How Long Before A Move Is Made?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns are showcasing the other PGs. I've always thought the Suns would prefer to keep Dragic unless they get an offer they can't refuse.

I don't think the front office wants to part with Goran. If we do trade him it will probably be because they believe the rumors/speculation that Dragic is going to demand the max. I'm sure I'll once again be called a Dragic hater for saying this but he simply isn't worth the max, not even close IMO. I wouldn't go above 12 million for him.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't think the front office wants to part with Goran. If we do trade him it will probably be because they believe the rumors/speculation that Dragic is going to demand the max. I'm sure I'll once again be called a Dragic hater for saying this but he simply isn't worth the max, not even close IMO. I wouldn't go above 12 million for him.

Steve

Of course, the guy who made an All-NBA team deserves 20% less than the guy who did not.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, the guy who made an All-NBA team deserves 20% less than the guy who did not.

I didn't say that. But I don't think it's a blueprint for success to justify your next mistake by your last one. I still have hope that Eric will eventually play up to his contract but overpaying one guy because you've already overpaid another makes no sense to me.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dragic is worthy of a $14M/yr deal more than Bledsoe is.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dragic is worthy of a $14M/yr deal more than Bledsoe is.

Who cares? Is Dragic worth more than Lowry? Isn't that the name you throw out every time you rant about Bledsoe's contract? Goran is almost 30 years old. He isn't a great shooter. He plays year around and the wear and tear brings him down during our season. Plus he's a mediocre defender at the two and a weak defender at the one. If you want to overpay him simply because we overpaid another player, then I don't know what to tell you. And I don't think we're talking about a 14 million per year deal for Goran. He might be looking for more than that.

Steve

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

The thing is, if the Suns make Dragic shop for the best contract offer, I think they will lose him in FA. Goran has a right to expect a contract similar to what the Suns gave a still unproven Bledsoe. If Goran gets a 12 million dollar offer from Houston (for example) and the Suns are willing to match, I think he walks. So if the Suns are going to play this game, they should trade him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing is, if the Suns make Dragic shop for the best contract offer, I think they will lose him in FA. Goran has a right to expect a contract similar to what the Suns gave a still unproven Bledsoe. If Goran gets a 12 million dollar offer from Houston (for example) and the Suns are willing to match, I think he walks. So if the Suns are going to play this game, they should trade him.

Part of the problem with Bledsoe was the question about his value. He'd shown glimpses of greatness but didn't have a history to back it up. We obviously did not want to pay him what we did, it was necessary to keep from losing a potential star for nothing. I'm not sure we'd still make the deal today. Offering Goran a raise to the same salary as Kyle Lowry makes sense and is far from an insult. If conversations with Goran's agent seem to indicate it will be taken as an insult, I think we're better off moving him. But the best course of action is to keep him in Phoenix on a reasonable deal.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the problem with Bledsoe was the question about his value. He'd shown glimpses of greatness but didn't have a history to back it up. We obviously did not want to pay him what we did, it was necessary to keep from losing a potential star for nothing. I'm not sure we'd still make the deal today. Offering Goran a raise to the same salary as Kyle Lowry makes sense and is far from an insult. If conversations with Goran's agent seem to indicate it will be taken as an insult, I think we're better off moving him. But the best course of action is to keep him in Phoenix on a reasonable deal.

Steve

Goran has shown loyalty to the Suns. IMO, his accepting the lessor role of playing SG has cost him money. Goran has been a star for the Suns. Bledsoe is getting paid for potential. The Suns could lose Goran in FA for nothing... the same scenario you painted for paying Bledsoe the huge contract.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
We obviously did not want to pay him what we did, it was necessary to keep from losing a potential star for nothing. I'm not sure we'd still make the deal today.

Well then the front office is even stupider than I thought, because there's nothing about Bledsoe's play so far this season that has been a surprise. He is what we thought he was.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Well then the front office is even stupider than I thought, because there's nothing about Bledsoe's play so far this season that has been a surprise. He is what we thought he was.

I agree. I understand the fans thinking he'll turn into a mini-Lebron, but front-office people should know better.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Steve

The best course of action is to move Bledsoe and his atrocious contract and then extend Dragic.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He's been better than Goran this year imo. I love Goran but you don't pay him more because he is nice or says nice things about your city. NBA pay is based upon present play, position of need and future potential.

Bledsoe is a two-way player which adds value. He is a younger player which adds value.

Goran played out of his mind last year and probably peaked.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I agree. I understand the fans thinking he'll turn into a mini-Lebron ...
Hopefully the Suns and Cavs have a deal to put them together worked out for when Bledsoe becomes eligible.

I would rather see a happy Bledsoe with his buddy on the Cavs than an unhappy Goran Dragic talking about leaving the Suns. Attitude is a factor in success. Teamwork is another.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hopefully the Suns and Cavs have a deal to put them together worked out for when Bledsoe becomes eligible.

I would rather see a happy Bledsoe with his buddy on the Cavs than an unhappy Goran Dragic talking about leaving the Suns. Attitude is a factor in success. Teamwork is another.

A factor which is lost on most. Fans here (and throughout Sunsfan land) as well McDonough.

The team plays with no zip this year.

I wonder why.

Improved talent and a much worse record.

I'm sure it's the problem with the Centers, or something.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
A factor which is lost on most. Fans here (and throughout Sunsfan land) as well McDonough.

The team plays with no zip this year.

I wonder why.

Improved talent and a much worse record.

I'm sure it's the problem with the Centers, or something.
I don't see a smiley. Here's one. :)

Imagine a football team with three lead quarterbacks. From play to play, the rest of the players never know who is going to be running the offense or in what combination.

And football players are pretty much locked into where they play on the field.

Now take a basketball team, where players on offense can be all over the court. MCR=more chemistry required. But playing with three lead Point Guards.

Whether 1 or 2 or 3 are on court at the same time. LCC-less chemistry coached. If those of us who saw the consequences right from the time Thomas joined Dragic and Bledsoe, why couldn't the Front Office?

Because they are interested in only putting on a show, rather than the art of basketball.

Imagine a concert with a spectacular light show, but three guitars -- all playing bass and all out of tune. You'd walk out and ask for your money back. And here is another smiley. :)

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Imagine a football team with three lead quarterbacks. From play to play, the rest of the players never know who is going to be running the offense or in what combination.

Now take a basketball team, where players on offense can be all over the court. MCR=more chemistry required. But playing with three lead Point Guards.

Whether 1 or 2 or 3 are on court at the same time. LCC-less chemistry coached. If those of us who saw the consequences right from the time Thomas joined Dragic and Bledsoe, why couldn't the Front Office?

Because they are interested in only putting on a show, rather than the art of basketball.

Imagine a concert with a spectacular light show, but three guitars -- all playing bass and all out of tune. You'd walk out and ask for your money back. And here is another smiley. :)

;);) :D

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you talking about the Arizona Cardinals? ;)

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's been better than Goran this year imo. I love Goran but you don't pay him more because he is nice or says nice things about your city. NBA pay is based upon present play, position of need and future potential.

Bledsoe is a two-way player which adds value. He is a younger player which adds value.

Agreed.

Also agreed with Steven when he says that Dragic can not realistically expect more than Lowry's 48 mil./4 year contract.

Even if he doesn't I'm not sure that building around two PG's earning combined 26 millions and one of them being 29years old is a proper way of rebuilding .

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Don't know. The Cardinals quarterbacks have had too many injuries to play more than one at a time.

They have been going through them like a hot knife through butter. Sad but true.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Goran has shown loyalty to the Suns. IMO, his accepting the lessor role of playing SG has cost him money. Goran has been a star for the Suns. Bledsoe is getting paid for potential. The Suns could lose Goran in FA for nothing... the same scenario you painted for paying Bledsoe the huge contract.

