How Long have you been a Fan of the Cardinals?

Tony W

Ride it like u stole it!!!!!!!
Reaction score
1992, when I got stationed here from Korea. I'm Originally from Winston-Salem, NC. I was a Bronco Fan (liked the unis) before Carolina got a team. And I know who Kevin Kasper, as well as Buerlein, Easiason, Buddy Ryan, Tobin and Mcginnis.

I'm loving every minute of this.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
raised on the Cardiac Cards of the early 70's as a kid -- this picture brought back a ton of memories (from today's St Louis Post Dispatch)

Attachments

• bigred300jan13.jpg
    bigred300jan13.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 100

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I live in Canada, one hour south of Toronto.

The first time I ever saw the Cards was when I was December 12, 1992 (I had to look this up at football-reference.com). I remember looking for a new team, because the only thing around here was the Bills, and I don't like being told/influenced on what I should like. I was 13 at the time, and I flipped through the channels and saw a team I had never really heard much of before, the Phoenix Cardinals. They won 19-0, and, well, 19 is my favorite number. I thought to myself that nobody around here likes them, maybe somebody should. And I did.

I've sat through gamecasts at nfl.com
I've stayed up late at night to hear them on my static-filled radio when they beat Dallas at home and almost tore the house down
I've sat through the shutouts on the road
I almost broke my fist pumping in the air and legs sliding on the floor when they made the playoff clinching FG 11+ years ago
I skipped going out to watch them win 20-7 at Dallas a week later
I cried when they lost at Minnesota one week after that
I've sat through countless drafts to see who we'd pass on
I've typed millions of words about the Cards, but only spoken about a hundred face to face with Cardinal fans

I love this team........damn I love them

I moved to Chicago from North Carolina in 1944. I immediately became a Cardinal fan even though I lived on the north side not far from Wrigley Field where the Bears played. Cards even played the Bears at Wrigley. Been a die hard fan every since. Really sad when they left Chicago. Was there to enjoy the 1947 year but could not go to the big game. I guess that makes me a fan of 54 years. Dam! How the time passes. I am now older than dirt but still have all the passion for the Cards and Cubs that I ever had. I read about people changing their loyalty to other teams. How does one do that? If you are a real fan you never change sides no matter if your team has not been to the World Series in 100 years or your football team has not done any thing to speak of since 1947. Just one more victory this week end and we will go where no cardinal fan has gone before.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
1944 or 45 (when I was 5 or 6 years old).

The Chicago Cards had the same "last name" as the baseball Cardinals who had become my favorite team ever since my Dad had given me a baseball autographed by Terry Moore.

Before I could read, I'd ask my Dad whether the Chicago Cardinals had won that Sunday. And nearly every week, he'd tell me they'd lost. (Check out their record: In 1944 they went 0 & 10; In 1945 they went 1 & 9. But in 1945 they went 6 & 5. And finally in 1947 - sparked by the dream backfield of Christman, Angsmann, Harder and Trippi - they beat Philly for the NFL Championship).

I've rooted for them ever since.

(Note - Orginally, I had deduced that the first time I rooted for the Cards was the championship year of 1947, but I further recall having to ask my Dad each week whether the football Cards had won; and this had to be before I learned to read at Age 6).[/quote]

So you are a "jump on the bandwagon fan" then? :)

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Early 90's. Wanna say between 90-92, but it's lost in the mists of failing memory.

By the way, we've gotta lotta old farts on the board :)

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
During 1960, I was recently discharged from the RCAF in Canada and latched on to a job at Pan American Airways at Idlewild Airport, NYC. Most of my friends at that time were Giant fans and they constantly questioned what team I wanted to follow. They wanted to bet some money when the Cards came to town . I noticed that the last place was the St. Louis Cards, so I picked them and stuck with them ever since. So the fall of 1960 would be when I first became a fan.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I see a lot of people say 1987, I thought they didn't announce the move until early 1988?

TucsonCardfan

Reaction score
My recollection is, and I guess I would now be considered an "old fart" (just don't tell my wife or my mother) so my memory may not be what it once was, that they announced at the end of the 1987 season and the move took place in early '88.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I had to look it up...

Bidwill had officially announced he planned to move the team January 16th and the move was approved by the NFL in March of 1988.

I found this article from Jan 9, 1988

SPORTS PEOPLE; Cardinals Near Move?
Published: January 9, 1988
LEAD: Gov. John Ashcroft of Missouri and local leaders met with the owner of the St. Louis Cardinals yesterday in a last-ditch attempt to keep him from moving the National Football League franchise out of town. William Bidwill, the team's owner, reportedly was ''leaning heavily'' toward moving his team to the Phoenix-Tempe area in Arizona.

Gov. John Ashcroft of Missouri and local leaders met with the owner of the St. Louis Cardinals yesterday in a last-ditch attempt to keep him from moving the National Football League franchise out of town. William Bidwill, the team's owner, reportedly was ''leaning heavily'' toward moving his team to the Phoenix-Tempe area in Arizona. The Boston Globe, describing its sources as ''solid,'' said yesterday that Bidwill will announce the intention to move at a news conference next Thursday. The Globe said if the team wins approval from the league, it will play in Arizona State University's Sun Devil Stadium next fall, with the option of moving into a proposed domed stadium in downtown Phoenix. Bidwill has said he is dissatisfied with Busch Stadium because it is too small - with seating for 54,392 spectators - and lacks the number of luxury boxes to generate the level of revenue needed to keep the team competitive in the N.F.L.

Last edited:

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
I live in Canada, one hour south of Toronto.

The first time I ever saw the Cards was when I was December 12, 1992 (I had to look this up at football-reference.com). I remember looking for a new team, because the only thing around here was the Bills, and I don't like being told/influenced on what I should like. I was 13 at the time, and I flipped through the channels and saw a team I had never really heard much of before, the Phoenix Cardinals. They won 19-0, and, well, 19 is my favorite number. I thought to myself that nobody around here likes them, maybe somebody should. And I did.

I've sat through gamecasts at nfl.com
I've stayed up late at night to hear them on my static-filled radio when they beat Dallas at home and almost tore the house down
I've sat through the shutouts on the road
I almost broke my fist pumping in the air and legs sliding on the floor when they made the playoff clinching FG 11+ years ago
I skipped going out to watch them win 20-7 at Dallas a week later
I cried when they lost at Minnesota one week after that
I've sat through countless drafts to see who we'd pass on
I've typed millions of words about the Cards, but only spoken about a hundred face to face with Cardinal fans

I love this team........damn I love them

..."damn I love them", that is exactly how I feel.....

As a lifelong NJ resident, I became a Cards fan in about 1979 at the age of 8. I was already a STL Cards baseball fan through my Dad's love of that team since the Stan the Man days. Although he was an Eagles fan (oh, the irony), I wanted to root for the Cards in football since "they had the same name"...oh boy do young people make some crazy decisions!!

Took a trip to AZ in Nov. '97 for Steelers at Cards (wild loss in OT), and had the time of my life with 20,000+ fellow Cards masochists. Long painful ride, but right now, worth every tear I ever shed and every sorrow I ever drowned.

I also Liked English on Tour's story about the varnish incident, very cool.

Go Cards!! Damn I Love This Team!!!

Dylan

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
34 years. Started watching when I was 10.
Metcalf, Hart, Gray, Smith Wherli, Deirdorf, Dobler, Banks, Young,
I have watched faithfully every year.
This is the biggest season of my life. I was beginning to think it would never happen.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1964 - 44 yrs ago, I was 6 yrs old.

My Dad & I were diehard St. Louis Cardinal baseball fans. I grew up in Syracuse, NY & all my friends were Yankee & Giants (football) fans. The Cardinals had just beaten the hated Yankees in the 64 Series, so it was time to start following the football season. I chose the St. Louis Cardinals in football because it was unique that both their football & baseball teams were called the CARDINALS. I even convinced my Dad to follow them also.

The 60's & 70's teams were pretty good & always scrappy. I wasn't too happy when they moved to AZ, but I would follow that Cardinal helmet even if it moved to Moscow. Over the years, I've had many people ask me why I would put myself through such agony. You have to know me, but let's just say that I wear my emotions on my sleeve. My response has always been the same - "Because some day I'm going to be the happiest person alive". That days coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ItsInTheCards

Bomb2Quan
Reaction score
started casually following them in 2003 (went to FSU with Q and Darnell), and their new logo and unis caught my eye in 05, and have been following them much more strongly since.

certainly not ashamed to admit it though

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been a season ticket holder since I moved to the Valley 12 years ago. Been a die hard fan since.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You too huh? Except for the freshman part :) that is.

1988, we watched the team arrive I've been in love ever since.

Me three! Freshman year....got to work in the stadium concession stands the first couple of years through a program with our high school. Didn't sell much because I was sitting in the upper deck the whole time watching the games :)

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1992. Born and raised in CT and everyone was either a Giants, Jets, or Pats fans. I hated all three but was watching Giants-Cards at SDS and the Cards beat them I fell in love instantly. I remember all my friends laughing at me, but in 1994 I stopped playing H.S. Basketball and busted my ass working two part time jobs (mowing cemetery and ticket collector at H.S. Basketball games so I could buy a starter Arizona Cardinals winter coat (still have it). First big purchase I ever made for $100. The crap you do when your 15. I got the only jacket that ***** had. Edit buying the coat wasn't the main reason I didn't return for my sophmore year to bball team but it was an added benefit.

I am kind of envious of you guys going to all the games wish I could. I show my support in other ways though I buy any Cardinal gear I can get my hands on here and even special order stuff and buy Sunday ticket every year. That game at SF was freaking awesome I am so glad my first NFL game was a Cards game and they won.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I was a baseball Cardinals fan who grew up listening to Harry Caray and Jack Buck calling the games on KMOX on summer evenings.

Not sure of the year, but the Cardinals played a nationally televised game on Halloween. Must have been 1969 or 1970.

Never got to see the Big Red, but caught many a baseball game at Busch Stadium. Go Cardinals!!

OmahaCardsFan

Veteran
Reaction score
been a fan since 1970

39 years a cards fan. Ever since I was 6 years old I would watch my team in St. Louis growing up. Even when they moved to AZ about the time I moved to Omaha, I still follow them relentlessly. Been on both side (darksider and koolaider). :)

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
1971 the year I was born.

Grew up in Southern Illinois about 1.5 hours from St. Louis. Sat on my daddy's lap watching the games when I was a baby.

I used to draw the Cardinal logo to take my mind off things in school.

Also, I have a poster autographed by Jim Hart in 1984, the poster is a picture of he and Mel Gray with the St. Louis Arch in the background.

RedRob my wife is from Harrisburg Illinois. Me and my twin brother have been diehard fans for 32 years. We always knew they would finally get a winner but didnt know it would take this long.:D Also big St Louis Cardinal fans.