Good News Red Stripe! Looks like purple is OUT next season...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Obviously they're making the change to generate revenue.

That being said, I like it . . . and using the "D" in the shape of a rattlesnake more and the "A" less. It's distinctive.

The red (as in Sedona's red rocks) is a pleasing version.

Attachments

• DBacksSedonaRed.jpg
    DBacksSedonaRed.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
Since Im the only sensible person in this thread, Ill just reiterate how stupid this is from a branding stand point. I was just talking to my girlfriend (who works in PR), and you just dont go changing your corporate image after 8 (mostly) successful years. The Yankees and StL Cardinals logos didnt become classics over night, you need to pick something and stick with it.

I also don't like the focusing on the "D" logo because it seems to diminish the importance of the location. For instance the Braves, Yankees, Mets and Cardinals all have their logo initials on the place they are from, not the teams name. Its silly, but for whatever reason I like that a lot better.

And ArizonasFinest, Im a Az Cardinals fan too, but lets be honest, their name doesn't exactly represent the Phoenix desert.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
This is a geat day, Purple and teal is the absolute worst looking color combo in all of sports. I've hated the Dbacks unis ever since they were unveiled, this is a long overdue change.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
"Also, for the sake of continuity, the team's "A" logo is not expected to change much, though, the secondary "D" logo will receive an update and be more modern looking. It's not known for sure which logo will appear on the team's hats or what color the hats will be. Currently the team wears purple caps with the "A" logo at home and black caps with the "D" logo on the road."

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com...t_id=1640230&vkey=news_ari&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari

Ugh, please say they're changing the "A". I've never been a fan of it.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I love the D....I didn't mind the logos and color but I like red better, and I LOVE the black unis too. I hope they don't change the pinstripes. For some reason I really like them. Whatever they do I think switching from purple was a good move. I can see them selling more merchandise this way and hopefully using the money to land us a stud pitcher and a power hitter.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I'm with you Hoover. I'd dump the teal and go purple, black, white. And it is a bad move from brand perspective. The DBacks will always be Game 7, 2001, to me, and that was PURPLE.

Am I supposed to get all new brick red drinking glasses? Repaint the wall at the end of my hall Brick Red? Get rid of all the amethyst earrings?

Stupid. It's all about making people buy a whole new set of team gear.

Brick red and tan is totally uninspired, drab and unappealing. Sounds like hot dog and ketchup. You guys really like the Padres 'sand' unis?

I'm miffed. First Clarabell gets a two year extension, then Rizzo leaves, and now this -- what's next -- sign Gonzo to an extension?

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree about the New York and St. Louis logos. I've always been a fan of the state logo instead of the brand logo. Now, I am not artist or graphics design dude (as can clearly be seen). But way back when we first got the team and they revealed the "A" logo I didn't like it. So, this is the idea I came up with way back when. Obviously, not pretty or professional but it's the idea of incorporating the state logo and diamondbacks that I liked.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This is just a weak decision made to try and make a few quick bucks.

Weak!

I'm not buying any of that red crap.

Ryan313

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

It will never be the same.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbdown

I never did like the teal, but I definitely liked the purple.

KEEP THE PURPLE!!!!!!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
thirty-two said:

KEEP THE PURPLE!!!!!!

I hate the teal and I hate the purple. If we did a poll I bet the majority of the guys will say they like the switch while more women will want the colors to stay.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
thirty-two said:

KEEP THE PURPLE!!!!!!
I like the current logo/colors/unis. I mean hell we won a world series in them and its only been 9 years. There is no reason to change them other than to make some money and to distance themselves from Jerry Colangelo. I think thats the big thing the ownership group wants this to be viewed as "their team" and I'm sure they feel that with the young guns coming up that its their time. Don't be surprised if next years slogan is "A new beginning' because of the logo/unis and the young guns coming up.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the logo they used to use for that rewards program thingy a few years back? They still have something like it, but the old logo was neat (a bit too fancy for a general team logo, but cool looking none the less). If I recall correctly it had a baseball and a snake that sort of looked firey or something.

I hope someone can make sense out of that paragraph.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Does anyone remember the logo they used to use for that rewards program thingy a few years back? They still have something like it, but the old logo was neat (a bit too fancy for a general team logo, but cool looking none the less). If I recall correctly it had a baseball and a snake that sort of looked firey or something.

I hope someone can make sense out of that paragraph.
Are you thinking of the logo from the DiamondBackers program?

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Espo said:
I like the current logo/colors/unis. I mean hell we won a world series in them and its only been 9 years. There is no reason to change them other than to make some money and to distance themselves from Jerry Colangelo. I think thats the big thing the ownership group wants this to be viewed as "their team" and I'm sure they feel that with the young guns coming up that its their time. Don't be surprised if next years slogan is "A new beginning' because of the logo/unis and the young guns coming up.

I'm with you on this. I think this is crap and to be honest it pisses me off. Change your colors after 8 years? What a joke

AZZenny

Reaction score
These colors are going to age real fast -- like Astros, in a few years these will be like all-avocado appliances in the kitchen, believe me.

Royal Purple, Black, and Ivory or White. That's all.

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
Well, if you're worried about ripping off another team's color-scheme, then it seems we'll be heading straight for the awful Colorado Rockies if we go purple, black, and white/ivory. Doesn't matter though, cause purple is out. Here's hoping that sand/gold is more dominant in the new uni.

HooverDam

Reaction score
BC867 said:
That's unnecessary, HooverDam.

Sorry was trying to be sarcastic, but tone is tough to detect in text.

Anyway, at least our new colors will fit in with the "Southwest Mediocre" style of so much of the new buildings in the valley. Sand stucco houses with tile red roofs, bleck.

EDIT: BC867, I LOVE the southwest, please don't misconstrue what I'm saying. I love the mountains and the desert and many of the buildings. But not the vast sprawling sea of stucco cookie cutter houses with tile roofs, I find those heinous (I've lived in them most of my life, so perhaps Im just sick of it).

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Sorry was trying to be sarcastic, but tone is tough to detect in text.

Anyway, at least our new colors will fit in with the "Southwest Mediocre" style of so much of the new buildings in the valley. Sand stucco houses with tile red roofs, bleck.
Thanks for acknowledging!

Y'know, ever since I drove from the East Coast to settle in Phoenix 28 years ago, I've loved the Southwest style -- it's mountains, its buildings, etc.

To each his own. :)

AZZenny

Reaction score
I'm with Hoover. Besides, the colors of Arizona are Palo-verde and cactus green and Agave/jojoba blue-gray, blue sky, tans, golds, and reds, and yes, in the Grand Canyon, purples, too.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
sly fly said:
Love the move.

The current color scheme is horrid. Except if you're into that kind of stuff. Half the gear looks like it was purchased off the clearance rack at Wal-Mart.

Hopefully, the new uni's will be simple. Get rid of the "artistic" designs and go traditional.

I'm with you sly. Teal and purple are lame. The best uniforms in every sports are the simple and understated ones. No flash or graphics. Give me a simple A or AZ with a basic collor and I'll be happy.

Teal and Purple does not sell. I'd be willing to guess that the D'backs have one of the worst selling jersey's and merch. Every expansion team in the 90's had teal, puple, or some sort of combo of them. Finally we can ditch those girly colors.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard some speculation on another board that the D'backs might use the "A" from the "Arizona" on their away jersey for the primary cap logo.

Will someone with some photoshop skills please hook up a sample of that "A" in tan and red? Much obliged. I believe that logo would be sharp.