I agree. I understand the fans thinking he'll turn into a mini-Lebron, but front-office people should know better.
Agreed with all these posts ^^.

Bledsoe isn't really a two way player in the sense he plays well on both sides. He sucks offensively and is a liability at times due to his tendency to get tunnel vision and also because of the fact that he's a turnover machine. Not even a remotely good shooter either.

And while Bledsoe may be younger, Dragic has far fewer health issues to worry about than Bledsoe. So that adds value for Goran.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who cares? Is Dragic worth more than Lowry? Isn't that the name you throw out every time you rant about Bledsoe's contract? Goran is almost 30 years old. He isn't a great shooter. He plays year around and the wear and tear brings him down during our season. Plus he's a mediocre defender at the two and a weak defender at the one. If you want to overpay him simply because we overpaid another player, then I don't know what to tell you. And I don't think we're talking about a 14 million per year deal for Goran. He might be looking for more than that.

Steve

I'm fine with giving him $14M/yr, he showed he's capable of averaging 20+ pts a game on fantastic efficiency and earned All NBA honors.

Only thing I would change is that Dragic should no longer be allowed to participate in basketball outside the NBA.

And last year, I believe Lowry and Dragic had very similar numbers while both guards led team to a similar amount of wins.

If Lowry had ball hogs like Bledsoe, IT, Green, Marcus etc on his team, his numbers would be even worse than Dragic's now.

marios13

Rookie
Reaction score
Only thing I would change is that Dragic should no longer be allowed to participate in basketball outside the NBA.

These comments about his international play are getting annoying.
Stop blaming international play for his tiredness after he was playing
35 min per game for 76 games and after Bledsoe went down as the only
normal PG with everyone concentrating on him.

He played trough injuries until the last few games.

And it really pisses me of when people say Suns had a better record when Bledsoe was playing ... Really missing a good defender and a decent scorer
that is and still was a few levels better than anyone except Dragic, Markieff
and Fry or Green on a hot night. Everyone else besides Dragic and Markieff was so inconsistent last year when Bledsoe went down the opposing teams usually just needed to guard 3 people on the floor most of the time ... They just needed to choose which 3.

His tiredness has nothing with him playing internationally so stop saying he should stop.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
35 min per game for 76 games...His tiredness has nothing with him playing internationally so stop saying he should stop.
Hey, newbie. 39 posts and you're telling us what to not say. 1,039 posts wouldn't give you that right.

There is a lot more to 35 minutes per game than 35 minutes per day.

You didn't say one thing to change the thinking of a lot of us. Playing in two professional leagues year round wear out a player a lot more than playing in one.

Basketball is a contact sport. It wears a player down.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
35 min per game for 76 games and after Bledsoe went down as the only
normal PG with everyone concentrating on him.

He played trough injuries until the last few games.

And it really pisses me of when people say Suns had a better record when Bledsoe was playing ... Really missing a good defender and a decent scorer
that is and still was a few levels better than anyone except Dragic, Markieff
and Fry or Green on a hot night. Everyone else besides Dragic and Markieff was so inconsistent last year when Bledsoe went down the opposing teams usually just needed to guard 3 people on the floor most of the time ... They just needed to choose which 3.

His tiredness has nothing with him playing internationally so stop saying he should stop.

Tell that to Goran. He's the one that said last year that playing international ball was hard on him because his body didn't get any time to rest. He made those comments and said that in the future he would take the summer off so he'd be fresh for the NBA season. And then just a few days after the season ended, presumably due to pressure from back home, he flipped and said he was going to play for his country but that he'd manage his minutes better.

And there is nothing wrong with pointing out that the team did better when both guards were present last season, because it's true. Yes, that's what happens when a team loses a key player but that's the point. So many people have made this all about Goran and while he was great last year, we were better when we had our full team. We needed Goran and Eric rather than just Goran or just Eric.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake