How are the Lakers "the team to beat"?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another important fact, his MPG are down as well. Almost no one takes note of these things anymore.

So are Kobe's.

Both of them have about 2 seasons worth of playoff games though, which people also never note.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
Timmy turns 32 in late April.
Kobe turns 30 in August.

That's just under 2.5 years apart. Timmys game lends itself to having a long career. Can Kobe play at this level at 35? I'm sure Timmy can play near this level till he's about 38 or so (see below)

Statistically he's down because of the emergence of Parker as a legitimate offensive threat. Fact is, the Spurs no longer need to rely on his offense to get them through games. Another important fact, his MPG are down as well. Almost no one takes note of these things anymore.

Bingo...Who had a longer career, Captain Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Doctor Julius Erving? The high-flyers need to adjust their game once the athleticism goes, the guys who rely on fundamental brilliance, they just keep playing because, they never counted on their athleticism.
I don't care about Bynum integrating into the offense. 100% confident he'll flow right in.
With regards to this quote, I think you're referencing Bryant's quote of saying that Pau is already integrated. While it might be possible though highly unlikely, since he has never even played with Bynum on the court, then how can he be integrated? Plus, while it's true that Pau is doing a very admirable job as a Center, once Bynum comes back, he will need to move his game off the low-block. Unless Bynum has a nice 12 -15 foot jumper, his place is on that low-block. But Pau is shooting what? 60% from down there? It's quite the conundrum but one people like me think is a 2-edged sword.

Last edited:

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
What an impressive game by the Mavericks yesterday. My favorite parts were when Jason Kidd kept dribbling right around the awkward, Eastern bloc goons that Phil Jackson kept putting on him. And how if anybody on the Lakers but Kobe Bryant handled the ball, it ended up as a turnover or a missed 3-point shot. And how who-the-hell-is-Eric-Dampier, Eric Dampier, outworked Gasol and got all of rebounds the homeless man should have gotten in just 30 minutes of play, including 6 offensive boards. Really, really amusing stuff to watch.

Apparently, all it takes for the Lakers to barely win at home against a good team is 52 points from Bryant in overtime, and some poor officiating down the stretch. And they have the arrogance to talk "championship."

The favorite is the Spurs. It's always, always been the Spurs, and will continue to BE the Spurs until they actually lose a playoff series.

:biglaugh:

Last edited:

Trophytown

Registered
Reaction score
What an impressive game by the Mavericks yesterday. My favorite parts were when Jason Kidd kept dribbling right around the awkward, Eastern bloc goons that Phil Jackson kept putting on him. And how if anybody on the Lakers but Kobe Bryant handled the ball, it ended up as a turnover or a missed 3-point shot. And how who-the-hell-is-Eric-Dampier, Eric Dampier, outworked Gasol and got all of rebounds the homeless man should have gotten in just 30 minutes of play, including 6 offensive boards. Really, really amusing stuff to watch.

Apparently, all it takes for the Lakers to barely win at home against a good team is 52 points from Bryant in overtime, and some poor officiating down the stretch. And they have the arrogance to talk "championship."

The favorite is the Spurs. It's always, always been the Spurs, and will continue to BE the Spurs until they actually lose a playoff series.

Thats why Kobe's a leading MVP candidate. He stepped up, carried his team on his back. Cant say the same for anybody on the Suns these days now can we ?

Win #42......."Where Kobe happens."

Ode to Ocho

Registered
Reaction score
Bingo...Who had a longer career, Captain Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Doctor Julius Erving? The high-flyers need to adjust their game once the athleticism goes, the guys who rely on fundamental brilliance, they just keep playing because, they never counted on their athleticism.

Duncan doesn't have Magic Johnson to extend his career by about 5 years.

With regards to this quote, I think you're referencing Bryant's quote of saying that Pau is already integrated. While it might be possible though highly unlikely, since he has never even played with Bynum on the court, then how can he be integrated? Plus, while it's true that Pau is doing a very admirable job as a Center, once Bynum comes back, he will need to move his game off the low-block. Unless Bynum has a nice 12 -15 foot jumper, his place is on that low-block. But Pau is shooting what? 60% from down there? It's quite the conundrum but one people like me think is a 2-edged sword.

