How Long have you been a Fan of the Cardinals?

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
Grew up in Dallas (diehard Cowboys fan but being a fan of the Texas Rangers prepared me for the Cardinals experience), moved here in 1980. Became a fan in 1988 when the team moved and never looked back.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since 88, but most years it seems like forever.

Reaction score
20 long, long years. I've had season tickets for 14 of those. And now I can say its been well worth it. GO CARDS! :newcards::newcards::newcards:

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
25 years since I was a little kid. Admittedly I also liked/like Jerry Rice and the 49ers. Cut me some slack tho, Roger Craig was from here. :p
(ducks and hides)

TucsonCardfan

Reaction score
1987-88, when the move was announced and the vans rolled in to Phx. I'm a Phx native and bought a car at Brown and Brown Chevrolet (I think they were still Brown and Hoye at the time) and got 2 free season tickets. Had season tickets throughout the Sun Devil Stadium days, now my season ticket money goes to my kid's college. But once they're educated I'll be back.

NuttinButTDs

Registered
Reaction score
Came to USA in fall of 1986 for grad studies at ASU.
First live football game (of any kind) - ASU vs Michigan in Rosebowl in Jan 1987
Cardinal fan since 1988.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1988, oh what a year that was for me and sports.

I was 10, and my love for sports was exploding. My dad isn't a sports guy really, so he never got me into sports.

But in that magical 1988, I asked my parents if I could join Little League Baseball, and did (I loved playing baseball in Physical education and during recess I thought).

We didn't have a baseball team, so I went with my Grandmother's Dodgers. Who then about 6 or 7 months later won the championship (ofc I'm a hometown guy so D-backs have been my team since 98...and only team affiliation switch i'll ever have)

And of course the Cardinals came here. I remember getting a couple of Cardinals glasses from I think Mobil or something. Still have a couple of them. Broke a few others over the years.

Before this, I watched a couple of Suns games, so I'm technically a fan of them longer than anything else, even went to a game in 86 against the Bucks, but I guess since it wasn't around me it took a couple more years before I got the full fledged sports loving bug.

I started watching the Suns like I still do in 88, which also coincided with that great turnaround of Kevin Johnson, Tom Chambers, Eddie Johnson, Jeff Hornacek, etc where they went from 27-55 to 55-27 in one season.

My first cardinals game (attending) was because my dad entered a drawing at the old Valley National Bank branch near our house. Sure enough we won the drawing and that game was the Packers vs. Cardinals 1991 (the one where we pretty much ended Majik man's career). We lost that game, I think something around 19-18.

Last edited:

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
Mid 70's - Cowpukes were always on AZ tv. Schoolmates were Pukes or Steelers bandwagoners. I liked the red team - as much as I cared for pro football. I just had to be AGAINST teh majority. That team was exiting to watch. The 80's come around and I forget about pro football - girls, drugs, punk rock.
early 90's, Joe Bugel team - I listen to games on the radio, watch 'em on TV, start getting into it.
'98 season, I make every home game but a couple - there for the final 2 that get the Cards into the playoffs. '99 I take the plunge - season tickets, Cardinals gear. I've been sick w/ it since. Tailgating since '03.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
been a fan from the moment i heard they were moving to AZ. was in college. went home for winter break and went to Park 'n Swap and bought a non-licensed "Arizona Cardinals" sweatshirt (note at the time they were going to be the "Phoenix Cardinals") with the worst approximation of the logo ever and a "Phoenix Cardinals" hat . . . with the "Phoenix" glued onto it. Still have the hat, no idea what became of the sweatshirt. wore both proudly back to school in boston after winter break.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
been a fan from the moment i heard they were moving to AZ. was in college. went home for winter break and went to Park 'n Swap and bought a non-licensed "Arizona Cardinals" sweatshirt (note at the time they were going to be the "Phoenix Cardinals") with the worst approximation of the logo ever and a "Phoenix Cardinals" hat . . . with the "Phoenix" glued onto it. Still have the hat, no idea what became of the sweatshirt. wore both proudly back to school in boston after winter break.

calling ouchie out - you may have started to become a fan, but you were still a Rams fan first. I still remember watching the NFC Title game between the Niners and Rams (you know, the Jim Everett sacked by the mystery man game) with you yelling at Brother Not Ouchie as he (a Niners fan at the time) was taunting you unmercifully during that 30-3 blowout. A true Cardinals fan (like myself at the time!) didn't give two ***** who won that game and we certainly didn't get worked up about one of the teams losing!

bad sweatshirts or not, it took you a couple years to fully jump in and you know it!

TucsonCardfan

Reaction score
Shoot, I've got a framed Phoenix Cardinals poster from Valley National Bank hanging in my office. At the bottom, "Phoenix * Host to Super Bowl XXVII* 1993". The cancelled Ev Mecham Super Bowl.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Since 1988 when they moved to Arizona. I remember when they moved here I was so excited I went right out and bought a Phoenix Cardinals t-shirt and my parents bought me a Cardinals windbreaker later that fall. I also made it clear to my Mom that when she went grocery shopping she was only to buy Holsum bread because they had 1 Cardinal player card with every loaf. I went to 3 games that year...Redskins, Giants & Packers (sat next to Steve Kerr at the Packer game), listened to every other home game on the radio.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Shoot, I've got a framed Phoenix Cardinals poster from Valley National Bank hanging in my office. At the bottom, "Phoenix * Host to Super Bowl XXVII* 1993". The cancelled Ev Mecham Super Bowl.

I have one of those too. Its not in the best of shape, tack holes in the corners, tape marks etc but I saved it.