I'm so sick of hearing about the Suns' minutes

Tim

Reaction score
Did anyone hear Walton say before one of the OT periods that the Mavericks have an advantage because they are "deeper" and their guys have gotten more rest. It's ridiculous. The following are the top 3 in minutes played for each team:

Nash - 48
Bell - 53
Marion - 47

Terry - 54
Nowitzki - 56
Howard - 45

Um Bill, when did the Mavs get that extra rest?

This misconception has gotten so far out of hand. Everyone likes to equate the fact that the Suns don't play 9 or 10 guys to mean that their starters play too many minutes. The difference is that the Suns top 6 are all very high quality players that deserve 30+ minutes. There is no other team in the league that can say that. Typically when you get to a teams' 4th, 5th & 6th best players, they are players that only deserve 20-25 minutes. Thus, you have to go deeper on the bench to supplement their minutes. This is not the case for the Suns. When you have 6 players that deserve big time minutes, there aren't many minutes left over.

The Suns have 3 guys on their team that avg. in the top 50 in minutes (Marion #10, Bell #18, & Nash #42). The Mavs have 3 in top 50 as well. If any team is playing their top guys too much it is the Wizards. They have 3 guys in the top 11 in minutes in the NBA. You don't hear about them. You would think, by listening to some of the media, that Marion, Nash, & Bell were 1/2/3 in the league in minutes!

Sorry for the long post. That's my rant.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In a perfect world the Suns players would play less minutes, which according to some experts, would mean they'd be fresher for the playoffs. I ended up switching from the ESPN broadcast, and listening to EJ he mentioned the Mavs looked cooked physically, he specifically mentioned Dirk.

mribnik

Reaction score
In a perfect world the Suns players would play less minutes, which according to some experts, would mean they'd be fresher for the playoffs. I ended up switching from the ESPN broadcast, and listening to EJ he mentioned the Mavs looked cooked physically, he specifically mentioned Dirk.

Whereas Amare and Marion looked great at the end of the game.

Steel Sun

I hate John Paxson
Reaction score

exactly, and Dirk is a jump shooter . see where he put that last shot.(short/front rim)
I would say he was pretty tired,where the suns looked pretty fresh as EJ did point out.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Exactly, while not ideal, the Suns players are better prepared for big minutes