I think the OL will be OK

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
Those pictures say it all. Look at the entire right side of the O line laying on their backs.

Look closer, Ross is on the right side and is doing a pancake block. I swear most posters on here have no idea what an oline is or what it does or when a player on the line does good or bad.

I played Oline for 5 years. You see 1 guy breakign through and all 5 did bad. The left outside is sealed up. The RG and C did awful but you throw "the entire right side". Not true,.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
if we had one of the Jones rb's he would do a cutback to the left and walk in. Femi and someone else had the end blocked off. Was in meant to go outside?
????
To cut it back, you have to go forward first. Shipp is hit as he goes forward, so it would be pretty hard to cut it back....

Gamefilm never lies.... Lynch and Brown killed that play

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Here's another shot of the 1st and goal off the Fox replay. You can see Brown getting rolled over by #70.

Attachments

• snapshot_j0003.jpg
    snapshot_j0003.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 101

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Look closer, Ross is on the right side and is doing a pancake block. I swear most posters on here have no idea what an oline is or what it does or when a player on the line does good or bad.

I played Oline for 5 years. You see 1 guy breakign through and all 5 did bad. The left outside is sealed up. The RG and C did awful but you throw "the entire right side". Not true,.

OK, let me rephrase. 75% of the right side muffed the play. Notice the steller block by the TE.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a screen capture of the 2 point conversion. Kind of blurry because the camera was moving, but disappointing that Bergen couldn't catch it.

Regardless, with 7:04 left in the 3rd, down by 2 points, how can you lose by 23 points?

Attachments

• snapshot_j0002.jpg
    snapshot_j0002.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 96

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BACH said:
????
To cut it back, you have to go forward first. Shipp is hit as he goes forward, so it would be pretty hard to cut it back....

Gamefilm never lies.... Lynch and Brown killed that play

Actually Shipp took 2 step forward after getting the handoff. He had decided where he was going regardless of what happens. Same as JJ, Jones, McElroy and all the rest.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Actually Shipp took 2 step forward after getting the handoff. He had decided where he was going regardless of what happens. Same as JJ, Jones, McElroy and all the rest.

Right now, I'd trade Marcel and J.J. to the Bears for Thomas Jones...

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
One more. Probably the worst offensive play of the day. This is on the drive where the Cards scored, but missed the 2 point conversion. Arrington gets the ball and is hit way in the backfield. That is Lynch totally missing his block.

Attachments

• snapshot_j0004.jpg
    snapshot_j0004.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 97

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
I thought after Lechey, Hayer did the best job of all the backup centers. Lynch has been horrible. Why isn't Hayer getting more time? He's better than Lynch and Allen.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
BTW I fully understand JJ should be given an extension after his current contract is up and a full 10 years to determine whether or not he is NFL caliber. As we found out with McCown, most cards fans feel a full decade is needed for evaluation. No one can be seen as bad until at leats 10 years of game film.

Oh, well.. as expected... your usual jump from less than sublime to totally ridiculous....

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This OL is like a sieve right now. #70 of the Giants should have been wearing a Cards jersey with a RB number for all the time he spent in our backfield.

Brown looked like a rookie. Lynch...sorry excuse for a center.

We could not even run the ball.

The only bright spot was that when Warner had some time he hooked up with his recievers.

Also, I would not want to be the special teams coach this morning nor would I want to be the guy who did not contain on the right end that allowed the Giants to run back that kickoff. Terrible, just terrible.

Luckly, it only counts as one loss. I think, being at home next week, the Cards will come out with a vengence and look to put a hurt on the Rams. If they don't come out with something to prove then it will be a long season.

BTW...I didn't think we would win in NY on the anniversary of 9-11 with the state of our OL. But, it was the way the wheels fell off in the 2nd half that upset me so much.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm afraid that Oliver Ross will be viewed as a free agent bust when this season is over.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
I agree and the pass blocking wasnt bad at all.

Youy have seen everything Arrington has to offer however. Thats as good as it will get for him I have a feeling. #70 of the giants weighs about 600 pounds and outran JJ and caught him from behind.

JJ is bar none the slowest RB I ever saw in a game.

Shipp should start except not play goaline. Seems k9 may have been right. He has no nose for the endzone.

So how much money are you willing to put on your claim that Arrington won't get better? You're seriously saying he'll never gain more than 5 yards in an NFL game?

My girlfriend's laptop appears to be dead so I'd be willing to take your money to buy a new one if you're really going to say that 5 rushing yards is the best we can expect from JJ.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
PACardsFan said:
I guess I'll have to be the voice of reason. Am I impressed with Arrington? HELL NO. But I'm not ready to write him off as a bust just yet. I do agree that if we don't see SOMETHING very soon that my expectations will evaporate to almost nothing. Good RB's usually come right out of the gate running. I haven't seen that yet & that is very disturbing. The Center position is the only reason I'll give JJ a break at this point. He's on a short leash!!!!!!

RB's arrive in the NFL ready to go. they do not get much better with experience. They get better with good blocking. I watched Cadillac Williams yesterday and I can see why he was drafted high. That guy can make holes where there are none. This was our first game and I have not given up the ghost yet but another game like this next week and I will say we are in deep do do!

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
So how much money are you willing to put on your claim that Arrington won't get better? You're seriously saying he'll never gain more than 5 yards in an NFL game?

My girlfriend's laptop appears to be dead so I'd be willing to take your money to buy a new one if you're really going to say that 5 rushing yards is the best we can expect from JJ.

Ill bet any amount you want that he will be labelled a bust by the time he is selling insurance.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Ill bet any amount you want that he will be labelled a bust by the time he is selling insurance.

That's not what I said and is a bit vague since you're not defining who has to label him a bust etc.

You said yesterday we saw the best of him, on a day he gained 5 yards.

What I'm asking is point blank do you really think he'll never gain more than 5 yards in an NFL game? If so I'll bet you the cost of a replacement Toshiba laptop for my girlfriend that at some point in his NFL career JJ will gain more than 5 yards in a single game.

I have no problem with someone saying he's overrated, he's not as fast as his 40 time etc, other things you've said. But saying we've seen the best of him when he gains 5 yards is either a massive exaggeration or nonsense.

FYI Julius Jones gained 16 yards in his NFL debut, against the vaunted Browns defense. Kevin Jones had 15 carries for 36 yards in his debut against the Bears. 2 games later he gained 8 yards against the Eagles, 2 games after that 5 against Green Bay, and then the memorable 12 carries for 20 yards game against Washington.

Yes elite RB"s like Edge or Cadillac can hit the ground running in the NFL it does happen, but there are a lot of very good NFL RB's who take some time to adjust to the NFL, especially when playing with a 5th string C and 2 young guards on the OL.

So you tell me, will he ever gain more than 5 yards?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
earthsci said:
I'm afraid that Oliver Ross will be viewed as a free agent bust when this season is over.

That was my initial impression. He was supposed to be this road grader type of lineman. Yet I watched a skinny Strahan bull rush him straight back to the QB. It was only one game but he hasn't done anything to impress me yet.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
That was my initial impression. He was supposed to be this road grader type of lineman. Yet I watched a skinny Strahan bull rush him straight back to the QB. It was only one game but he hasn't done anything to impress me yet.
Don't be too hard on Ross. The guy's coming off a knee injury and has barely practiced in training camp. He was also facing one of the top 5 players ever to play the position, and one of the top 3 at the position in the NFL today.

If Ross doesn't round into form by mid-season, I'll be on the boat with you, but I didn't think he'd be ready going into the game, and I wasn't overly disappointed.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Don't be too hard on Ross. The guy's coming off a knee injury and has barely practiced in training camp. He was also facing one of the top 5 players ever to play the position, and one of the top 3 at the position in the NFL today.

If Ross doesn't round into form by mid-season, I'll be on the boat with you, but I didn't think he'd be ready going into the game, and I wasn't overly disappointed.
I hope that you are right. It will be a costly mistake if he doesn't work out.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

I'm not throwing him in the trash just yet. I had concerns when we signed him that he was a one hit wonder. Just saying that he hasn't impressed me much yet. I'm willing to give him a couple more games to prove he is worth what we gave him.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

he is also one of the strongest linemen in the league. I thought Ross was alright for the first game. Of course that one play where he got run over was terrible, but Strahan is a great player. Great players make great plays.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
I want to see Hayer as the primary backup. Cut Lynch and let Hayer play center if Step and Leckey can't go.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
I'm not throwing him in the trash just yet. I had concerns when we signed him that he was a one hit wonder. Just saying that he hasn't impressed me much yet. I'm willing to give him a couple more games to prove he is worth what we gave him.

I was worried about this matchup last week, but got shouted down by the board. Next week, Ross will be up against Leonard Little, which will be a much more interesting test, since he's much more of a one-dimensional player.

If he's going to be forced to pass block 45 times a game, it's not going to matter, because he was good last year only pass blocking 17 times a game for Roethlisberger.