Heart broken in San Antonio for what happened to the Suns

Greg Popovich

Registered
Reaction score
I cannot for the life of me support the Spurs anymore.

I have been a Spurs fan since the days of George Gervin.

I supported them during the days of David Robinson.

I loved them even when they lose to the Jazz and the Lakers in the playoffs.

It was such a great love affair.

But it seems like in one series, the tables have absolutely turned.

The guys with the "white hats" have thrown them aside in exchange for a series filled with cheap shots, knees to the groin, bloody noses--you name it.

I cannot stand it.

I won't stand for it.

Suns fans--just please don't think that Spurs fans are bad people.

Or that they also support this type of thuggery.

In the San Antonio Express news--check it out, please--you will read stories of others like myself--lifelong Spurs fans, who now will support the Suns for this playoff series.

Next year--hopefully after Horry has retired and after Bowen gets a new heart and a new brain--I will consider supporting the Spurs again.

But I cannot--for the life of me--support this team anymore.

My only last words.

GO SUNS!

Eastern_Sun

Reaction score
I cannot for the life of me support the Spurs anymore.

I have been a Spurs fan since the days of George Gervin.

I supported them during the days of David Robinson.

I loved them even when they lose to the Jazz and the Lakers in the playoffs.

It was such a great love affair.

But it seems like in one series, the tables have absolutely turned.

The guys with the "white hats" have thrown them aside in exchange for a series filled with cheap shots, knees to the groin, bloody noses--you name it.

I cannot stand it.

I won't stand for it.

Suns fans--just please don't think that Spurs fans are bad people.

Or that they also support this type of thuggery.

In the San Antonio Express news--check it out, please--you will read stories of others like myself--lifelong Spurs fans, who now will support the Suns for this playoff series.

Next year--hopefully after Horry has retired and after Bowen gets a new heart and a new brain--I will consider supporting the Spurs again.

But I cannot--for the life of me--support this team anymore.

My only last words.

GO SUNS!

WOW...I don't know what to say.

Thanks!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP!

Right on brother. Right on.

Now welcome to pain like you've never experienced. So is the life as a Suns fan! :) :(

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I could turn my head on my own team, that is pretty crazy, but I am also not a Spurs fan and don't know what you guys are feeling.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No, I would say root for your team.

I would also say that Amare was wrong (Boris was just clueless) and I wish that he would just shut up about it. It is all very unfortunate, and yes the series has been chippy and we got burned. Like it or not (of course NOT). But don't stoop to calling out Duncan - that is beneath you, or at least should be. Amare, I love you as a player, but man you really need to grow from the shoulders up. I am really dissapointed in his words today. And I hope that this has Sarver committed to another year with the same core but with one or two rookies as well. Can you imagine a Paul Millsap on our side this series? Another story.....

At any rate, fans will be fans. There will always be "hatred" between fans - but only as long as a computer separates them. Suns fan say stupid things, as do Spurs fans, Mavs fans, etc. Just my $.02.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I could turn my head on my own team, that is pretty crazy, but I am also not a Spurs fan and don't know what you guys are feeling.

we've never had to experience the ridiculousness that we've seen from the Spurs in this series. If ANY of my teams - especially if the opposite team was playing pretty good, clean b-ball - did what the Spurs have been doing, I would stop rooting for them and start cheering against them with hope that there would be wide-spread changes.

hell, I did that with the Cardinals back in 2003 and that was just because they were an absolute horror show of an actual NFL team.

it's about the greater good and being able to respect who you're cheering for. My hats off to you Pop.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I've said all along that you've been one heck of a classy poster...thank you for the support--I don't know what else to say. I can't imagine being in your shoes and feeling that your team has been committing wrong after wrong against another team--wrongs that cause injury.

However--don't blame Nash's nose on anyone...that just happened. No big deal there.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Now welcome to pain like you've never experienced. So is the life as a Suns fan! :) :(

. . . and if that is still not enough pain, we have the Cardinals, too.

Looking back, my least favorite Suns team was the one that featured Horry. I never liked the guy.

OP
OP
G

Greg Popovich

Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe any of it. None of it

I totally understand the disbelief by some posters here about what I said.

But you should know--I am only not the only one who feels betrayed by the modern Spurs. Those of us older fans are totally blown away by what has happened to our team.

Check this article out from the SA newspaper today:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA051507.spursreax.EN.71ffce59.html

Big 12
Big 12
You must be registered for see images

Cowboys
Cowboys

E-N Columnists
E-N Columnists

Golf
Golf

High Schools

High Schools

Local Colleges
Local Colleges

Missions
Missions

News Wire
News Wire

Outdoors
Outdoors

Rampage
Rampage

Silver Stars
Silver Stars

Spurs

Spurs

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can't blame the Spurs for Nash's bloody nose, but I do blame somebody for what happened afterwards. It's all Magic's fault, he's the reason Nash couldn't keep playing and we lost the game. Damn him! :D

Donald - I joke I joke, I kid I kid

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From that article Re Amare calling the spurs dirty:

“I didn't believe it. I didn't want to,” Strong said, “but now I have to believe it because of Horry.”

Whatever. :roll:

He acts like he's never seen a fight or a hard foul before. He sits and watches Bruce Lee Bowen try to injure players for years, stepping under their jumpshots, kicking them, kneeing them and he doesn't want to believe it...but one hard foul from Horry and he's taking his 67-year old ball and going home? Priceless.

OP
OP
G

Greg Popovich

Registered
Reaction score
No psyche.

A lot of ache, though.

I am a sportsman--I believe in fairplay--dignified play--to the victor, etc.

My team's image has gone to total crap in my own heart over the past week.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all Magic's fault, he's the reason Nash couldn't keep playing and we lost the game. Damn him! :D

lol!

To be on point...it's Malone's fault for being a whiny country boy and afraid to play with Magic. Let's get that straight. :D

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing is, most of the Spurs fans I've met in person are just as cordial and congenial as UT fans and other great signs of Southern hospitality. This poster is just like the fans I usually meet.

To be honest, the only sports towns that scare me are Philly and Cleveland. Most other towns are fairly predictable. We just never get to see the better behavior because the better behaved ones don't post all day and night on a message board.

That obviously reveals a lot about my own character, though ... yikes.

HardBall

Devil Man
Reaction score
If you're sincere, welcome aboard the crazy train.

If not: You fool me once, shame on ummm, errr, uhh.... You know what I mean.