How are the Lakers "the team to beat"?

Ode to Ocho

Registered
Reaction score
We all know which team will be most ready come playoff time. No injury dramas to come back from, no egos to unbruise, and most of all...CHAMPIONSHIP FOCUS from the team whose led by a lone superstar who is the best player in all the land on BOTH sides of the court. In case you didn't know, it's Tim Duncan and The San Antonio Spurs. Y'all be cool...When it comes down to it, the road to the LOB goes through the AT&T Center.

Yeah, no.

The same superstar that shocked NOH with an amazing 1-9, 5 points performance in game 1.

Lakers were the team to beat during the season and they remain the team to beat as of right now. Hornets/Lakers WCF will be a great series.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You just knew some Laker fan would pull this thread back up. You haven't won the series yet and you still don't play D, better hope Utah doesn't start hitting shots or that you learn to play some D before the Hornets series.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
You just knew some Laker fan would pull this thread back up. You haven't won the series yet and you still don't play D, better hope Utah doesn't start hitting shots or that you learn to play some D before the Hornets series.

Utah for the series is shooting 41.5% Field Goals from the floor
Utah for the series is shooting 30.5% From 3 point range.

In 4 games vs. the Nuggets, Denver shot 41.5% for the series, and 26.7% from three point Range. This is against the 2nd and 5th best scoring teams in the Western Conference.

So tell me this genius, if the Laker defense sucks so bad, how is it that in 6 games the best anyone has done from the floor is 46.3% shooting? (Nuggets, Game 3)

I'm not saying we have won the series or that we can beat the Hornets, but your assertion that we aren't playing any defense is laughable at best. You don't win playoff series by not playing defense. Ask your hero Mike D'Antoni.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Utah for the series is shooting 41.5% Field Goals from the floor
Utah for the series is shooting 30.5% From 3 point range.

In 4 games vs. the Nuggets, Denver shot 41.5% for the series, and 26.7% from three point Range. This is against the 2nd and 5th best scoring teams in the Western Conference.

So tell me this genius, if the Laker defense sucks so bad, how is it that in 6 games the best anyone has done from the floor is 46.3% shooting? (Nuggets, Game 3)

I'm not saying we have won the series or that we can beat the Hornets, but your assertion that we aren't playing any defense is laughable at best. You don't win playoff series by not playing defense. Ask your hero Mike D'Antoni.

The Lakers over the regular season were a top 5 team in lowest FG% allowed.

All those teams were off the night they played us though, so that doesn't count.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers over the regular season were a top 5 team in lowest FG% allowed.

All those teams were off the night they played us though, so that doesn't count.

:lmao:

OP
OP
A

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Hasn't the Blazers pretty much owned the Lakers in recent memory? Imagine when they get Odon out there.

Just saying, don't get your underwear all bunched up.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hasn't the Blazers pretty much owned the Lakers in recent memory? Imagine when they get Odon out there.

Just saying, don't get your underwear all bunched up.

Haven't you been paying attention?

I think it is crystal clear that we all acknowledge the Lakers have huge issues with Portland...and that the Rose Garden is Laker Kryptonite.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL.

Just when I thought I was done with you.....you PULL ME BACK IN!

That was a great response.

I feel like Andrew would be great to hang out with. Very Cramptonesque in his responses. ;)

OP
OP
A

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Seriously though, I just saw the piece on Derek Fisher on Sports Center and if the Utah crowd is hostile towards him, that's not right.

The man is a consistent player and gave it his all in Utah and had to leave for the sake of his daughter's health.

So what if he is playing for the "much hated" Lakers, respect the man for what he did in that remarkable game last year and for what he is going through.

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
Seriously though, I just saw the piece on Derek Fisher on Sports Center and if the Utah crowd is hostile towards him, that's not right.

The man is a consistent player and gave it his all in Utah and had to leave for the sake of his daughter's health.

So what if he is playing for the "much hated" Lakers, respect the man for what he did in that remarkable game last year and for what he is going through.

fans care about winning and nothing else..

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we have kind of grown into the team to beat. In the finals though, we will be facing "the team to beat" on the road.

But we've proven thus far that we can win on the road, in hostile environments.

We HAVE to split one of the first two...that is going to be crucial.

14 rings

Reaction score
Well, we have kind of grown into the team to beat. In the finals though, we will be facing "the team to beat" on the road.

But we've proven thus far that we can win on the road, in hostile environments.

We HAVE to split one of the first two...that is going to be crucial.

There is one thing in our favor

They'll be switching to a 2-3-2 format in the finals, which I think is awful but it will favor us this year which is nice.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is one thing in our favor

They'll be switching to a 2-3-2 format in the finals, which I think is awful but it will favor us this year which is nice.

Yeah, I really, really hate that format. But...IF we can split the first two, I really LOVE our chances. The first two are key.

I really hate the Finals format...it isn't like we can't make it cross country in a day, have a day of rest and then play. Dumb format.

OP
OP
A

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I would say "foot, meet mouth", but your post history indicates that they've met before, and will meet many more times in the future.
They still aren't the team to beat, watch whoever comes outta the East will be favored...

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I really, really hate that format. But...IF we can split the first two, I really LOVE our chances. The first two are key.

I really hate the Finals format...it isn't like we can't make it cross country in a day, have a day of rest and then play. Dumb format.
It's not only dumb but it's not a home court advantage.
I repeat....3 of first 5....... ON THE ROAD for the "home" team.
Terrible.
I expect the LAKERS to be a little rusyt if/when BOSTON/DETROIT goes 7 games. This moronic format will favor L.A. big time.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I bet the Celtics would feel really good about at least stealing one of the next set of 3 though from the Lakers. This series should be good.

OP
OP
A

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Am I the only one that kind of laughs when Kobe says it’s the most rewarding out of all the times he has been to the finals?

Yeah I get it, he is supposed to be a team player, but that statement just oozes that he would rather be the guy on the team to lead them to the finals than be part of a dynasty.

He is priding himself on being a team player, but then goes and implies that he likes it better to get to the finals as THE MAN rather than THE DUO.

I get it, we all got pride. It just is frustrating when he says that. Like him saying that sounds like the 3 rings he already has means nothing because he wasn’t THE MAN. I get that the team was counted out before the season started but still…

Just an observation….

I would rather be on a team with experience (Fox, Horry, Shaw, Harper, etc) in the finals than a team that has no experience but a few players and the coach…

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that kind of laughs when Kobe says it’s the most rewarding out of all the times he has been to the finals?

Yeah I get it, he is supposed to be a team player, but that statement just oozes that he would rather be the guy on the team to lead them to the finals than be part of a dynasty.

He is priding himself on being a team player, but then goes and implies that he likes it better to get to the finals as THE MAN rather than THE DUO.

I get it, we all got pride. It just is frustrating when he says that. Like him saying that sounds like the 3 rings he already has means nothing because he wasn’t THE MAN. I get that the team was counted out before the season started but still…

Just an observation….

I would rather be on a team with experience (Fox, Horry, Shaw, Harper, etc) in the finals than a team that has no experience but a few players and the coach…

It's far more rewarding to me as well...I haven't liked a Laker team as much as this one since the 80s. This team is growing into their talent...its organic and it is awesome. Plus, they get along very well. Hell, just the title of this thread alone shows why it is so rewarding.