooting and pulled down 11 rebounds. He even got 1 more assist than Terry.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Why Terry for Dallas' MVP? I'd give it to Josh Howard, hands down. He's the one that completely excised Baron Davis from the game - plus he scored 22 on good shooting and pulled down 11 rebounds. He even got 1 more assist than Terry.
if you look at the last game.....yeah howard was definitely the player that made the difference for the mavs at both ends. My favorite part of the game was when jackson said, "who's gonna guard me"? and it seemed like the next time down the court howard stripped him and the mavs got an easy 2. However......dirk is still the man. The mavs outside shooting was still poor in last nights game. If the warriors continue to stay obsessed with doubling dirk.......the mavs are going to start making them pay eventually from the outside. However, it's better to see them attack the paint against this team. especially stackhouse and terry...you already know that's what josh does.

Last edited:

TheFallen49

Veteran
Reaction score
this one's a joke, right? I don't blame the refs for the GS loss, but to say Dirk was efficient, scoring below his season average on below 50% shooting, with only 7 boards and 0 assists against a team of midgets is pretty ridiculous. the guy seems REALLY tight right now. Howard looks like the best player on the team right now.

He got to the line 11 times, a vast improvement over Game 1... he's slowly becoming the real Dirk, i'm not concerned about it at all because he'll be good to go when we get to the WCF (yes I said WHEN). 7-15 (I believe) shooting isn't terrible by any means.

The Mavericks have figured out how to beat the Warriors:

a) Attack the basket and you are pretty much guaranteed someone will swipe at you or try and take a charge (which they aren't really good at getting in position quick enough). You guys are familiar with all the talk of how the Suns don't play defense? Well the same goes for the Warriors only they are like ten times worse, I think the Suns defense myth is exactly what the real Warriors defense is...

or

b) Talk some trash and get their tempers going, they have too many hot heads on that team not to take advanatge of, this is a real suggestion... any advantage should be taken. Dirk should do his sasquatch swagger thing and stick out his tongue when he makes shots, Terry should puff his jersey out, Josh should bob his head back and forth etc, it will be too much for Davis and Jackson to handle.

They don't even need to play well in any other aspect if they do those two things right. It has been a fun series to watch, i'm just grateful for game 2 adjustments... I don't think Nellie can counter (but their fans will be going crazy since they haven't had a playoff series in about 14 years).

Lorenzo

Reaction score
He got to the line 11 times, a vast improvement over Game 1... he's slowly becoming the real Dirk, i'm not concerned about it at all because he'll be good to go when we get to the WCF (yes I said WHEN). 7-15 (I believe) shooting isn't terrible by any means.

The Mavericks have figured out how to beat the Warriors:

a) Attack the basket and you are pretty much guaranteed someone will swipe at you or try and take a charge (which they aren't really good at getting in position quick enough). You guys are familiar with all the talk of how the Suns don't play defense? Well the same goes for the Warriors only they are like ten times worse, I think the Suns defense myth is exactly what the real Warriors defense is...

or

b) Talk some trash and get their tempers going, they have too many hot heads on that team not to take advanatge of, this is a real suggestion... any advantage should be taken. Dirk should do his sasquatch swagger thing and stick out his tongue when he makes shots, Terry should puff his jersey out, Josh should bob his head back and forth etc, it will be too much for Davis and Jackson to handle.

They don't even need to play well in any other aspect if they do those two things right. It has been a fun series to watch, i'm just grateful for game 2 adjustments... I don't think Nellie can counter (but their fans will be going crazy since they haven't had a playoff series in about 14 years).
I think the mavs need to continue to play with their normal lineups. In game 1 for some reason avery didn't play damp, diop, buckner, ect. as much as he typically does. The mavs just need to do what they do. They don't have one paticular style that they play. They are at their best when they play mavs b-ball. They aren't the best at any one aspect of the game, but when it comes to combining everything together......they are good in most aspects.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you look at the last game.....yeah howard was definitely the player that made the difference for the mavs at both ends. My favorite part of the game was when jackson said, "who's gonna guard me"? and it seemed like the next time down the court howard stripped him and the mavs got an easy 2. However......dirk is still the man. The mavs outside shooting was still poor in last nights game. If the warriors continue to stay obsessed with doubling dirk.......the mavs are going to start making them pay eventually from the outside. However, it's better to see them attack the paint against this team. especially stackhouse and terry...you already know that's what josh does.

to be fair he was yelling who can guard me not who's going to, because he'd just torched someone.

But I have to admit as hot as he was he driving me nuts with all the turnovers. They said officially 7, I'd have guessed at least 11 it seemed like he either scored, or turned it over everytime he got the ball.

Warrior fans are still waiting for an Al Harrington sighting.

Should be a good game to watch on tv. Warriors fans will all be wearing gold "we believe" thshirts. The SJ Mercury news today has a cutout "baron davis beard" in it so you can stick it on your face and look like Baron.

Have yet to see any suggestion that Jackson will be suspended so I guess the Warriors got lucky there.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
Have yet to see any suggestion that Jackson will be suspended so I guess the Warriors got lucky there.

NBA fined him $50,000. Nellie said the team will fine both of them as well, but that's still better than a suspension right now.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Mark it down. Dallas will lose this series 4-2.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I just Want Golden State to take them to at least 6 games. But by the looks of it - it could be 7 games. WOW.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Warriors are committing way too many turnovers, and just like that the mavs are back in this game.

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
Actually the Warriors have 6 turnovers and the Mavs have 8 at the half.

The Mavs are shooting 37% and the Wariors are shooting 53.2&.

Three point shooting is Mavs 22.2% and Warriors 30%.

GO WARRIORS!!

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How many #8 seeds have beaten #1 seeds in the past? Denver was the 1st team to do it in 1994 over Seattle and I think it might've happened in 2000 with the Knicks beating the Heat, but I'm not sure.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually the Warriors have 6 turnovers and the Mavs have 8 at the half.

The Mavs are shooting 37% and the Wariors are shooting 53.2&.

Three point shooting is Mavs 22.2% and Warriors 30%.

GO WARRIORS!!

Only six? It felt like a lot more when Dallas made their push to close the gap to nine.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Great execution and hustle by the Warriors. They still take some bad shots, but they are controlling the tempo tonight.

Mavs losing their composure with 2 techs.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Avery Johnson is out to prove he never deserved the coach of the year award!

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Dirk just missed two Free Throws... i can't believe he is going to win the MVP award... incredible.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless something drastically changes in this game, it looks like we wont have to hear from Trollsborohill for a few days. He must be crapping his pants.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
ain't that the truth about Greensborohill... so funny how he only comes around after a Dallas win or Suns loss. You could check the previous night's scoreboard just by coming here and seeing him present or absent.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05