How are the Lakers "the team to beat"?

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
I gotta admit, I might not agree with beebeard but his avatar and his writing style is memorable. Again, I might not agree but whatever you say, you say it well.

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
Lakers are going to end up in the WCF, whoever denies that is in denial of how good they have become with the gasol trade

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
I gotta admit, I might not agree with beebeard but his avatar and his writing style is memorable. Again, I might not agree but whatever you say, you say it well.
further evidence that he is actually a troll in disguise :p

he throws wild accusations and statements around in hopes of someone interacting with him for an argument, all the while he is laughing behind his computer screen :p

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers are going to end up in the WCF, whoever denies that is in denial of how good they have become with the gasol trade

I like how Heat fans are assuming the Lakers are gonna be in the WCF already. While being good your team is 1 of 8 coming out of the west and to assume you beat ANY of them is just that an assumption. Your goal should be for now just getting out of the first round before you start all the crazy talk about going all the way. The west is deep and I can't say for sure who will be going all the way.

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
I like how Heat fans are assuming the Lakers are gonna be in the WCF already. While being good your team is 1 of 8 coming out of the west and to assume you beat ANY of them is just that an assumption. Your goal should be for now just getting out of the first round before you start all the crazy talk about going all the way. The west is deep and I can't say for sure who will be going all the way.

I'm assuming you are talking to me since I just had a post with WCF in it. If you look back you'll see that it will probably be "hyped like a precurser to the WCF."

Big difference.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Dude, that's low. Really. There's only one other insult worse you could have made.

I thought we were cyberfriends. :mad:

Aw, yeah that was low, I admit. I'm sorry about that! I present to you this picture of Kobe Bryant humiliating Tim Duncan to represent my sincere apologies:

You must be registered for see images attach

Be sure to note the surprised expression on Bruce Bowen's face in the background. It's almost as if Kobe was right in front of him a second ago and then blew right past him...

Last edited:

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, yeah that was low, I admit. I'm sorry about that! I present to you this picture of Kobe Bryant humiliating Tim Duncan to represent my sincere apologies:

You must be registered for see images

Be sure to note the surprised expression on Bruce Bowen's face in the background. It's almost as if Kobe was right in front of him a second ago and then blew right past him...

that website has no picture readily available........where is it

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are talking to me since I just had a post with WCF in it. If you look back you'll see that it will probably be "hyped like a precurser to the WCF."

Big difference.

:highfive:

Trophytown

Registered
Reaction score
Im willing to wait this thing (reg season) out.But it does appear more and more every day that the Lakers and Suns are on a first round collision course (2nd vs 7th seed).

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't be sad to see a first round match-up with Suns - Lakers it would be a nice series. I don't think the Suns fear the Lakers at all and would be a great series although I would like it better if we were to meet in the WCF, that would be intense.

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
as good as the WEST is compared to the EAST, the EAST has won 2 of the past 4 NBA titles.

what that shows me is that whoever comes out of the west is dead tired of having to beat 3 teams, 2 of them championship material.

so I would say Suns-Lakers is a horrible matchup for the Suns in the 1st round. i would avoid that

Ode to Ocho

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, maybe you need it explained numbers-wise:
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm
See the year 2009-2010. How many players do you see are signed?
6 players at 52 million including the Big 3. They could throw more than MLE at him if they want to. But do they have to? Elton already has big money, what he doesn't have is success in the playoffs. That's what San Antonio provides.

Heh, nice backpedal dude. You said 2008/2009 and you guys are locked in at about 53 million. Assume the Salary cap goes up by 5 million (which is generous), they won't have the cap space to pursue a guy like Elton Brand if he opts out. SA could swing a sign and trade, but they'd have to throw in Parker or Manu, which won't happen. Oh and last I checked, you need 12 players signed on the roster to actually play a basketball game. So your 09/10 dream situation is not accurate at the moment, unless SA brings everybody back on 1 year deals, which again, won't happen.

Your arrogance is hilarious. Elton Brand could sign in a few places and they would be title contenders instantly. Why would he sacrifice longterm financial security while taking a 60% paycut, in the prime of his basketball career, just so he can sign with an aging San Antonio Spurs team? Not to mention, the Clippers can pay him the most money and their core isn't even bad right now and quite promising. Kaman/Brand/Al Thorton/Lotterypick and potential big free agent signing when Magette walks/opts out (which is likely because he wants more money). And that free agent could very well be a guy like Gilbert Arenas.

See what you fail to realize is that he gives the Spurs another body to bang at the Bynums, Gasols, and Shaqs of the world. .

See what you fail to realize is that the Spurs don't have the CAP SPACE to sign Elton Brand for what he is worth unless they have his bird rights (which they don't). What you fail to realize is that the Spurs won't be getting Elton Brand. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I honestly don't enjoy ******** on your delusions of grandeur.

That 1st round pick was going to be low anyways PLUS the Spurs have shown they draft well enough in the 2nd round as well.

Yeah it was low, but it's still better than a 2nd rounder. Given the SA's draft history, the less 1st rounders they have the BETTER for everyone else. SA stayed elite after D-Rob's retirement because they were able to build through the DRAFT. Not free agency.

edit: A more realistic and rational scenario would be SA throwing some of their MLE at 1st round draft pick Tiago Splitter (good post defender, cheaper/younger replacement for Kurt Thomas) to lure him away from Europe. Which will count against the cap in your 2009/2010 delusion where you think SA has the pieces and space to lure a big name free agent.

Last edited:

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

Based on Bowen's inattention to the play and the referee in the background waving his arms towards the scorer's table, I would say that this play was whistled dead without continuation, therefore this is nothing but Kobe being a showoff in a meaningless waste of energy. Duncan is just tyring to get away from this maniac on the loose trying to get more airtime.

Just my guess...

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, nice backpedal dude. You said 2008/2009 and you guys are locked in at about 53 million. Assume the Salary cap goes up by 5 million (which is generous), they won't have the cap space to pursue a guy like Elton Brand if he opts out. SA could swing a sign and trade, but they'd have to throw in Parker or Manu, which won't happen. Oh and last I checked, you need 12 players signed on the roster to actually play a basketball game. So your 09/10 dream situation is not accurate at the moment, unless SA brings everybody back on 1 year deals, which again, won't happen.

Your arrogance is hilarious. Elton Brand could sign in a few places and they would be title contenders instantly. Why would he sacrifice longterm financial security while taking a 60% paycut, in the prime of his basketball career, just so he can sign with an aging San Antonio Spurs team? Not to mention, the Clippers can pay him the most money and their core isn't even bad right now and quite promising. Kaman/Brand/Al Thorton/Lotterypick and potential big free agent signing when Magette walks/opts out (which is likely because he wants more money). And that free agent could very well be a guy like Gilbert Arenas.

See what you fail to realize is that the Spurs don't have the CAP SPACE to sign Elton Brand for what he is worth unless they have his bird rights (which they don't). What you fail to realize is that the Spurs won't be getting Elton Brand. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I honestly don't enjoy ******** on your delusions of grandeur.

Yeah it was low, but it's still better than a 2nd rounder. Given the SA's draft history, the less 1st rounders they have the BETTER for everyone else. SA stayed elite after D-Rob's retirement because they were able to build through the DRAFT. Not free agency.

edit: A more realistic and rational scenario would be SA throwing some of their MLE at 1st round draft pick Tiago Splitter (good post defender, cheaper/younger replacement for Kurt Thomas) to lure him away from Europe. Which will count against the cap in your 2009/2010 delusion where you think SA has the pieces and space to lure a big name free agent.

What's funny is you say all of that knowing it's possible to get back a $100 for 2 dimes and a nickel (aka Agent Zero's interpretation of The Pau Gasol Trade.)

I wouldn't call the stance arrogance, that's what Laker fans do. I would call it just a possible avenue for discussion. I did use the term ...Say Elton Brand, did I not?

We all know about 12 players, don't you remember a time when your team was 2 stars and the Merry Minimums?

Oh and Tiago doesn't need to be lured, just cultivated, which is what he is doing in Spain.

Ode to Ocho

Registered
Reaction score
What's funny is you say all of that knowing it's possible to get back a $100 for 2 dimes and a nickel (aka Agent Zero's interpretation of The Pau Gasol Trade.)

What's funny is SA doesn't have any real trade pieces unless they want to move Manu or Parker. And by all means, go ahead and do that.

I wouldn't call the stance arrogance, that's what Laker fans do. I would call it just a possible avenue for discussion. I did use the term ...Say Elton Brand, did I not?

Pot calling the kettle black, how not surprising coming from a Spurs fan. Now you're in full backpedal mode, good for you. I'm glad I could put your hilarious delusions to rest.

We all know about 12 players, don't you remember a time when your team was 2 stars and the Merry Minimums?

And now the Spurs will have 1 and 3/4th stars and the Merry Minimums for foreseeable future. Enjoy.

Oh and Tiago doesn't need to be lured, just cultivated, which is what he is doing in Spain.

How is Scola working out for ya?

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
Is all of your supposition up there supposed to get me irked la(K)er fan?
It's not working, I'm actually bored with the predictability of your responses.

We all know which team will be most ready come playoff time. No injury dramas to come back from, no egos to unbruise, and most of all...CHAMPIONSHIP FOCUS from the team whose led by a lone superstar who is the best player in all the land on BOTH sides of the court. In case you didn't know, it's Tim Duncan and The San Antonio Spurs. Y'all be cool...When it comes down to it, the road to the LOB goes through the AT&T Center.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shouldn't talk to much MIB if the Spurs meet up with say NO early on they could be out very quickly. The west is gonna be brutal this year almost everyone 1-8 has a shot and thats just sick.

Ode to Ocho

Registered
Reaction score
Is all of your supposition up there supposed to get me irked la(K)er fan?
It's not working, I'm actually bored with the predictability of your responses.

I'm actually laughing at how fast you backpedaled.

We all know which team will be most ready come playoff time. No injury dramas to come back from, no egos to unbruise, and most of all...CHAMPIONSHIP FOCUS from the team whose led by a lone superstar who is the best player in all the land on BOTH sides of the court. In case you didn't know, it's Tim Duncan and The San Antonio Spurs. Y'all be cool...When it comes down to it, the road to the LOB goes through the AT&T Center.

^^ Speaking of boring.

Tim Donaghy won't be around to save you from the Suns like last season, not to mention a nitpicky suspension to their best player won't happen again. Lets hope SA can even advance far enough in the Playoffs so the Lakers can put the San Antonio Corpses properly into their coffins.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
Nice..
Lakers with another upset..
Now those who told me Fisher is one of the best PG playing,
I'm sure you preferred to have Udrih in your team.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice..
Lakers with another upset..
Now those who told me Fisher is one of the best PG playing,
I'm sure you preferred to have Udrih in your team.

*yawn*

Udrih or not, the Lakers were sleepwalking through that game on both ends of the floor, then tried to turn it on in the last 5 minutes. They've been doing that a lot recently and I don't like it. Doesn't matter who gets 25 and 10 if you are playing in dresses for most the game...you're gonna get taken to school and somebody has to be the one to do it.

BTW, I don't think anyone ever said Fisher was "one of the best PG playing." What people said was we don't have an issue with our guards...and we don't. Could they be improved? Of course they could...we'd all like to roll an all-star team out there. For the Lakers team, Fisher is a perfect fit...Beno, while really talented, doesn't bring some of the intangibles the Lakers need at the moment (triangle experience, championship/playoff tested, vet leadership) with this particular team. Besides, we're grooming Farmar to take over in a couple of years.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*yawn*

Udrih or not, the Lakers were sleepwalking through that game on both ends of the floor, then tried to turn it on in the last 5 minutes. They've been doing that a lot recently and I don't like it. Doesn't matter who gets 25 and 10 if you are playing in dresses for most the game...you're gonna get taken to school and somebody has to be the one to do it.

BTW, I don't think anyone ever said Fisher was "one of the best PG playing." What people said was we don't have an issue with our guards...and we don't. Could they be improved? Of course they could...we'd all like to roll an all-star team out there. For the Lakers team, Fisher is a perfect fit...Beno, while really talented, doesn't bring some of the intangibles the Lakers need at the moment (triangle experience, championship/playoff tested, vet leadership) with this particular team. Besides, we're grooming Farmar to take over in a couple of years.

Speaking of "best PG's playing" right now. I can't believe I heard Jeff Van Gundy say that Rafer Alston has been playing the best of any PG right now. Crazy talk.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
passenger is a moron. When the Laker guards play well, he doesn't say a word, if they have even a slightly sub par game he's there acting like he knows everything. I think he knows less about basketball then anyone on this forum.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05