How are the Lakers "the team to beat"?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I knew what that was before I clicked it...so funny.

That should be one of those "amazing" commercials.

Or some "towel abuse" parody...Horry throwing the towel at Ainge, Scottie knocking down the stack of towels in anger, etc.

I hope he gave that lady in Colorado the same decency :D

KCi

Reaction score
yea I agree. I love that avy by the way. Very true.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
Duncan doesn't have Magic Johnson to extend his career by about 5 years.
Even better, Duncan has Parker and Ginobili and a coach with rings to rule them all. In case you didn't know, the fact that Duncan has been ALL-NBA and ALL-NBA D his entire career means he is plenty talented even without the Amare crazy athleticism. His career can easily be extended because of a smart system and his fundamental brilliance.

What conundrum? Pau is a natural power forward, with a high basketball IQ. He is Phil Jackson's PF wet dream. All Bynum has to do is keep doing what he did before the injury. Gasol is at his best when he is on wing/highpost.
All Bynum has to do it what he was doing prior to his 1st major injury. That's it. He just has to go back to averaging double-doubles. Gasol is at his best at the ft extended you say...we'll see. Gasol's playoff record is 0-12. I'm sure he'll get some run this year but the Championship will go through San Antonio.

Last edited:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Paul is the MVP this year. He's leading Kobe in several stats. Yep, Kobe scores 8 more points a game, but Paul dishes out 5.5 more assists which is minimum of 10+ more points he's got a hand in. He's got more steals, better shooting percentages in every catagory, and less turn overs. No way is Kobe having a better year, no way.

EDIT: Paul is also averaging 4+ less shots a game than Kobe.

Last edited:

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
i'd have to agree chris paul is amazing right now. look at tyson chandler's year, i'd have to say that is directly because of chris paul. the hornets are not where they are if not for Paul.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Kobe gets more rebounds and Kobe gets to the line more than twice as much as Paul. KB also draws double and triple teams that free up his teammates.

Kobe is also a first team all-NBA defender.

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
I just want Kobe to get MVP so I can stop hearing Lakers fans shouting for him to get it every year.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, so you're going to magically sign Elton Brand with 5 million dollars of cap space? I'm sure he'll be willing to take the MLE so he can play in a great market like SA. Who wouldn't want to live in San Antonio. The River Walk is just amazing.
There we go, it's like all that talk about all these athletes wanting to come to LA because they can make more money from endorsements and such...but ask yourself LA fan...what premium free agent has signed with LA recently, say the last 5 years? Not one. I don't know maybe it's because the tax rate is high here in California, whereas Texas it's state-tax free, how does that affect a paycheck eh? Oh and it's the fact that a FA KNOWS that anywhere there is a Tim Duncan + Ginobili + Parker and Coach Pop...he has a better chance of winning a title.
Ok, maybe you need it explained numbers-wise:
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm
See the year 2009-2010. How many players do you see are signed?
6 players at 52 million including the Big 3. They could throw more than MLE at him if they want to. But do they have to? Elton already has big money, what he doesn't have is success in the playoffs. That's what San Antonio provides.
And I love the Kurt Thomas trade. You guys barely play him and you gave up a first rounder. Lesser of two evils. I'd rather see a 35 year old Kurt Thomas, as a Laker fan, than SA draft another Tony Parker type player late in the first.
See what you fail to realize is that he gives the Spurs another body to bang at the Bynums, Gasols, and Shaqs of the world. He is a tough 6'9 255 and when it gets down to it, he will be there when it counts...in the playoffs. It's not the lesser of 2 evils. It's been Pop's dream to have another strong low-post defender that can hold his position on the block and shoot a high percentage of 12-15 ft jumpers. He has him now.

That 1st round pick was going to be low anyways PLUS the Spurs have shown they draft well enough in the 2nd round as well.

Don't believe me? Fine I'll just give you a media perspective:

http://www.charlotte.com/bobcats/story/518247.html
Spurs managing just fine
I've long thought the San Antonio Spurs were the best-run franchise in the NBA and maybe in all of sports. This season's cap situation illustrates why:The defending-champion Spurs' payroll is $67.3 million -- just $500,000 below that luxury-tax threshold that will make nine other teams pay that financial penalty to the league.
So the Spurs held together that championship core, and added a veteran big man (Kurt Thomas) at the trade deadline, and they still sidestep the tax. Sure, life is easier when you're building around Tim Duncan, but that is great management.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kobe gets more rebounds and Kobe gets to the line more than twice as much as Paul. KB also draws double and triple teams that free up his teammates.

Yep, 2 more rebounds, I think the assist difference more than makes up for it. Kobe does get a lot of calls his way, does that say more about him or how he's treated by the refs? I don't know of any stat that shows how many times a player is double or triple teamed. Though Paul's Assist to turnover ratio is 4.25 to Kobe's 1.5, so apparently Paul is doing a better job of geting the ball to the open guy. Since the Lakers as a whole have a better shooting percentage than N.O., you can't blame that stat on the other lakers.

How is this team chosen? Jeez, Marion beats Kobe in steals and blocks every year, gaurds the other teams best player, and yet Kobe gets a spot? I'm guessing this just another popularity contest.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
I don't know maybe it's because the tax rate is high here in California, whereas Texas it's state-tax free

No, you obviously do NOT know. We're fast approaching new heights of distortion, here. Now you're comparing the tax rates of different states to try to prove out why free agents prefer one team over another? This is like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, the sports argument. Plus, you're completely wrong for the purposes of whatever point you're trying to make, anyway. Professional athletes who make their homes in states without state income taxes are far more likely to incur a greater tax burden because of so-called "jock taxes". Not only do free agents for the Spurs have to live in the yuppie hovel they call San Antonio, but whatever salary they are paid is effectively diminished by what are (I will not hesitate to tell you) bad tax laws.

Plus, I can tell you firsthand that any advantage Texans may have through not having a state income tax is more than offset by Texas' egregious sales tax rates, as well as VAT rates set by principalities that go far and above the state's base tax rates. So you're really better off in Texas only if you decide to never, ever buy or do anything, ever.

If you're going to talk about the allure of the Spurs organization to free agents, fine. But everything you've said about the notion of living and working in San Antonio, Texas just falls flat.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score

HE WASN'T LAST YEAR-
2006-07 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM: Position Player, Team 1st 2nd Points Forward Bruce Bowen, San Antonionio 19 4 42 Forward Tim Duncan, San Antonio 16 4 36 Center Marcus Camby, Denver 11 12 34 Guard Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 14 4 32 Guard Raja Bell, Phoenix 7 11 25

Note:Bowen had the most points overall including outpointing DPOY Marcus Camby.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HE WASN'T LAST YEAR-
2006-07 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM: Position Player, Team 1st 2nd Points Forward Bruce Bowen, San Antonionio 19 4 42 Forward Tim Duncan, San Antonio 16 4 36 Center Marcus Camby, Denver 11 12 34 Guard Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 14 4 32 Guard Raja Bell, Phoenix 7 11 25

Note:Bowen had the most points overall including outpointing DPOY Marcus Camby.

HUH???? Yes, he was. I mean, it's right there in your post. Also on the link you failed to provide.

http://www.insidehoops.com/history-all-defensive-teams.shtml

Also selected to the First Team is 2006-07 NBA Defensive Player of the Year Marcus Camby of the Denver Nuggets at center, his third such honor. Rounding out the First Team are guards Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers, who earns his seventh selection, and Raja Bell of the Phoenix Suns, making his first appearance on an All-Defensive team.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is this team chosen? Jeez, Marion beats Kobe in steals and blocks every year, gaurds the other teams best player, and yet Kobe gets a spot? I'm guessing this just another popularity contest.

Here is how it is selected.

The voting panel consisted of the NBA’s 30 head coaches, who were asked to select NBA All-Defensive First and Second Teams by position. Coaches were not permitted to vote for players from their own team. Two points were awarded for a First Team vote and one point was awarded for a Second Team vote.

Kind of think the coaches would know, since it is their job to analyze defensive and offensive matchups.

BTW, Marion isn't a guard. Have him take it up with the forwards who beat him out.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
apparently Paul is doing a better job of geting the ball to the open guy.

You must be registered for see images

Since it happens to be his JOB, I'm not surprised.

CP3 is a stud, no doubt. Best PG in the league, bar none, and in 5 years he's going to be flat out ridiculous. Kobe is the most complete player in the league.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Since it happens to be his JOB, I'm not surprised.

CP3 is a stud, no doubt. Best PG in the league, bar none, and in 5 years he's going to be flat out ridiculous. Kobe is the most complete player in the league.

