If we truely use the BPA theory...

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Then Mario Williams should be our pick (if he is there at 10). Wow!

Did you guys see his game against South Florida? I know USF as anything but a top tier program, but this guy was an absolute monster. All I could think of was wow he truely is a "man among boys".

Whoever compared his freakish abilities to Peppers was dead on. The guy can get after the passer and he impressed me with his instincts. A couple times USF tried to fool him into overrunning the play.... ah...NOT! While possessing great pass rush abilities he also seemed to hold his own in run downs.

If you ever get a chance to go back and watch the tape..DO IT! I also like his running make Tralock (sp?)

I know this is not neccessarily a position of need, but man we would look great spelling Okeafor and Berry for a year or so and if those two start to tail off this guy can step right in.

You never can have enough guys to rush the passer.

Every single player (with the exception of Reggie Bush) has IMO an "equal" who can be had in the later rounds.. (ie Ngata..Wright...Watson, or Cutler, Whitehurst, Croyle)

This guy is on another level. Imagine Pendy letting this guy run wild on the outside. I consider him a game changer which this defense could really use.

Thoughts?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed I love the kid and scouts have been comparing him to Peppers since last year. Insane talent, but won't be there at 10.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Well, two things come to mind. The first being that he won't be avaliable at 10. The second being, do we need another DE? Berry and Chike are a great tandem.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, Scouts INC. first mock has us taking him at 10.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Redsz said:
Well, two things come to mind. The first being that he won't be avaliable at 10. The second being, do we need another DE? Berry and Chike are a great tandem.

But that is the very definition of BPA. If he truely is the Best Player Avail.. you take him regardless of position.

Most didn't think WR was a position of need when we drafted Fitz, but that has certainly worked out well.

Buffalo didn't really "need" Mcgahee when they had Travis Henry, but that worked out well.

There are tons of other examples.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
clif said:
But that is the very definition of BPA. If he truely is the Best Player Avail.. you take him regardless of position.

Most didn't think WR was a position of need when we drafted Fitz, but that has certainly worked out well.

Buffalo didn't really "need" Mcgahee when they had Travis Henry, but that worked out well.

There are tons of other examples.

There TRULY are... :)

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Except we really don't follow BPA. It's more like BPA while factoring in needs.

Apart from WR, DE is one of the strongest units on this team. Berry is a pro bowler, Chike is very good and Smith and Pace provide good depth behind them.

Hypothetically, if you drafted him, where you play him? How would you use him?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Redsz said:

Apart from WR, DE is one of the strongest units on this team. Berry is a pro bowler, Chike is very good and Smith and Pace provide good depth behind them.

If we are on the "clock" and he's there, maybe we trade down.... add a pick..

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Redsz said:

I would use him kinda the way Baltimore is using Suggs. Situational pass rusher. I think Suggs has averaged 10 sacks a year IINM.

I'm telling you Berry and Okeafor are due for a down year, and there is no proof that Pace will be doing anything next year.

I know it is more of a luxury pick, but when talking about the cards is there really ever any "luxury" picks?

Think of Williams filling in for Berry this past year. Do you think players like Harrington and Garrard would have had the same kinda games against that they did? I think not!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
I would use him kinda the way Baltimore is using Suggs. Situational pass rusher. I think Suggs has averaged 10 sacks a year IINM.

I'm telling you Berry and Okeafor are due for a down year, and there is no proof that Pace will be doing anything next year.

I know it is more of a luxury pick, but when talking about the cards is there really ever any "luxury" picks?

Think of Williams filling in for Berry this past year. Do you think players like Harrington and Garrard would have had the same kinda games against that they did? I think not!

I would use Okeafor like Suggs and let Williams play DE myself.

Just having 3 really talented DE's is a huge advantage, you can rotate them to keep them fresh.

Joeshmo and I had this debate a few weeks ago, I just don't think we're in a position where we can NOT draft a player of that caliber just because we already have talent there.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
clif said:

You got it the wrong way around.

Williams is 285-290lbs. He would play opposite of Berry on the front 4. You then ask Okeafer to play the role that Suggs plays in Baltimore. On 5 man fronts you add Okeafer to the outside and move Williams to the inside of which he is big enough for. Or on pass rushing downs you move Williams to the inside in place of the slant NT and put Okeafer on the outside, making up a pass rushing front 4 unit. Rotate in Okeafer to give Berry or Williams a rest a few times a game. Ect, Ect, Ect. Okeafer should still get plenty of playing time in those roles, and maybe even be able to contribute on special teams to justify his salary.

