Greg Jones in the second?

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Never seen the guy play, but from what I'm reading about him maybe he should figure into our plans with a #2 pick. Assuming we trade down and have two #2 picks. What do you folks know about him?

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
red desert said:
Never seen the guy play, but from what I'm reading about him maybe he should figure into our plans with a #2 pick. Assuming we trade down and have two #2 picks. What do you folks know about him?

Too high to pick him with our 2nd round, I rather have a speed back like TaTum Bell.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
Greg Jones will be the best NFL running back out of this draft if he can stay healthy. You can't lose by picking him, but there are too many other needs to draft him at 33.

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
Maybe... just maybe if Jones is available in the 3rd, I would take him. He's not bad, but people seem to like him so much because of those highlights. I would take him as a RB/FB, kind of like what Alstott was to the Bucs. I like an offense that has a very versatile and athletic FB. It's not Green's style though, so I don't see it happening at all.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
lrk27 said:
Greg Jones will be the best NFL running back out of this draft if he can stay healthy. You can't lose by picking him, but there are too many other needs to draft him at 33.
Picking Jones with the 33rd pick is reaching IMO.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
Cardinals.Ken said:
Greg Jones = Ron Dayne

They look the same, but if you've seen them both play, they are way different. Dayne could never cut like Jones can. Dayne was big, but not as powerful as Jones. If Jones stays healthy, he is the best running back in this draft.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
I like him a lot, but I'd want to get a full medical clearance before selecting him. He was pretty good in the Senior Bowl and he's has time to better mend the knee. Doubtful that the Cards have had him in for the eval though.
Real good idea!
I was leaning toward Matt Ware cb or Olshansky with our 2nd pick. But, I agree, if he's healthy, he'll probably be a great RB.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Too high to pick him with our 2nd round, I rather have a speed back like TaTum Bell.

R. Woods at #33 and then T. Bell at #64?

ugh. the aggies would be crawling all over our board like rodents. :gun:

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Crimson Warrior said:
R. Woods at #33 and then T. Bell at #64?

ugh. the aggies would be crawling all over our board like rodents. :gun:

I thought Aggies were rodents...

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He became Dayne after his injury. Pass in the second round.

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
I absolutely agree that Greg Jones if healty is the best back in the draft....
you take him 3rd round though simply because we have too much in RBs already.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There are other RBs I would rather take a flyer on. Speedier backs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Cardinals.Ken said:
Greg Jones = Ron Dayne

That's ridiculous.

Ron Dayne was/is a fat 6'0, 250 lber. who tries to run like a scatback.

Greg Jones is a chiseled 6'1. 250 lber. (faster too) who runs hard but as the ability to cut.

The problem, is that Jones hasn't been able to fully stay healthy. If he could stay healthy, he might be the top back in this draft.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Several experts (Gil Brandt and I think Brian Baldinger) think Greg Jones is the best RB in the draft. Brandt compared him to Jamal Lewis with a little less talent. I saw him play twice this year and was impressed both times. I wouldn't have a problem with him with an extra 2nd rounder, but I doubt he'll fits our offense. If Kevin Jones falls to #33 on the other hand....

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry.....

but didn't he have both knees injured? No thanks we need a speed , all purpose type of back. We've had 1 for a couple of years with Damien Anderson, except we NEVER used him. Now we don't know if he is the same. Tatum Bell sounds great to me.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Even with the fanciful Cleveland 2nd rounder, Greg Jones would be a reach. No way. Maybe in the third, but Harry's pretty hot on that RB from Northern Illinois, and he might be a good player to start the second day.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Krangthebrain said:
That's ridiculous.

Ron Dayne was/is a fat 6'0, 250 lber. who tries to run like a scatback.

Greg Jones is a chiseled 6'1. 250 lber. (faster too) who runs hard but as the ability to cut.

The problem, is that Jones hasn't been able to fully stay healthy. If he could stay healthy, he might be the top back in this draft.

You just hate me because I'm beautiful! :wave:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disagree. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if Parcells drafted him instead of Kevin Jones. (It's all a matter of whether he's overcome concerns about his durability). All I know is that he consistently carried the some of the best college defenders in the nation on his back on the way toward the goal line during the Senior Bowl.

However - We have other more important fish to fry at #33 - like a CB. Or a NT.

OP
OP
red desert

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Disagree. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if Parcells drafted him instead of Kevin Jones. (It's all a matter of whether he's overcome concerns about his durability). All I know is that he consistently carried the some of the best college defenders in the nation on his back on the way toward the goal line during the Senior Bowl.

However - We have other more important fish to fry at #33 - like a CB. Or a NT.
\\

Jeff, you the man.

Mike Mayock just said, "... don't be surprised if Bill Parcells takes him with the Cowboys number one pick."

Greg Jones sure looks like Jamal Lewis from what I've seen of the highlights.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Greg Jones won't be anywhere around in round 3.Whoever compares him to Ron Dayne couldn't have seen either of them play.Dayne was a total product of his OL.Jones is as talented as any back in the draft.A better comparison would be to Jamal Lewis.DG said his offense is going to be about getting 1st downs.Greg Jones is a perfect back for that.I can see Dallas taking JOnes in round 1.He's a big prototypical Bill Parcell's back.