I think the OL will be OK

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Once Step gets back in there the OL will get alot better. THe C is the guy makng all the line calls and is the leader of the gtoup.THe Cards are using their 5th.Most teams won't use more than 2 an entire year.Lynch was obviously overmatched which has a direct effect on the play of Wells and Brown.Throw in the fact that it was Brown's first game and you've compounded the problem. Almost all of the blocking problems came from right up the middle.It reminded of last years game against NE when Step was blistered by all of NE's stunts and schemes.After that game, his play improved. Davis played all right and Ross, other than a Strahan bull rush was also OK.The team couldn't have had confidence in Lynch's ability.They'll never come out and sayt it but they knew the guy was 1 game stopgap until their starting C returned.The Cards won't lead the league in rushing but they also won't have to worry about their C being knocked behind the QB before he can turn and hand the ball off.And ,as bad at it was, they were in a winable game if they can make a play on special teams.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree and the pass blocking wasnt bad at all.

Youy have seen everything Arrington has to offer however. Thats as good as it will get for him I have a feeling. #70 of the giants weighs about 600 pounds and outran JJ and caught him from behind.

JJ is bar none the slowest RB I ever saw in a game.

Shipp should start except not play goaline. Seems k9 may have been right. He has no nose for the endzone.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

Youy have seen everything Arrington has to offer however. Thats as good as it will get for him I have a feeling. #70 of the giants weighs about 600 pounds and outran JJ and caught him from behind.

Shipp should start except not play goaline. Seems k9 may have been right. He has no nose for the endzone.

i agree with the nose for endzone part - that 1st goal was nver going over as a run that for sure!! whatever people said about him E smith would have gone in last year for us - thought he maight have passed that on th shipp!!

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

Really! ... Who was the second slowest?

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Really! ... Who was the second slowest?

Christian Okoye. Any other questions?

Or is it sarcastic because you think JJ is fast. Well its on video. Not hard to see who is right or wrong lol

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Christian Okoye. Any other questions?

Or is it sarcastic because you think JJ is fast. Well its on video. Not hard to see who is right or wrong lol

You're right. Then, again - you're always, right... and, if anyone ever doubts this - you'll be quick to correct the error of their ways... :notworthy

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
You're right. Then, again - you're always, right... and, if anyone ever doubts this - you'll be quick to correct the error of their ways... :notworthy

oh ok. So. Its on video. Please point out something that shows the explosiveness and quickness of JJ.

Cause we all know what you see in college is what you get as you obviously think. :rolleyes:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
oh ok. So. Its on video. Please point out something that shows the explosiveness and quickness of JJ.

Cause we all know what you see in college is what you get as you obviously think. :rolleyes:

If, after the Oline gives JJ a crack at an opportunity to reach the second level, we'll have something to discuss. You may be right... but, right now... there simply is not enough "video" evidence to make the case for your sweeping endictment of JJ without factoring in the dismal Oline play.

Sound reasonable to you?

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BTW I fully understand JJ should be given an extension after his current contract is up and a full 10 years to determine whether or not he is NFL caliber. As we found out with McCown, most cards fans feel a full decade is needed for evaluation. No one can be seen as bad until at leats 10 years of game film.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
BTW I fully understand JJ should be given an extension after his current contract is up and a full 10 years to determine whether or not he is NFL caliber. As we found out with McCown, most cards fans feel a full decade is needed for evaluation. No one can be seen as bad until at leats 10 years of game film.
I guess I'll have to be the voice of reason. Am I impressed with Arrington? HELL NO. But I'm not ready to write him off as a bust just yet. I do agree that if we don't see SOMETHING very soon that my expectations will evaporate to almost nothing. Good RB's usually come right out of the gate running. I haven't seen that yet & that is very disturbing. The Center position is the only reason I'll give JJ a break at this point. He's on a short leash!!!!!!

Cardsmasochist

Full Throttle!!
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Once Step gets back in there the OL will get alot better. THe C is the guy makng all the line calls and is the leader of the gtoup.THe Cards are using their 5th.Most teams won't use more than 2 an entire year.Lynch was obviously overmatched which has a direct effect on the play of Wells and Brown.Throw in the fact that it was Brown's first game and you've compounded the problem. Almost all of the blocking problems came from right up the middle.

Of course the O-line will be better once Step gets back. But will it be enough? Oliver Ross looks terrible as well as Brown. Brown has an excuse being a rookie but Ross really didn't help.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PACardsFan said:
I guess I'll have to be the voice of reason. Am I impressed with Arrington? HELL NO. But I'm not ready to write him off as a bust just yet. I do agree that if we don't see SOMETHING very soon that my expectations will evaporate to almost nothing. Good RB's usually come right out of the gate running. I haven't seen that yet & that is very disturbing. The Center position is the only reason I'll give JJ a break at this point. He's on a short leash!!!!!!

Im just giving my honest opinion. I gave reasons why. Canuck has no reasons why he thinks the way he does he just wants to express his "im right cause I dont know why and your wrong."

What does the second slowest RB I ever saw have anything to do with JJ? :shrug:

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
I don't think the O line will be OK. Brown played like a rookie as did the center. Stepnoski hasn't played at all this year. Ross, after playing very little in the preseaon, looked like a backup. I don't which one was worse, Ross or the real backup, Ian Allen. I still don't know why they kept Allen over Bridges.

The only hope for this O line is if Lechey and Stepnoski come back soon and Ross starts playing like everyone expected. Let Lechey play center and put Step at right guard until the hand fully heals, then switch them. Those are the five best players on that unit. Until these guys play, this offense isn't going to do much because the backup depth is a complete joke. Hell, I'd play Hayer over Allen any day of the week. I don't understand why the coaches think Ian Allen can play. He sucks!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
#70 of the giants weighs about 600 pounds and outran JJ and caught him from behind.
That doesn't mean anything. Kolodzeij caught Tiki Barber from behind, too. Truth be told, I'd rather Arrington be a little more deliberate in trying to find the right hole instead of just blasting into the designed "hole."

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I think this was the one good running play of the day. Arrington for 12 yards. Offensive linemen doing a good job blocks to open a huge hole.

Attachments

• snapshot_j.jpg
    snapshot_j.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 182

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
I think this was the one good running play of the day. Arrington for 12 yards. Offensive linemen doing a good job blocks to open a huge hole.

If J.J. takes that outside, it is potentially much more than 12 yards.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scott MS said:

Looking at that picture...if he had speed should have gone over 20 if not all the way. Every guy is being blocked.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I honestly didn't think it would be as bad as it was, but in retrospect this was what we could have expected.

Lynch is our 5th C and he's simply not good enough to start. He has never been on an active roster in his 4 years in the league, so why should he be able to start all the sudden?

Brown was just as bad as Lynch, but again it was what could be expected. Step was terrible in the first games last season and there is no reason to believe that Brown would do better.

Wells didn't play well, but I don't think he was as bad as many people on this board think. He was very solid in his pass protection but overmatched in the run game. I'll give him the benefit of doubt for now, because is very hard to play at a decent level, when you're playing next to a terrible player (believe me, I've tried). To me there's a huge difference between not getting enough push on the Goalline and missing the blocks completely.

Lots of trouble on the OL, but IMO 60% of that should be solved by Step's return and more playing time for Shipp. It wasn't a coincidence that the pass-protection was better in the 2nd quarter.
The remaining 40% can only be solved over time. It probably takes another 2-6 games before Brown starts to perform at an acceptable level (solid) and it'll also take a couple of games to knock the rust of Ross. Lecky and Step could happen, but Step would be replacing Brown not Wells.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
I don't think the O line will be OK. Brown played like a rookie as did the center. Stepnoski hasn't played at all this year. Ross, after playing very little in the preseaon, looked like a backup. I don't which one was worse, Ross or the real backup, Ian Allen. I still don't know why they kept Allen over Bridges.

The only hope for this O line is if Lechey and Stepnoski come back soon and Ross starts playing like everyone expected. Let Lechey play center and put Step at right guard until the hand fully heals, then switch them. Those are the five best players on that unit. Until these guys play, this offense isn't going to do much because the backup depth is a complete joke. Hell, I'd play Hayer over Allen any day of the week. I don't understand why the coaches think Ian Allen can play. He sucks!
Did we lure him out of retirement? :)

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
JJ takes it outside around the first defender, but then cuts back to the middle of the field to meet the safety. I think if he cut it outside he had a block by Fitz.

Attachments

• snapshot_j0000.jpg
    snapshot_j0000.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 106

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a shot of the 1st and Goal play. Shipp hit in the backfield. Horrible.

By the way, that was Brown getting burned by the Giant defender.

Attachments

• snapshot_j0001.jpg
    snapshot_j0001.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scott MS said:

if we had one of the Jones rb's he would do a cutback to the left and walk in. Femi and someone else had the end blocked off. Was in meant to go outside?

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Those pictures say it all. Look at the entire right side of the O line laying on their backs.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Scott MS said:

It sure looks like he had tons of room on the left over there. If you're going to crucify J.J. Arrington for not having a bird's-eye view of the field, then do the same for Marcel.

BTW, Marcel looked Emmitt Smith-like slow to the hole yesterday. He's definitely not back from the injury all the way, and he may never come all the way back.