Gortat Traded to Wizards

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I agree, they are loaded for dealing but if/when they finally flip these loads of picks I think they will be swinging for the fences. And while I think Faried is a solid player he is a guy I'd like to add to the team AFTER they land their star.
With 4 #1 draft picks next year, if this means that we might be able to add a star via a trade to go with our role playing Centers, we wouldn't have to hope for our team to tank. That is a plus!

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can someone breakdown the other 2 picks we have next year? Besides ours and the wiz?

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
If he's a possibility to play during the season, the Suns training staff will work him. If he's a lame duck with no possibility of playing, they might just buy out his contract.

No matter, we have Plumlee as our new starter with Len and Kravtsov off the bench as our 5's, maybe even play Plumlee and Len at 4 and 5 some.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Does anyone truly think we have a chance at getting the Wizards pick? Seems to me that hoping the Wiz aren't one of the 12 worst teams in the league is a tall order.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I thought it said questionable to start the season, not questionable for the season.

Right, but if you read further down, it says Okafor "is confident he can return at some point this season." And given the history of this player -- who once missed an entire season with an ankle sprain -- that means he's questionable. At best.

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
If he's a possibility to play during the season, the Suns training staff will work him. If he's a lame duck with no possibility of playing, they might just buy out his contract.

No matter, we have Plumlee as our new starter with Len and Kravtsov off the bench as our 5's, maybe even play Plumlee and Len at 4 and 5 some.

Damn this team is going to be terrible.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Does anyone truly think we have a chance at getting the Wizards pick? Seems to me that hoping the Wiz aren't one of the 12 worst teams in the league is a tall order.

Adding Gortat helps them. They have a fair amount of talent.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can someone breakdown the other 2 picks we have next year? Besides ours and the wiz?

Our pick
Wiz top 12 protected
Minny top 13 protected
Indiana... not sure what the protections are but I dont think they will come into play. Indy seems like a lock to win 50+, pick will probably be 22nd-28th.

I think its extremely likely we get the Wiz pick in 2014. They were a .500 team for the 2nd half of last year once they got healthy and I like what they've done this summer.

Minny... who knows. Healthy thats a solid roster but they never seem healthy.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dont forget, we also own the 2015 Laker pick... which I think is virtually unprotected.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our pick
Wiz top 12 protected
Minny top 13 protected
Indiana... not sure what the protections are but I dont think they will come into play. Indy seems like a lock to win 50+, pick will probably be 22nd-28th.

I think its extremely likely we get the Wiz pick in 2014. They were a .500 team for the 2nd half of last year once they got healthy and I like what they've done this summer.

Minny... who knows. Healthy thats a solid roster but they never seem healthy.

The Suns should still get a first round draft pick from the Wizards even if it is not in 2014, so I like.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Love love love it. We FINALLY HAVE A PLAN!!!

Not only does this open up minutes for Len/Goodwin/Plumlee/Bledsoe, but it pretty much guarantees we'll get a top 3 pick with potential superstars.

In addition, we could have another 3 (3!) decent picks in a great draft to use as trade bait, to get more young players in a potentially historically good draft.

Finally, the cherry on top, Okafor could definitely be traded for something of value.

In McD I trust!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those who want Len thrown into the fire early should like this trade too. I guess Plumlee is the starting center now?

Good lord this team is going to be horrific. Worst front court/forward rotation I have ever seen in my time watching NBA ball.

I love it.

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Those who want Len thrown into the fire early should like this trade too. I guess Plumlee is the starting center now?

Good lord this team is going to be horrific. Worst front court/forward rotation I have ever seen in my time watching NBA ball.

I love it.

You must be registered for see images

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love love love it. We FINALLY HAVE A PLAN!!!

Not only does this open up minutes for Len/Goodwin/Plumlee/Bledsoe, but it pretty much guarantees we'll get a top 3 pick with potential superstars.

In addition, we could have another 3 (3!) decent picks in a great draft to use as trade bait, to get more young players in a potentially historically good draft.

Finally, the cherry on top, Okafor could definitely be traded for something of value.

In McD I trust!

Maybe if he is healthy before the trade deadline.

Even if Okafor cannot play and is only an expiring contract, it works for me.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Adding Gortat helps them. They have a fair amount of talent.

Yeah, when they had Wall back they were a decent team, and ESPN had them 7 in the East before this trade. Will be very exciting rooting for the Wiz/TWolves to make the playoffs this year.

Anyone else really happy about this? Finally feel like we have a plan.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we know for sure if Lee is included in this trade?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Okafor could definitely be traded for something of value.

Not a chance. He makes $14.5 million this season, can't stay healthy, and isn't an impact player even when he's capable of taking the floor. He has massive negative trade value.

Other than that, however, I agree with you.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Yeah, I think it's going to be gruesome. We're going to wind up seeing one of the Morris twins at center for 15 minutes a game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per Marc Stein: https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine

Edit: Gambo says it's a 2014 1st round pick, top 12 protection. Then top 10 protected for the next 6 years.

top ten protected for the next 6 years? that doesn't seem like too great of a pick.

edit: I take this back...even if we don't get this next draft, the Wiz do have a decent amount of talent and could sneak into the playoffs by 2015 which would then give us 3 first rounders in 2015 after hopefully having 3 first rounders in the 2014 draft.

and it helps us be absolutely AWFUL this year, which is what we desperately need to be to get an impact maker in next year's draft bonanza.

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
top ten protected for the next 6 years? that doesn't seem like too great of a pick.

I think we'll get it next year. I'm pretty sure they make the playoffs in the East with Gortat assuming they stay relatively healthy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake