Honest question.....who would pay to watch these guys??

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I look over the roster and cant for the life of me figure why anyone would pay to watch this team play. In the past when we knew the team was going to blow...we at least had a Grant Hill, Stoudamire type that was worth going to see. Now who?? You know they will suck and your going to go see Dragic score 14 points??? Gortat grab 7 rebounds?? They are not worth the price of admission when they will only win a handful of gamez. There is no Lin-sanity in this group of duds.
The name of the game is get fans in the seats have a solid team with a star or two and create an atmosphere of excitement. This squad does none of that. I know you cant just go out and get a James, Melo, Durant type guy but damn give us something....I read Jimmer is being shopped...dump Dragic for a top pick and make an offer for that kid. HE IS NOT THE ANSWER TO THE SUNS PROBLEMS I GET THAT. But he could score 20 plus a night and create excitement for cheap in a wasted season. He would put fans in seats in Phx. They could build on something like that. They are going no where and wont be competitive for years so give me a reason to want to spend my money on them.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
Sorry, should be in Suns forum....but could also be question for Cards:)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Because I think Patrick Peterson and Larry Fitzgerald are much better on the court than anyone you mentioned?

Dragic is really going to be a liability at OG taking over for Cooper though...

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
Right on...the Cardz could suit up a better Baller group than the Suns could field a rugby team for sure.:) Crazy 1 am posts....I suck....but not as bad as the Suns will.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't build a team around Jimmer. Giving up Dragic for him would be foolhardy, Dragic is a far superior pro player. Jimmer was a great college player but lacks the quickness and size to play well at this level. The Suns were a playoff team for several years and made some incredibly short-sighted moves during that stretch and now it's time to pay the price. The worst thing you could do is try and fix this overnight. We need to be bad for at least one more season, add a top pick in this talent laden upcoming draft and then we can start adding key FA's to fill out the roster. JMO.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lyle Sendlein is not very good but I think drafting Len to play center is a mistake. Not just because ankle issues are a concern for any guy his size but at 7'2" I think his high center of gravity is going make blocking bull rushers nearly impossible.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lyle Sendlein is not very good but I think drafting Len to play center is a mistake. Not just because ankle issues are a concern for any guy his size but at 7'2" I think his high center of gravity is going make blocking bull rushers nearly impossible.

I think the Suns have the better guards and the better center but it's probably a wash on the tackles. The Suns look to be the worst team in the league, can the Cards keep pace? Probably.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The main difference between the Suns and Cardinals is that Suns fans aren't the only people in the country believing that their team will be good.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have the makings of a good running team if they don't have to grind it out in the red zone. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have the makings of a good running team if they don't have to grind it out in the red zone. :)

If you're talking Track and Field, yes we should be able to staff a pretty effective team. If you're talking about basketball, no amount of running looks to save this group. You usually have to rebound in order to run and I don't think we're going to do that very well.

Steve

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Dragic for Jimmer?

You have got to be freaking kidding me.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
Your right you cant build around Jimmer but he would put fans in the stands and be can score at will even in the pros. That is what paying fans want when there is no hope of going to the playoffs. He comes in and plays 10 minutes and scores 10 points....we need that factor on this team. I will not pay to see Goran run up and down the court score and never reach the playoffs. I and many will with Jimmer and he would come cheap. Get a top pick for Goran and go get Jimmer

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your right you cant build around Jimmer but he would put fans in the stands and be can score at will even in the pros. That is what paying fans want when there is no hope of going to the playoffs. He comes in and plays 10 minutes and scores 10 points....we need that factor on this team. I will not pay to see Goran run up and down the court score and never reach the playoffs. I and many will with Jimmer and he would come cheap. Get a top pick for Goran and go get Jimmer

I'm not sure Jimmer can score as you suggest if he's not surrounded with talent. He'd just be too easy to shut down if the defense focused on him. If neither had a name or a rep I'd bet that Goran could come in and do what you're talking about better than Jimmer can. Anyway, none of it would matter though because once this team started losing nightly whatever draw Jimmer had would disappear quickly. As for getting a top pick for Dragic, I'm fine with that if the right deal comes along.

Steve

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
I'm not sure Jimmer can score as you suggest if he's not surrounded with talent. He'd just be too easy to shut down if the defense focused on him. If neither had a name or a rep I'd bet that Goran could come in and do what you're talking about better than Jimmer can. Anyway, none of it would matter though because once this team started losing nightly whatever draw Jimmer had would disappear quickly. As for getting a top pick for Dragic, I'm fine with that if the right deal comes along.

Steve

Its debatable but he has scored at that rate with the sorry Kings and he would get people in the seats because of who he is and the buzz he creates.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Why this strange fascination with Jimmer? He has done nothing to distinguish himself in the NBA and you want to replace our best player with him? That makes no sense.

As far as why watch, that's an easy question, and considering you originally posted it in the Cardinals board, you should already know the answer. Why did thousands of fans stick with the Cards year in and year out when they were the worst of the worst? Do you not remember the 20 years of below average play? And you're wondering why we would watch year 2 of a bad team?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
im excited to see the dragic/goodwin or bledsoe/goodwin combo.

our forward spots arent too exciting still...

Errntknght

Reaction score
IMO, the Suns will have the most exciting team in the league this year but then I'm wierd - I like to see teams defend well. Bledsoe is going to set the tone, harassing the opponents as they bring the ball up. Dragic and Tucker will follow his lead - don't forget that Goran can defend pretty well when he works at it.

I expect to see heavy ball pressure in the half court D, probably some trapping and lots of gambling for steals. Such gambling is not the ideal way to defend but when you rely on fastbreaks to score you might as well go for them - and it makes for a more exciting game.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
IMO, the Suns will have the most exciting team in the league this year but then I'm wierd - I like to see teams defend well. Bledsoe is going to set the tone, harassing the opponents as they bring the ball up. Dragic and Tucker will follow his lead - don't forget that Goran can defend pretty well when he works at it.

It sounds like you're expecting the Suns to have a good defensive team, but you can't mean that. Yes, they'll be able to pressure the perimeter when they feel like it, but they have possibly the worst C/PF rotation in the league's last 30 years. They'll be killed mercilessly inside.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the answer is, not many people. The Suns will struggle selling tickets this season for obvious reasons. The fans will have to wait until next season to get something significant to get excited about if the Suns draft someone with superstar potential (the "if" in that sentence is actually much bigger than what may appear).

For this season, there's Bledsoe, Len and Goodwin to watch, as far as individual players. With Bledsoe there's actually some hope that he may turn into an all-star level player, but if he struggles early, many fans will start tuning out. Unless the Suns start winning a bunch of games. Which, sadly, would actually be counterproductive at this point.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
Why this strange fascination with Jimmer? He has done nothing to distinguish himself in the NBA and you want to replace our best player with him? That makes no sense.

As far as why watch, that's an easy question, and considering you originally posted it in the Cardinals board, you should already know the answer. Why did thousands of fans stick with the Cards year in and year out when they were the worst of the worst? Do you not remember the 20 years of below average play? And you're wondering why we would watch year 2 of a bad team?

Chap your making my case for me. The Cards back then barely had any paying fans. The Suns need the building full with paying fans. Jimmer could do that cheaply here in the Valley with so many Mormon Sun fans. The alternative is an empty building no buzz, as Goran scores 15 pts a game and we retool without him the next season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chap your making my case for me. The Cards back then barely had any paying fans. The Suns need the building full with paying fans. Jimmer could do that cheaply here in the Valley with so many Mormon Sun fans. The alternative is an empty building no buzz, as Goran scores 15 pts a game and we retool without him the next season.

I just don't think that putting a pair of Mormon feet on the court is going to put a bunch of Mormon butts in the seat. Attendance might pick up for a short while but it won't be sustainable when the losses come pouring in.

Steve

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
I just don't think that putting a pair of Mormon feet on the court is going to put a bunch of Mormon butts in the seat. Attendance might pick up for a short while but it won't be sustainable when the losses come pouring in.

Steve

If they win it solves the issue, Jimmer solves the paying fans issue win or lose. You underestimate the Jimmer mania among Mormons as well as NBA fans. The Kings attendance was what it was because of Jimmers 10 minutes. Theys sucked and were thought to be moving but the instant offense he delivered brought what few fans they had.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is extremely silly. Dragic is far superior to Jimmer on the basketball court. We're not making the switch to assuage Mormon fans.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake