I Come In Peace.

Brotha2thanite

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whaz'up peeps,

I was watching the Suns/N.O. game last night. It made me wonder why did the Suns trade away the guys that were on your team from last year. Most ppl said you guys would have won the Spurs playoff game if not for the fight/suspension.

So why did your GM not try to keep all those guys together for this year?

I'm not trying to be a butt head. I don't claim to know everything about your team. This is why I'm asking.

Thanks

Maligzar

Registered
Reaction score
Whaz'up peeps,

I was watching the Suns/N.O. game last night. It made me wonder why did the Suns trade away the guys that were on your team from last year. Most ppl said you guys would have won the Spurs playoff game if not for the fight/suspension.

I'm not trying to be a butt head. I don't claim to know everything about your team. This is why I'm asking.

Thanks

Because it would have cost the Suns 16 million dollars to keep Kurt Thomas, and he is not worth 16 million dollars.

Had we kept the team together we might have beat the Spurs, but I'm not so sure about the Lakers, Warriors and Hornets. As it stands now I'm a lot less worried about the Spurs than those teams I just mentioned.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Suns would need an intervention from God to win this year the way the play defense. Their offense isn't as fluid as last year, inconsistency from the 3 point line is one main reason. I hope they go to the playoffs but I'm very sure the Suns do not have a team (mentally and talent level wise) to win the championship.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whaz'up peeps,

Thanks

Money. That was easy.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KT because of money

Marion because of Bynum, Gasol, and Odom. Not to mention we were making mediocre centers look like All Stars and were getting out rebounded by double digits on a nightly basis. Not exactly a recipe for playoff success.

4 Rings

Reaction score
I just wonder had Sarver not been such a tightwad and signed Joe Johnson to a reasonble contract when he had the chance, and then traded Marion and others for Garnett last summer, what kind of awesome team Phoenix would have had this year?

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I just wonder had Sarver not been such a tightwad and signed Joe Johnson to a reasonble contract when he had the chance, and then traded Marion and others for Garnett last summer, what kind of awesome team Phoenix would have had this year?
Marion had the ability to hold up a lot of trades because of his opt out clause. Whether he did hold up the KG trade has been debated endlessly. Hindsight it 20/20.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marion had the ability to hold up a lot of trades because of his opt out clause. Whether he did hold up the KG trade has been debated endlessly. Hindsight it 20/20.

Only Kobe Bryant has an opt out clause. Nice try.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score

I've always heard it was Amare for KG, but Minnesota didn't want Amare only.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I've always heard it was Amare for KG, but Minnesota didn't want Amare only.
Well, there were reports of the 3 way trade which would have sent KG here, Marion to Boston w/ an extension, and Al Jeff to Minny that was supposedly nixed by Marion not wanting to sign an extension in Boston.

Then there were rumors of KG and Amare being swapped.

Then there was ATL rumor which included Amare going to the Hawks, KG here, and I don't know what ATL was giving.

Believe what you will. :)

nowagimp

Reaction score
Itraded Marion and others for Garnett last summer,

the twolves(and celts) werent interested in marion and "others". they MAY have been interested in a package with the Atl pick, if it had cleared top 3, but the suns didnt get it as it didnt clear.

OP
OP
B

Brotha2thanite

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think I would not have let him punk me if I were your GM. In the end he is going to want his money right. Why not keep him until the contract was over. If he wants a max deal it could have only come with a sign and trade, right?

Ode to Ocho

Registered
Reaction score
Because it would have cost the Suns 16 million dollars to keep Kurt Thomas, and he is not worth 16 million dollars.

Had we kept the team together we might have beat the Spurs, but I'm not so sure about the Lakers, Warriors and Hornets. As it stands now I'm a lot less worried about the Spurs than those teams I just mentioned.

What do you care about Sarver paying the Luxury tax? Not your money.

In reality, the Suns PAID 2 first rounders so Kurt Thomas could go to the Spurs. It baffles how Suns fan can act so calm when their owner is screwing their franchise.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kobe can veto any trade he wants. Marion couldn't because teams value expirings.
The problem is, any team who'd want Marion for his expiring contract might not get an expiring contract if he picks up the option for next season. Likewise, any team who'd want to keep Marion beyond this year might not be able to if Marion refuses to sign an extension (he was looking for maximum) and opts out. Marion held all the cards there. Miami, on the other hand, didn't really care one way or the other. They just wanted to unload Shaq's contract.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
The problem is, any team who'd want Marion for his expiring contract might not get an expiring contract if he picks up the option for next season. Likewise, any team who'd want to keep Marion beyond this year might not be able to if Marion refuses to sign an extension (he was looking for maximum) and opts out. Marion held all the cards there. Miami, on the other hand, didn't really care one way or the other. They just wanted to unload Shaq's contract.

This exactly. But I theorize that Marion could have also been traded to any team sufficiently crappy enough to ensure that Marion would walk the next season. Right now, Miami is afraid of Shawn's agent (the same prick responsible for Varejao's holdout) and it's fairly certain that Marion will risk free agency next year.

It would be funny if the Suns re-acquired him at some point, at a much-reduced price. ;)

4 Rings

Reaction score
What do you care about Sarver paying the Luxury tax? Not your money.

In reality, the Suns PAID 2 first rounders so Kurt Thomas could go to the Spurs. It baffles how Suns fan can act so calm when their owner is screwing their franchise.

I never thought of it that way, but you are right.