Great stat when rushing 30+ times in a game...

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
If Jamelle Holieway is available we should sign him at QB!

or I can always start my Vince young campaign, perfect Qb to run the option in the NFL, and he can see over the line unlike Vick.

Man you peeps are killing me...

First S11 wantS a 5'7 150lb running back and you want a QB who doesn't even know what the term 'Accuracy' means.

Young will be great.....as a CB/WR... :D

Like I said 'Pimping Anonymous' is something you should check out :thumbup:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
If Jamelle Holieway is available we should sign him at QB!

Russ,
Didn't Holieway play for OU. If we are talking about the same person, he had some good speedsters as running backs and a great fullback(Kenny King). He also was the reason Troy Aikman transfered to UCLA, never again to play for OU.

Stupid move by Switzer...

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just run the damn ball...that is how you win. With all the "potential" on this OL, they should be able to road grader everyone in front of them and the cards should be able to pick up 4+ YPC with Curtis Enis back there.

Passing is fun and glamorous but you have to run to win.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
Why do you like Sproles so much by the way?
Because it's neat to be able to fit your rb in your back pocket. Plus, he has a king-fu grip.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
First S11 wantS a 5'7 running back
Ok, I'm only going to say this once.
For a slashing, cutback-type speed back (the kind that can take it to the house on occasion), being 5'7" is an ADVANTAGE.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Ok, I'm only going to say this once.
For a slashing, cutback-type speed back (the kind that can take it to the house on occasion), being 5'7" is an ADVANTAGE.

There are how many 5'7 feature backs in the NFL? NONE!

Wanna know why?

Coz they cant take the day to day pounding. It would be beyond risky to take a guy liek Sproles UNLESS you took him late-like 4th round or later. You cant risk a 1-2 hell even a 3rd round pick on him!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
There are how many 5'7 feature backs in the NFL? NONE!
Westbrook is probably about 5'7 maybe 5'8. He may be listed as taller, but he's not.

Quentin Griffin, might be that small, too.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Westbrook is probably about 5'7 maybe 5'8. He may be listed as taller, but he's not.

And Henry is 5'9, but the point is still the same. At that size it is hard to take a pounding on 25+ carries a game unless your exceptional (Barry Sanders) or know how to take a hit so no one gets a good hit on you (Henry, Dante Hall)

These are exceptions and not rules so to me it is very hard to justify taking a back that small in the 1st couple of rounds. :shrug:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pariah said:

How about Dunn? Jones is close too no? Barry Sanders was pretty small.

But yeah i agree I hate small backs.

I loved (and know they didnt win superbowls) Christian Okoye and Barry Word. My type of backfield! Couple that with Anquan and Spiderman and you have yourself a superbowl ticket!!!

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Westbrook is 5' 10".

Griffin is 5' 7".

Joe Morris was a pretty damned good back, in the modern era, and he was 5' 7".

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
There's only 32 starting backs in the NFL. How many of those are under 6'? How many are under 5'10"??

"The average dimensions of a starting runner in 2004 are 5'10", 218 pounds -- roughly the size of LaDainian Tomlinson or Shaun Alexander.

In fact, only 10 teams start runners six feet or taller, and only two of those runners, Eddie George and Chris Brown (both drafted by the Titans) are taller than 6'1".

All of the runners six feet or taller weigh in at more than 230 pounds, except Brown and the Packers' Ahman Green. "

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
I live in the Fresno State area and he looked terrible when I saw him. If there aren't big holes to run through he doesn't have the strength to run through guys... Was trying to tease you about it before but you didn't take the bait :(

Saw the State game?? Looked like a 3rd down type to me too.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
"The average dimensions of a starting runner in 2004 are 5'10", 218 pounds -- roughly the size of LaDainian Tomlinson or Shaun Alexander.

In fact, only 10 teams start runners six feet or taller, and only two of those runners, Eddie George and Chris Brown (both drafted by the Titans) are taller than 6'1".

All of the runners six feet or taller weigh in at more than 230 pounds, except Brown and the Packers' Ahman Green. "
And what is it that seperates starting NFL backs from backups?
Where's the case for a bull like Pittman? That dudes tough as nails. He could probably handle as many carries as you could give him. Doesn't make him worth jack squat.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardNots said:
Russ,
Didn't Holieway play for OU. If we are talking about the same person, he had some good speedsters as running backs and a great fullback(Kenny King). He also was the reason Troy Aikman transfered to UCLA, never again to play for OU.

Stupid move by Switzer...

Well yes he played for OU and actually it wasn't that dumb a move by Switzer. When he recruited Aikman he promised to go to the I formation for him. When injury forced Aikman in as a freshman they proved right away he couldn't run the option, and they proved right away they didn't have the personnel to run a passing offense either. All their OL's were run blockers, their WR's weren't that good etc. They tried but could see right away it wasn't going to work. Aikman got hurt(broken ankle) and in came Jamelle.

Holieway came in and played SO well, they never got him out of the lineup. Obviously Aikman was a better pro style QB, but for what OU did well, Aikman was the worst fit. They would have had to completely re recruit it's tough to go overnight to a new offense like that as Nebraska is finding out this year.

Plus Holieway is one of my favorite Sooners of alltime. The story goes Holieway grew up in a bad South Central LA neighborhood that was a BLOOD neighborhood. He wasn't in the gang, but most of his friends were. When he was recruited he came down to 2 schools, OU as a QB, or USC as a DB, he wanted to play QB so he chose OU even though he knew about Aikman. UCLA wanted him as a QB but UCLA's school color was blue, not good for a guy in a BLOOD neighborhood so he looked at schools who had red as a color.

One year SI ran a picture of holieway in a car back in LA with his friends, completely unaware that virtually everyone in the picture was a BLOOD. I can't recall specifics but there were like 6 guys in the car and a few years later Holieway said that all but 1 or 2 of them were dead, and those guys were in jail. He was the best option QB I ever saw at OU. I just looked it up, in 4 years he threw 224 passes, that's what 3 games at Texas Tech.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
And Henry is 5'9, but the point is still the same. At that size it is hard to take a pounding on 25+ carries a game unless your exceptional (Barry Sanders) or know how to take a hit so no one gets a good hit on you (Henry, Dante Hall)

These are exceptions and not rules so to me it is very hard to justify taking a back that small in the 1st couple of rounds. :shrug:

The Griffin argument is he carried the ball a ton in college, never got hurt, and almost never fumbled, because he's so small they never get a clear shot on him. Where a guy like Eddie George is big, but runs upright and gets hit hard all the time.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
The Griffin argument is he carried the ball a ton in college, never got hurt, and almost never fumbled, because he's so small they never get a clear shot on him. Where a guy like Eddie George is big, but runs upright and gets hit hard all the time.

Well we are looking at two extremes. George is a "big' back accoring to the league stats, but NFL starting RB's in this league are, on average, 5'10 218lbs. Thats a lot different from 5'7 170.

There are only a handful of guys in the league who can take the constant hits at that size and I wouldnt be willing to blow a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB that small only to use in 3rd down situations.....

Sproles might be the next Sanders, hell I dont know, but unless he is clearly THE best back in the draft ther eis no way an NFL team will make him their feature back with a 1st round pick!

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
And what is it that seperates starting NFL backs from backups?
Where's the case for a bull like Pittman? That dudes tough as nails. He could probably handle as many carries as you could give him. Doesn't make him worth jack squat.

Well now we are talking about talent. Pittman isnt that talented a runner. Has nothing to do with his size!!

Hey Sproles could be the next Barry Sanders (I doubt it though) but are you really willing to use a #1 or #2 pick and take that chance when bigger, higher rated RB's can be had in rnd 2 or later??

Perhaps you are!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Well we are looking at two extremes. George is a "big' back accoring to the league stats, but NFL starting RB's in this league are, on average, 5'10 218lbs. Thats a lot different from 5'7 170.

There are only a handful of guys in the league who can take the constant hits at that size and I wouldnt be willing to blow a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB that small only to use in 3rd down situations.....

Sproles might be the next Sanders, hell I dont know, but unless he is clearly THE best back in the draft ther eis no way an NFL team will make him their feature back with a 1st round pick!

I wouldn't take him that high either, there's only 1 RB in college I've seen this year I'd take top 10 and that's Adrian Peterson of OU.

There are just too many examples of a guy like Domanick Davis going later and being good.

The big argument on the Bronco board right now is Griffin is great in space, or with a hole. A hole that ANderson might have gotten 10 yards on, Griffin may get 40 or more. But if there's no hole, Griffin will get 0 or negative yards, while Anderson might push the pile for 2. Portis got 1 on those carries, but got the 40+ like Griffin, big enough to get some push, quick and fast enough to score from anywhere.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
And there you have it.

:D

But I hate to break this to you S11.....

Neither is Sproles that talented according to all the scouts.

Hell he isnt even in the top 50 players in reports I have read and he is, only the 5-6 best RB in next years draft!

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Section11,
I'm sure Aikman had a great target in TE Keith Jackson. The combination was deadly until Aikman went down. How many National Championships did Hollieday win?

I believe, it was only one. That year OU had a great defense and they are the ones which beat Miami for the National Championship in the Orange bowl.

Oh well, I'm getting old and may not remember things as they actually happend.

Switzer basically gave Aikman to UCLA's Troy Donahue. Hold onto Aikman, maybe you win a few more titles.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05