Depending on the FA's we pick up and the needs we fill I am all for Williams, but only if we fill a few of the other needs first in FA.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I would use Okeafor like Suggs and let Williams play DE myself.

Just having 3 really talented DE's is a huge advantage, you can rotate them to keep them fresh.

Joeshmo and I had this debate a few weeks ago, I just don't think we're in a position where we can NOT draft a player of that caliber just because we already have talent there.

joeshmo said:
You got it the wrong way around.

Williams is 285-290lbs. He would play opposite of Berry on the front 4. You then ask Okeafer to play the role that Suggs plays in Baltimore.

Both of you guys are right. I got so freakin excited I forgot that Okeafor was on the smallish side and would be a better fit for a rush LB type position than Williams. I think he even did some of this earlier in the year.

Man that would be freaking fantastic! We would have a monster pass rush.

I would add a Gabe Watson in the second and re-sign Davis to man the middle and away we go..

:drool:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
clif said:

I kinda think Berry and Chike had their 'down' years this year. Berry was out injured and Chike wasn't effective as he could be because of all the injuries to the front four. But thats just my opinion.

I like your thinking in terms of the situational pass rushers. But then I look at what Wilson and Dansby do with their blitzes and then what Blackstock could potentially add and I just think, could he really add that much?

He is a very good player. So I wouldn't be too upset if we drafted him. But I would like to fix some holes first instead of adding to an already strong core of players at DE.

nickolaskus

Reaction score
clif said:
Then Mario Williams should be our pick (if he is there at 10). Wow!

Did you guys see his game against South Florida? I know USF as anything but a top tier program, but this guy was an absolute monster. All I could think of was wow he truely is a "man among boys".

Whoever compared his freakish abilities to Peppers was dead on. The guy can get after the passer and he impressed me with his instincts. A couple times USF tried to fool him into overrunning the play.... ah...NOT! While possessing great pass rush abilities he also seemed to hold his own in run downs.

If you ever get a chance to go back and watch the tape..DO IT! I also like his running make Tralock (sp?)

I know this is not neccessarily a position of need, but man we would look great spelling Okeafor and Berry for a year or so and if those two start to tail off this guy can step right in.

You never can have enough guys to rush the passer.

Every single player (with the exception of Reggie Bush) has IMO an "equal" who can be had in the later rounds.. (ie Ngata..Wright...Watson, or Cutler, Whitehurst, Croyle)

This guy is on another level. Imagine Pendy letting this guy run wild on the outside. I consider him a game changer which this defense could really use.

Thoughts?

Hey guys first post here. Just a quick question.

I haven't seen this guy play before, but if he has Julius Peppers type ability, wouldnt he be way off of the board by 10? Julius went #1 overall. Or is there something about him that makes him a 6-12 pick, and not a #1 pick?

Last edited:
OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
nickolaskus said:

I haven't seen this guy play before, but if he has Julius Peppers type ability, wouldnt he be way off of the board by 10? Julius went #1 overall. Or is there something about him that makes him a 6-12 pick, and not a #1 pick?

Welcome,

Probably. I was just opening up the idea that IF he was avail.. we shouldn't pass him up. I will say though that I have yet to see a mock that has him in the top 5. Of course that probably had to do with the fact that he just declared over the weekend.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
nickolaskus said:

His athletic ability is comparable to Peppers. But I wouldn't say Williams is on the same level. I guess people see a very athletic DE and make the natural comparison.

The reason he isn't projected as #1 overall is because he isn't the calibur of prospect that say Reggie Bush or Lienart are. You have also got to factor in team needs as well.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I would be

shocked beyond belief if there is a top tier OT or OG available, that we trully believe wil come in and have an immediate impact, and we draft Dline instead.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
It's true that Graves and Green go for the top player on their board, BUT the board has been adjusted to the teams needs, meaning that even if a OT is rated slightly lower than a DE then the need for OT moves the OT ahead of the DE on the draft board.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redsz said:

Yep. Berry went down half way through the season. It would have been great to have a high caliber backup. No knock with Berry or Chike but you can always use talent.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
BPA seems to turn into BPAAPON every season. doesn't it?
It's a combination between the two. The way I understand it, they adjust the draft board to needs, but stay true to that draft board and the BPA on draft day.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser