If Leinart is not avail.. who is the next QB to take?

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
Omar Jacobs, maybe. The more I watch this kid play, the more I think he won't make it as a pro. He just doesn't dominate a Mid Major conference the way Roethlisberger did.

He hasnt dominated the MAC?

He broke every BG and some MAC passing records last year.

Led the nation is points responsible for (22.5)
MAC record 45 TDs
2nd in the nation in yards per game (358.5)
4,002 yards passing was the second highest total in the country
3rd nationally in passing efficiency (165.47)
Completed 309 of 462 passes (66.9%)
41 TDs to four interceptions thrown was the best ratio in NCAA IA history
Completed a school-record 224 passes without an interception during the season

This year he has been hurt, but still having a nice season

170-278 - 61.2%
2,276 yards
23 TDs
7 INT

That is a 152.19 QB rating in 8 of 10 games

The question is can he throw the deep ball and can he play under center in a pro style offense.

Sorry I go to BG so I had to stand up for the man. However, I can see him dropping to the 2nd if he come sout this year (which he should). It all depends on the combine and workouts.

Grand Canon

Rookie
Reaction score
Forgetting Hackney

Darrell Hackney of UAB talent wise is better than all of the guys except Quinn, Young and Leinhart- he is a smaller version of Culpepper which is why Denny will love him and draft him -

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Pariah said:
If not Lienart, Vick.

If not Vick, Jacobs.

If not Jacobs, Quinn.

I've watched Vick, Jacobs and Lienart. Lienart is by far the one that I would want. Vick has a chance, but I wouldn't take him in the first round. After watching his horrible performance against Miami I don't really want to take a chance on him. Jacobs isn't good enough to take in the first three rounds. I just went over his last game (Bowling Green VS Miami Ohio) and I was not impressed at all. I have not went over tapes of Quinn yet, so I can't give much of an opinion on him yet.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snakester said:
I've watched Vick, Jacobs and Lienart. Lienart is by far the one that I would want. Vick has a chance, but I wouldn't take him in the first round. After watching his horrible performance against Miami I don't really want to take a chance on him. Jacobs isn't good enough to take in the first three rounds. I just went over his last game (Bowling Green VS Miami Ohio) and I was not impressed at all. I have not went over tapes of Quinn yet, so I can't give much of an opinion on him yet.

To be fair to Jacobs he was playing hurt against Miami Ohio and in a driving wind and rainstorm. The opponent QB threw 5 picks himself to 3 for Jacobs.

But he has such a weird motion that's what I don't like about Jacobs.

FYI the guy in that game who intrigues me is Martin Nance, appears to be fully recovered from ACL surgery, 14 TD catches this year, 6'5" 215, WR obviously isn't a need for us but if his knee causes him to slip in the draft would be a heck of a steal in say round 3.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point it appears that Leinart is the only for sure first round pick. That can change depending on who may come out. The only junior that I could see the Cardinals picking on the first round would be Young. He has the size, arm strength and speed that Danny loves. Some on the board though have said that he is another Kordell Stewart. However, he said he is staying and few if any U of Texas come out early. Unless Leinart is there, I don't see the Cards drafting a qb with their low pick. I think they will resign Warner and perhaps draft somone on round two that they really like. I'm clueless on who that could be. :shrug:

Reaction score
Stout said:
Michael Robinson as QBOF :D :p
Hey Stout and swd,

Living in Arizona and being a Penn State homer is tough!!! I havn't seen a single Penn State game on TV all year (stupid Pac 10 :D ). Listening on XM radio just isn't the same as seeing it...

So how has Robinson looked at QB this year??? I actually think that JoePa should have started Robinson last year, if not the year before, over Zach. In your opinion does Robinson have what it takes to play on Sundays??? As a QB or as Slash II??? Of maybe even beef up and play TE?? Kid is obviously a hell of an athlete!

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Vince Young and Whitehurst are my choices. I would love to get Vince, he's my boy. How about McNeal? I don't rally like him, but he is very athletic and has put up really good numbers.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charlie Whitehurst, Clemson, will be a pro QB for about 15 years.
Chris Leak will flop. Too short. Raggedy arm. Makes bad throws.
Jay Cutler is #3.
Brady Quinn. Nah.
Brodie Croyle, Alabama. Could be very good.
Paul Pinegar , Fresno State, has got the goods.
Brad Smith , Missouri would be a steal after 2nd round.
Quinto Porter Boston College is a good one.
DJ Shockley will change positions to play in NFL. Great athlete. One year QB. Too small.

Just MHO. I love College ball.

There may not be any great ones, but a bunch of good ones and the NFL is getting desperate.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
Hey Stout and swd,

Living in Arizona and being a Penn State homer is tough!!! I havn't seen a single Penn State game on TV all year (stupid Pac 10 :D ). Listening on XM radio just isn't the same as seeing it...

So how has Robinson looked at QB this year??? I actually think that JoePa should have started Robinson last year, if not the year before, over Zach. In your opinion does Robinson have what it takes to play on Sundays??? As a QB or as Slash II??? Of maybe even beef up and play TE?? Kid is obviously a hell of an athlete!

I managed to see a few games. This guy is a bigger version of Randle El. He might be a little slim to put on enough weight at TE (217), but maybe not. He's certainly not NFL QB material. He makes plays, but he's not a good passing QB (has the arm but not the QB brain). He's a guy you draft and put at another position. FS, anyone? :D

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Fresno Sate plays USC it could be interesting to compare Paul Pinegar and Matt Leinhart head to head.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
To be fair to Jacobs he was playing hurt against Miami Ohio and in a driving wind and rainstorm. The opponent QB threw 5 picks himself to 3 for Jacobs.

But he has such a weird motion that's what I don't like about Jacobs.

FYI the guy in that game who intrigues me is Martin Nance, appears to be fully recovered from ACL surgery, 14 TD catches this year, 6'5" 215, WR obviously isn't a need for us but if his knee causes him to slip in the draft would be a heck of a steal in say round 3.

I thought Nance looked very good as well. If he was there in the third round then yea, I agree with you. We take him as best player available.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Being that this is a message board of mostly opinions, I wish there was some way we could "fast forward" if you will to see who said what, who was right, who said something ridiculous, etc.

It's just my opinion, but those of you that don't like Brady Quinn or see him as having a future in the NFL are dead wrong. Brady Quinn will have the greatest NFL future of all of the quarterbacks in THIS year's draft, with the exception maybe of Leinart.

System quarterback my butt. If playing good football and winning games is a "system", than yeah I guess he is. Willingham may have recruited him but Weis is a better coach. Weis took a good player and made him better. Brady Quinn wouldn't be as good as he is right now if Willingham was still the coach.

Just my opinion.

Vince Young will be an incredible bust.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Wow. I just re-read that and I damn sure didn't mean it to sound as harsh as it does. Sorry about that.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Some coach will be brilliant if he drafts Young and converts him to WR a la Matt Jones, who BTW, was a much better pure QB. I still think Jones can play QB in the NFL.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:

I agree that Vince Young, the QB, will be a bust. I think he has a great future in the league if he switches positions. He's most likely going to stay in college an extra year, if he shows marked improvement then I'll be willing to change my stance.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Some coach will be brilliant if he drafts Young and converts him to WR a la Matt Jones, who BTW, was a much better pure QB. I still think Jones can play QB in the NFL.

He's been doing pretty good as a WR lately, he's really starting to come on. Man, that guy's just a freak or nature.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billy Flynt said:
Can you say Akili Smith II?

That's an easy one.

Can you say, "she sells sea shells by the sea shore"

cardsfan22

Rookie
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
I mentioned Brady Quinn the other day and somebody half-flamed me for it. Said something like "Can you say Tim Couch?"

Brady Quinn is (IMHO) going to be a bonafide star in the NFL. Especially if he stays in for one more year of learning under Charlie Weis.

But to answer your question, D.J. Shockley from Georgia.

Seems to have all the tools, I love watching him play.

That was me who said that. I am not sold o Quinn but i agree if he goes back for his senior year and shows he can do it over a couple of years then we will see.I dont like taking one year wonders in the first round.

I agree with Shockley.to me,he will be this years Jason Campbell.He will rise into the late First round early second. Mark Richet said he thinks Shockley is the best NFL ready QB he has coached.He wanted to start Shockley when he got to Georgia but David Green just would not let go of the starting job.

And I know that Shockley is in his first year starting but the program is very different. Georgia has been in the hunt for a Chapionship the last three years.

But that is only If Young and Vick do not come out.

cardsfan22

Rookie
Reaction score
I am amazed at how many people think Young will be bust. I think he is better then Vick. Much,much better then Vick. and I am talking about Mike Vick.
He has a cannon for an arm. Nice mechanics. Can throw from almost any body angle. The best playmaker in College Football,and that includes Reggie Bush.
He throws the ball so smoothly,he looks like he does not even try. He reminds me of Daunte Cullpepper, If he is there,I dont think there is anyway Denny passes on Vince Young.

On another note. I cant wait till we dont have to talk about darft picks till after the season. The fact that we have to talk about this after week 10 is a joke

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05