How Long Before A Move Is Made?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Mavs have gone for an interesting combination of offense and defense with Tyson Chandler and Rondo providing most of the defense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mavs already dangerous offense gets even more fire power.

While in Arizona, Suns sit tight with 14 point guards playing musical chairs as to who gets to ball hog the most in the next game.

I look that as the difference between championship teams and teams who have never won a title.

I think the Suns want to improve and they are not likely to make a move for the sake of making a move. They may not make a move for the present, it may be for the future.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How does Rondo add firepower?

So their solution would have been to acquire another offensively challenged point guard?

Rondo's reputation rose well beyond reason when he was the fourth wheel on the Garnett/Pierce/Allen teams, and some people still severely overrate him because of that history. He will not a difference-maker in Dallas.
Rondo has been arguably the best distributer in the NBA for over the past several years. I don't see how he doesn't become a difference maker especially when considering that his defense at that position is second only to Patrick Beverly.

Btw not saying we should have have acquired him.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This could be good news for the Suns.

Obviously things in Boston are in transition. They may be looking for other deals. The Suns should move heaven and Earth to trade for Kelly Olynyk. He's a sure-fire future star. It won't be too long before everybody sees that. I'm uncertain how Boston feels about him as they don't play him as much as they should.

I'd offer them Bledsoe and the Lakers pick. Basically, whatever it takes. Get rid of the trouble as to why this team is underperforming and pick up a certain star.

Why don't we toss in Dragic, Warren, and Ennis too? Perhaps our own pick too.
Kelly Freaking Olynyk. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We agree on this. The Suns definitely need a banger inside. However, I would hate to see Bledsoe play for the Lakers if he blossoms.

If we could trade IT for Hill I would be more inclined but if PHX wants to get rid of Bledsoe's contract to re-sign Dragic (I don't think Dragic stays if Bledsoe is here) then so be it. IMHO, I would rather have Bledsoe, yes he is overpaid, turnover prone and has injury history but he younger than Dragic and better than Thomas.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...es-for-phoenix-suns-to-fix-point-guard-logjam

Here are some trade scenarios for IT, Dragic & Bledsoe. The proposals look interesting but not sure if HOU or UTA would actually do the trades. PHX needs to get rid of 2, Ennis needs to stay and back up the starter.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we could trade IT for Hill I would be more inclined but if PHX wants to get rid of Bledsoe's contract to re-sign Dragic (I don't think Dragic stays if Bledsoe is here) then so be it. IMHO, I would rather have Bledsoe, yes he is overpaid, turnover prone and has injury history but he younger than Dragic and better than Thomas.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...es-for-phoenix-suns-to-fix-point-guard-logjam

Here are some trade scenarios for IT, Dragic & Bledsoe. The proposals look interesting but not sure if HOU or UTA would actually do the trades. PHX needs to get rid of 2, Ennis needs to stay and back up the starter.

I'd rather do business with Utah although the Houston trade might be the best. I want to keep Dragic.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am beginning to be intrigued by the Butler/ Monroe idea. I LOVE the fact that Monroe can play four or five. It looks like Len is developing a nice mid-range jumper, so the paint probably wouldn't get too clogged.
Butler creates a bit of a jam at SF, but I suppose I'd rather have that than what we currently have at PG. Marcus, PJ, and TJ can all play some four as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am beginning to be intrigued by the Butler/ Monroe idea. I LOVE the fact that Monroe can play four or five. It looks like Len is developing a nice mid-range jumper, so the paint probably wouldn't get too clogged.
Butler creates a bit of a jam at SF, but I suppose I'd rather have that than what we currently have at PG. Marcus, PJ, and TJ can all play some four as well.

I don't see how Monroe can play the four? His range is out to about 3 feet and while he is a subpar defender at the five he's far worse at the four. If we get him it should only be as a center IMO.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
If Len has decent range, why does it matter what Monroe's range is. You need one power guy to be able to hit a mid-range jumper, not both. I understand that you have this thing about stretch fours, but fact of the matter is that your bigs don't need to be 6'11 shooting guards- you just need one to be able to hit a 16-18 foot jumper, which Len and Markieff can do.

EDIT:
Monroe has been playing 4 in Detroit since they drafted Drummond.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Len has decent range, why does it matter what Monroe's range is. You need one power guy to be able to hit a mid-range jumper, not both. I understand that you have this thing about stretch fours, but fact of the matter is that your bigs don't need to be 6'11 shooting guards- you just need one to be able to hit a 16-18 foot jumper, which Len and Markieff can do.

EDIT:
Monroe has been playing 4 in Detroit since they drafted Drummond.

I think spacing is important but my points had nothing to do with a stretch 4. Monroe is not viable as a defender at the 4 even with a solid defender next to him in Drummond. He and Drummond don't work well on offense or defense, I don't see that improving with the less talented Len. And if you pair him with Markieff then you're looking at moving one or the other away from the basket and they are both far better when they stay close to the hoop.

Not to mention that we wouldn't be able to keep Monroe and if Detroit fans are right, Monroe is already playing for himself instead of the team. That's likely to get worse, if anything, in Phoenix where he has no ties and as he gets closer to FA. If we absolutely want to move IT and think we have a shot at the playoffs, I might make a straight up deal but no way do I give them a first rounder too (even a lousy one and I doubt they'll settle for a lousy one).

Like I said, I prefer the Utah suggestion. It works better for the long term IMO.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, what are you going to do with Kanter and Len? Also, Burks has a REALLY ugly contract.

Well, first off, I'm not going to pair them up. You start Kanter and you let Len develop over the next few years. Len may be (or may not be) better than Plumlee but he isn't starter material yet. I'm not sure that Kanter is starter material yet either but he's still very young too. He's only 7 months older than Len. Secondly, with Bledsoe gone, we can run a more traditional offense, one that doesn't require extra spacing. Burks gives us an actual shooting guard even if he hasn't played to his potential yet. I liked him in college. If he ever plays to that potential, his contract won't be a problem.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best trade we can make right now though is quite probably the one we don't make. I think I'd rather keep all three of our guards and play them together more than we have so far. Get all three of them 30 some minutes a game, let them pad their stats and move one or more of them at the All Star break. IMO, the only reason to make a move right now is if the player of our future will be gone if we wait or if we think upgrading now puts us back in the playoff race.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I feel like our players have a higher chance of losing their current trade value than gaining it.

I only feel that way because I feel like our team has played worse and worse, not getting better.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The best trade we can make right now though is quite probably the one we don't make. I think I'd rather keep all three of our guards and play them together more than we have so far. Get all three of them 30 some minutes a game, let them pad their stats and move one or more of them at the All Star break. IMO, the only reason to make a move right now is if the player of our future will be gone if we wait or if we think upgrading now puts us back in the playoff race.

Steve

that's the problem, they can't pad their stats while all are playing 30 some minutes.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Steve

There is merit in waiting. Instead of making a trade simply for the sake of making it, we could wait until a desirable player is available. You never get a good deal when you have money burning a hole in your pocket, so you just spend it on something.

The Suns are rebuilding. We knew it last year, and we know it this year. Knock on the doors. See who is available. Be patient.

I did not expect to make the playoffs this year anyway. More or less wins will hardly impact our draft position. We will likely be drafting 13-14, no matter what (if we don't make the playoffs).

I just want to see what we have in Len, Warren, and Ennis.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
There is merit in waiting. Instead of making a trade simply for the sake of making it, we could wait until a desirable player is available. You never get a good deal when you have money burning a hole in your pocket, so you just spend it on something.

The Suns are rebuilding. We knew it last year, and we know it this year. Knock on the doors. See who is available. Be patient.

I did not expect to make the playoffs this year anyway. More or less wins will hardly impact our draft position. We will likely be drafting 13-14, no matter what (if we don't make the playoffs).

I just want to see what we have in Len, Warren, and Ennis.

I don't necessarily agree with you, but the Suns have been "stockpiling assets, waiting for the right deal to come" for a year and a half now, and they have nothing to show for it.

I would also argue that by not trading one of the PGs, the Suns are slowing down development of youngsters. There is no playing time for Ennis, since Green gets pushed to 3 (and in some case even Dragic plays the 3) Which means no playing time for Warren. Because Marcus and PJ have to play some PF, Morris gets moved to 5, which means less playing time for Len and Plumlee. Logjam at PG spot is affecting EVERYONE, not just our guards. One of them needs to go ASAP.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree with you, but the Suns have been "stockpiling assets, waiting for the right deal to come" for a year and a half now, and they have nothing to show for it.

I would also argue that by not trading one of the PGs, the Suns are slowing down development of youngsters. There is no playing time for Ennis, since Green gets pushed to 3 (and in some case even Dragic plays the 3) Which means no playing time for Warren. Because Marcus and PJ have to play some PF, Morris gets moved to 5, which means less playing time for Len and Plumlee. Logjam at PG spot is affecting EVERYONE, not just our guards. One of them needs to go ASAP.

I would argue that we had very few assets a year and a half ago and we have slowly increased our stock. Not that we're the Celtics but I remember all the negativity thrown Danny's way as he did this same thing for several years (much longer than our current group has been doing it). He kept making trades and on the court it looked like they were barely treading water but slowly he put together enough pieces to make a big splash.

Just shortly before that move I remember the Mouth that Roared (Stephen A Smith) really going off on Ainge for all those moves that led them nowhere. And my point is, you can't jump from the very bottom to the very top. I think we've climbed a few rungs. Not as many as I had hoped or expected after last season, but still, we've got a better view now than we did 18 months ago.

Steve

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would argue that we had very few assets a year and a half ago and we have slowly increased our stock. Not that we're the Celtics but I remember all the negativity thrown Danny's way as he did this same thing for several years (much longer than our current group has been doing it). He kept making trades and on the court it looked like they were barely treading water but slowly he put together enough pieces to make a big splash.

Just shortly before that move I remember the Mouth that Roared (Stephen A Smith) really going off on Ainge for all those moves that led them nowhere. And my point is, you can't jump from the very bottom to the very top. I think we've climbed a few rungs. Not as many as I had hoped or expected after last season, but still, we've got a better view now than we did 18 months ago.

Steve

I hope you're right.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Today's the last day to make a trade for players who can be traded once again before the Feb trade deadline.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Another WC team has made a move....

Adrian Woj;
Minnesota has agreed to trade Corey Brewer to Houston, league source tells Yahoo Sports.
11:34am - 19 Dec 14

Both Houston & Dallas get lot stronger. Minnesota clearing way for their youngsters (Wiggins, Bennett, Dieng, Lavine) to get playing, something as other team I know should be doing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you're right.

I had to read my post again to make sure I hadn't made some grand claim about the future.:) I'm sure about the past but I have no clue how it will all play out. You can do the right things in this league and still get nowhere. At some point you just have to get lucky. I think it's clear we have more talent and more potential than we did the season before last but just how much we've improved is up for debate.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another WC team has made a move....

Adrian Woj;
Minnesota has agreed to trade Corey Brewer to Houston, league source tells Yahoo Sports.
11:34am - 19 Dec 14

Both Houston & Dallas get lot stronger. Minnesota clearing way for their youngsters (Wiggins, Bennett, Dieng, Lavine) to get playing, something as other team I know should be doing.

A below average player is going to make Houston a "lot stronger"? If we had traded for Brewer you'd be lamenting the fact we wasted our time on a marginal player.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake