Gortat Traded to Wizards

Errntknght

Reaction score
Okay, now I agree we are going to contend with Philly for the most ping pong balls. And if we don't it will have to be because our new players are contributing more than we had any reason to hope for - I'm happy with that.

Washington's pick is almost certain to be outside the top 12. Okafor, healthy, is a bit better than Gortat, but not by a large margin. Eric Maynor is a better backup PG than AJ Price and Beal has looked like he's breaking out after a so-so season. On top of that they have two young PF's who were okay last year, in limited minutes, and are looking better in the pre-season - Trevor Booker and Jan Vesely. Between them they could squeeze Seraphin our of the rotation - a good thing given his performance last year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is part of an article from Marc Stein at ESPN dated 10-25-13. He speculates the Suns might trade Dragic and the Wizards will waive Marshall, Brown and Lee. If all three are waived it makes a statement and not in a good way.

The Suns are in talks with Bledsoe -- their big July acquisition -- on a contract extension before next week's Halloween deadline that is expected to establish the guard as one of the team's new cornerstones. There is a growing expectation in the league that McDonough will ultimately look to move well-regarded point guard Dragic in a Gortat-style deal for more assets.

The Wizards will waive Marshall, Brown and Lee to cut their roster down to the league-maximum 15 players in time for opening night, sources told ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9...colm-lee-washington-wizards-emeka-okafor-pick

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm all for a full rebuild, but Dragic shouldn't be given away. Until Bledsoe proves himself, Dragic is still the best player on the roster, he's entering the prime of his career, and he's locked into a reasonable contract until 2015 (or 2016, if he takes his option). I wouldn't count on a better player than Dragic falling into the Suns' laps, no matter how many draft picks they have. He's not a star, but he's capable, and he has real value.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm all for a full rebuild, but Dragic shouldn't be given away. Until Bledsoe proves himself, Dragic is still the best player on the roster, he's entering the prime of his career, and he's locked into a reasonable contract until 2015 (or 2016, if he takes his option). I wouldn't count on a better player than Dragic falling into the Suns' laps, no matter how many draft picks they have. He's not a star, but he's capable, and he has real value.

I agree. IMO, I think Stein believes McDonough likes Bledsoe as the Suns point guard, though unproven. I think Dragic has more value than Gortat and if traded, he would be part of a package for a star level player. If Bledsoe does play well as a PG, I don't think Dragic would be happy as a backup although playing two PGs in the starting lineup may still work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Yeah. I would be completely against trading him unless you get a really good deal.

And I'll admit that I'd feel bad for the guy. Starting your career in Phoenix, getting traded, agreeing to come back "home" (as he said), only to get traded again!

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Totally agree!

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Current Roster

1.Dragic
2. Bledsoe
3. Goodwin
4. Green
5. Tucker
6. Marcus Morris
7. Keef Morris
8. Frye
9. Plumlee
10. Slava
11. Len
12. Smith
13. Christmas
14. Okafor

Cool with everyone on this team except for the Morris Twins but they'll help us lose this year.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
ESPN's insider trade grades give the Wizards a B- and the Suns an A. It's not often you see a good grade with the reason given that it makes the team worse.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/TradeGrades-131025/trade-grades-wizards-get-gortat

The deal also conveniently makes Phoenix a weaker team....
SCHOENE now projects the Suns winning just 17.2 games, the league's lowest mark. In practice, the Philadelphia 76ers still lead the race to the bottom of the standings, but Phoenix isn't far behind. If the No. 1 overall pick is one of the four they will make next June, the Suns' rebuilding process may not be far from starting to turn around.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN's insider trade grades give the Wizards a B- and the Suns an A. It's not often you see a good grade with the reason given that it makes the team worse.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/TradeGrades-131025/trade-grades-wizards-get-gortat

I don't think Gortat would have helped the Suns current cast much anyway this season. He needs to be re-energized with a new team and a chance to go to the playoffs. I think it's a win-win for both teams. The Suns may may be bad team, but they appear to be a bad team going somewhere.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm giddy.

McD is the best front office move for the Suns in a long time. He's got vision and the balls to do what many hardcore Suns fans have been screaming for the past few summers. He's making being a Suns fan fun again.

This team is going to be awful and at just the right time. Never been this happy to have my favorite team suck this bad. So far I've loved every move save for drafting Len @ 5, but time will tell.

