if we assume mcginnis is gone at some point this season...guess on replacement..

pinnacle

Reaction score
The NFL has some hot buttons..and of them is having more minority head coaches. The highest profile available minority head coach who is not employed: Dennis green. However...if the cardinals were interested - speculation is that green would not coach here. He wants total control, etc. - which is not going to happen with graves here. If..and a big if...the cardinals decided green was their man - and if he was not being pursued by another team (which is very possible) - I would bet that calls will be made from the NFL office to try and get green to take the job here. If this team is completely awful this season - this is the most we could expect the NFL to do..

I could see the cardinals having a high level of interest in green - although he would not be my choice.

OP
OP
P

pinnacle

Reaction score
Seems Green lives in California..west coast guy. Of the west coast teams - San Diego may be in the market for a head coach before long..The two bay area coaches will probably get one more season - but green is connected to the san francisco organization - but if they wanted him - they could have hired him last season...He has a website at:

http://www.dennisgreen.com

He has a radio program on the chargers...that would seem like the logical place for him if he gets back into coaching - and if they send marty packing - which they might..

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Green is ok but not my choice either. I want a disiplinarian for once. My spelling is getting bad :( anyone look into a spell checker yet?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Art Shell or Ray Rhodes would both be good, but I say bring in Ditka, or we could pull a Jacksonville and give Mike Singeltary the job.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
I am all for hiring minority coaches IF that coach is the best out there. Look at what Parcells has done with a team that was not as good asCardinals.
People keep saying that we don't have the talent. Damn, the cowboys had less talent. Look WTF they're doing now! The coach DOES make a difference. The players have to know that it is a coach that is proven to respond to him. Otherwise it's the "man I make more money then this dude" syndrone.

I say bring Jimmy Johnson out of retirement. He has more left then Parcells.

Why can't this happen? Believe me he sees what Parcells is doing to his team. He has huevos. If Graves appoaches him with something like "gee, I don't know if anyone can turn this sh@* around but your name came up and give him everything he needs to do it, it can be done. I'm not too sure how his hairspray will hold up in the heat but deal with it.

When this team went with Buddy Ryan I was surprised. Of course he ended up taking care of family business but damn, that's it? Come the freak on! You have to do your homework and give it another shot. We're not going anywhere now.

At least Buddy made it interesting.

Oh and one more thing. A coaching change cuts the crap out of the coaching staff and mediocre players. Produce or get the freak outta here!

An organization that made quit a few changes (final freaking ly) is worse then it was. Where do we place the blame now?

Cut to the freaking chase and do whatever it takes to get Jimmy in here (and back off and let him do his job!)

BigRed

Cardinals for Life
Reaction score
Face it. With Bidwills rep no respected coach is going to take this job. Forget the big names and look a little harder for talent.

OP
OP
P

pinnacle

Reaction score
what scares me is who we brought in this past season for the OC job...The only guy I recall that we brought in from the outside was some guy who for like 1 season was the oc for the panthers...but was either fired or quite - it was kind of a mystery why he was gone after a short stint..he was a relatively young guy - but his track record was not that good.. We then offered the job to sullivan - who at first did not want it - although it was a big promotion for him. I am ok with sullivan - but it is not like we brought in some top candidates.. Perhaps with a head coach it will be different..

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Interim Head Coach will be Hank Kuhlman. He filled in after we dumped Stallings, I'm betting Bidwill will ask him to do it again.

I can not see a proven coach ever coming here.

Not only are we a laughingstock of an orgainization, but our head coach is also one of the lowest paid.

Not a good combination in my mind.

Go Cards!!!

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Is this who we want??? or Who we think will be hired???

Who I want (in no particular order):

1. Monty Kiffon(sp)
2. Gary Kubiak
3. Jimmy Johnson
4. Bob Stoops
5. Don Coryell (he's still alive right?)
6. Dennis Green
7. Tom Coughlin
8. Dan Reeves or Marty Schottenheimer if they are fired.

Who I think will be hired (also in no particular order):

1. Vince Tobin
2. Larry Marmie
3. Jerry Sullivan
4. Dave Campo
5. The Cardinal coach from "Jerry MacGuire"

Keep in mind that I really hate two of the guys on MY wish list, and don't think there is any chance in hell they will be hired. Stoops serves two purposes for me. Improve the Cards, and get OK back to the point were UT is spanking them every year, like it should be. :D

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think it's helpful to speculate on a new regime. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd like to see us wake up on a few more remaining Monday mornings this season reading about a Cardinal win.

The more we talk now about "who's gonna be the next coach" adds to the poisonous atmosphere and undermines that possibility.

(That doesn't mean we're not all thinking about it - I just think we'd do more good not talking about it so much).

There will be plenty of time for that as the season nears an end.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Mean Joe gets it, and then gets fired at the end of the year. In the mean time, Graves starts to probe around the league as well as Coughlin and Denny searching for anyone with interest in the job.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
IT IS MORE LIKELY THAT IT WILL SNOW IN PHOENIX IN JULY THEN GREEN, COUGHLIN, STOOPS, WILLINGHAM, REEVES, KUBIAK, KIFFIN, ETC EVER COME TO COACH THIS TEAM!

Try looking at the defensive backs coach from the Giants, or the offesnive coordinator from Troy St, or the Defensive line coach from the Steelers, or the running backs coach from Cal State Fullerton...those are the types that would be willing to lose their career at one shot to be a head coach!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
I don't think it's helpful to speculate on a new regime. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd like to see us wake up on a few more remaining Monday mornings this season reading about a Cardinal win.

The more we talk now about "who's gonna be the next coach" adds to the poisonous atmosphere and undermines that possibility.

(That doesn't mean we're not all thinking about it - I just think we'd do more good not talking about it so much).

There will be plenty of time for that as the season nears an end.

do you honestly beleive any of OUR actions have ANY effect on the rest of the season? sheesh, this team had our support from day one of the season (like all seasons) and this is what they gave us: an UGLY 1-4. can it get worse than it already is? i see a 2-14 year, and i don't even know where that other win is coming from . . .

(ok, honestly, we'll go 3-13)

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinnacle
I would bet that calls will be made from the NFL office to try and get green to take the job here. If this team is completely awful this season - this is the most we could expect the NFL to do..

And if true then what is the difference between what Rush said and what the NFL would try to do?

Hire the best person regardless of race. Period. End of Story.

OP
OP
P

pinnacle

Reaction score
As I have stated before - I was a raider season ticket holder while Shell was the coach in LA. In fact...My season tickets started in his first year and I moved to arizona in his last year as head coach - so he was the head coach for my entire tenure as a season ticket holder of the Raiders.

The play calling under Art was painfully conservative - it was 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Art was a very quite guy - the complete opposite of Mcginnis. The teams were decent - but not great - and in hindsight they had some pretty good talent. At the time I thought he was not a very good coach - most people just assumed he was a yes man/puppett for al davis. Reflecting back on it - not sure that was accurate.. after watching the Cardinals for 9 years - it kind of changes your perspective on things. Fans and people expected the raiders to be winners - Art did ok. I heard people comment that he was not the sharpest tool in the shed - not sure that is true either...If you wanted a comment from the raider organization - it came from davis...Personally, I think we need a stronger personality - that will press ownership for changes - but then again - we do have a strong personality coach...

Just giving you my art shell comments..will have to think about it. I would have said no way a few years ago - but my mind could be changed..

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I have stated before - I was a raider season ticket holder while Shell was the coach in LA. In fact...My season tickets started in his first year and I moved to arizona in his last year as head coach - so he was the head coach for my entire tenure as a season ticket holder of the Raiders.

The play calling under Art was painfully conservative - it was 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Art was a very quite guy - the complete opposite of Mcginnis. The teams were decent - but not great - and in hindsight they had some pretty good talent. At the time I thought he was not a very good coach - most people just assumed he was a yes man/puppett for al davis. Reflecting back on it - not sure that was accurate.. after watching the Cardinals for 9 years - it kind of changes your perspective on things. Fans and people expected the raiders to be winners - Art did ok. I heard people comment that he was not the sharpest tool in the shed - not sure that is true either...If you wanted a comment from the raider organization - it came from davis...Personally, I think we need a stronger personality - that will press ownership for changes - but then again - we do have a strong personality coach...

Just giving you my art shell comments..will have to think about it. I would have said no way a few years ago - but my mind could be changed..

Offenses have "changed" alot since he was a HC and everything would hinge on the OC he brings in with him. You still must be able to run the ball so the conservative style is still viable and necessary...as long as you combine that with the high tech passing game.

No coach that will possibly challenge ownership around here will be considered. The Bidwills/Graves will steer clear of anyone who will challenge them or even rock the boat a small amount since in the picture of the NFL, they cannot swim very well.

At this point I would take decent and be very pleased with it. This cards team is so far from decent that they cannot even see it. Shell has been able to take teams and win games...including a couple playoff games.

The Cards will have no choice but to think outside the box. Green, Coughlin, Johnson and those types will not come here...no way no how. One problem is whether or not Shell even desires to get back into coaching. I know he is doing analysis and writing for nfl.com. He may have no desire to coach again for all I know.

OP
OP
P

pinnacle

Reaction score
AZCB34:

I would agree green and johnson would probably say no- not so sure about coughlin - I do not think he will get many other chances...

Jurecki mentioned today on the radio that he thought mac would finish the season... He said one of the obstacles to firing him is that his staff is so loyal that none of them would take over on an interim basis.. Jurecki said that if the cardinals made a change in the offseason - look for them to go hard after a disciplinarian...the one thing they do not like about mac (according to MJ) was his lake of being a disciplinarian. Kind of a pattern..buddy - loudmouth..vince tobin..extremely quite..macginnis - players coach, very outgoing...next..... could be interest in coughlin..he is a hard ass - may fit the style they are looking for.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
not so sure about coughlin - I do not think he will get many other chances... could be interest in coughlin..he is a hard ass - may fit the style they are looking for.

Pinnacle:

Tom Coughlin's already had other chances. He was the 2nd choice in Cincinnati, losing out to Marvin Lewis, and turned down an offer to join Parcells in Dallas. After all, he's making $2.5 million a season not to coach, based on his Jacksonville contract. He's waiting for the right opportunity.

That said, the Cardinals could get him if they wanted him. And they should. Coughlin would be right for this team on many levels. Pete Prisco's 9/04/03 article for SportsLine.com had some good insights:

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6616212

>>Tom Coughlin might have had his faults, including his abrasive style with both the media and his players, but one thing about him is certain: He can coach.

"I want to be an NFL head coach again," Coughlin said this week. "I'm not going to say I wouldn't be interested in the right college job, but I want to be in the NFL again... "

It's that same desire that led him to travel to four training camps this summer, even though he was paid nothing to do so...

In his eight seasons with the Jaguars, Coughlin compiled a 68-60 record and took the team to two AFC Championship games, losing both. He essentially built the team from scratch... Some theorized it was all too much, that Coughlin spread himself too thin. Yet he worked tirelessly to make his team a success...

The reality is that some of his personnel decisions might have actually been his undoing as a head coach. That's why he now says that he'd be more than willing to work with a general manager in his next job...

The one thing I notice when traveling around the league and observing practices is that Coughlin's were as good as any coach's in the league. They were organized, detailed and run with precision.

During the past year, a handful of ex-Jaguars players who now play for other teams have commented on how much they now appreciate Coughlin. Some are guys who didn't come close to liking him when they were playing for the man.

"You really do come to admire the way he did things," said one player. "He may have busted our butts, and he could be a total ass at times, but he was a good football coach. That's more than I can say for a lot of guys in this league, including the guy I play for."<<

I don't see anybody else out there with Coughlin's track record of success. I think this franchise would be lucky to have him. The only obstacle I can see is Bidwill's willingness to pay him what he's worth.

WC

OP
OP
P

pinnacle

Reaction score
wild card...thanks for the info..I guess by other chances - I did not think he had received a head coach job offer anywhere.. I had remembered that he was close in cincy..and I figured if he went on record as saying he would take that job (not sure if he did or not - since he interviewed I assume he would have taken it) - then perhaps he would come here.

Where else could he go..trying to look at bad teams that would need a coach after this season...

bears...rumor is they are hot to trot for nick saban.
herman edwards jets - no way they let him go - too many injuries and lost players..so he stays.
chargers..I think they would be all over dennis green...
saints..no clue..
falcons - probably evaluate reeves with vick in the lineup.

Good news is that some bottom dwellers like Bengals, jacksonville, Lions got new coaches for this season...so there may not be a ton of opportunities.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been screaming Coughlin's name on every thread I could. I watched this coach at every level. He was an assistant with Syracuse, HC at Boston College, assistant under Parcells with the Giants & HC with the Jags. He flat out is a great coach. A hard-ass like Parcells, but a WINNER. WHY WOULD WE EVER THINK OF ART SHELL?????? Don't you think that if he was HC material, that SOMEONE would have given him a 2nd chance. He's an average assistant at best. If Coughlin isn't available, our next best choice would be George O'Leary. Look what he's done with Minnesota's D this year. He's another tough coach that would bring discipline to this franchise. These are the 2 BEST options out there. Coughlin would be my 1st choice, but O'Leary is a close 2nd. REGARDLESS OF WHAT'S BEING SAID ON THIS BOARD, BOTH OF THESE GUYS WOULD TAKE THE JOB. If we drag our feet, they will both be gone, trust me.

OP
OP
P

pinnacle

Reaction score
it is amazing regarding o'leary...they essentially took a few guys off of the scrap heap of the NFL - no expensive top flight free agents (everyone thought claiborne was a bust in Detroit) and they are a good defense..

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
Jurecki mentioned today on the radio that he thought mac would finish the season...

Here is the problem I see with waiting until the end of the season.
After the season plays out there will be more teams looking for a head coach. More competition for this organization that we don't need.

We need a coach like Parcells that takes crappy teams and makes them winners. There aren't many. Very few actually. Which is why we need to act now.

We don't need the competition.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I heard Graves really likes the coach on "Playmakers".Actually 2 guys i think may be considered are Marv Levy and Ditka. Did Graves have any association with Ditka while in Chicago?Those 2 and Coughlin are the guys i'd put at the top of the Cards list. Those are not my top choices but guys i think the Cards will look at,especially if they want someone to come in kick the players in the ass.

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
I am in full agreement that we need changes in the coaching staff BUT I don't think it's the head coach and I don't think it's the OC. I think one of the biggest problems with this organization has been a quick trigger finger. Mac got somewhat of a bye last year because of the massive amount of injuries, I think everyone agreed on that prior to the season starting?

This year Mac's got 2 rookies starting at reciever, a new fullback, HAD a new running back, new QB, and has the starting O-line played a full game together?

On defense? He lost 2 starters before the season started, the D-line has been a never ending project for years, and our corners, well no need to even comment. Can Mac be held accountable for the woes on defense? I think not! At the very worst he's guilty of being loyal to his coaches, especially on the defensive side of the ball BUT isn't that an admirable quality in this "it's someone elses fault" day?

On to the "Grave" plan. First the salary cap since that seems to be a HUGE sticker for everyone, did anyone really think that when the Cardinals said they would chip in for the stadium that they had the money in hand? They've been playing in a college stadium for how long? Folks that money has got to come from somewhere. It's my belief that had all those free agents that we were pursueing said yes at the same time Mr. Graves would have had some serious explaining to do. I look for us to be 10 million or more under the cap this time next year also. I'm not saying that it's right BUT I believe that is what Philly has been doing for several years now, the difference, it worked for them.

In summary, this is a rebuilding year. The problem with that? We're in a never ending rebuilding year! I understand the frustration, I understand the impatience, for gods sake I'm a fan too! People, we just gutted the team, I don't want to go through it again!

Graves should stay where he's at for atleast 3 years, dispite the outcome, he deserves the time to make it happen. Mac should stay on board UNLESS when the season is over he is unwilling to make changes to his staff.

I have plenty more to say but I have a feeling I'm gonna get flamed the way it is. For the record I am not a Kool Aid kid.

FLAME AWAY!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05