What conundrum? Pau is a natural power forward, with a high basketball IQ. He is Phil Jackson's PF wet dream. All Bynum has to do is keep doing what he did before the injury. Gasol is at his best when he is on wing/highpost.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score

If you're going to "analyze" every game from your biased view point, that's one thing. But to come on here as a fan of a team that's 5-11 (31%) vs. the top 8 teams in the West and make fun of a team that's 11-7 (61%) in the same stretch is a little silly. Dallas is still one of the top teams in the league, and they gave the Lakers a hell of a fight. In the end, the Lakers won the game, that's what counts. Had the Suns done the same thing with Amare scoring 50+ you would be hailing him as a god. Your analysis of the games are a joke.

Ode to Ocho

Registered
Reaction score
I Spurs have a bunch of cash to play with, since they will only have Tim, Manu, Tony, & Bruce as their only signed players after 08-09. They will be able to play the FA market and say, they get someone like oh I don't know, Elton Brand...they'll still be a force. It could happen, prepare yourself, it could very well happen.

Heh, so you're going to magically sign Elton Brand with 5 million dollars of cap space? I'm sure he'll be willing to take the MLE so he can play in a great market like SA. Who wouldn't want to live in San Antonio. The River Walk is just amazing.

And I love the Kurt Thomas trade. You guys barely play him and you gave up a first rounder. Lesser of two evils. I'd rather see a 35 year old Kurt Thomas, as a Laker fan, than SA draft another Tony Parker type player late in the first.

Last edited:

KCi

Reaction score
^^ lol, just like how the Spurs manhandled the Mavs at home right? The Spurs barely beat the Mavs at home and the Lakers squeezed by the Mavs in OT but somehow the Spurs performance was so much more dominating. The Mavs and NO are neck and neck as the third best team in the league. Both are playing much better than the Suns. Lakers are not the favorites to win, but they have a legitimate shot just like every other playoff team.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Thats why Kobe's a leading MVP candidate. He stepped up, carried his team on his back. Cant say the same for anybody on the Suns these days now can we ?

Win #42......."Where Kobe happens."

More like, it takes nothing short of an incredible effort by Bryant for the Lakers to even compete with the better Western Conference teams. :)

Somebody had mentioned in the older MVP thread that Kobe Bryant on this current Lakers roster was analogous to the team of talentless basketball hacks that LeBron James dragged kicking and screaming to the Finals last season. At the time, I thought that last year's Cavs team was much worse than the Lakers, and so the comparison wasn't a good one. But after seeing how terrible every Laker not named Kobe Bryant was yesterday afternoon, I'm beginning to believe it. The Lakers really ARE a team of scrubs led by one superstar. I feel silly for having thought otherwise.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Uh huh. We shot 37% as a team, 21% from three and won the game.

The officiating wasn't poor down the stretch, but it sure was when it blew two flagrant foul calls that should have been called.

Perhaps you missed that Sasha guarded Kidd very well, and was able to switch off of him because of his length and Kidd was pretty much a non-factor down the stretch. Perhaps you missed Pau blocking three point attempts.

The only impressive things were Dirk in crunch time and Eric Dampier who was aggressive. I'd be really worried if Pau had to play center, but since we have a solid defending and rebounding big man in Bynum, suddenly those fears go away.

Maybe you don't get it, Beebeard. The Lakers beat a top team in the West in a shootout, despite missing several pieces of their team, including a starter and a sixth man (and a 7-8th man in Ariza). We did it in one of the many ways we've won games this year...Kobe time. Sometimes our bench has to get the win...sometimes the starters roll, sometimes defense does it..sometimes Kobe does it. Beebeard, isn't it nice to have a completely crappy game, yet still win against a playoff team? Hmm, I think I might be asking the wrong person...

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ lol, just like how the Spurs manhandled the Mavs at home right? The Spurs barely beat the Mavs at home and the Lakers squeezed by the Mavs in OT but somehow the Spurs performance was so much more dominating. The Mavs and NO are neck and neck as the third best team in the league. Both are playing much better than the Suns. Lakers are not the favorites to win, but they have a legitimate shot just like every other playoff team.

QFT

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Somebody had mentioned in the older MVP thread that Kobe Bryant on this current Lakers roster was analogous to the team of talentless basketball hacks that LeBron James dragged kicking and screaming to the Finals last season. At the time, I thought that last year's Cavs team was much worse than the Lakers, and so the comparison wasn't a good one. But after seeing how terrible every Laker not named Kobe Bryant was yesterday afternoon, I'm beginning to believe it. The Lakers really ARE a team of scrubs led by one superstar. I feel silly for having thought otherwise.

So you're endorsing Kobe for MVP then? :thumbup:

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Uh huh. We shot 37% as a team, 21% from three and won the game.

Yes, this team has "championship" written all over it. :)

Perhaps you missed that Sasha guarded Kidd very well,
Were we watching different games? Because in the one I saw yesterday, Jason Kidd was free to do just about anything he wanted, including dish out 11 assists to just 1 turnover. Is this kind of like how non-Lakers fans say things like "At least we contained Kobe Bryant" when Kobe scores 40+ points?

Perhaps you missed Pau blocking three point attempts.
Simply untrue. Pau was credited with two blocks yesterday, and one of those involved clobbering the jump-shooter with his body while raking the shooter across the arms. And that was inside the arc. Did Gasol block like six 3-point shots and the stat keepers just missed it? Darn those guys!

I'd be really worried if Pau had to play center, but since we have a solid defending and rebounding big man in Bynum, suddenly those fears go away.
You should be worried, then, because Jeff Van Gundy said during yesterday's game that the word on Bynum was that he won't be back until the playoffs.

The Lakers beat a top team in the West in a shootout
The Lakers-fan spin of this whole thread is that the Lakers supposedly are the top team in the West. And that would mean that they actually struggled at home against a lesser team. So which is it? Are you supposed to be David or Goliath?

KCi

Reaction score
Hey Laker Fans, I don't think BeeBeard posts deserves a serious response. His complete lack of logic just embarrasses himself and other Suns fans who can be objective. He claims that the Lakers can't beat any above .500 team with Pau (proven wrong multiple times), now he claims that all the Lakers are scrubs besides Kobe( like how every player stepped up against PHX). The next time Kobe has an off game and the Lakers still win, he'll probably claim that Kobe needs his teammates to carry him for the Lakers to win. He tries to makes "conclusive" judgment on a player or a team based on one game. Here, I'll use his faulty logic, after what I saw from the New Orleans game, I'm completely convinced that Nash is just an average point guard. Or, after I watch the Philly game, I'm totally convinced that the Suns can never beat a sub .500 Eastern Conference team. lol. He's a joke and everybody knows it on this forum.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, this team has "championship" written all over it. :)

Thanks for finally admitting it.

Were we watching different games? Because in the one I saw yesterday, Jason Kidd was free to do just about anything he wanted, including dish out 11 assists to just 1 turnover. Is this kind of like how non-Lakers fans say things like "At least we contained Kobe Bryant" when Kobe scores 40+ points?

Kidd was lighting up Fisher and Farmar. Phil put Sasha on him and Kidd was neutralized. It was a very good move by Phil.

Simply untrue. Pau was credited with two blocks yesterday, and one of those involved clobbering the jump-shooter with his body while raking the shooter across the arms. And that was inside the arc. Did Gasol block like six 3-point shots and the stat keepers just missed it? Darn those guys!

He blocked a three by Stack late, and I think he got a finger on the airballed three by Dirk late, but the camera angle was poor.

You should be worried, then, because Jeff Van Gundy said during yesterday's game that the word on Bynum was that he won't be back until the playoffs.

JVG is a good announcer (off topic) and I'm really impressed with his banter and his commentary.

You do know the season ends mid-April right? And that expectations are that Drew will be back the first/second week of April, right? That's "not being back until the playoffs." JVG also compared himself to Peter Vecsey, and that's enough said right there. :p

The Lakers, and Andrew, expect him back with a few games to play to get ready for the playoffs. Plus, Ariza's walking boot was to come off today and he'll be getting ready for some game action before the playoffs as well.

The Lakers-fan spin of this whole thread is that the Lakers supposedly are the top team in the West. And that would mean that they actually struggled at home against a lesser team. So which is it? Are you supposed to be David or Goliath?

The Lakers-fan spin of this whole thread for the most part that I've seen is that the title goes through the Spurs, regardless of seeding.

And you also say that the Spurs are the "Goliath" as well. So, just last week this same Dallas team went into San Antonio and fought tooth and nail against the Spurs, and barely lost by 2 points. They then go into LA and fight tooth and nail against the Lakers and barely lose by 4 points. If you want to try and make statements based on these two facts (which I'd advise against anyway) it should tell you two things...1) that the Spurs and Lakers are as advertised, if one is a Goliath the other is as well and 2) Dallas is not a team you want to face in the playoffs, no matter who you are because they can hang with the best on the road.

Andrew Bynum, Vladimir Radmonovic, Trevor Ariza all out. Luke Walton starting. Just like San Antonio did, the Lakers beat a scrappy Dallas team at home in a tight game.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Laker Fans, I don't think BeeBeard posts deserves a serious response. His complete lack of logic just embarrasses himself and other Suns fans who can be objective. He claims that the Lakers can't beat any above .500 team with Pau (proven wrong multiple times), now he claims that all the Lakers are scrubs besides Kobe( like how every player stepped up against PHX). The next time Kobe has an off game and the Lakers still win, he'll probably claim that Kobe needs his teammates to carry him for the Lakers to win. He tries to makes "conclusive" judgment on a player or a team based on one game. Here, I'll use his faulty logic, after what I saw from the New Orleans game, I'm completely convinced that Nash is just an average point guard. Or, after I watch the Philly game, I'm totally convinced that the Suns can never beat a sub .500 Eastern Conference team. lol. He's a joke and everybody knows it on this forum.

Oh, that stuff isn't news but I like BeeBeard. He argues for the sake of arguing half the time and he makes me laugh as well.

KCi

Reaction score
^^Oh ok, I thought you took what he said seriously. ;)But I agree, his posts are rather amusing.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think BeeBeard believes everything he says. I'd fear for his sanity, if so.

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
^^Oh ok, I thought you took what he said seriously. ;)But I agree, his posts are rather amusing.

Haha. That's funny to me because I came to that conclusion yesterday and told him he was kind of crazy and doesn't know what he is talking about. I know you from the HEAT boards, KCi, See the "Marion was tired of Suns" thread, page 4 or 5

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
ill give u clues
STEVIE KERR IS A MIAMI HEAT FAN!!! THANKS STEVIE!!!

i dont like shaq lol :p

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
So you're endorsing Kobe for MVP then? :thumbup:

In a sort of roundabout way, I guess. In the sense that the Lakers are the Memphis Grizzlies, Remix Edition if they don't have Bryant. ;)

Of course, to be seriously considered for the MVP, Kobe would have to stop doing things like this to season ticket holders at Staples Center:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB1jNJN81zE

c/o basketbawful

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a sort of roundabout way, I guess. In the sense that the Lakers are the Memphis Grizzlies, Remix Edition if they don't have Bryant. ;)

Of course, to be seriously considered for the MVP, Kobe would have to stop doing things like this to season ticket holders at Staples Center:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB1jNJN81zE

c/o basketbawful

I knew what that was before I clicked it...so funny.

That should be one of those "amazing" commercials.

Or some "towel abuse" parody...Horry throwing the towel at Ainge, Scottie knocking down the stack of towels in anger, etc.

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
he wanted to pick up 1 towel but there was accidentally 2 towels clung together and he didnt have a firm grip on the 2nd, so the 2nd one went flying

it was an accident NO BIG DEAL

KCi

Reaction score
lol.. I think I know who you are.. did you create your own avatar?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05