Can't wait for the season to start and the loses to flow! Go Suns (front office)!

:billthecat:

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow! This just made my weekend better. McD showing that he's not the type to wait for things to just happen

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm giddy.

McD is the best front office move for the Suns in a long time. He's got vision and the balls to do what many hardcore Suns fans have been screaming for the past few summers. He's making being a Suns fan fun again.

This team is going to be awful and at just the right time. Never been this happy to have my favorite team suck this bad. So far I've loved every move save for drafting Len @ 5, but time will tell.

Can't wait for the season to start and the loses to flow! Go Suns (front office)!

:billthecat:

yeah...I gotta agree. the man's been a tazmanian devil making moves. this team desperately needed a tear/asset grab for the future and he's doing exactly what I've wanted the team to do for years.

excited to watch Bledsoe/Len and see us rack up as many ping pong balls as possible. they've got a long way to get to the top of the mountain, but at least now they're starting the trek with supplies in their backpacks instead of cinderblocks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm liking the nickname of "Quick Draw" for McDonough. Even if Len should not work out, he is moving forward... fast. No time to think about the past.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
they've got a long way to get to the top of the mountain, but at least now they're starting the trek with supplies in their backpacks instead of cinderblocks.

for real, the 2010 WCF seems like a decade ago.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like the trade overall but I'm not thrilled about the protection on the pick. Couldn't we have gotten a pick that's like top 10 or top 8 protected from another had we waited a little longer?

Plus Len doesn't seem like he's ready to start and would have likely benefited from Gortat.

Like I said, I like the trade but I just think maybe we could have gotten more for Gortat.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I cant believe McD found someone to take Marshall instead of being forced to waive him.

Well, Okafor's salary is as much as the other players' all put together, so the Suns didn't save any money versus simply waiving all of them, including Gortat. This deal was just about getting one more draft pick.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Those who predicted that we kept Shannon to be a filler in a trade were proved right. Marshall proved to be useful in the same way and even Malcolm Lee helped. According to my calc, we took back +400K in salary.

Since we are down to 14 players we get to watch the waiver wire for a while. Probably going to be around 40 players cut loose this next week.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I was concerned prior to this trade that we would be in the dreaded 5-8 zone in this draft just missing out in the 2-3 legit franchise guys for 2014. Now not only have we ensured well be at worst top 3, we also have ANOTHER pick that can be packaged up for either a very good player or another Top 5 pick to go along with that Suns pick.

1st round picks are some of the most valuable assets you can have in the NBA and the Suns are stocked. And at just the right time.

With the FA cap room, immediate impact player we will get it Top 3, and legit high ceiling building blocks in Bledsoe, Goodwin, and maybe Len? Suns could go from terrible to 4-5-6 seed very quickly in 2015.

We have all killed Sarver on this board but gotta give him credit for getting it right with McD and getting the f--- out of the way.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I like the trade overall but I'm not thrilled about the protection on the pick. Couldn't we have gotten a pick that's like top 10 or top 8 protected from another had we waited a little longer?

Plus Len doesn't seem like he's ready to start and would have likely benefited from Gortat.

Like I said, I like the trade but I just think maybe we could have gotten more for Gortat.

Zach Lowe tweeted this year and last year there had been ONE 1st round pick traded for a expiring contract. Suns did very well when looked at within context.

Even protected 1st rd picks are consider gold.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Can someone breakdown the other 2 picks we have next year? Besides ours and the wiz?

We have Indiania's 1st rounder next year unprotected but they're a lock for the playoffs and a very good record. ~#25

Timberwolves pick is protected up to #10

In short, we are huge fans of Washington and Minnesota this year while rooting for Indiana to enormously fail.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have Indiania's 1st rounder next year unprotected but they're a lock for the playoffs and a very good record. ~#25

In short, we are huge fans of Washington and Minnesota this year while rooting for Indiana to enormously fail.

Not true.

Pacers pick is top 13 protected. They are a lock to be in the playoffs though so it doesn't matter.

T-Wolves pick is top 13 protected too. I doubt we get this one this year.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Pacers pick is lotto protected and T-Wolves pick is top 13 protected. Best case scenario would be the Suns getting the 1st, 13th, 14th and 15th picks in next years draft.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake