If Leinart is not avail.. who is the next QB to take?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Knowing our luck we won't be in position to take Leinart so I wanted to get an idea of who you guys thought would be the next best QB to take. Any links would be helpful.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Brady Quinn.....

I think its unlikely he comes out but if he starts getting consensus love as the number two pick (which means his agent will tell him he will get #1 money) and then goes to the combine "just to get a feel" thats bad news for weis and company.....Physically he is off the charts (even better than Lienert) and playing under weis has caused his value to sky rocket.....If hes there we should grab him although Wies will be in his ear about being the number one pick next year and bringing ND a title.....

If it happens (and ive been assured it will) we should draft Chris Leak in the second round if/when he comes out. Get Bush or Ferguson depending whose there and then draft Leak whose value has plummetted with his new coach. He is a tall, strong armed pocket passer, who has been screwed up by Meyers stupid system. There was talk of him being top 5 and Heisman before the year started if he played to projections. UF's loss could be our big time gain. I liken it to the LT and Brees draft the Chargers had a couple years ago...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on who comes out but right now most seem to have Omar Jacobs and Drew Stanton as juniors likely to come out who are first round picks. Jay Cutler and Charlie Whitehurst are seniors rated behind Leinart and probably behind Jacobs and Stanton. If I had to guess I'd say Stanton turns out being the 2nd QB picked he's got the size and arm and Jacobs has such a weird motion when he throws I think he'll scare scouts a bit. I've only seen Stanton once and he had a bad game(Northwestern) but the arm is obvious and he's a good athlete.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's looking more and more like we will have a Top 5 pick. If Leinart isn't there......no other QB even comes close to being a Top 5 First Round Pick.

Omar Jacobs, maybe. The more I watch this kid play, the more I think he won't make it as a pro. He just doesn't dominate a Mid Major conference the way Roethlisberger did.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The only QB I really like in College football is Brady Quinn.

Other than that Leinart is certainly good and I'd take him if I were there but I just don't know about paying several picks to get to him.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
It's looking more and more like we will have a Top 5 pick. If Leinart isn't there......no other QB even comes close to being a Top 5 First Round Pick.

Omar Jacobs, maybe. The more I watch this kid play, the more I think he won't make it as a pro. He just doesn't dominate a Mid Major conference the way Roethlisberger did.

No I didn't mean who else to take in the top 5. I mean in general.. whether that be the second or third round. I agree.. there is no other QB I would dare take in the top 5.

As for the other post about Leak.. ehh... I don't like his game for some reason. He seems a little awkward to me. I don't know what it is.. maybe it is the whole Florida Qb's thing, but I would definetly stay away.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
clif said:
No I didn't mean who else to take in the top 5. I mean in general.. whether that be the second or third round. I agree.. there is no other QB I would dare take in the top 5.

As for the other post about Leak.. ehh... I don't like his game for some reason. He seems a little awkward to me. I don't know what it is.. maybe it is the whole Florida Qb's thing, but I would definetly stay away.

I would make a trade for Schaub, Rivers, Volek......in that order of who I want most.

spanky1

Reaction score
clif said:

clif,

I agree with you re: Chris Leak. If he does declare this year he won't be picked up until round four at the earliest, but he should really stay for his final year.

His measurables are not great.....whoever said he was tall is wrong....6'1" at best if he inhales and stretches himself out.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
I mentioned Brady Quinn the other day and somebody half-flamed me for it. Said something like "Can you say Tim Couch?"

Brady Quinn is (IMHO) going to be a bonafide star in the NFL. Especially if he stays in for one more year of learning under Charlie Weis.

But to answer your question, D.J. Shockley from Georgia.

Seems to have all the tools, I love watching him play.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
clif,

I agree with you re: Chris Leak. If he does declare this year he won't be picked up until round four at the earliest, but he should really stay for his final year.

His measurables are not great.....whoever said he was tall is wrong....6'1" at best if he inhales and stretches himself out.

I think that is part of it. He just seems too short for my taste. That was one thing that really bugged me about Shaun King. I hate those 6'0" to 6'1" and under type Qb's.. ala... Doug Flutie.. They just bug me to no end.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
I mentioned Brady Quinn the other day and somebody half-flamed me for it. Said something like "Can you say Tim Couch?"

Brady Quinn is (IMHO) going to be a bonafide star in the NFL. Especially if he stays in for one more year of learning under Charlie Weis.

YIKES!!!!.. NO way!!!.. He sends vibes of a one year wonder where the one year wasn't even a full year.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
clif said:
YIKES!!!!.. NO way!!!.. He sends vibes of a one year wonder where the one year wasn't even a full year.

C'mon Clif. Have you seen him play? Yes, this is his first full year as a starter.

He was only out one game.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
C'mon Clif. Have you seen him play? Yes, this is his first full year as a starter.

He was only out one game.

I have had the unfortuate luck of seeing quite a few Georgia games this year. (for some reason they seem to be the marquee team on ESPN every other week).. I just don't know what it is.. he just doesn't wow me. IMO college players with thoughts of being future NFL players have to stand out and just look like men among boys.. I don't get that from him or alot of players. Players like Leinart.. Bush.. White... Young... etc... they just look like they are on another level.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quinn should not be touched. i love him and have watched almost every Penn State and ND game this year. But Quinn can kiss Weis's feet for making him a winner. He wont be much of a pro imo.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Quinn should not be touched. i love him and have watched almost every Penn State and ND game this year. But Quinn can kiss Weis's feet for making him a winner. He wont be much of a pro imo.

I agree swd. I'm not feeling him. I get flashbacks of Cade McNown when I think of him.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:

I heard someone else say it and I tend to agree, Quinn is a product of the system he is playing in. I'm not sure how well he'll do otherwise. Just my opinion. I also think the same thing about Lienhart, again I could be wrong, just thinking that while observing them play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
blindseyed said:
I heard someone else say it and I tend to agree, Quinn is a product of the system he is playing in. I'm not sure how well he'll do otherwise. Just my opinion. I also think the same thing about Lienhart, again I could be wrong, just thinking that while observing them play.

The thing that scares you about Quinn is the "kyle boller" effect. Kid in another system completely different player in a new system. On the one hand you say he's improved each year 47% to 54% to 66% this year, but you have to wonder is he just in a system that makes him look better?

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
The thing that scares you about Quinn is the "kyle boller" effect. Kid in another system completely different player in a new system. On the one hand you say he's improved each year 47% to 54% to 66% this year, but you have to wonder is he just in a system that makes him look better?

The thing that irks me about the whole Quinn situation (kinda irrelevant to his draft stock) is that we will never know how good he was going to be under Willingham. Everyone claims that he is so much better under Weis and that it is Weis that will make this guy a first round pick. I personally think that is a slap in the face to Willingham. Ty recruited him and had his when he was at his rawest. AS you pointed out the kid has been improving every year, but only now is he considered a good Qb when the infallable Weis showed up. :mad:

To be clear.. I don't think there is any doubt that Weis is a Qb guru, but geez give the guy that recruited him some credit.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
dreamcastrocks said:
Yep,

Leinart, Vick, Young in that order.

I would go Leinart, Young, Vick if we were forced to pick from those three.

Otherwise I would not pick Young to be Qb.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
The thing that irks me about the whole Quinn situation (kinda irrelevant to his draft stock) is that we will never know how good he was going to be under Willingham. Everyone claims that he is so much better under Weis and that it is Weis that will make this guy a first round pick. I personally think that is a slap in the face to Willingham. Ty recruited him and had his when he was at his rawest. AS you pointed out the kid has been improving every year, but only now is he considered a good Qb when the infallable Weis showed up. :mad:

To be clear.. I don't think there is any doubt that Weis is a Qb guru, but geez give the guy that recruited him some credit.

Agreed I think it's great the job Weis is doing but he's winning with Willingham's players so far. He's found a way to get more out of the offense than Ty did.

I was pretty outspoken at the time I didn't like the firing of Ty I know from his Stanford days he's a good coach and better person and I think Notre Dame ignored that. ANd the stupid thing was they fired him so they could hire Urban Meyer, not Weis.

But you can't argue with the outcome so far. I do feel ND fans forget Ty went 10-3 his first year at Notre Dame, Weis is not the only guy who can come in and win with inherited talent.

I'm a big Willingham guy there was a time I was touting him for the Cards HC job although I no longer feel that way, Ty seems to be a college coach not an NFL coach.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Agreed I think it's great the job Weis is doing but he's winning with Willingham's players so far. He's found a way to get more out of the offense than Ty did.

I was pretty outspoken at the time I didn't like the firing of Ty I know from his Stanford days he's a good coach and better person and I think Notre Dame ignored that. ANd the stupid thing was they fired him so they could hire Urban Meyer, not Weis.

But you can't argue with the outcome so far. I do feel ND fans forget Ty went 10-3 his first year at Notre Dame, Weis is not the only guy who can come in and win with inherited talent.

I'm a big Willingham guy there was a time I was touting him for the Cards HC job although I no longer feel that way, Ty seems to be a college coach not an NFL coach.

Yeah.. you are part of a very small contigent..this guy did a pretty good job and seemed to have his players on the verge of being good. He gets axed and now Lord Weis comes to save the program. I think Weis is obviously very good at x's and o's, but Ty has gotten zero credit for buying the groceries.

I still would have liked to have had him come in as OC this year, but I think he enjoys molding the younger players in to men.

redbirdofwar

Reaction score
If Leinart is gone before we pick we should fix the lines. Maybe my memory sucks but I can't remember the Cards D line giving up as many big runs as we have this year. With the draft being deep at the tackle position I think we should go with someone like Ngata in the first, grab our QB of the future in the second (Cutler, Whitehurst or Stanton) and use the rest of the draft on the o-line and D-line for depth (BPA).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
Yeah.. you are part of a very small contigent..this guy did a pretty good job and seemed to have his players on the verge of being good. He gets axed and now Lord Weis comes to save the program. I think Weis is obviously very good at x's and o's, but Ty has gotten zero credit for buying the groceries.

I still would have liked to have had him come in as OC this year, but I think he enjoys molding the younger players in to men.

That's what I mean by he's a college coach not an NFL coach. I am sure he'll turn it around at UW.

And I'm sure Weis won't be walking on water his entire career at ND he's done a fabulous job and is supposedly recruiting quite well, but I'd be surprised if he coaches out his entire contract, ND only extended him because the rumors were flying that he had an option to get out of his contract in one season and take an NFL job if he chose to. ND realized that was going to impact recruiting so they jumped all over it and Weis being a bright guy took the money.