Gortat Traded to Wizards

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we'll get it next year. I'm pretty sure they make the playoffs in the East with Gortat assuming they stay relatively healthy.

that would be pretty awesome, but the East is a lot tougher then it has been in recent memory.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Not a chance. He makes $14.5 million this season, can't stay healthy, and isn't an impact player even when he's capable of taking the floor. He has massive negative trade value.

Other than that, however, I agree with you.

I'm not talking top 5 pick or star, but for a team that's in desperate need of a big man - he's at least a rotation player, and his contract is expiring.

A team like the Clips or Heat could really use a guy like Okafor...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a chance. He makes $14.5 million this season, can't stay healthy, and isn't an impact player even when he's capable of taking the floor. He has massive negative trade value.

Other than that, however, I agree with you.

is there a reason you just completely ignored the fact that he's a huge expiring contract? we've seen that be very helpful in making big trades in the past.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
top ten protected for the next 6 years? that doesn't seem like too great of a pick.

Collecting assets (first round pick), moving less than desirable contracts and freeing CAP space is the name of the game. I guess it's how one looks at it. IMO, Gortat's value was not going up. My guess is McDonough has been shopping Gortat for the best deal for a long time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking top 5 pick or star, but for a team that's in desperate need of a big man - he's at least a rotation player, and his contract is expiring.

A team like the Clips or Heat could really use a guy like Okafor...

Trading him near the trade deadline makes it much more palatable financially for a team that might need him.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone truly think we have a chance at getting the Wizards pick? Seems to me that hoping the Wiz aren't one of the 12 worst teams in the league is a tall order.

Outside of the top 5 teams of in the East there are no locks. The Wizards could get the 8th seed with 35 wins. And don't forget they were a .500 team with Wall.

All the aforementioned are fine players in their own respect, but this team starts and stops with John Wall. As evidenced by last season’s records with and without Wall (5-28 without, 24-25 with), as long as he is healthy, this team has a chance to compete. With the continued development of second-year shooting guard Bradley Beal, this team will feature the league’s best young backcourt combination.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2013/10/17/predicting-the-washington-wizards-final-record-for-2013-14/

Locks to make it
Miami
Chicago
Indiana
Brooklyn
New York

Fighting for three spots
Atlanta
Cleveland
Detroit
Milwaukee
Washington

Not a chance
Toronto
Charlotte
Orlando
Philadelphia
Boston

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
No. This all but guarantees more playing time for Channing Frye.

Yeah, and who else do you see at center? Len's body isn't ready for major minutes, and the other guys are 12th men on the worst roster in the league.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love love love it. We FINALLY HAVE A PLAN!!!

Not only does this open up minutes for Len/Goodwin/Plumlee/Bledsoe, but it pretty much guarantees we'll get a top 3 pick with potential superstars.

In addition, we could have another 3 (3!) decent picks in a great draft to use as trade bait, to get more young players in a potentially historically good draft.

Finally, the cherry on top, Okafor could definitely be traded for something of value.

In McD I trust!

I totally agree with this.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is not a pretty option at center on the roster.

Frye: In dubious physical shape after only being cleared a few weeks ago, terrible at center anyway. What little value he has is as a stretch 4.

Plumlee: Reminds me of a taller Lou... not sure if that should be taken as a compliment or insult. I think he ends up getting a lot of minutes until they decide Len is ready.

Len: Not ready. Not at all ready. Looked lost and weak in the preseason. Hopefully he gains strength as he gets further from his surgeries.

Krvastavasov: Pretty sure I spelled that right. Needs more "v"s in his name.

Markieff Morris: I guess he will see minutes at center by default. At least watching him try to match up against some of the bigger boys will be worth it for comedic value.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
upon more thought, even with the protection this is a pretty good/smart move. maybe we could have gotten a less protected pick from someone at the deadline, but the Wiz do have a shot to get one of those last two playoffs spot and a bird in hand is better then one in the bush.

I also like this because it's going to open up minutes for Len, which will actually give me another reason to watch the team to see what kind of flashes he shows.

I wouldn't be surprised if Goran is the next out the door at some point during the year.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Interesting tweet:

If you throw in Philly I think it could be 10 of 30.

Anyway I'd only give Washington a 25% chance to make the playoffs, if they don't they will pick higher than 13 because the West fringe playoff teams usually are much better than the East.

If only this pick was top 7-9 protected instead of top 12.

Len/Plumlee
Morris
Green/Morris
Goodwin
Blesdsoe

Is the lineup I would like to see.

btw Okafor was better than Gortat last season, who says we can't flip Okafor to a contender at the deadline?

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
That looks right to me, and I'd say Washington should be better than Milwaukee and Atlanta, and comparable with Detroit.

If John Wall can play at his best for the entire year they should make it, we would be looking at a #15-16 pick then.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you throw in Philly I think it could be 10 of 32.

Anyway I'd only give Washington a 25% chance to make the playoffs, if they don't they will pick higher than 13 because the West fringe playoff teams usually are much better than the East.

Len/Plumlee
Morris
Green/Morris
Goodwin
Blesdsoe

btw Okafor was better than Gortat last season, who says we can't flip Okafor to a contender at the deadline?

Oakfor might not play this entire year because of a neck injury.

And Washington is better than you're giving them credit. A .500 team when John Wall returned. Another year of development for Beal, adding Otto Porter... I think they're very likely to make the playoffs in the East.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And Washington is better than you're giving them credit. A .500 team when John Wall returned. Another year of development for Beal, adding Otto Porter... I think they're very likely to make the playoffs in the East.

I'm not sure that I'd go "very likely," but I might put it at better than 50-50. Beal has looked impressive in preseason.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you throw in Philly I think it could be 10 of 30.

Len/Plumlee
Morris
Green/Morris
Goodwin
Blesdsoe

An azcentral article dated 10-25-13 seems to indicate flipping Okafor may be an option. See link.

The deal gives the Suns additional flexibility in advance of a strong 2014 draft, as well as retaining the option to trade Okafor near the February trading deadline for additional assets.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...e-with-washington-wizards.html?nclick_check=1

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake