How are the Lakers "the team to beat"?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Trophytown

Registered
Reaction score
God, how I love bating Lakers fans! I'm practically a master at it.

Some might say I'm a master bater...

;)

Seriously, when the Lakers start developing something more than theoretical dominance over playoff powers in the East and West alike, then I might sit up and pay attention. Right now we just see the Lakers nation patting itself on the back as the Lakers do what every playoff team can do, which is destroy lottery teams that are trying to tank.

I'm going to plant that seed of doubt in your minds. It is medically impossible for Bynum to ever be 100% ever again. I'll explain:

Once you tear the ligaments in your knee, ankle, arm, or other extremity, the body heals only up to a certain point. While a great deal of the original functionality and strength of the ligament can be restored through rest and special exercises, the body part in question is never the same as it was before the injury. It will always be susceptible to future, easy reinjury. And the body part stays like that for the rest of your life. This is why you see NBA players, and indeed, athletes in any sport, wear protective bandages, braces, and wraps on their bodies. It is for the added support, but it's also precautionary, because the body part (in this case Bynum's knee) can give out at any moment. And again, Andrew Bynum will have a weak knee now, for the rest of his life. Have a nice weekend! :D

BTW where are you getting this news that he tore any ligaments in his knee ? Nobody reported anything of sorts in any news publications that im aware of and all about a tear. According to doctors what Bynum has is a patella subluxation (dislocation of the kneecap). And theyve openly stated from reviewing the MRI that no tear(s) existed.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW where are you getting this news that he tore any ligaments in his knee ? Nobody reported anything of sorts in any news publications that im aware of and all about a tear. According to doctors what Bynum has is a patella subluxation (dislocation of the kneecap). And theyve openly stated from reviewing the MRI that no tear(s) existed.

Forget it, he's rolling.

You must be registered for see images

Steven

Reaction score
God, how I love bating Lakers fans! I'm practically a master at it.

Some might say I'm a master bater...

;)

Seriously, when the Lakers start developing something more than theoretical dominance over playoff powers in the East and West alike, then I might sit up and pay attention. Right now we just see the Lakers nation patting itself on the back as the Lakers do what every playoff team can do, which is destroy lottery teams that are trying to tank.

I'm going to plant that seed of doubt in your minds. It is medically impossible for Bynum to ever be 100% ever again. I'll explain:

Once you tear the ligaments in your knee, ankle, arm, or other extremity, the body heals only up to a certain point. While a great deal of the original functionality and strength of the ligament can be restored through rest and special exercises, the body part in question is never the same as it was before the injury. It will always be susceptible to future, easy reinjury. And the body part stays like that for the rest of your life. This is why you see NBA players, and indeed, athletes in any sport, wear protective bandages, braces, and wraps on their bodies. It is for the added support, but it's also precautionary, because the body part (in this case Bynum's knee) can give out at any moment. And again, Andrew Bynum will have a weak knee now, for the rest of his life. Have a nice weekend! :D

Yeah, that's nice and all, except Bynum never tore any ligaments. He tore no ligaments in his knee, which was reported after his MRI. This injury is not serious, and is not career threatening. He didn't even need surgery. In fact, Amare's knee injury a couple of years back was more serious than this (hence him being out for the season, and his micro-scopic surgery, which Bynum didn't even need). But keep saying, and keep thinking this injury will end his career, because it won't. You're not a really good "baiter" if you can't even get your facts right.

Have a nice weekend :D

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
i still think they won't be in western conference finals.

call me mad but I think they lack guards.They won against Portland but not easily,plus half of their team is B.Roy and he was DNP.

When I wrote the post above couple days ago,most of you blamed me for not knowing basketball,Fisher is one of the best PG and Lakers have no guard problem.I simply said they re good team but "exeggerated".They've barely won aganst Portland who played without their only all-star.

Today Lakers lost 119-111

Fisher went 3-11,their great guards Farmar-Fisher-Vujacic was 9-28 from field and 2 for 17 from 3 points when B.Roy finished with 20 pts,12 assists.Eeven Jarrett Jack had 10 assists for God's sake.
So,those who insult and give speech with Lakers jerseys,should think twice before posting.

OP
OP
A

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I know this doesn't really contribute to the original topic, but I am kinda excited the Lakers lost tonight. Not so much as them losing, but the fact that it makes their lead over the Suns in the division that much less...

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I wrote the post above couple days ago,most of you blamed me for not knowing basketball,Fisher is one of the best PG and Lakers have no guard problem.I simply said they re good team but "exeggerated".They've barely won aganst Portland who played without their only all-star.

Today Lakers lost 119-111

Fisher went 3-11,their great guards Farmar-Fisher-Vujacic was 9-28 from field and 2 for 17 from 3 points when B.Roy finished with 20 pts,12 assists.Eeven Jarrett Jack had 10 assists for God's sake.
So,those who insult and give speech with Lakers jerseys,should think twice before posting.

:bigyawn: Gee, I couldn't see this coming.

Fisher is slumping, and was the primary cause of the loss tonight, not his shooting but he didn't guard Blake at all. It's called a bad game by our guards. Where were you the last couple of games when Farmar and Sasha were scoring around 40 combined?

But if we go off one games, I guess Steve Nash is a turnover machine so the Suns have a PG problem. :rolleyes:

BTW, the Lakers are historically bad in the Rose Garden...I mean rarely win there bad. And even with that ATROCIOUS shooting, they lost by 8 on the road in the second game of a b2b. You should think thrice before posting.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
:bigyawn: Gee, I couldn't see this coming.

Fisher is slumping, and was the primary cause of the loss tonight, not his shooting but he didn't guard Blake at all. It's called a bad game by our guards. Where were you the last couple of games when Farmar and Sasha were scoring around 40 combined?

But if we go off one games, I guess Steve Nash is a turnover machine so the Suns have a PG problem. :rolleyes:

BTW, the Lakers are historically bad in the Rose Garden...I mean rarely win there bad. And even with that ATROCIOUS shooting, they lost by 8 on the road in the second game of a b2b. You should think thrice before posting.

If Nash is doing 2 turnover,he's covering with 20 assists:)

And I agree,of course you can not show your point with a single game,shooters can go cold etc,but despite powerful "Gasol-Kobe-Odom" trio,this team will suffer because of the guards in play-offs when facing teams like Mavs,Spurs and yes even Suns:)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Nash is doing 2 turnover,he's covering with 20 assists:)

And I agree,of course you can not show your point with a single game,shooters can go cold etc,but despite powerful "Gasol-Kobe-Odom" trio,this team will suffer because of the guards in play-offs when facing teams like Mavs,Spurs and yes even Suns:)

We'll see.

I have absolutely zero worries about our guards. Right now our SF defense and interior defense is a problem. Our guards have been instrumental in the majority of our 41 wins.

Steven

Reaction score
So the Lakers lost a game. Big deal. We're not going to win every game of the season. The Blazers were hot and a lot of our guys were ice cold. They were making every single shot they attempted, it's hard to beat a team like that. It's not really a big deal, it's just one loss. And our interior defense will get better when Bynum when returns, and no I'm not worried about our guards. They've been great all season and just had an off game. No need to overreact

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
So the Lakers lost a game. Big deal. We're not going to win every game of the season. The Blazers were hot and a lot of our guys were ice cold. They were making every single shot they attempted, it's hard to beat a team like that. It's not really a big deal, it's just one loss. And our interior defense will get better when Bynum when returns, and no I'm not worried about our guards. They've been great all season and just had an off game. No need to overreact

Steven, I think I may have seen you at the game the other night. Is this you, weeping openly now that it's been conclusively shown that the Lakers with Gasol can only consistently beat sub .500 teams?

If I've mistaken you for a different apologetic Lakers supporter, then, you know...my bad.

Last edited:

KCi

Reaction score
^^ How can you make that conclusion when the Lakers haven't consistently played teams above .500 since the trade. They've beaten the Magics, Suns, and the Blazers and then lost the Blazers the seconds time. They have however, consistently shown that they can beat the Suns this season with any center other than Kwame.

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
Conventional wisdom would say that SA is the team to beat.

Stephen A Smith and the other bandwagoneers at ESPN suffer from an acute lack of wisdom unfortunately.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
^^ How can you make that conclusion when the Lakers haven't consistently played teams above .500 since the trade. They've beaten the Magics, Suns, and the Blazers and then lost the Blazers the seconds time. They have however, consistently shown that they can beat the Suns this season with any center other than Kwame.

Yep, since the Gasol trade, the Lakers are 3-1 against teams with winning records. For the season, they are 16-15 against teams above .500.

Last edited:

Steven

Reaction score
Steven, I think I may have seen you at the game the other night. Is this you, weeping openly now that it's been conclusively shown that the Lakers with Gasol can only consistently beat sub .500 teams?

If I've mistaken you for a different apologetic Lakers supporter, then, you know...my bad.
No I wasn't, but nice try though. You should be more worried about the Suns record against Western Conference teams more than anything. Or your inability to read and decipher information, like Bynum being out an addition 8 weeks, which isn't true. Or Bynum's injury is career threatening, and that he tore a ligament in his knee, which also is not true.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Conventional wisdom would say that SA is the team to beat.

Stephen A Smith and the other bandwagoneers at ESPN suffer from an acute lack of wisdom unfortunately.

I agree completely. The Lakers don't matter at all. And the Suns sleep on the Spurs at their own peril.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Lakers are gods compared to how the Suns are playing right now.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The Lakers wouldnt lose a game like this. Neither would the Spurs, Mavs, Rockets, Warriors, Jazz, or Nuggets