As further proof of Kobe's greatness on the court, accentuated only by the comical ineptitude of his teammates, I humbly submit my own shocker picture:

You must be registered for see images attach

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
No, you obviously do NOT know. We're fast approaching new heights of distortion, here. Now you're comparing the tax rates of different states to try to prove out why free agents prefer one team over another? This is like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, the sports argument. Plus, you're completely wrong for the purposes of whatever point you're trying to make, anyway. Professional athletes who make their homes in states without state income taxes are far more likely to incur a greater tax burden because of so-called "jock taxes". Not only do free agents for the Spurs have to live in the yuppie hovel they call San Antonio, but whatever salary they are paid is effectively diminished by what are (I will not hesitate to tell you) bad tax laws.

Plus, I can tell you firsthand that any advantage Texans may have through not having a state income tax is more than offset by Texas' egregious sales tax rates, as well as VAT rates set by principalities that go far and above the state's base tax rates. So you're really better off in Texas only if you decide to never, ever buy anything, ever.

If you're going to talk about the allure of the Spurs organization to free agents, fine. But everything you've said about the notion of living and working in San Antonio, Texas just falls flat.
It's not my theory, it's been spoken about on Spurs boards all over the place by the fans that happily live in the place you call a hovel. I live in California and can easily say the state tax plus the other taxes and the high cost of living is astronomical but hey, the beach is 8 miles away and the sun is shining.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
HUH???? Yes, he was. I mean, it's right there in your post. Also on the link you failed to provide.

http://www.insidehoops.com/history-all-defensive-teams.shtml

Hey what do you know...I missed that...too many boards are open I guess but yeah, Kobe is the frontrunner. I think his defense is fine when he wants it to be. If he wants to be Jordan II, I think he should try to get a DPOY, that would cement his legacy more. Although, a MVP on the mantle is a nice trophy to look at.

Spurs vs. Lakers April 13th That will show whos who unless of course, someone is playing POKER.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who wouldn't want to live in San Antonio. The River Walk is just amazing.

Hey now, I like the River Walk.

My sister, brother and mom all live in San Antonio. It isn't a hell hole. El Paso, now that's a hell hole.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey what do you know...I missed that...too many boards are open I guess but yeah, Kobe is the frontrunner. I think his defense is fine when he wants it to be. If he wants to be Jordan II, I think he should try to get a DPOY, that would cement his legacy more. Although, a MVP on the mantle is a nice trophy to look at.

Spurs vs. Lakers April 13th That will show whos who unless of course, someone is playing POKER.

Bolded part is true. He's had the scoring burden off of him this season, so he's been a lot more active defensively. When he wants to, he can lock people down. However, he expends a ton of energy doing so, so they have him in that mode rarely and only in the late 4th quarter.

The Spurs/Lakers game in April is going to be wild, I'm betting. Bynum should be in the rotation (probably off the bench) and it's probably going to be hyped up as a precursor to the WCF.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like how Lakers fans are assuming they are gonna be in the WCF already. While being good your team is 1 of 8 coming out of the west and to assume you beat ANY of them is just that an assumption. Your goal should be for now just getting out of the first round before you start all the crazy talk about going all the way. The west is deep and I can't say for sure who will be going all the way.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
It's not my theory, it's been spoken about on Spurs boards all over the place by the fans that happily live in the place you call a hovel.

Oh good. Well be sure to tell those people they're really, really wrong too. Tell them "BeeBeard is some know-it-all ******* lawyer and he says you don't understand state income tax withholding laws, and should stop trying to integrate them into your pro-Spurs rhetoric." And tell them "San Antonio is a terrible place to live," while you're at it. :p

About the only good thing that Texas has going for it is an unlimited homestead exemption.* That's it.

Donald said:
Hey now, I like the River Walk.

My sister, brother and mom all live in San Antonio. It isn't a hell hole. El Paso, now that's a hell hole.

Further evidence for my "Donald is actually a Spurs fan in disguise" theory. ;)

* i.e. Creditors with no lien on the title generally cannot attach your house and take it away from you, no matter how much trouble you get into. Florida has a healthy exemption, too, and it's popularly known there as the "O.J. Simpson Rule." No matter how much O.J. is sued, he can sit back in his multi-million dollar mansion and collect his NFL pension. God Bless 'Mmmerica!

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like how Lakers fans are assuming they are gonna be in the WCF already. While being good your team is 1 of 8 coming out of the west and to assume you beat ANY of them is just that an assumption. Your goal should be for now just getting out of the first round before you start all the crazy talk about going all the way. The west is deep and I can't say for sure who will be going all the way.

I'm assuming you are talking to me since I just had a post with WCF in it. If you look back you'll see that it will probably be "hyped like a precurser to the WCF."

Big difference.